TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #451
jshorr

I got one of these units and I have three quick questions......1, anyone ever notice it taking a really long time "cleaning up" before dialing the initial program data call? This was on a unit that was set up before I got it (open box) that I told to rerun guided setup. 2) I notice the menus don't seem to come up all that quickly from time to time....one time I went to something and it scrolled onto the screen really slowly. 3) I can hear the hard drive, it's not loud but not super quiet either.

Anyone experience some/all of this, should I be concerned at all? Thanks.
jshorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #452
Phillip Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshorr
I got one of these units and I have three quick questions......1, anyone ever notice it taking a really long time "cleaning up" before dialing the initial program data call? This was on a unit that was set up before I got it (open box) that I told to rerun guided setup.
This is pretty common. I think it took almost two hours to "clean up". Eventually when "cleaning up" it will begin to give you a percentage. Just let it sit and do it's thing. Concerning menu speed, after a few days the Tivo should download some updates that will make everything run faster. Everything appears to be running as expected with your unit.
Phillip Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #453
jshorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Chapman
This is pretty common. I think it took almost two hours to "clean up". Eventually when "cleaning up" it will begin to give you a percentage. Just let it sit and do it's thing. Concerning menu speed, after a few days the Tivo should download some updates that will make everything run faster. Everything appears to be running as expected with your unit.
I appreciate the information, thanks. I was a little surprised to see it happen a second time after the first call failed though. I won't worry about it. As for the other thing.....since someone else had it before me, I wonder if they already got the updates....what software version are you on? It wasn't like the menus were all super slow or anything.....people on another forum got me paranoid that someone may have fooled around with the TiVo before returning it to Best Buy....I've seen no evidence of that though so it is probably just paranoia.

Also I didn't search the whole thread but do you know what the max recording speed of the unit is?

Last edited by jshorr : 08-01-2005 at 11:28 AM.
jshorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:52 PM   #454
DarkShadows

I have a question in regards to quality of the video as it passes out through the composite cables.

I don't have the ideal setup with the TV I am using with my RS-TX20, I am passing the video signal out via composite cables(Monster cables).then out to the TV.

The picture via COAX on my TV is fine as passed through the unit but through the composite cables through my receiver it's quite grainy and the color is not as good as well.

Any tips or suggestions or is that the norm running off composite?
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #455
ashu
User title defunct

Composite SHOULD be better than Coaxial. Something's wrong somewhere. Bad cables, connectors, pass-through (on the receiver) etc. How does a direct connection (TiVo to TV) look?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:37 AM   #456
Bruzer

I too have a question about video quality:

My TV only has COAX input, so a bought an RCA CRF910 RF Modulator, which has both Composite and S-Video inputs. Everything I read says that S-Video should provide a better picture, however when I use that, I get "ghosting". It's especially noticeable when I look at banner descriptions in Live TV (I'll see 2-3 extra outlines around the text). I don't see this problem with the Composite inputs. The S-Video cable I have isn't "Monster Cable" quality, so I don't know if that's an issue or not. Has anyone else noticed this difference? Would a different modulator help (any recommendations)?

Thanks for the help.
Bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:44 AM   #457
Xab

If anyone has any idea why the 1131 code doesn't work for Bose receivers, or knows what code does work for them, please post it.
Xab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:24 PM   #458
ashu
User title defunct

Bruzer:
Monster Cable isn't QUALITY, unless you prefeix the noun with the adjectives overpriced, average, or even sub-par

Get a decent Recoton or Acoustic Research cable (shouldn't cost over 5-8) and try again. The TRULY cheap/thin/plastic grade ones may be bad ... but I've never noticed a difference You may just have a faulty one.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 08-05-2005, 01:37 AM   #459
Bruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
Bruzer:
Monster Cable isn't QUALITY, unless you prefeix the noun with the adjectives overpriced, average, or even sub-par

Get a decent Recoton or Acoustic Research cable (shouldn't cost over 5-8) and try again. The TRULY cheap/thin/plastic grade ones may be bad ... but I've never noticed a difference You may just have a faulty one.
Actually, the one I have is a Recoton and I had been using it to connect between my DVD player and another TV. The picture has seemed fine, so that's why I suspect that it's not the cable. I'm wondering if I just picked a cheap quality RF modulator.
Bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:24 AM   #460
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

For those interested in TiVo To Go for the burner units, plus some hinted at improvements, you may want to check out this thread posted by TiVoPony in the Coffee House.
LiveBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #461
lordrichter

I have mixed feelings about updating the DVD writer TiVo software up to the "7.x" area. I am not interested in TiVoToGo on the Toshiba and I am not sure that the other improvements are worth it. I don't think that it will mess anything up, just not having any software problems with my Toshiba and if it ain't fixed...
Old 08-09-2005, 03:35 PM   #462
jangelj

JP1 upgrade code?

Has anyone created an upgrade code for JP1 remotes for the Toshiba units? I found one in the JP1 yahoo group but it is for the other Toshiba DVD Tivo unit (I think).

j
jangelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:26 PM   #463
jkociol

When will TIVOTOGO be out for the Toshiba Tivo DVD???????????
jkociol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:29 PM   #464
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkociol
When will TIVOTOGO be out for the Toshiba Tivo DVD???????????
When, oh When, for the love of *** will people learn to read?

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 08-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #465
jkociol

Hey dude, you don't need to be obnoxious. I work full time and have a family at home so I don't have much time to read an entire message board. I guess you have too much time on your hands.

When, oh when, will people let people be and don't need to be such a jerk!
Old 08-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #466
jkociol

I still don't see you answer from your read link, ASHU, will you be kind enough to give a straight answer.

thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 05:27 PM   #467
azitnay

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=253047

BTW, the post ashu linked to contained a link to this thread.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #468
jkociol

Hey great! Thank you.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:16 AM   #469
ber

Question Re Tivo To Go

Quote:
Hey dude, you don't need to be obnoxious. I work full time and have a family at home so I don't have much time to read an entire message board. I guess you have too much time on your hands.

When, oh when, will people let people be and don't need to be such a jerk!
This may be a stupid question...but i will ask it anyway....I have an RS-TX....what additional advantanges will TIVO TO GO proivde for me...given that i can burn programs any time i want to transfer them to a computer or mobile divice....i obviously see the advantages to stand alone TIVO uses with units not allowing burning...but not our units or a HUMAX
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:35 AM   #470
jkociol

I do sometimes watch movies on my laptop and/or PC. I think it will be easier than burning a DVD everytime.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:12 AM   #471
Johnny Quest

ber - there is no advantage, in the time it would take you tranfer via Tivo to Go, you could burn and rip to your computer, plus you wouldn't be limited in the software that you could use to edit the content like you are with TTG.
Johnny Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:14 PM   #472
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
I still don't see you answer from your read link, ASHU, will you be kind enough to give a straight answer.

thanks
Sorry, I wasn't in a straight answers mood. Obnoxiousness begets obnoxiousness.

As Drew pointed out, my link (to a message a scant 3 messages prior to your message!) contained a link to the thread with the info. But obviously that was way too convoluted.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 08-11-2005, 09:37 PM   #473
slyone

Video is much darker?

Hey everyone......I too just got into these Tivo units and seem to really enjoy the benefits of this type of system! I have found that the darker scenes in movies are very blotchy? dark and is that pixelation? That is the 1 big con I have noticed. I too have issues when saving a normal movie, it reports it will take 2 dvd's(on some)? I do and have always (2-3 wks.) recorded all shows at Best quality. Is there any way to find bitrate info on these units or better yet, change it? Thanks and glad to be onboard!
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:53 PM   #474
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyone
That is the 1 big con I have noticed. I too have issues when saving a normal movie, it reports it will take 2 dvd's(on some)? I do and have always (2-3 wks.) recorded all shows at Best quality. Is there any way to find bitrate info on these units or better yet, change it? Thanks and glad to be onboard!
Best Quality will only allow you to fit 1 hour on a DVD. If you lower your recording quality, you can obviously fit more onto a disc.

Go to Messages & Settings, Settings, Recording, Recording Quality, if you want to change your default level (it'll also show you how much you can fit on a DVD at each level). Or, when scheduling shows, override your default quality if you know you're going to want to burn it onto a disc.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:36 PM   #475
tazzftw

Woo, my TX20 has just arrived.

Yeah, those black lines are there. But apparently one connection to Tivo will solve that.
tazzftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:09 PM   #476
wongat

rs-tx20 keeps recording even in standby mode

The manual says that the rs-tx20 should stop recording after 30 minutes if you put the machine in standby mode, but I notice that does not occur and it keeps recording 24x7. When I turn on the machine after a night of standby, I can still rewind up to half an hour. I have a friend noticing the same for his machine. I just feel the life expectancy of the hard drive will be much lessened. Is this a Toshiba software bug?
wongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:15 PM   #477
lordrichter

Just let it record 24x7 and forget about standby mode.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #478
windracer
joined the 10k club

Standby mode <> Off

Even in Standby, the HD is still recording the rolling 30-minute Live TV buffer. All Standby does is enable the RF pass-thru so you can watch one show while the TiVo records another (without using an RF splitter, which is the easier solution IMHO).

|
Old 08-12-2005, 04:16 PM   #479
wongat

I am stating a difference between what the manual says about standby mode and what the machine actually does. As long as everybody is experiencing the same thing on there machines, I feel better that I didn't get a broken machine. This could be a documentation error or an implementation they forgot about. Obviously I have no choice but to let the continual recording occur. I like everything about this machine except this 'feature'. I don't need a rolling buffer in the middle of the night, and I want my machine to last. This results in the hard drive working much more than it should. I would also feel better if I knew that this hard drive is easily replaceable like other tivo machines. I'm not paranoid enough yet to take out the hard drive and image it. BTW, my RF pass thru works without putting the machine in standby.
wongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:50 PM   #480
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongat
I am stating a difference between what the manual says about standby mode and what the machine actually does.
I see what you're getting at. On pg. 90 of the manual, the bullet says:

- The DMS will continue to save a portion of Live TV - up to 30 minutes of programming

This does not mean recording stops, it means there will always be 30 minutes in the buffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongat
This results in the hard drive working much more than it should.
Today's HDs are meant to continually spinning. In fact, constantly starting and stopping them reduces their life. The DVR is like any other PC "server" that is meant to be always on. If you turned it off, it wouldn't be able to record your shows.

And you're right, I was incorrect about Standby activating the RF pass-thru. Apparently on the TX20, the pass-thru is always active (I don't think this is the case on the standalones).

|