TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #271
bayvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGriffinFan
Sorry if this is a rookie question--all searches led nowhere...
I have cable telephone, modem, cable package. TIVO folks say Tivo can't work with the digital phone signal thus dropped calls, failures to connect to service messages.
Short of wireless connection is there an adaptation/fix for digital phone service?
Absolutely Bull! I have AT&T digital phone service and Tivo can connect no problem. Internally in your house the digital phone service is exaclty like an analog line, unless you have digital (ISDN) phones.
bayvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 03:38 PM   #272
bayvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenec
I use a Linksys WUSB12 to network my TiVo. It's worked fine for a long time until now. I recently switched from cable to DSL and also a Linksys wireless router to an integrated SBC 2Wire wireless router/DSL Modem. Now, my TiVo finds the network, and I can see the TiVo on my modem/router's network, but I keep getting a No DHCP server error. I've called TiVo, and that didn't help (told me to remove firewall for one sync - never could sync and the other one was "sorry, can't help"". Curiously I also see an error on the TiVo that says that the password may be incorrect yet it shows signal strength. More info if it helps: I have a Mac running OS X 10.4.2. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I have exactly the same problem after my D-Link wireless router died and was replaced. Laptop works great but TIVO cannot find DHCP server. Even with fixed IP it tells me it cannot find the gateway. Worked fine for 6 month.

Any help appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bayvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:54 PM   #273
avilla02

Tivo 540 internet connection failures

i have had my Series 2 service #240 for over a year on my Linksys BEFW11S4 Ver 2 Router with firmware 1.45.10, with software version 7.1 for my home media and tivo to go options. this tivo is on a private DHCP and can connect fine to both my Dell PC with windows XP and to the internet for retrieving programming information.

i recently installed a Series 2 service #540 with a compatible Linksys WUSB11 wireless adapter to connect in similar fashion as my 240. my two tivos can exchange shows like expected. however, it's been 5 days since my 540 tivo was activated and it still cannot connect to tivo servers. i called tech support and they keep telling me to check my router. i have swapped adapters, and encounter the same problem. i even bypassed the router using a hub and wired connection to both tivos on my T1 connection and the same problem exists to rule out the router.

i am curious if anyone has issues with a 540 on a wireless B connecting to tivo servers because i cannot understand why my old 240 can connect for programming while my 540 cannot? they connect using the same hardware and interface, the only difference is the service number. anybody know what the deal is?
avilla02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:16 AM   #274
avilla02

Quote:
Originally Posted by avilla02
i have had my Series 2 service #240 for over a year on my Linksys BEFW11S4 Ver 2 Router with firmware 1.45.10, with software version 7.1 for my home media and tivo to go options. this tivo is on a private DHCP and can connect fine to both my Dell PC with windows XP and to the internet for retrieving programming information.

i recently installed a Series 2 service #540 with a compatible Linksys WUSB11 wireless adapter to connect in similar fashion as my 240. my two tivos can exchange shows like expected. however, it's been 5 days since my 540 tivo was activated and it still cannot connect to tivo servers. i called tech support and they keep telling me to check my router. i have swapped adapters, and encounter the same problem. i even bypassed the router using a hub and wired connection to both tivos on my T1 connection and the same problem exists to rule out the router.

i am curious if anyone has issues with a 540 on a wireless B connecting to tivo servers because i cannot understand why my old 240 can connect for programming while my 540 cannot? they connect using the same hardware and interface, the only difference is the service number. anybody know what the deal is?
I posted my own response to this message since I ended up having to solve this issue myself without any helpful knowledge from Tivo Support:

If you are connecting any Series 2 Tivo to a wireless network in order to get programming information, there are caveats depending on your ISP provider.

If you cannot get your Tivo to connect to the internet and you keep getting either a "failed while configuring" or "failed while negotiating" message then you need to check the version of your Tivo software. If you are running any version other than 7.1 you need to check with your ISP provider to make sure you have a "live IP address" and they aren't "caching" communication with the open internet.

Without getting into gory details about networking schemes, it appears that most ISP's firewall their networks using what are called "caches". This is performed to filter out virus' and help secure the networks for the ISP's customers. What caching does is cause a delay in communication between your Tivo box and the Tivo servers. When this happens the Tivo servers will drop the connection all together and you will never be able to connect over the internet. The fix for this is easy, upgrade to version 7.1. You will have to do this through a phone connection.

To give a more advanced explaination (this is way over Tivo Support's heads), I worked with my T1 ISP to discover and solve this problem. Version 5 software cannot connect thru an ISP's firewall that caches packets. I was told by Tivo it was the firewall on my router....NOT TRUE. I was also told that the problem was not Tivo software related....ALSO NOT TRUE.

To prove myself correct, I asked my ISP administrator to put my IP on the open internet without caching and I was able to connect to Tivo using version 5 software. We tried the same connection going through my ISP's cache and it kept failing. So once my box was upgraded to Version 7, the box connected fine using whether or not my connection was cached. Connections thru the internet does not have to be through a router either, at least in my case for testing and troubleshooting. I only hope that Tivo at some point can understand this issue well enough to help future internet connection problems their customers may have prior to Version 7.1 of the software. On a lighter note, I enjoy both my Tivos and have learned the in's and out's of them well enough to help others so if anyone needs me to explain this better then here feel free to look me up here.
avilla02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:16 PM   #275
yas123

It turns out I was disconnecting the download before it was done without realizing it. TiVo would revert back to live TV at some point during the download and I thought the call was finished so I would disconnect the line. I forced another connection after reading your message and after TiVo went back to live TV I check the connection status and realized that it was still downloading. This time I was smart enough to let it finish. Sure enough about one hour later it was done. I got the pending restart message and after restarting everything has worked as advertised!

Thank you (very much) for your time!![/quote]
yas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:56 PM   #276
Voyagerfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim89523
I just hooked up a TiVo yesterday and struggled through a problem that might be of interest to other newbies! While trying to connect the TiVo to my network today, I could not see "Edit Phone and Network Settings". I had noticed that after going through the 'Guided Setup', the software version was shown as 4.0.1 rather than 4.0.1b! After failing to find information, FAQ says that the TiVo should update after making a connection over the phone, I phoned Tech Support. I was advised that it takes several connections and several days to fully update to the latest version, unless the user forces the phone connections until the software version is updated on the 'System Information' page.

What if we have no land line.....?

Voyagerfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:56 AM   #277
Ingersoll

I see BestBuy has the Netgear WG111NA USB adapter on sale starting today for $30 after rebates. I know there were some initial hiccups with this one on a series 2 standalone Tivo, any idea if it works ok at this point?

Also I'm guessing there's still no support for the "G" speed on this? I'm torn between this and a Linksys WUSB12, which costs a little more but I hear is easier to set up. I've got a Linksys WRT54G router currently so maybe I'll go that direction. decisions, decisions... Thanks in advance!
Ingersoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:24 PM   #278
CPUsports

One LinkSys USB adapter works But one doesn't

I have a Tivo Series 2 upstairs with a USB LinkSys adapter that has been working flawlessly for well over a year.

I recently added a second Series 2 (service # starts with 540 /// software v7.1b...)

I ordered another LinkSys adapter. It looks just the same as the first one except that where the first one has USB on both ends of the cable, this one has a cable like a USB printer has (USB into Tivo, different connection into adapter)...

Anyway, the new Tivo won't see the new adapter, and the new adapter doesn't flash network connectivity when attached to the Tivo.

I switched the adapters, and the old adapter works fine with the new Tivo. The new adapter doesn't see the network with the old TIvo...

However, the new adapter connected to the the wireless right away when I plugged it into a PC...

Any thoughts?
CPUsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:15 PM   #279
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

The version number of the adapter is important. Review back over this whole thread -- you'll see that, though, say v3.3 of an adapter will work, v3.4 will not. When the company changes the adapter, they usually manage to change it incompatibly with the existing TiVo software and drivers.
<br>
The version number is generally in tiny print someplace on the network adapter box.
rkcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #280
CPUsports

The one that doesn't function properly is a LinkSys WUSB-11v4.

The one that works is a WUSB-11 v2.8...
CPUsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:40 AM   #281
gfunk

Arrow D-Link DWL-G122 With Tivo series2 80h (Please Help)

Please bare with me guys. I'm new to the tivo service . though i'm good with networking.

Here's my story,

I've just bought a tivo box (tivo series2 80h) service Number starts with 540 , went throughout the guided set up and all went okay.

My problem is :
1- I cannot connect the D-Link DWL-G122 to my tivo box . from the settings page and the phone & network settings . i cannot see the wireless settings there. and my wireless adapter is not detected by my tivo box

2- My tivo box is still using software version 7.1 !! and won't upgrade to 7.2 ! ..

any one can help me here.. any help would be appreciated . thanks
gfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:03 AM   #282
sschr

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_bliss
I have v7.1b on a series 2 540. I bought a Netgear G router with the recommended usb G Netgear adaptor indicated on TiVo's site. I've turned off all security settings and cannot get the Tivo to find the network. I have a PC and Mac able to use the wireless network though.

The odd part, is that the Tivo will detect and connect to two of my neighbor's wireless networks, a Linksys and 2wire. However it cannot seem to find my own wireless network from within my house! How is this possible?
Hopefully, you have resolved your issue. If not, this is what worked for me, it may be worth a look.

On my router, I limit connections to sepecific MAC addresses. There is a page on my Linksys router set up to enter the mac address from the adapter. I was running into the issue of my tivo not recognizing my network, but it found my neighbors without a problem. Once I set the MAC address in the router, Bamm, it works like a champ.

Hope this helps.
sschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #283
awolff1000

Humax Tivo "loses" wireless connection

I've had a Humax Tivo Series 2 with DVD-R (80 hour model) for 2 months, and love the time shifting and DVD-saving features. However, I'm having real trouble getting it to connect and stay connected to my home's existing WiFi network. I'm semi-savvy with computers and networking, but by no means an expert. I would appreciate any help offered. Tivo connects fine through the phone line, but who wants to string that line across the room if wireless is at hand? So I bought, from Tivo itself, a USB adapter, model D-Link DWL-122, speed "b", not "g", and it just ain't working.

The problem is two-fold: Problem 1 - For some reason, the Tivo recognizes the USB adapter when first connected, but later appears to "forget" that the adapter is connected, and thus fails to get the upcoming shows each night. Checking the network status in the morning, it states "connection failed, no adapter". Removing the adapter and snapping it back in, Tivo re-recognizes the adapter, finds the network and assigns itself an address, no problem. Why, 2 hours later, when I go back to check the network status, does it say "no network adapter"?

Problem 2 - Immediately after removing and snapping the adapter back in, I select "test the connection" and gets through the process fine. Then I tell it to "connect to the Tivo service now" to try to force a manual update of the tv shows. It gets through "preparing to connect" but fails at the "negotiating" stage.

Fixes tried: I've restarted the Tivo several times. I've moved the Tivo closer to the wireless router to get more signal. Also tried going through the network setup again and reinstalling the network password (a 10 digit WEP password), but it fails to work no matter what I try.

The network: SBC/Yahoo DSL connection, with Netgear wireless router. Address 192.168.0.1. Router is in the next room, and Tivo notes signal strength of 50-70%. A computer located next to the Tivo connects to the wireless network flawlessly at any time, so I don't think the problem is on the network side.
The Tivo: Humax 80 hour model with DVD recorder. Remote configured to control the Tivo and the channel changing.
The cable TV: Comcast digital cable in Palo Alto, CA, with Motorola cable box.

Anyone have any ideas? Tivo's web site suggests maybe there is a problem with WEP vs. WPA passwords, and the web site has screens showing tinkering with these settings, but for some reason those options don't appear on my Tivo on the "phone & network" screen.

I would rather not have to connect via phone line if there's a wireless network available. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Adrian

awolff1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:16 AM   #284
snake52

OK, so I've had my Tivo Series 2 (software 7.2.0) connected to my Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 Ghz router (WRT54G) with a Linksys USB adapter (WUSB12), no problems since January. A few weeks ago I had to switch laptops, so I connected my internet straight to my new laptop (thus disconnecting the wireless network and Tivo connection).

My IP address comes up as 169.254.70.47 on the Network Connection screen.

Of course, my Tivo information has now run out and I tried to connect my internet back through the wireless router. But the Tivo is not able to make a connection. I go through the process but Tivo cannot connect. Then I tried to set-up the network again through the Tivo with no luck.

I tried pulling the wireless adapter out of the Tivo and test the connection. But I got a "no DHCP server" found.

I don't know if this problem is due to the software I'm running, the switching of chords, or something else.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do from here? Obviously I'm a little frustrated because at this point my Tivo is worthless. Also, I don't have a land line. Thanks a lot.

Jake
snake52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:58 PM   #285
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Reboot your router, then the tivo.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:40 PM   #286
snake52

I tried that and it still didn't work. I got a N24 message and a N02 message on the Network Setup program. It says a DHCP server could not be located on the network.
snake52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:16 AM   #287
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Look at the status pages in your router. Is the DHCP server enabled? Have you enabled MAC address filtering and not included the Tivo adapter's address? For some reason your Tivo isn't seeing the router. You might repeat the wireless setup process on the Tivo.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:18 AM   #288
jg4436

I thought that too untill a sales person with excellent eye sight show me on the right corner of the bottom of the box in really, really small print you will see ver1. You have to lookk hard buts its there.
jg4436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #289
Carl250

Wireless w/ Humax DVR/DVD-R/RW

I apologize if this has been asked before, Iíve read everything I can on wireless for the series 2 and have had no luck. In short my brand new Humax 80 hour DVD-R/RW Tivo isnít recognizing the Netgear WG111 wireless adapter. Iíve tested the USB Ports on the back of the S2 and they respond fine (I hooked up my wired network adapter and it had no problems). I plugged the wireless adapter into my other S2 140hour Tivo and it registered just fine. So why isnít the 80 hour Humax DVD-r/rw Tivo recognizing the wireless adapter?

UPDATE 8:57PM

I made a call to the folks at Tivo and found out that the Humax R59580 is shipping with the v5.x software. The solution to my problem is to get the update to the v7.2 which supports the 802.11.g network adapter. the very nice & professional customer service rep put me on the "priority list" for the update and I can expect it in 1-3 business days.

Last edited by Carl250 : 09-14-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Carl250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:57 AM   #290
Onye

Wireless network Not Found

I have a Linksys WUSB11 which I've connected to my Series 2 running on Tivo software version 7.1 and my home network is on a Apple Extreme. I've through the set up and the Tivo finds the network (usually with +80% signal srength) however when I try to connect it fails because the router cannot find a gateway. Tivo support says I need to make sure ports 8101, 8102, and/or 8200 are open on the router; Apple support say they are only responsible for getting me internet access through the router, port configuration etc is up to the user. OKAY....so much for Support lines.

If anyone knows how to work through this situation I'd really appreciate your help
Onye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #291
chrisreyn

I, too, have read the posts, tried everything I can think of and no success. I am a Tivo newbie, am instantly loving it, but cannot seem to get the wireless connection to work. I do not have a land line, have Vonage, and thus am going with wireless via my comcast cable modem to connect to tivo service (I did guided setup via landline at a neighbors house in same zip code).

I have a Netgear WG111 adapter plugged in to the back of the tivo (with serial no. that starts WG72.... which the tivo link of supported adapters says should work).

I have an Iogear wireless router and print server. An all in one deal. Model GWA501. Once, and only once, did the Tivo find this wireless network and at that time the screen indicated 80% signal. When doing "test connection" it fails on the third step, saying, failed to connect. Tivo phone help says the Iogear router is not supported. Person I spoke to said it was a gateway not a router thus my problem. Hmmm?

So, I went out and bought a brand new belkin wireless g router with built in print server (model no. F5D7231-4P). Tivo cannot find this wireless network either. Crap.

I am using no password protection for either wireless network to make things simple but no luck.
The Tivo is a 540 Series 2 running version 7.1

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been unable to find a Tivo list of supported routers (like they do with adapters).

Thanks,
Chris
chrisreyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:03 AM   #292
mpet29

Hello - I just moved, and now I've got a Tivo problem.

I have a Netgear MA111 wireless adaptor. I know it works with my Tivo because it worked superbly at my old house (which is in the same zip code less than a mile away).

However, now I'm trying to set up the wireless here. I just got my Comcast Linksys router installed, and I was able to set up all the computers with no difficulty. The Tivo finds my network with no problem, but it keeps saying "No DHCP Server." I've gone into my router settings and confirmed that the DHCP Server is enabled, but still no luck.. any ideas? Thanks.

Also - even though the Tivo can find my network fine, the network never sees the Tivo trying to connect to it.
mpet29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:05 PM   #293
Badgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreyn

I have a Netgear WG111 adapter plugged in to the back of the tivo (with serial no. that starts WG72.... which the tivo link of supported adapters says should work).
Where is the serial number found? I'm trying to buy one of these adapters online and I have no clue where to find this number.

Thanks
Badgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:06 PM   #294
Badgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl250
I apologize if this has been asked before, Iíve read everything I can on wireless for the series 2 and have had no luck. In short my brand new Humax 80 hour DVD-R/RW Tivo isnít recognizing the Netgear WG111 wireless adapter. Iíve tested the USB Ports on the back of the S2 and they respond fine (I hooked up my wired network adapter and it had no problems). I plugged the wireless adapter into my other S2 140hour Tivo and it registered just fine. So why isnít the 80 hour Humax DVD-r/rw Tivo recognizing the wireless adapter?

UPDATE 8:57PM

I made a call to the folks at Tivo and found out that the Humax R59580 is shipping with the v5.x software. The solution to my problem is to get the update to the v7.2 which supports the 802.11.g network adapter. the very nice & professional customer service rep put me on the "priority list" for the update and I can expect it in 1-3 business days.
How do you test the USB ports?
Badgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 04:00 PM   #295
PepperTheBoxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstealer
Update: I called Tivo about the problem I'm having getting this DWL-122 to connect to my network. After a half an hour, their suggestion was to try another brand of adapter.

I am not a happy customer.
How ironic is that? Tivo "unofficially" reccomended to me that i try the DWL-122. The tivo guy said that is what they use. But now i've had nothing but problems. And no one in an official capacity (at tivo, humax, dlink) can explain what the problem is.
PepperTheBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:11 PM   #296
XXSASSXX31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoOpsMgr
Hi,

If you are trying to get your TiVo, Sony, Toshiba or Pioneer Series2 DVR to work with a Linksys wireless adapter, please read this thread:
Will my Motorola DCT 6412 work and is it "Tivo2go" or whatever that is for the Wireless adapter?
XXSASSXX31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:16 PM   #297
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

The Motorola DCT 6412 is not a Tivo, and can't do TivoToGo.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #298
wparrish

SD-DVR-120 running software version 6.2-01-2-351

I have a Hughes (Phillips?) SD-DVR-120 running software version 6.2-01-2-351, I bought a Belkin Wireless Adapter that did nothing, then I bought the Linksys WUSB12 as instructed at Tivo web site, it shows a power light when connected and flashes activity one time, however, under setup only shows phone setup even after a system reboot, anyone have any ideas? I was pretty certain this model was a Series 2, am I mistaken? Someone with my setup, please help if you can. Thanks.
wparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #299
XXSASSXX31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobourn
The Motorola DCT 6412 is not a Tivo, and can't do TivoToGo.
Then how would I transfer my videos or programs I recorded on my Motorola DCT 6412 to my computer?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound dumb but I really want to transfer my basketball files and my Tivo unit is awfully full. Please help me or direct me where to go.
XXSASSXX31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:01 PM   #300
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSASSXX31
Then how would I transfer my videos or programs I recorded on my Motorola DCT 6412 to my computer?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound dumb but I really want to transfer my basketball files and my Tivo unit is awfully full. Please help me or direct me where to go.
You don't have a Tivo to be full. You have a DVR. It's like the difference between Kleenex and tissue paper. There is no way that I'm aware of to transfer programs from the Motorola DVR you have, and if there is, the Tivo community forums isn't a likely place to find help doing so, sorry.