TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2005, 05:16 PM   #421
DarkShadows

I just recently purchased a RS-TX20 unit and am in the process of setting up a wireless network.

This weekend I bought the Linksys BEFW11S4 router at Staples for $10.00, my thinking was I could add an inexpensive USB bridge device.

Apparently even though routers have come down dramatically in price, the adapters are still on the pricey side, especially given the fact that this is "B" technology were talking about.

Would I be better off getting a wireless "G" and waiting for the update in the next month or two?

Last edited by DarkShadows : 07-26-2005 at 06:21 PM.
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:30 PM   #422
eldred24

I just got in on the Toshiba deal as well. Question though, I have set up my Tivo remote to control Mute, Input, Power, and Volume when I switch Inputs to the cable input but for some reason can not program the remote to change the channel. It does everything else though. So I always have to use the original remote to change the channel when I am on the normal cable input. Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by eldred24 : 07-26-2005 at 08:36 PM.
eldred24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #423
ashu
User title defunct

Guided Setup determines whether
a. Cable is sent and tuned directly on the TiVo's RF tuner
OR
b. Channels are changed via Serial or IR control on a cable or satellite box.

Can't have your cake and eat it too You'd have to repeat Guided Setup to change what the Channel change buttons control (internal tuner or signals to external decoder box)

Well, actually Satellite + Cable is possible, but not what you're trying to achieve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:58 PM   #424
mikeurz

One more question

Thanks for all your help with my previous questions. One question about wireless connections now. I have a Linksys wireless G router and have attached a Wireless G USB adapter to my Toshiba. I cannot seem to get the two to link. When I go to the setup screen to phone and network settings, all I see are options to change my phone settings but not network. I originally set this device up to access via phone line. Do I need to re-run the setup?
mikeurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:47 AM   #425
azitnay

What model adapter are you using? Is it listed on http://www.tivo.com/adapters/ as a known-to-work adapter?

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #426
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldred24
I just got in on the Toshiba deal as well. Question though, I have set up my Tivo remote to control Mute, Input, Power, and Volume when I switch Inputs to the cable input but for some reason can not program the remote to change the channel. It does everything else though. So I always have to use the original remote to change the channel when I am on the normal cable input. Any suggestions? Thanks

I think the question is - how to change the channel on the TV tuner with the TiVo remote.
short answer - you can not do that with the TiVo remote.

long answer Best Buy and radio shack have universal remotes that can control multiple devices for under 20$ and will get you everything on one remote. JUst be sure to get one tha tcan support the RS TX20. and for that I actually have not looked at the cheap remotes as I won a harmony remote in a contest that normally retails for 100 or more. I like it
Old 07-27-2005, 10:43 AM   #427
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
I think the question is - how to change the channel on the TV tuner with the TiVo remote.
short answer - you can not do that with the TiVo remote.

long answer Best Buy and radio shack have universal remotes that can control multiple devices for under 20$ and will get you everything on one remote. JUst be sure to get one tha tcan support the RS TX20. and for that I actually have not looked at the cheap remotes as I won a harmony remote in a contest that normally retails for 100 or more. I like it
Good catch. No fair - he edited his original question! My first reading made me interpret it as "how do I get the Channel control to control the TiVo's RF tuner for basic cable input AND my external device's channels via Serial/IR". Yeah, over-done

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:03 PM   #428
jangelj

transferring shows

I've read this whole thread (or at least skimmed it) and have a question. I know TTG is not available for the Toshiba DVD units (yet), but if I upgrade to Tivo Plus service, can I then get the .tivo files from the unit to my PC using the h, t, t, p, s, method? (sorry for the spacing, < 5 posts so can put a url)

Do I even need to upgrade to tivoplus to be able to do this? Seems like if I get the unit on my network with an IP address I should be able to get to the files even with tivo basic.
John
jangelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:09 PM   #429
azitnay

1) RS-TX units don't yet have software version 7.x, so not only can they not use TiVoToGo via TiVo Desktop, they don't even run a web server, so the https method is out of the question as well. The https method is essentially a part of TiVoToGo.

2) Since features like TiVoToGo are not available on TiVo Basic, I'd imagine the web interface to the NPL isn't available, either. It's all one and the same.

Drew
Old 07-27-2005, 12:13 PM   #430
jangelj

Thanks for the quick reply!
I was afraid the units wouldn't have the web server. Sucks.

I called tivo yesterday about something else (twice) and both reps I spoke with said that the upgrade for the DVD units wasn't expected until the end of the year or early next year.

This is my first series 2 unit and I just recently discovered all the things you can do with a 7.x series 2 unit. HME, TTG, etc. I am drooling as we speak, but must wait till the software update.

john
jangelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:22 PM   #431
azitnay

Hmm... That's the first "official" word I've heard that it's been pushed back, but then again I'm not sure how official the word of a CS rep really is. We'll just have to wait and see.

Drew
Old 07-27-2005, 03:11 PM   #432
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangelj
I've read this whole thread (or at least skimmed it) and have a question. I know TTG is not available for the Toshiba DVD units (yet), but if I upgrade to Tivo Plus service, can I then get the .tivo files from the unit to my PC using the h, t, t, p, s, method? (sorry for the spacing, < 5 posts so can put a url)

Do I even need to upgrade to tivoplus to be able to do this? Seems like if I get the unit on my network with an IP address I should be able to get to the files even with tivo basic.
John
Well, TTG and the https interface both require a media access key (MAK) which you won't have unless you subscribe to TiVo Plus. I'm sure if you try and hit the https port with your browser, you'll get the login, but unless you know your MAK, it won't do you any good.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:37 PM   #433
holidayidol

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
Well, TTG and the https interface both require a media access key (MAK) which you won't have unless you subscribe to TiVo Plus. I'm sure if you try and hit the https port with your browser, you'll get the login, but unless you know your MAK, it won't do you any good.
I was able to get my MAK without subscribing to TiVo Plus.

To accomplish that, I went to the website and established a login and password. I started through the first couple of steps in the registration process, and then when it got to the actual TiVo Plus subscription part, I backed out.

Then when I logged back in, my MAK was in the top right corner.
holidayidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #434
azitnay

Ok... So your tivo.com account has a MAK. But I don't think your account has any concept of the TiVo Basic box, right? Thus, your TiVo Basic box won't work with that MAK.

Drew
Old 07-27-2005, 04:48 PM   #435
holidayidol

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
Ok... So your tivo.com account has a MAK. But I don't think your account has any concept of the TiVo Basic box, right? Thus, your TiVo Basic box won't work with that MAK.
I don't know because I can't test it regardless on an RS-TX20!
Kind of a catch-22 isn't it.
holidayidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:24 AM   #436
jdean5

"blackening"

Hi...

I seem to remember a few posts on here regarding "blackening" (?) Not sure if it was called that exactly, but I've had my Toshiba TX-20 for a few weeks now and just now I'm noticing that on certain shows it gets very dark...if someone is wearing black or if the background is black, everything seems to disappear. Can someone refresh my memory on this? What is it exactly and can it be prevented? Do I need to record at a higher quality (I use Medium for the most part)? Is this a glitch in the unit they haven't perfected yet? Any info is appreciated. Thanks for your help.
jdean5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:06 AM   #437
lordrichter

Some people claim the Toshiba and Humax DVD writer units "crush" the blacks. I dunno entirely what that means, and it sounds ominous, if not painful, but so far the only solution I have seen has been to not purchase the Toshiba and Humax DVD writer units.

It might be something to do with the software that is encoding the signal, or in the hardware itself. I doubt that changing the recording quality will change this because the kind of people that have complained about this in the past include those types that would never record at less than Best quality, anyway. Still, it might be worth a try because it might improve the situation.

I am trying to remain blissfully ignorant of any problems related to blacks displayed on my TV. This is obviously something that I am not noticing on my TX-20 and I am afraid if I know too much I might start noticing it, then it would bug me.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:20 AM   #438
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayidol
I don't know because I can't test it regardless on an RS-TX20!
Kind of a catch-22 isn't it.
Well, you could try to login to the https port with that MAK you received, but it probably won't work (I'm sure they thought of that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdean5
I seem to remember a few posts on here regarding "blackening" (?)
I've noticed darker (crushed) blacks as well, but I figured it was my TV. Increasing the brightness and contrast seemed to help a bit.

|
Old 07-28-2005, 11:25 AM   #439
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
Well, you could try to login to the https port with that MAK you received, but it probably won't work (I'm sure they thought of that).
RS-TX units are still running 5.x, which didn't even have a webserver running, right?

Drew
Old 07-28-2005, 01:53 PM   #440
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
RS-TX units are still running 5.x, which didn't even have a webserver running, right?
Whoops, my mistake ... got it all confused with my 7.1 box. That's what I get for replying at work when I'm not in front of the machines to test my "theories."

|
Old 07-28-2005, 03:11 PM   #441
Mikeguy

New owner, here--couldn't resist the Best Buy offer and had been considering this unit since before it issued.

A quick question: are the various "back door" hacks I see posted around the web possible on the Toshiba player? (Or will I kill the unit by trying them?!?) Any favorite place where the most useful and other tips may be found?

And does the 30 second skip modification work with the Toshiba? I thought I may have read somewhere that it does not (but my mind is a haze at this point--I just finished reading this entire thread!).

Thanks!
Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:17 PM   #442
azitnay

Backdoors require a backdoor key sequence to be entered, and unfortunately, it's been quite a few versions since anyone's come up with the correct key sequence. It's still possible to enable them with some more advanced hacks, though.

30-second skip works fine with the RS-TX units... You might have heard that it doesn't work with the Toshiba SD-H400 DVD player unit, which is true.

Drew
Old 07-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #443
jdean5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrichter
Some people claim the Toshiba and Humax DVD writer units "crush" the blacks. I dunno entirely what that means, and it sounds ominous, if not painful, but so far the only solution I have seen has been to not purchase the Toshiba and Humax DVD writer units.

It might be something to do with the software that is encoding the signal, or in the hardware itself. I doubt that changing the recording quality will change this because the kind of people that have complained about this in the past include those types that would never record at less than Best quality, anyway. Still, it might be worth a try because it might improve the situation.

I am trying to remain blissfully ignorant of any problems related to blacks displayed on my TV. This is obviously something that I am not noticing on my TX-20 and I am afraid if I know too much I might start noticing it, then it would bug me.
"Crush" ...that was the word. Thanks. I totally understand the "blissfully ignorant" part. I hesitated for a week to actually post on here because I didn't want to admit what I was seeing. Funny thing is, I didn't notice it at first and it only seems to be on one certain show I record. I'll live with it (or maybe try a higher quality for the heck of it) because I love the unit otherwise. Thanks!
jdean5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:59 AM   #444
taxman69

I recently acquired the RS-TX20 and am taking advantage of the free trial of TIVO PLUS. I know that when the trial ends and reverts to the Tivo Basic, that I will not be able to search for shows to record based on titles (I will be basically limited to recording by time and channel).

However, when the program is saved:

(1) will the Tivo recognize the name of the program, or will it always just say the day and time of the recording

(2) will the programs be organized into folders like they are now

and

(3) when I record out to a DVD, will it have the program name in the title as it does now?

Thanks!

John
taxman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 03:06 AM   #445
Xab

Question,

I use a Bose 321GS system, and when I pick Bose from the AV receiver list in the remote control settings, the 1131 code it gives does NOT work for volume/mute on my Bose receiver.

Is there a different code that does work?
Xab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:58 AM   #446
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman69
(1) will the Tivo recognize the name of the program, or will it always just say the day and time of the recording
Yes, you still get program Guide data, so you will still see the name of the show recorded.

Quote:
(2) will the programs be organized into folders like they are now
Nope, that's part of TiVo Plus. See here:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...ic/tv1199.htm?

Quote:
(3) when I record out to a DVD, will it have the program name in the title as it does now?
Yes.

|
Old 07-31-2005, 02:56 PM   #447
tivojanuary

what brand/type media are you recording on. i have the toshiba rs-tx20 and want to buy in bulk but i would like to know what brand dvd-r are reliable with this machine. thanks for any help.

ps...i have used rca and verbatim with some success.
tivojanuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:34 PM   #448
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivojanuary
what brand/type media are you recording on. i have the toshiba rs-tx20 and want to buy in bulk but i would like to know what brand dvd-r are reliable with this machine. thanks for any help.
I'm using TDK's 8x DVD-Rs, and Memorex's 2x DVD-RWs ... no problems yet.

|
Old 07-31-2005, 11:48 PM   #449
oly4him

Expand Hard Drive?

RS-TX20

I am running out of space a lot quicker than I would have thought.

Is there anyway to add an additional hard drive internally, or even externally through the second USB port?
oly4him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:47 AM   #450
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oly4him
RS-TX20

I am running out of space a lot quicker than I would have thought.

Is there anyway to add an additional hard drive internally, or even externally through the second USB port?
I think there is room inside for only one hard drive, so if you want to increase storage, you need to replace that hard drive with a new one. You cannot attach a USB drive.

One place to look: http://www.weaknees.com/toshiba_tx20.php