TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2005, 04:07 PM   #391
Nolzman

Just purchased a TX20 and I have a simply question. Does the box contain a cable ready tuner (i.e. VCR). The reason I ask is this unit is for my in-laws and they have basic cable only. No cable box necessary, but do have a cable box. Can I split the cable and have one go to the cable box then onto the TV, and one to the TX20 and then to the TV. That way they can record one thing and watch another.

Does the unit have more than one TV tuner? What is the best way to set this up with a basic cable box?
Nolzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:59 PM   #392
azitnay

Yes, the RS-TX20 and all other SA TiVos have tuners built-in, so you can use them with "no cable box" cable setups.

Only one tuner, BTW.

You'll probably want to split the cable before the cable box, so you can watch live TV on one side and record TiVo on the other. If they need/want to record channels they only receive over the cable box, you'll have to connect the cable box to the TiVo and fiddle with the IR blasters. However, if they can live with only recording channels they receive straight off the wire, you can leave the cable box on the TV side of things and let the TiVo tune basic cable itself.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:29 PM   #393
Runch Machine

Actually you don't have to split the cable. The RS-TX 20 has an RF (TV Signal) pass through. Connect the cable directly to the top RF connecter, Connect another coax cable to the bottom RF connector and to the TV. This will result in a better picture and less signal loss. This is how I use it and it works great.

Note that in order to see a picture from the RS-TX20 you have to connect it to the TV via video and audio jacks. This unit does NOT send a signal on channel 3 like a VCR. Just to be clear this unit does have cable ready tuner. When you set it up you tell it cable input or TV antenna input during guided set up.
DirecTV HR20 DVR with 1 terrabyte Drive inside.
Runch Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:34 PM   #394
azitnay

Good point... If it wasn't passthrough-only, I'd still recommend splitting, just so you don't have to hassle with standby all the time. But with passthrough, yours is clearly the best way.

Drew
Old 07-20-2005, 07:54 PM   #395
mindstorm

Recording 16:9 Camcorder footage

Does anyone know if the RS-TX series supports the saving of camcorder footage shot in 16:9 format in that aspect ratio? So far, I've had no luck in getting the camcorder footage to come out in the correct format (16:9). When I save from my camcorder to the RS-TX unit, the unit "squeezes" the video into 4:3 format --my wife likes it since she says we all look thinner

So far I have tried recording to the unit via s-video and firewire.

I still have not explored all the output options in my camcorder (Sony) so there way be so way there to preserve the aspect ratio, but I wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this issue and discovered a workaround.

Thanks,

Doug
mindstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:10 PM   #396
bamaman

I have a question about recording to the DVD. Is there a way to record the contents of a folder? Say I have 3 episodes of Six Feet Under in the folder and I want to record all of them to the DVD, can I tell the DVD recorder to record all that is in the folder or do I have to record each show one at a time?
Thanks
bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:34 PM   #397
azitnay

One at a time... Not a big deal, since you'll most likely never be putting more than 8 of anything on a single disc anyway. And this way, you can order them.

Drew
Old 07-20-2005, 10:38 PM   #398
windracer
joined the 10k club

Right, so technically it's not one at a time. You can queue up a bunch of shows (in any order, as azitnay mentioned) to burn to DVD (as many as will fit).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:45 PM   #399
azitnay

Ahh... I misread the question a bit. Select them one at a time, but burn them all at once, indeed.

Drew
Old 07-20-2005, 11:13 PM   #400
Runch Machine

I was wondering if I could record a DVD movie to the hard drive and then burn it to a DVD. I found that it allows a movie to be copied to the hard drive but when you go to make a DVD it doesn't allow you to select the movie. The check box has a circle with a line through it.

My question is, How does it know it is a program that is not to be copied? To get the movie on to the hard drive I connected an external DVD player to the S-Video input on the front. The result is an analog copy on the hard drive. How is this any different, technically, then connecting a camcorder with home movies on it and making a DVD copy?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:33 PM   #401
azitnay

The TiVo presumably picked up the Macrovision copy protection embedded into the analog stream of the DVD. Your home movies most certainly would not have this protection.

Drew
Old 07-21-2005, 11:52 AM   #402
ROB-USA

Your Concern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_r_reed
Just bought a DVR Model RS-TX20 on Saturday. My first TiVo ever. Did I make a good choice?

Was $599 at Best Buy with $200 mail in rebate.

Was an impulse buy.

An odd thing I noticed was quite a few surface scratches in the face plate of the unit. The packaging was sealed (box and internal bag). Anyone else experience this?

I'd expect a brand new unit, fresh out of the box to have no blemishes of any kind. Was not the case on mine.

J.R.
I have had this model since dec 04 and burned over 250 disks so far with not ONE failure. I couldn't be happier...I've never had a bad experience in audio/video quality.

My only issue is... as a user of this particular model is.. we've been told the Tivo2Go functionality will be forthcoming sometime in 2005. Well, it's already near the end of July and we still don't have it.
ROB-USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:12 AM   #403
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB-USA
I have had this model since dec 04 and burned over 250 disks so far with not ONE failure. I couldn't be happier...I've never had a bad experience in audio/video quality.

My only issue is... as a user of this particular model is.. we've been told the Tivo2Go functionality will be forthcoming sometime in 2005. Well, it's already near the end of July and we still don't have it.

they said summer of 2005 so that can mean August or September as well.
patience.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:17 AM   #404
Runch Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_r_reed
Just bought a DVR Model RS-TX20 on Saturday. My first TiVo ever. Did I make a good choice?

Was $599 at Best Buy with $200 mail in rebate.

Was an impulse buy.

An odd thing I noticed was quite a few surface scratches in the face plate of the unit. The packaging was sealed (box and internal bag). Anyone else experience this?

I'd expect a brand new unit, fresh out of the box to have no blemishes of any kind. Was not the case on mine.

J.R.
There is a strip of clear plactic tape over the front face plate display to protect it. You need to peel it off, then the front will look perfect. Look carefully around the edge and you will see the plastic tape to peel off.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #405
omextreme

tx20 blinking "digital static"

I just bought a tx20 and i have this blinking static type stuff in the menus. It is on the composite output, not the component?? It is really bothering me,

running
5.4-01-2
dvr109r2 1.25

Seems to be in sync with the hd running, just setit up so i cannot record anything untill it is done doing it's update thing, 4+ hours apparently

Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg static 009.jpg (42.3 KB, 25 views)
omextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:36 PM   #406
zmlb20

Odd problems recording on my RS-TX60

Hi - Have had the RS-TX60 for some time now but one odd problem with recording to DVDs. Generally, I save movies at "high" quality which typically records at 2 hours and thus will fit on a singe DVD. But occasionally I get a program with goes over 2 hours and, regardless of how long over 2 hours, I get varying requirements on the number of DVDs required for the burn (e.g. a show that saved at 2 hrs 4 minutes wants 3 DVDs to complete the burn and a show that saved at 3 hrs wants 4 DVDs to complete the burn). Anybody else experienced this? Any suggestions? Thanks...
zmlb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #407
stuart2

[quote=Runch Machine]I was wondering if I could record a DVD movie to the hard drive and then burn it to a DVD. I found that it allows a movie to be copied to the hard drive but when you go to make a DVD it doesn't allow you to select the movie. The check box has a circle with a line through it.

hi i also have same problem original dvd is my own dvd i was making back up its not working please help me
stuart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:28 PM   #408
ashu
User title defunct

omextreme: I *think* a new software update that corrects that issue will download to your Toshiba. The factory software had that issue, and the next upgrade fixed it. Patience (and force a couple of connections perhaps?)

zmlb20: have you avctually gone ahead and attempted to burn it anyway? perhaps it merely reports 3 in error (although that is a reportable error) and does, in fact, finish with just two DVDs as expected. No idea how you would report that error though. I wonder whether others also encounter it? I've never seen it myself.

stuart2 and Runch Machine, commerical DVDs have MacroVision (google for that). TiVo respects that directive/flag (it is meant to prevent copying) and while you can copy a DVD to the TiVo itself, it WILL NOT let you burn that DVD to another blank DVD. That would be illegal. If you burn a DVD with home movies on your PC or another DVD burner (or, indeed, the Toshiba istelf), and then play it back externally and record it to the Toshiba - it will lack the MacroVision flag, and will, in fact, be burnable to DVD.

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:51 AM   #409
stuart2

thanks ashu
you are expert
stuart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:43 PM   #410
zmlb20

omextreme - thanks for the info. Guess your are referring to a Toshiba software update from the Toshiba site - not from my regular Tivo updates (it updates regularly via broadband connection).

No, I have not actually tried to burn on. I wondered also if it was just reporting multiple disks when it will actually finish with two.

Thanks again... I'll look for a firmware upgrade on the Toshiba site.
zmlb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:38 PM   #411
squirrelwithnuts

Thumbs up How I edit shows from RS-TX20

1. I burn off the video onto how ever many disks it says I need (dvd-rw baby)
2. I use DVD decryptor in ifo mode to demux the audio and video giving you pcm and mp2
3. I use HeadAC3he and encode the audio into 48Hz .wav
4. Repeat for each dvd if applicable
5. I use adobe premiere to remove the commercials and combine the video if applicable
6. I burn this onto a dvd if I do not want a fancy menu. I can even have it loop if I do something for work and it to re-run
7. I use Encore to make a pretty menu and add my shows and make a nice menu driven DVD.

So far I have seen no diff in quality over watching it off of the tivo because I never really re-encoded the video. I basically demux it cut it re-mux it. Perfect every time.

I will also add that my copies of adobe are not necessarily legal. I know I know shame on me... but if I could afford them I would probably use something better anyway.
squirrelwithnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:26 PM   #412
mikeurz

New Toshiba Owner

I am new to TIVO and to my Toshiba RS-TX20. Couple questions, and I apologize if these have been asked before. I have Comcast Cable and am using the serial connector to change channels. It works, but:

Channel changing is very slow. I press my selection off the guide then the numbers slowly appear on my screen and then I go to the channel. Is there any way of speeding thisup? Also, with my digital Cable, I get On Demand, whi is nice because my little ones can watch their shows whenever. Going through the Toshiba, I can access the On Demand Menu but then it seems like the device is trying ti change to another channel (usually 003). It trys to do this a few times before settling down. Now I cannot use my Toshiba remote to scroll through the On demand Menu. Anyone have a solution to this?

Also, a basic question: Since I cannot seem to find a power button on the remote, does that mean that the intention is never to turn this off? Also, am I supposed to leave the Cable box on as well, or just shut it off? Thanks, this looks like a great forum.
mikeurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:44 PM   #413
cprovo

I just purchased the rs-tx20 and was going to ask the same power on / off question. I assumed that you are supposed to put the unit in Standby mode - which I've done a couple times now. The only problem is after putting it in Standby mode I can't get it to turn back on by pressing the TIVO or Live TV buttons. Can anyone help us newbies?
cprovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:00 AM   #414
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

Yes, you are meant to leave the cable/dish box and TiVo on all the time. Don't you have recordings set up for when you are not watching TV? TiVo needs to be on and have access to the cable/dish feed to do what it does best. I know it seems odd at first, but you'll get use to it.

The channel changing is slower than without TiVo. That was very annoying to me at first, but you get use to it too.

Sorry, I don't know anything about "On Demand".

Enjoy your TiVo. The wonderful things you can do with TiVo will far outweigh the small annoyances.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:54 AM   #415
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeurz
I am new to TIVO and to my Toshiba RS-TX20. Couple questions, and I apologize if these have been asked before. I have Comcast Cable and am using the serial connector to change channels. It works, but:

Channel changing is very slow. I press my selection off the guide then the numbers slowly appear on my screen and then I go to the channel. Is there any way of speeding thisup? Also, with my digital Cable, I get On Demand, whi is nice because my little ones can watch their shows whenever. Going through the Toshiba, I can access the On Demand Menu but then it seems like the device is trying ti change to another channel (usually 003). It trys to do this a few times before settling down. Now I cannot use my Toshiba remote to scroll through the On demand Menu. Anyone have a solution to this?

Also, a basic question: Since I cannot seem to find a power button on the remote, does that mean that the intention is never to turn this off? Also, am I supposed to leave the Cable box on as well, or just shut it off? Thanks, this looks like a great forum.
as noted - leave everything on (except the TV, that you have a power button on the remote to turn off) the TiVo takes very little power (60 watt light bulb) and it needs to be on to do scheduled recordings. The cable box needs to be on as well since most do not turn on simply by hitting a channel button and you will not get the correct channel to record.

There is no power savings or other reason to put the TiVo in standby other than to act as a pass through for the coax. With a cable box a passthrough has little use since the TiVo needs to use the cable box to descramble and send the correct channel to the Tivo to record.

A TiVo was never meant as a channel surfer and is inherently slow at changing channels since the Tivo recording part needs to sync up with the new channel to record it poroperly with no initial glitches. There is no way to speed it up.

On demand is designed to work straight off the cable box and the extra little channel changing it does is just not supported by the TiVo. You can record it but you have to get the cable box set on its own first and then start a manual recording. TiVo was designed around doing scheduled recordings off of preposted guide data so recording on demand becomes trickier. I have never even had a cable box or on demand so others will have to speak to finer details of that.

in short many TiVo owners get a second cable box and have it going straight to their TV for channel surfing and On demand viewing. Though over time many stop channel surfing as the TiVo fills up and they get more proactive on simply recording what they want to see.

(when I was sick once and laid up for a few days I actually did just put the TiVo on live TV and it became my channel changer for me, moving on to the next show I wanted to watch automatically as it recorded them. I put the remote away and just lay there and let the TV wash over me to keep my mind off how sick iwas feeling. It actually was very cool - kind of like preprogammed channel surfing)
Old 07-26-2005, 08:58 AM   #416
azitnay

If you're willing to only allow your TiVo to record the channels you receive over the cable itself with no box (usually channels under 100, with the exception of some pay channels), you can set the TiVo up to not use the cable box and tune the cable channels itself. This will get you:

1) Much faster channel changing (essentially the same speed as normal channel changing, since the TiVo's doing the tuning).

2) You can set the cable box up independently of the TiVo on another TV input, and still use it for on-demand, premium channels, digital channels, etc.

Of course, the downside is that you can't TiVo premium and digital channels. There are pluses and minuses. Me, I don't even bother with digital cable -- extended basic gives our TiVos enough to chew on.

Drew
Old 07-26-2005, 09:16 AM   #417
cprovo

So we leave it on but if by chance it's placed in standby mode - how do you turn it back on? I have placed mine in standby a couple of times and have had to unplug and then re-start. It didn't turn on once I pressed the TIVO or Live TV buttons.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:48 AM   #418
azitnay

Hmm, I believe either of those buttons should work.

However, since the RF on the RS-TX20 is passthrough-only, there's very little point to putting the unit in standby in the first place. Just don't do it .

Drew
Old 07-26-2005, 01:18 PM   #419
cprovo

I now know it doesn't have to be put into Standby mode but now that I've done it and it's not turning back on using the buttons I'm concerned that I have a defective unit. Could this be possible or does anyone know of a reason it's not turning back on?
Old 07-26-2005, 04:40 PM   #420
windracer
joined the 10k club

What if you use the TiVo button on the front of the unit? The little TiVo-guy logo is actually a button. Try that ... maybe it's a remote issue?

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote