TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2005, 10:18 AM   #541
gusdorf

Angry

Thanks for the update on your dial-in progress.

It looks like the Hughes HDVR2 internal modem is the culprit. I have tried most of the suggestions posted and none of them proved successful with my system.

I will be checking this site from time to time looking for the silver bullet, but I am thinking now the only solution for the HDVR2 is a hard line telco connection.
gusdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #542
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
,#104 ??? That's a new one to me.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:58 PM   #543
Devlin85

Question Need some help

I have a DSR7000 and I've tried every F*king ,#*** and tried it with a DSL filter, and still no success. And DirecTV won't initiate the usb ports on the back, all you can do with them is get an IP with a USB NIC... nothingmore, Anybody got any advice.
Devlin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #544
jjz

Smile

I have the hughes HDVR2- I finally had (some) success using the dial prefix ,#340 (not so sure if this made a difference) along with the 877 area code- after using this set up and around 10 calls (all were interrupted during downloading) I got it to take the 6.2 upgrade- JZ
jjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #545
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin85
I have a DSR7000 and I've tried every F*king ,#*** and tried it with a DSL filter, and still no success. And DirecTV won't initiate the usb ports on the back, all you can do with them is get an IP with a USB NIC... nothingmore, Anybody got any advice.
You should try PPP, it works like a charm. If you have a PC nearby and really do not care about when it makes the daily call. I only used it to get the 6.2 upgrade... and now both of my machines are running it.

If you're interested.....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&highlight=ppp
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:25 PM   #546
wildtexaschef

I have the new R10, and a Phillips DSR704.

Short of adding the external modem. (Have no desire to do so, sounds like a mess to me)

Has anyone had any luck connecting this units via vonage?

,#034

(comma, #, Zero, Three, Four)

Is suppose to work on all DirecTV Tivos to slow the modem down to 9600baud.

My Fax machine works just fine at 28.8k, so why shouldn't a TIVO work at 9600 on vonage?
Explain that one! I did have to turn up the quality of vonage to 90k to get the Fax machine to work at 28.8k, but it does work. So I really don't understand why the TIVO can't connect.

Thanks

Gary
wildtexaschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:26 PM   #547
wildtexaschef

Sorry... one more update....

I also still have an UltimateTV DirecTV DVR... It is able to connect via Vonage.

So with my FAX machine & UltimateTV working with Vonage, still can't understand why TIVO doesn't work with Vonage.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:55 PM   #548
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Because the modem and the modem control software in the TiVo is intolerant of the minor distortions one gets with digital and VoIP phone lines.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:54 PM   #549
wildtexaschef

Modem control software

You mentioned that the modem control software in the TIVO's is intollerant to the phone line conditions of a VoIP phone line.

Do you think this is something that could be fixed if TIVO changed, updated, or fixed the software?

If it is something that can be fixed in an updated software release, then why doesn't TIVO do it? Is TIVO even aware of this problem? Do they even care if they fix this issue? Why haven't they even tried to fix this issue if they aren't doing so?

Why are we putting up with this kind of treatment from TIVO? We wouldn't put up with this kind of Treatment from our car companies if our Cars didn't work.

Why Why why?

Sorry I am venting. I know what I want. and Im not getting what I want, and it ticks me off that TIVO or DirecTV don't really care.

Unhappy TIVO user with no where else to go
Gary
Old 07-06-2005, 12:24 AM   #550
etsolow
Don't Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtexaschef
[...]TIVO's [...] TIVO [...] TIVO [...] TIVO [...] TIVO? [...]

Why Why why?

[...] TIVO or DirecTV don't really care.

Unhappy TIVO user [...]
At least you mentioned DirecTV in there once. DirecTV has an iron fist of control over any enhancements to the DirecTV DVRs (running TiVo software). Blame them. If they'd let us use the darn USB ports, like all the new standalone TiVos can, this would be largely a non-issue.
etsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:34 PM   #551
DrC4
Evil Genius

Ready to hate me all over the place?

So get this, I have been fighting with DTivo and Vonage for a while now. Tried everything that has been suggested, every " #99" and ",#034", DSL filter, no DSL filter, even lit candles and danced naked around the dang things. Nothing. Couldn't get past "Negotiating."

So I figured that I would pack the darned thing up and take it to a friends that had POTS and just upgrade there. No worries. So I disconnected the satellite inputs, restarted the box (via an unplug/re-plug), and gave it a test run, just so that I would know what I was getting into when I got there.

Now here's the neat part. It connected. Yup. The test call WORKED! So I figured that I would try an actual DAILY call. Something that hasn't happened since I hooked up the darned thing. After a few times not working, IT WORKED!

So now I am the happy owner of 6.2. So far so good. The speed increase is nice.

So, take it from the Windows using community: If things don't work right, just reboot!

You may all hate me now.
DrC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #552
kittiyut

Will it work if I use Packet8 instead of Vonage ?

KeN
Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi DVD player
kittiyut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:10 PM   #553
workindev

Vonage must have made a change to their service recently because I was able to get my HDVR2 to dial out yesterday without any prefixes or any problems. This was after trying it on and off for the last year without success.

If you gave up and haven't tried in a while, give it a shot now.
workindev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:26 AM   #554
ibleedblue

I just got my DTivo hooked up yesterday. I told the installer that I had Vonage and he pulled out a memo that he had been sent dated 7/1 that told the installers how to connect the DTivo to Vonage. We put in the Manhattan south number and it went right through. I checked a few times and the only failure I got was when the service wouldn't answer. I made a copy of the memo before he left. If anyone wants it, feel free to PM me and I'll scan it and get a copy to you.
ibleedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:14 AM   #555
jcthomas

Thank you to ibleedblue. I have PM'd you and appreciate the offer.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:43 PM   #556
Cyberbaker

Was this memo a "D*TV" memo or a Vonage memo? I just PM'ed you to get a copy of the memo.

I have a series 2 HDVR2 and just installed Vonage and terminated my POTS connection....and of course I'm experiencing problems connecting. I'm on the phone with Vonage now, and they are upgrading my router firmware (Linksys), but from reading this thread, I'm not certain if that is sufficient.

On my HDVR2, I'm already running SW Ver. 6.2-01-2-151.

Vonage told me that after the firmware upgrade, I should be okay...also, they said to change the area code of the dial in number to 212 and then leave the rest of the number the same (I'm in 408), but this doesn't sound right.

My understanding from reading this thread is that I need to re-run the guided set up and that I need a POTS line to that...Is that correct?

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!
Cyberbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #557
rigs49

That my friends is some serious McGyvering. Great job (even though I will not do this) great job. Again some serious McGyvering.
rigs49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:28 PM   #558
JohnM720

I have also pm'd you and appreciate the assist. I am having DTivo installed
on Monday so anything to make it go smooth is a help.
JohnM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:17 PM   #559
super dave
Upgrade Willy

I now have an R10 along with my SAT-T60 and they both dial out over Vonage without any problems. I have a Linksys RT31P2 and use local numbers.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:53 PM   #560
Cyberbaker

John:

Any luck with your set-up...? I tried the instructions in the memo, but could not get it to work.
Cyberbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:20 AM   #561
bonscott87
Done.

My new R10 has been bugging me for a while to dial out so I decided to try this New York number. Well, doesn't me no good since I can't connect to the 800 number to change the area code.

HOWEVER, on a whim I removed all dialing prefixes. Can you believe the R10 now dials out every time just fine just going direct to my local number with no prefixes? I haven't done a think and I have the old ATA 186 Vonage box.

So seriously, if you have an R10, give it a try now. Be sure Vonage is set to highest quality first. My HDVR2 still won't dial out but I have that connected via PPP so I'm not worried.

(2) DirecTivo's (R10, HDVR2), HR20, H21, Fortec Mercury II FTA receiver (Glorystar system)

HR20 help found at http://www.dbstalk.com
bonscott87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:36 PM   #562
JohnM720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbaker
John:

Any luck with your set-up...? I tried the instructions in the memo, but could not get it to work.

The unit was just installed today, but so far have had no luck getting it to dial out. What I find interesting is if I don't use the ,#034 prefix i get call failed could not connect. If I use the prefix I get call failed Busy. The question is - Is it really busy or
is that a bad message. I cannot even try the Manahattan South number because I cannot get the 1st call to go through to select it from the list. When I get back home tonite I will try again, so maybe if the busy message is real I may have more luck in the evening hours. The memo also shows the ,#034 is entered as the call waiting prefix, but I am also going to try to switch it to dial prefix and see if that helps. If I get it to work I will let you know and if you find a solution let me know also.

It was an R10 unit that was installed and my Vonage settings are already on 90Kbps

John

Last edited by JohnM720 : 07-19-2005 at 01:02 PM.
JohnM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:14 PM   #563
restart88

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87
My new R10 has been bugging me for a while to dial out so I decided to try this New York number. Well, doesn't me no good since I can't connect to the 800 number to change the area code.

HOWEVER, on a whim I removed all dialing prefixes. Can you believe the R10 now dials out every time just fine just going direct to my local number with no prefixes? I haven't done a think and I have the old ATA 186 Vonage box.

So seriously, if you have an R10, give it a try now. Be sure Vonage is set to highest quality first. My HDVR2 still won't dial out but I have that connected via PPP so I'm not worried.
Your whim corrected my problem too! Thanks!!

In my case after I took out the prefixes I set it up to dial a local access number. It would dial out with "detect if phone is in use" switched off. So I tried switching it on but had it dial the access number as a regular long distance number. Hey, it's Vonage - all costs the same!

Anyway it all works fine now. I don't know if it will dial D* but I don't see why not.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Later I may go to the PPP serial to PC route but now I'm in no hurry at all.
restart88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:24 AM   #564
kctivo

Vonage Tech support

Thanks for the info. This was really helpful. I also had to call Vonage tech support and they did something in the backend to help it along. I now have 2 great services, Tivo and Vonage
kctivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:20 PM   #565
themediadrop

Arrow Well,

I've been having super problems getting my Series 2 Hughes to connect for the last few months, after doing it quite a few times through March over Vonage's service - not sure what the difference is, perhaps it's that I need the packetization rate changed again or something (I hear it reverts at some points). Needless to say, I've found that no combination of wireless phone jacks or really really long phone lines to the home jack on the router seem to work these days.

Hoping that the memo discussed above will do some good when the installer shows up on Saturday, because I know how picky they are if they're not able to dial in right away.

Quick question, though - do the new HDTiVos come ready to roll with IP-based communication, or do I still have to make that first call on a telephone line to get going?
themediadrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:44 PM   #566
restart88

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfoulks
I just ordered Vonage service and was checking out what posts I could find where people where using there Vonage in a Wireless G network and DirecTivo.

Has anything changed with the Vonage hardware that will require me to use an external modem to make daily calls?
I just got a Netgear wireless G 108 Mbps and love it. SA Tivo connected to router by Linksys ethernet because I didn't want to chance problems with the wireless access point. My R10 is working fine with Vonage. When D* gives me something to do with the USB ports I'll move my Linksys to it and get a supported wireless access for the SA.

But I have read here somewhere that some have set up Vonage, I'm assuming, as wired to all phone outlets? How do you do that? Do you lost quality?

I've debated getting a 5.8 G extendable cordless phone system but if hard wiring is cheap & easy I might go that route.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:07 AM   #567
bonscott87
Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by restart88
But I have read here somewhere that some have set up Vonage, I'm assuming, as wired to all phone outlets? How do you do that? Do you lost quality?
I just use some RCA wireless modem adapters. They plug into any electrical outlet. So the base unit gets plugged into an outlet near your Vonage box and a phone cord run from the Vonage box to it. Then anywhere you plug in an adapter becomes an instant phone outlet. Works great.

(2) DirecTivo's (R10, HDVR2), HR20, H21, Fortec Mercury II FTA receiver (Glorystar system)

Old 07-22-2005, 09:04 AM   #568
gfoulks

Quote:

I've debated getting a 5.8 G extendable cordless phone system but if hard wiring is cheap & easy I might go that route.
To enable all phone jacks in your house for Vonage all you need to do is plug your Vonage Phone adapter into any available phone outlet. Now all of your phone outlets are powered by the Vonage phone adapter.

-CAUTION-
Before doing this you MUST unplug your house from the telco's network first. If you plug your Vonage adapter into an outlet that is already connected to the telco's network... the voltage on the line will fry your phone adapter.

To unplug from the telco network simply go to the Network Interface Box and open the Customer Access Panel. Disconnect the cable from the jack(s). I've put a piece of duct tape over the ports with the following caution written on it (Caution Sensitive Equipment Inside- Do Not Connect Phone Port without first notifying owner) just in case the phone company comes around one day, opens the box and tries to connect the network back into the house.
Phillips DSR-704 / 120 SD hrs
JVC 52" HD-ILA
gfoulks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:24 PM   #569
restart88

Thanks guys! From the sounds of it I might be better off going the wireless RCA route. Just curious, what frequency do they use? I was just afraid it wouldn't work with Tivo.

I know what you mean about voltage going through the telco lines. If I do totally shut off my landline then I might go the wired route instead.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:47 PM   #570
bonscott87
Done.

Quote:
Thanks guys! From the sounds of it I might be better off going the wireless RCA route. Just curious, what frequency do they use? I was just afraid it wouldn't work with Tivo.

I know what you mean about voltage going through the telco lines. If I do totally shut off my landline then I might go the wired route instead.
FYI that the wireless RCA jacks aren't really "wireless". It uses the power lines in your house to transmit the phone signal.