TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-13-2005, 06:24 AM   #361
Bimwad

The current DVD drive firmware is 1.15. The TiVo software is 5.42.

Both were updated shortly after setting up my unit in the past week and a half (from 1.08 and 5.41).

On another note, my unit started to pixellate and went blank for a second toward the end of a program I was watching tonight on live TV. The entire glitch lasted about 5 seconds and was captured in the recording I had set it to perform at the same time. Sigh.
Bimwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:36 PM   #362
TivoRoop

Question Closed Caption issue

I love my Toshiba TX60 TIVO. I can record and burn TV shows on DVDs except for one minor issue.

I don't know if anybody is experiencing this issue but I have noticed that If I burn a DVD of a TV show which has Closed captions, and play that DVD in my Pioneer DVD player, I cannot turn on Closed captions. If I play the same DVD in Toshiba where I originally created that DVD, I can turn ON and see closed Captions.

On my Pioneer DVD player, I can Turn ON and see CC when I play DVD movies rented from Blockbuster etc. That indicates that problem is not with Pioneer player.

Is there any setting on Toshiba TX60 which needs to be changed for this to work.

I'll appreciate any feedback on it.

Thanks.
TivoRoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:25 PM   #363
Phillip Chapman

TX20 Questions

I'm considering getting the TX20 with Best Buy's current sale and $200 rebate offer. I had been leaning towards getting the Toshiba XS34, but if I could get the TX20 for $130, I can do menu creation and editing on the PC.

I had a few questions, I was hoping you all would be kind enough to answer:

1. When you record an outside source with the TX20 via the S-Video cable where does the recording go, in Tivo's "Now Playing" list? Can you enter a title for the S-Video Recorded material?

2. I am planning on using just Tivo basic. Will the $200 rebate + 50% off at Best Buy still apply for this unit? Or will I not get the $200 Tivo rebate because that requires Tivo Plus activation?

3. Just to verify, if I only use Tivo basic I can record outside material (from DirecTivo, VHS via S-Video) without any problems? This would be a deal breaker for me if I could only record with Tivo basic, not also through S-Video.

4. I'm familiar with standalone Tivo units, but will Tivo basic limit any functionality of the DVD-Recorder itself?

5. Does this unit have the black level bug as some previous Toshiba models (XS32/XS52)? I've read people complaining here about pictures quality, but if I use best or high, will low quality really be an issue?
Phillip Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:58 PM   #364
13junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Chapman
2. I am planning on using just Tivo basic. Will the $200 rebate + 50% off at Best Buy still apply for this unit? Or will I not get the $200 Tivo rebate because that requires Tivo Plus activation?
My Best Buy rebate for my purchase of the tx20 does not require TivoPlus activation, just purchase of the unit. I bought it on June 30th.
13junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:08 PM   #365
vtrSlider

Comcast DVR and RS-TX firewire iLink

Hi All:

I Purchased the RS-TX20 while looking for a DVD burner with a firewire, iLink, IEEE1394 input.
I've been trying to record from the Comcast (Motorola) 6412 from the firewire output directly to the RS-TX20 firewire input.

Everytime I try to record I get a brief flash of the program on the 6412 and then a blue screen.

Has anyone tried to record from the firewire port?
vtrSlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:13 PM   #366
Brainiac 5

Quote:
5. Does this unit have the black level bug as some previous Toshiba models (XS32/XS52)?
I don't have one myself, but from what people have reported here (especially one poster who actually measured the signal), it has its own black level bug that is different from the one on the XS32/XS52. Instead of a problem with a black level that is 7.5 IRE too high, the TiVo unit seems to have a problem that involves a black level 7.5 IRE too low.

However, it sounds like the problem is on playback only, unlike the XS32/XS52 where the problem was recorded onto the disc. I don't think anyone has verified this in any scientific way, but unless I've misunderstood what people have posted, it seems like the disc is actually recorded with the correct black level and is displayed correctly on other players. The problem is just that the unit itself outputs video with a 0 IRE black level instead of the 7.5 IRE that is correct for North America.

To anyone who has one and has noticed this problem - do I have the right impression? The discs play back dark on the unit itself but look normal on other players?
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:01 PM   #367
Phillip Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac 5
Instead of a problem with a black level that is 7.5 IRE too high, the TiVo unit seems to have a problem that involves a black level 7.5 IRE too low.

However, it sounds like the problem is on playback only.
While not ideal, if it is playback only and not actually recorded incorrectly on the disc I can maybe tolerate it. I'm wondering if you turn off "enhanced black" on the unit if the picture won't be displayed correctly in this case. Does this effect playback on ALL discs on just DVD-R's that you record?

By the way, if any kind sole has an extra "50% off Tivo" coupon that they would be willing to share, please send me a PM or e-mail.

You guys are the best. Thanks. Looking forward to hearing more feedback from other TX-20/TX-60 owners.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:00 PM   #368
Nolzman

Quote:
By the way, if any kind sole has an extra "50% off Tivo" coupon that they would be willing to share, please send me a PM or e-mail.

I know they can had on e-bay for as little as $6 or $7. I bought a couple from there and was able to use them on the HD Tivo. I am waiting for BB to re-stock the Toshiba, so I can get one of those also.
Nolzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:37 AM   #369
tombaker

Vertical lines on RS-TX20

I have vertical lines on the Toshiba RS-TX20 on coaxial and composite outputs.....Component output seems to resolve it....saw some post that a hardware software update may fix this.

Do I have a sub par machine or is this normal
tia
tombaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:43 AM   #370
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
I had a few questions, I was hoping you all would be kind enough to answer:

1. When you record an outside source with the TX20 via the S-Video cable where does the recording go, in Tivo's "Now Playing" list? Can you enter a title for the S-Video Recorded material?

3. Just to verify, if I only use Tivo basic I can record outside material (from DirecTivo, VHS via S-Video) without any problems? This would be a deal breaker for me if I could only record with Tivo basic, not also through S-Video.

4. I'm familiar with standalone Tivo units, but will Tivo basic limit any functionality of the DVD-Recorder itself?
I had mine in TiVoBasic fro a while before getting around to subscribing it. It will be our main TiVo so Basic was not enough.

anyway to your questions -
1 - i recorded from my camcorder over composite in TiVo basic and had all the functionality. Including a keyboard widget on the screen to name the show.
I assume the other inputs are identical.

3. recording outside sources is the same in TiVobasic.

4. and to be redundent no DVD - recorder functionality was missing with basic.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #371
Phillip Chapman

Thank you ZeoTiVo. Great info. Much appreciated.

I guess the biggest issue I have is just questions about video quality. Everything will be recorded in high or best and that sounds pretty subjective from the other comments in this thread.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:40 AM   #372
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Thank you ZeoTiVo. Great info. Much appreciated.

I guess the biggest issue I have is just questions about video quality. Everything will be recorded in high or best and that sounds pretty subjective from the other comments in this thread.
Many report little visual difference between High and Best quality. I for one would have to get close to the TV screen to see any difference. With that large a hard drive I tend to use High quality for something I care about the video quality of like StarGate adn its visuals or my own Home Movies with such beautiful children as my own for things like Sitcoms or the Tonight show I use medium quality.

I can definitely see the difference between medium and high.

the difference there is in the file size however is significant. medium shows I can transfer around or move via TTG at better than real time. high is somewhat better than real time on MRV and a little worse than real time on TTG. I do not even use best quality as it ios significantly bigger than high quality and I for one do not get struck by a difference between high and best.

on the DVD - it takes the same anount of time to burn a full DVD no matter the quality. the difference is how much fits
1 hour of best quality on a DVD
2 hours of high
4 hours of medium.

I have never used low quality.

PS all outside sources always record to the hard drive, and then you burn to DVD or not.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #373
Brainiac 5

Quote:
While not ideal, if it is playback only and not actually recorded incorrectly on the disc I can maybe tolerate it. I'm wondering if you turn off "enhanced black" on the unit if the picture won't be displayed correctly in this case. Does this effect playback on ALL discs on just DVD-R's that you record?
That's a very good question about "enhanced black" - I've downloaded the manual and looked at it, and I didn't see any option for choosing enhanced vs. normal black. If there were such an option, I would speculate as you do that the non-enhanced black setting would fix the problem. Maybe someone who owns this unit can comment on whether or not such an option exists...?

About whether this affects playback on all discs - my impression from what I've read is that it affects ALL playback of ANYTHING - DVD-Rs recorded on the unit, commerical DVDs, and even shows played back from the hard drive. Again, maybe someone who has one of these units and has noticed the problem can comment on whether or not this is correct.
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 11:19 PM   #374
Bimwad

Recording from external inputs

Here's a question for the vets.

I'm trying out the external recording function for the first time by dubbing some old tapes. From reading the manual, it strongly implied that only the front panel inputs could be used with an external source. The rear inputs seemed to be reserved for a cable box or sat. receiver, and then only as an either/or scenario with the RF input unless one upgraded to TiVo Plus.

So I dutifully connected the VCR to the front inputs, and then found that the recording menu screen offered me the option of either front or rear inputs?! Does anybody know offhand whether the rear inputs do indeed work for external sources, along with the RF while in Basic mode?

I plan to try it, but I don't want to go through the rigamarole of tearing down and rebuilding the stereo cabinet to redo the wires if I don't have to.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:15 AM   #375
lordrichter

I use the rear inputs for my VCR so that I can play back my old VHS home movies and the front input for my 8mm camcorder because it is easy to get to them.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:15 AM   #376
Runch Machine

Go ahead and tear it down so you can use the rear jacks. They work great for copying from external sources. I use mine all the time that way.
DirecTV HR20 DVR with 1 terrabyte Drive inside.
Runch Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:28 AM   #377
Bimwad

Thanks for the confirmations!
Old 07-18-2005, 06:36 AM   #378
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

I searched the forum but did not find any reference to this problem.

I was watching a program on my new RS-TX20 TiVo last night. I had begun watching after the program started, so I was watching about 20 minutes behind live TV. Right in the middle of the recording TiVo changed to the next highest channel and continued recording.

I certainly didn't do it manually. If I had, the recording would have stopped. I verified that I had set TiVo to record the full 1 hour program. TiVo just seemed to have decided that I needed to watch "Troy" instead of "Six Feet Under". Has this ever happened to anyone else?
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:52 AM   #379
lordrichter

Is the TX-20 connected directly to cable or through a cable box?
Old 07-18-2005, 07:25 AM   #380
PriorSayin

Any suggestions on how to hook up an RS-TX20 to a Dish 811 HD receiver so it plays on an Hitachi 48" HDTV monitor? Details please as I am lame.
Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been asked before but I'm in a jam.

PriorSayin
PriorSayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:03 AM   #381
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrichter
Is the TX-20 connected directly to cable or through a cable box?
I have Dish Network. Line in from Dish to Dish receiver to TX-20. I use the IR channel changer.

I've had other versions of TiVo since 2001 and I've never had one change the channel during a recording.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:04 PM   #382
bigdumbanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker
I have vertical lines on the Toshiba RS-TX20 on coaxial and composite outputs.....Component output seems to resolve it....saw some post that a hardware software update may fix this.

tia

I also have this problem with a new RS-TX20. I have not tried component yet...just S-Video and Composite. The picture is really good from cable box to TV (Receiver,) however I get faint black vertical lines when it comes from the Tivo. I am connecting to Tivo now to see if any firmware updates exist. Next I'll try to find some component cables to use. Both my composite and S-Video cables are Acoustic Research...which aren't bad cables. Thanks in advance.
bigdumbanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:21 AM   #383
Bimwad

Can anybody here confirm that both the digital and analog audio outputs are active simultaneously?

If they are, it would help me get around the input limitations of my TV. If they aren't, it would save me the cost of a Toslink cable.

TIA
Old 07-19-2005, 10:16 AM   #384
Tplyr

Vertical lines on Toshiba RS-TX20

"Quote:

tia
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbanimal
I also have this problem with a new RS-TX20. I have not tried component yet...just S-Video and Composite. The picture is really good from cable box to TV (Receiver,) however I get faint black vertical lines when it comes from the Tivo. I am connecting to Tivo now to see if any firmware updates exist. Next I'll try to find some component cables to use. Both my composite and S-Video cables are Acoustic Research...which aren't bad cables. Thanks in advance.
---------------
I also have the same problem as tombaker and bigdumbanimal with my newly purchased Toshiba RS-TX20. I've done this much so far, and I get the exact same results: "The picture is really good from cable box to TV (Receiver,) however I get faint black vertical lines when it comes from the Tivo."

My cable input runs from the wall outlet -> through my cable company's cable box -> through my VCR -> then to the RS-TX20 via a series of component and coaxial connections. This setup works great (crystal clear, no vertical lines) when I was using my other Tivo Series 2 - 40 Hour unit which was replaced by the RS-TX20.

Before I disconnect and reconnect all the wiring and spend an enormous amount of time trying to diagnose everything, I'd like to know what else to try besides connecting the component cables from my cable box -> to the Toshiba RS-TX20 Tivo unit -> to my TV.

And, if possible, I'd like to know if a specific solution exists for this "black vertical lines (on TV screen) when it comes from the Tivo" problem. Thanks.

FYI Update:
My current Software Version: 5.4-01-2-565
My current DVD Drive Firmware Version: DVD-RW DVR-108RZ rev. 1.08

Last edited by Tplyr : 07-19-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Tplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:23 AM   #385
bigdumbanimal

I was cruising the Tivo support forums this morning and found out that this should be resolved by a Tivo software update. My Tivo downloaded updates for a couple of hours last night and never finished correctly. I am going to pick up a USB wireless ethernet adapter tonight and try updating with that. I get the black lines both in the Tivo menus and while watching TV. My old series 2 used the same cables and didn't have this problem. I'll post tonight/tomorrow with my findings. Let me know if you find anything.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:16 AM   #386
tombaker

It appears that after a few days.....TX20 did go out and get a software update....and the lines seem gone....I could tell it was a major update because I got the dancing TIVO startup animation when I woke up my TIVO

I often turn it to standby at night

I am currently using normal composite cables with no lines.....I needed my component TV imputs for a PS2....

I now look forward to the 7.1 software update to come out.
tombaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #387
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimwad
Can anybody here confirm that both the digital and analog audio outputs are active simultaneously?

If they are, it would help me get around the input limitations of my TV. If they aren't, it would save me the cost of a Toslink cable.

TIA
I can confirm that (at least for TiVo shows; when i watcha DVD I don't bother with analog, of course ) I can double check for DVDs if you'd like, but I'm quite confident you should be fine. My Humax DRT800 (bedroom, older TV) definitely sends DVD audio out over analog - but I haven't confirmed digital is simultaneously active!

<edit> Although if you do have a home theater system, why do you even need the analog setup? And if you don't have one, resta ssured that stereo output (TiVo'd shows, live TV and streamed MP3s) play virtually identically via analog and digital audio interconnects (I've compared them both with my old receiver) DVD's, of course, only send encoded Dolby Digital or DTS or PCM audio over digital interconnects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:03 PM   #388
Tplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tplyr
I also have the same problem as tombaker and bigdumbanimal with my newly purchased Toshiba RS-TX20. I've done this much so far, and I get the exact same results: "The picture is really good from cable box to TV (Receiver,) however I get faint black vertical lines when it comes from the Tivo."

My cable input runs from the wall outlet -> through my cable company's cable box -> through my VCR -> then to the RS-TX20 via a series of component and coaxial connections. This setup works great (crystal clear, no vertical lines) when I was using my other Tivo Series 2 - 40 Hour unit which was replaced by the RS-TX20.

Before I disconnect and reconnect all the wiring and spend an enormous amount of time trying to diagnose everything, I'd like to know what else to try besides connecting the component cables from my cable box -> to the Toshiba RS-TX20 Tivo unit -> to my TV.

And, if possible, I'd like to know if a specific solution exists for this "black vertical lines (on TV screen) when it comes from the Tivo" problem. Thanks.

FYI Update:
My current Software Version: 5.4-01-2-565
My current DVD Drive Firmware Version: DVD-RW DVR-108RZ rev. 1.08

I left the wiring alone and didn't have to spend an enormous amount of time to diagnose all the wiring.

A second or third Tivo connection downloaded a major software update for a few hours which fixed the black vertical lines problem.

My current Software Version is still the same: 5.4-01-2-565
My current DVD Drive Firmware Version is now upgraded to: DVD-RW DVR-108RZ rev. 1.15

I'm pleased to now know it's only a firmware/software issue and not a hardware issue. Thanks tombaker and bigdumbanimal for your tips and help.
Tplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:06 AM   #389
bigdumbanimal

Quote:
It appears that after a few days.....TX20 did go out and get a software update....and the lines seem gone....I could tell it was a major update because I got the dancing TIVO startup animation when I woke up my TIVO

I often turn it to standby at night

I am currently using normal composite cables with no lines.....I needed my component TV imputs for a PS2....

I now look forward to the 7.1 software update to come out.
I came home from work last night, rebooted the Tivo and the lines were all gone. You were right on...just a software update.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2005, 09:17 AM   #390
Bimwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
I can confirm that (at least for TiVo shows; when i watcha DVD I don't bother with analog, of course ) I can double check for DVDs if you'd like, but I'm quite confident you should be fine. My Humax DRT800 (bedroom, older TV) definitely sends DVD audio out over analog - but I haven't confirmed digital is simultaneously active!

<edit> Although if you do have a home theater system, why do you even need the analog setup? And if you don't have one, resta ssured that stereo output (TiVo'd shows, live TV and streamed MP3s) play virtually identically via analog and digital audio interconnects (I've compared them both with my old receiver) DVD's, of course, only send encoded Dolby Digital or DTS or PCM audio over digital interconnects.
Thx, I've got it working the way I thought it would -- analog audio output direct to the TV for mostly casual viewing, when I don't feel like firing up the HT system, and the digital audio out to the receiver for full effect.

Only oddity is that even though I changed the audio setting to 96kHz, my receiver is only detecting 48kHz. I guess normal program content doesn't go any higher.