TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-06-2005, 10:38 PM   #331
ccrochet
Luv my RS-TX20

Hey Bimwad...

Now that I've got my avatar squared-away to keep the avatar police at-bay, I'll risk posting again!

Your symptoms sound suspiciously similar to the initial ones I had on my FIRST TX-20. Yes, I'm on my second now. Turned out that my poor "best friend" got messed-up by what appears to have been a power surge / spike. Basically, the problems got progressively worse. I started getting pauses for no apparent reason -- both on playback of recordings, and even live TV. The unit would completely freeze-up, and also would generate the dreaded "green screen of death" with the error "a serious error has occurred".

Once that had been going on for a while, I figured it was probably toast, so contacted TiVo and then Toshiba for support. They agreed that the hard drive was toast & issued me an RMA. As instructed, I shipped them just the unit itself, with none of the books / cables / remote / etc. What I got back was a BRAND NEW (not reconditioned) TX-20 -- complete with all books, a new remote, and all the cables!

Worked out well for me -- just had to do without it for about 3-4 weeks. Gotta love that warranty!

Anyway, I have a feeling you're in roughly the same boat -- with a hard drive that has started going south. Once it starts that backwards slide, your chances of eventual recovery are slim in my experience. I purchased an APC branded UPS to take better care of my friend and defend him from the onslaught of the dreaded Florida summer thunderstorms...

Hope this helps...
Old 07-07-2005, 01:57 AM   #332
vegasguy

Desperate ...

I received an RS-TX20 as a Christmas gift. Seven months later and I'm on my fourth unit, which appears to have died tonight, less than a week after I hooked it up.

I'm by no means a novice when it comes to hooking up electronics, although I'm certainly not an expert, and have NEVER had any problems with any of my equipment in the past. I even bought a $100 Monster surge protector -- complete with cable and telephone connections -- to make sure my newest TiVo was completely isolated from any possible electrical surge.

Despite all my attempts at protecting the RS-TX60, it began to pixelate a recorded program, followed by longer and longer pauses. The unit reset itself, followed by more and more pauses. You could hear the hard drive grinding; then live TV wqas afflicted with the same pauses, rendering it unwatchable.

The unit then reset itself again and seems hung up on the "welcome" screen, with both lights permanently on.

As I said, this is the fourth unit that's died on me in seven months. The first one, the RS-TX20, went out after my wife shocked it while hitting the power button. The next RS-TX20 had a DVD stuck in it. The third unit, which Toshiba upgraded to the RS-TX60, lasted nearly a month before it began freezing during live tv and recorded playback.

Now this unit is suffering from the same sort of problem.

Toshiba doesn't seem to be of much help. Whoever it is I get on the phone each time I call, swears they aren't having any problems with the unit and tells me Toshiba will provide me with a replacement unit since I'm under warranty. With the last return, they offered a full refund, which is awkward since this was a gift.

I would prefer to have a replacement RS-TX60 and have it work. But, for the life of me, I have NO idea what I'm doing wrong.

I have a coaxial RF cable going from the wall into the surge protector and then into TX60. I have another coaxial RF cable going out from the TX60 in to my TV so that I can watch another program while recording something else. There's also an S-video connection from the TX60 to the TV and a digital audio cable to my receiver.

It could be repeated user error, but I've hooked up a friend's basic TiVo unit and they've had no problems. I've also never had problems with any of my equipment before: audio-video or computer.

When we watch TV while recording something else, I simply switch the video source on my TV, without putting TiVo into standby mode, and use the TV remote to switch channels. Could that be the culprit?

Sorry to cut in on someone else's thread, but I couldn't find a place to post a new thread. (It's late and my eyes are tired.) Any suggestions would be welcomed and much appreciated. I came across this forum in a last-ditch effort to troubleshoot the problem on Google. I sincerely hope someone can help.

Thank you.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:37 AM   #333
Bimwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrochet
Hey Bimwad...

Your symptoms sound suspiciously similar to the initial ones I had on my FIRST TX-20. Yes, I'm on my second now. Turned out that my poor "best friend" got messed-up by what appears to have been a power surge / spike. Basically, the problems got progressively worse. I started getting pauses for no apparent reason -- both on playback of recordings, and even live TV. The unit would completely freeze-up, and also would generate the dreaded "green screen of death" with the error "a serious error has occurred"...What I got back was a BRAND NEW (not reconditioned) TX-20 -- complete with all books, a new remote, and all the cables!

Hope this helps...
Thanks for the reply.

My second unit was 3 days old when it froze up, and is less than a week old overall. The power company here is actually pretty good, so I don't believe it was any sort of power surge that caused the problem. I've had other a/v equipment running off the same power lines and cable for years with nary a problem, even during the infrequent thunderstorms we get. Aside from the one blank screen lockup, the Toshiba has functioned without any glaring problems or picture freezes.

The only difference between my first and second units that might even remotely cause any hickups is that the power connector on the second unit required much more force to insert the power cord and have it remain in place. When I initially plugged it in, I thought it was DOA because it didn't power up! But again, the unit sits stationary in a cabinet, so I don't think intermittent power loss due to a poor connection is at fault.

I'll keep my eye on it for the time being, and hope I don't have to test Toshiba's warranty service as you, or vegasguy have, as good as it sounds
Bimwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:18 AM   #334
ccrochet
Luv my RS-TX20

Well, good luck with your TiVo, Bimwad...

I did NOT enjoy being without my TiVo for the 2-3 weeks it took to get it replaced by Toshiba. Wouldn't wish that on anyone... You may be looking at a possible short in the power cable as another possibility. That should be relatively inexpensive to replace, though.

However it goes, good luck!

Thanks...
Old 07-08-2005, 07:03 AM   #335
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasguy
I have a coaxial RF cable going from the wall into the surge protector and then into TX60. I have another coaxial RF cable going out from the TX60 in to my TV so that I can watch another program while recording something else. There's also an S-video connection from the TX60 to the TV and a digital audio cable to my receiver.

these units are fairly reliable and having four go bad cant just be coincidence as you imply in your post. Could it possibly be something going on with the Coax cable and the surge protector you have it plugged into ?

It seems to be the only thing "different" from your other AV equipment that is not having problems. maybe google aroind on ways to check the sheilding of the coax for the cable run or see if there are surges in it etc...

Everything you post would be the correct way to use this unit though you do not mention if you have it hooked up to a network or let it dial in by phone, which of course is another connection power troubles could get in on.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:01 PM   #336
netsfan

Previous Channel?

I can't seem to find a button on the remote to jump between 2 channels!

Is there a way to do this? Even the cheapest TVs have a Previous Channel button. Please tell me that there's a way!!!
netsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:25 PM   #337
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsfan
I can't seem to find a button on the remote to jump between 2 channels!

Is there a way to do this? Even the cheapest TVs have a Previous Channel button. Please tell me that there's a way!!!
You mean you can watch live TV on these things? Wow.

Nope, no previous button on the remote that I am aware of. In few hours that I have watched live TV in the years since getting a TiVo, I never noticed.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:28 PM   #338
netsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrichter
Nope, no previous button on the remote that I am aware of. In few hours that I have watched live TV in the years since getting a TiVo, I never noticed.
There are times when two shows are on at once, and with satellite you can't record a different show while watching one. So that "Previous" button has gotten quite a workout over the years. This is a very bad unexpected side effect.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:37 PM   #339
netsfan

Never mind I got it!

The "Enter" button does the trick!
Old 07-08-2005, 11:23 PM   #340
ashu
User title defunct

On standard Peanut remotes (for 240 and 540 TiVos), the Enter button is labelled Enter/Last
Toshiba - in their infinite wisdom - left it out of even their Penut remote (of course, their heiny-ugly SD-H400 remote also lacks it)

Good find!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:09 AM   #341
skatefan20

Hi!

Just wanted to post to see if anyone else is having the problem I have when watching thru S-video (see my post #329). Right now, I have to watch/record thru composite as that doesn't have moments where the screen is bleached or whitens momentarily during bright, bright scenes -- however, the composite is definitely not as sharp.
skatefan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #342
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
On standard Peanut remotes (for 240 and 540 TiVos), the Enter button is labelled Enter/Last
Toshiba - in their infinite wisdom - left it out of even their Penut remote (of course, their heiny-ugly SD-H400 remote also lacks it)

Good find!
Cool. My TiVo brand peanut is old enough that the lettering on the plastic is starting to fade out. I never noticed the Last, but yeah, I can see that it is there. My most recent Peanut is from my Toshiba, and as noted, isn't there in the first place.

Not sure when I'll ever need this knowledge, though...
Old 07-09-2005, 09:18 AM   #343
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatefan20
Hi!

Just wanted to post to see if anyone else is having the problem I have when watching thru S-video (see my post #329). Right now, I have to watch/record thru composite as that doesn't have moments where the screen is bleached or whitens momentarily during bright, bright scenes -- however, the composite is definitely not as sharp.
Have you tried a different S-Video cable? Tried a different TV with S-Video input? Need to rule out a TV or cable problem.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:33 PM   #344
adamarket

Me too. I've owned my RS-TX60 unit since about March and burned upwards of 30 disks without issue. Now suddenly, about 1 in 3 fails to save. I try the various "magical" solutions, such as rebooting the TiVo, resetting the DVD settings, etc. These things "seem" to work but who knows. The cost of DVD-Rs have come down, but not so much that a failure doesn't hit the pocket book.

Adam
adamarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:36 PM   #345
adamarket

Same thing has started happening to me. As you say, no help from Toshiba site and the usual places (which is how I ended up here). So far re-starting the Tivo seems to help but I have no idea if it actually is.
adamarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #346
skatefan20

Quote:
Have you tried a different S-Video cable? Tried a different TV with S-Video input? Need to rule out a TV or cable problem.
Yay, a reply...thanks!!

Yeah, I did try several S-Video Cables including one I bought for ~$20 at Radioshack, and hooked it up with a camcorder, Sylvania DTV Tuner, and satellite box. Still having problems with bright scenes. I'll try to hookup the Tivo to my capture cards on my PC and post pics of what I'm experiencing. No problems with composite on the Tivo, but there is a significant decrease in sharpness.

OT: Dark scenes and black levels are just HORRIBLE with this RS-TX20! No way does it touch my Hauppauge 150-MCE. The LG 3410 HDTV DVR has a more superior picture quality, even during analog recording (returned this thing as it was too damn expensive). This is my first Tivo, and if this is an indication of the picture quality on other Tivo's, this will be my first and last Tivo purchase. However, nice use as a VCR replacement!!
skatefan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 04:55 PM   #347
lordrichter

Several people complain about blacks levels and video quality for the TiVo units (all of them) and the DVD units in particular. Others say that some models are better than others.

I purchased the TiVo to watch cable TV programs when I have time rather than when broadcast. Local stations (CBS,NBC,FOX,ABC) on my cable network have static and other video artifacts and the TiVo certainly does not improve on the signal. I can watch TV through anything and am extremely forgiving on picture quality. I once had such a poor cable signal at one point due to a bad connection out at the street that I might as well have been on a cheap Walmart rabbit ears antenna.

So, yeah, to anyone that expects DVD quality pictures off their cable (digital or analog) through the TiVo, I have disturbing news for you...

But, it has to be a really really bad picture before I notice it (snowy black and white was when I first decided to get upset).
Old 07-10-2005, 06:18 PM   #348
weekendwarrior

My New RS-TX 20

My son bought me a rs-tx 20 toshiba tivo2 machine, knowing how much I like my 80 gig one I bought last year. Well upon hooking the new unit up. Nothing, just the little window on the front of the unit says "welcome" Then says "setup". can't get a tv screen even through the video output. So I hooked my old one back up with the same connections and it works fine. Called Best Buy about it this afternoon. They said it had been discontinued but they would do me right buy it. Either order another one or substitute something comparable. I haven't called toshiba yet. I may do that before I go to Best Buy and see what they say. Any idea what's wrong? Or did I just get stuck with a lemon. Anyone?
weekendwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:43 AM   #349
13junk

Arrow Flickering Vertical Lines on RS-TX20

I've got an RS-TX20 and I have vertical lines on the screen when either viewing Tivo Menus, Live video, or Recorded programs. They are not always there they flicker in and out. They do not show up on the screen when I view through the coax pass through. I've seen this in a few other threads, and perhaps at the begining of this one I've been reading for hours! But I've never seen a solution. For the record I do agree with the fact blacks are crused on the TX20. If that was my only problem I likely wouldn't be writing.

My first setup was coax to cable box, coax to Tivo, composite to receiver, s-video to TV. I've tried 2 different pairs of reliable compsite cables, and I've tried connecting them straight to the TV (even though my DVD and VCR which are connected to the receiver in the same manner to not have display issues) and the lines are always there.

My second second setup was coax to cable, composite to Tivo, composite to TV. Same flickering vertical black lines.

I am running version 5.4-01-2-565

Can anyone help me?

Thanks
13junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:01 AM   #350
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
Called Best Buy about it this afternoon. They said it had been discontinued but they would do me right buy it. Either order another one or substitute something comparable. Any idea what's wrong? Or did I just get stuck with a lemon. Anyone?
Assuming that all other diagnostic attempts have failed, sounds like a defective unit.

If Best Buy is willing to order you another one, that sounds like a plan. If you send it in to Toshiba, it will be a few weeks turnaround. The TX-20 is a stock item for Best Buy so they can probably get one on the next truck, even if that store doesn't normally stock them.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:15 AM   #351
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13junk
I've got an RS-TX20 and I have vertical lines on the screen when either viewing Tivo Menus, Live video, or Recorded programs. They are not always there they flicker in and out. They do not show up on the screen when I view through the coax pass through.

My first setup was coax to cable box, coax to Tivo, composite to receiver, s-video to TV.

My second second setup was coax to cable, composite to Tivo, composite to TV.
Have you tried coax to cable box, composite to TiVo, S-Video to TV?

In general, when you see video problems on the TiVo menus, it is a problem in the TiVo output, the cables, or somewhere else after the signal leaves the TiVo.

My guess is that there is a problem with the TiVo output hardware that only Toshiba will be able to resolve.

I don't think that the video inputs and outputs on the TX-20 and TX-60 are the most robust things in the shop.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:02 AM   #352
13junk

Vertical Lines gone!

Quote:
Have you tried coax to cable box, composite to TiVo, S-Video to TV?
Haven't tried that. I intended to buy an additional s-video cable today to try s-video from cable box to Tivo, just for grins and an excuse to get an s-video cable. But that would allow me to try the above. Thanks for the option.

Oddly with the overnight software update to 5.4.2-01-2-565, the vertical lines are gone. Will have to see if it is the same when I come home and then push the cabinet back to the wall

OT: S-video out of Tivo cannot be a long term solution for me because all my devices run through the 8 year old receiver, which of course I couldn't covince my wife to chalk up the extra $100 for the s-video connection, optical audio, and mute feature. (guess what I hear every day, "I wish I could mute the sound")
13junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:59 PM   #353
james_r_reed
New To TiVo

Just bought a DVR Model RS-TX20 on Saturday. My first TiVo ever. Did I make a good choice?

Was $599 at Best Buy with $200 mail in rebate.

Was an impulse buy.

An odd thing I noticed was quite a few surface scratches in the face plate of the unit. The packaging was sealed (box and internal bag). Anyone else experience this?

I'd expect a brand new unit, fresh out of the box to have no blemishes of any kind. Was not the case on mine.

J.R.
james_r_reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:52 PM   #354
james_r_reed
New To TiVo

OK, I'm concerned after reading and re-reading the posts in this thread that I may not have purchased a good TiVo unit.

I purchased the RS-TX20 at Best Buy mainly because it was the most expensive unit they offered. I often equate that with a sign of quality.

Since reading posts in this thread I have run around anxiously putting surge protectors on every line (phone, electrical, cable) coming into the unit itself.

I'm paranoid that the unit "hums." etc. etc.

I've read the return policy (and 4 yr service plan) documents from Best Buy a dozen times and am planning a trip there tomorrow. Does the service plan cover lightening or other "acts of God"?

What's the word on the RS-TX20? Good? Bad?

All thoughts, advice are greatly appreciated.

J.R.
james_r_reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:56 AM   #355
csyria

I don't have an opinion for you on whether or not you should keep it, but I do have this piece of advice:

Swap out the power surge protector for a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). If you look around in the ads, you may be able to find one on the cheap. And in this case, a cheap APC 350va model is ALL you need.

I'm suggesting this for a few reasons:
First, because it has the possibility to expand the life of your unit. Power problems that aren't covered by a regular surge protector have the possibility to damage the hard drive in ANY DVR. These problems include brownouts and under/overvoltages.
Second, because it is nice not to have to wait for the unit to reboot when you have a two second power outage. No more missing chunks of shows.
Third, a UPS is more likely to actually protect you from lightning.

The one I mentioned above (a 350va UPS) will run the TiVo by itself for at least 45 minutes when the power goes out. And if the battery dies, the power to the TiVo will go out in a clean way, unlike the way normal power will often go out (it may flicker a few times, or go to undervoltage for a second before dying).

I hope this was helpful.
csyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:54 AM   #356
lordrichter

I like my TX-20, although it is currently being repaired. Something happened to the coax input rather suddenly, leaving me with a nice rainbow effect on any programs recorded. I've had one of these units for quite some time, I was an early adopter.

My unit is on a UPS. All my computers, including TiVo, are on UPSs ranging from 280VA to 550VA. The cable and phone lines to TiVo are running through a surge suppressor.

I have no idea what the problem with the coax input was. It happened between 7am and noon on a weekday.

I am still positive on the units and plan on holding a party for it when it returns.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:38 AM   #357
Bimwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_r_reed
Just bought a DVR Model RS-TX20 on Saturday. My first TiVo ever. Did I make a good choice?

Was $599 at Best Buy with $200 mail in rebate.

Was an impulse buy.

An odd thing I noticed was quite a few surface scratches in the face plate of the unit. The packaging was sealed (box and internal bag). Anyone else experience this?

I'd expect a brand new unit, fresh out of the box to have no blemishes of any kind. Was not the case on mine.

J.R.
Look closely, and you'll find that there is a protective film covering the part of the face plate where you see the scratches.

A good unit? IMO, not for $600. Acceptable for $300. Very good for $100. Will I now be expelled from the Cult of TiVo?

It would be interesting to compare reliability statistics between TiVo SA users and Toshiba and/or Humax users, and for CE products in general.

What makes problems more difficult to diagnose is that these units are vulnerable to both hardware and software issues, whereas a typical appliance is probably much less vulnerable to the latter.

I think it's safe to say that whomever manufactures these units for Toshiba and TiVo does have some hardware QC issues. Any TiVo veterans care to comment about the track record for late-model SA TiVos? Both the DVD units and SA units share the same physical chassis, and both originate from Mexico, so it's likely that they're made in the same factory, or at least based on the same reference design. The Toshiba merely has a DVD-R drive and a different software version to accompany it.

As for the UPS, it's a good idea if only for the convenience of not having to reboot after a power failure or lose any recordings in progress. Most UPSes, and cheap ones in particular, don't offer much in the way of surge protection, and the cheap ones certainly don't act as power conditioners.

And there is a certain skepticism that consumer surge protectors don't do nearly as much as they claim to in the first place. While they don't hurt, they aren't the impenetrable and absolute shields that a lot of the ad copy implies them to be.
Bimwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #358
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_r_reed
I've read the return policy (and 4 yr service plan) documents from Best Buy a dozen times and am planning a trip there tomorrow. Does the service plan cover lightening or other "acts of God"?

What's the word on the RS-TX20? Good? Bad?

All thoughts, advice are greatly appreciated.

J.R.
you bought a good unit. The higher price among TiVos however reflects the DVD burner. I would place the quality of the Toshiba unit slightly above a HUMAx DVD burner TiVo though. The HUMAX model is more closely aligned to the Stand Alone TiVo 540 model. Humax was going for lowest price while Toshiba took a little more of the quality road.

I own a 240 TiVo, 540 TiVo, SD H400 and RS TX20 Toshiba models. all four have operated just fine for me with none of the problems listed in this thread. Bear in mind of course that most people find this thread when they have a problem and are looking for answers. I happen to be into the added features of TiVo like HME and TiVoToGo and future direction of TiVo in general so I come to these forums even though I am not having specific problems to solve.

now in general TiVo has gone down a raod of lower price point over time - looking for that magic 99$ price that would move boxes and sell subscriptions. So of course quality of parts has moved toward the low cost spectrum, but still overall they have a decent track record on quality. The only real hiccup in the road was the rush out the door of version 7.1 for TiVoToGo, that had some glitches but the DVD burner TiVos did not get it due to differetn code branches. 7.x will come to the DVD burners later this year with all the whiz bang features so that all TiVos are based on the same code base. Hopefully, with round 2 things will go pretty smoothly.

as for the discontinued part. I have not looked to see if Toshiba is putting out a newer model. In general MY SPECULATION is that a cable card reference design is in the works and will be released first half of 2006. Most likely TiVo makers are watching their inventory in advance of that.

I love my RS TX20 though and it has the added advantage of being able to go back to TiVoBasic when/if newer models come out that I get and migrate to. Add to that DVD burning that my 8 year old can do and it is a box that will be in service for a long time to come in some capacity
Old 07-12-2005, 12:50 PM   #359
bigjohn

Got my RS-TX20 Sunday evening after going to a couple stores, seems they are running low on supply...

Setup and operation a breeze as usual - just need something meaty to test the DVD burner with - playback is fine (watched Stripes last night).

No real complaints except for the lack of a Playlist button on the remote (I know, Tivo button twice, but it's not the same)
RCA DVR-40
Sony SVR-2000 "Little" 118hr/TurboNet
Sony SVR-2000 "Big" 193hr/TurboNet
bigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:08 PM   #360
Mahkook

firmware version???

Could others out there with the RS-TX** please do me a small favor and check the firmware of your DVD drive (shown in the sytem info page)? I am experiencing some problems with playback of newer rented DVD's that might be due to new copy prevention schemes they are using (explained in another thread). I would like to know your firmware version and how new your machine is so that I can compare and possibly contact Toshiba for a firmware update if I have an older version.

Mine: DVD-RW DVR 108RZ rev. 1.15

Muito Obrigado!
Mahkook
Mahkook is offline   Reply With Quote