TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2005, 08:34 AM   #241
jkielyovit

humax

Hello, Iím attempting to install one of the recommended wireless adaptors to my Humax. However, the recorder is not recognizing the adaptor. Also, when I go to settings and go to phone/network settings, I only have the option to edit phone settings. Any advice?
jkielyovit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:35 PM   #242
tivoasb

Linksys WUSB11 older versions

You can easily find an older version WUSB11 on eBay
Just search on either:
WUSB11 ver 2.6
WUSB11 ver 2.8

There are plenty of them out there.
tivoasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:39 PM   #243
tivoasb

I had the same problem. If the dvr does not recognize the adapter the network settings will not appear in the set-up for you to configure.
tivoasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #244
Briantivo

Tivo wireless photos/music Mac?

My Phillips Tivo works on my Netgear wireless, I think w111 v1 (updated) at the Tivo end. I installed Tivo desktop on my Mac, and turnde it "on". The program updates fine, but the Tivo won't recognize my mac. Is it a secret TCP setting, or should I not even try to get photos/music?
Thanks
Brian
Briantivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #245
maxxl
HAPPY IS HAPPY DOES

DWL-G120 is not even in the stores yet.

Tivo thankyou for making my life real fun the last 4 weeks. First i baught the D-link Dwl-G120 wireless adapters because you were selling them on the website, at that time u did not specify version B2. Then about a month later I see you note that I have to have version B2 of the above adapter. Now after calling every computer store in Michigan I find out there is no version B2 in michigan. Now what do I do??? I call D-Link sales they would know. Guesse what?? DWL-G120 is not even in the stores yet. oh After countless hours of looking for this stuff ohhhh I am not happy.
MAXXL
All they had to do was post in there note on the "recommended wirless adapters" that these adapters are not in stores yet. I wish i could get a free one with all the time I put into looking for this stuff it would have paid for it. I WILL POST WHEN I START SEEING THEM IN THE STORES.

Last edited by maxxl : 03-14-2005 at 06:39 PM.
maxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:33 PM   #246
DCDivenut

Annoying Question

Hello.. Looking for the answer to what is probably a dumb question but since I am helping my girlfriend install this I would rather look dumb here than in front of her

I did read this entire thread and do some additional searching but I just wantto be sure that what I am thinking is correct....

She has a Verizon DSL connection with a combo modem/wireless router that is 802.11g. I know that Tivo doesn't "do" G (except for the workaround but since she is just going to eliminate the phone line and occasionally use the HMO to play mp3s I think B is fine.

My question is if I buy one of the reccomended adapters it will work on the G network even though it is a B card, right?

BTW she has a 140 box running ver. 7.1 software.
DCDivenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 12:20 AM   #247
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

If it's all standard, an 802.11b card should work fine on an 802.11g network -- however, with at least older 802.11g routers, having even one item connect as 802.11b will cause the entire network to drop to the slower 802.11b speed. More expensive newer routers don't have this problem.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:03 AM   #248
digitalfirefly

Anyon still having this problem?

Tivo software version 02.2.240
Tivo series 2 tivo
Netgear ME101 Bridge
Netgear 614

*I managed to hook up via a 50 foot network cable so I can use my Tivo til they fix this problem. It's not recognizing my Wireless Netgear ME101.

Last edited by digitalfirefly : 04-15-2005 at 07:53 PM.
digitalfirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:20 PM   #249
bst11112

Hi!

Need Help! I just installed a wireless system (Router Netgear MR814 11Mbps and Adapter Netgear WG111 54 Mbps). I also rec'd the new Tivo software today.
It understands the Adapter and I can use the Tivo to go, connect to Tivo via wireless, schedule shows online, but using the music and photos options dosen't work. When I click into the option it shows the Best Buy music and photos from Nikon and they of course work. I added my own music and photos but they do not go to my Tivo server.
Any Help Please!
Thank You
Tom
bst11112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:36 PM   #250
Rick Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bst11112
Hi!

Need Help! I just installed a wireless system (Router Netgear MR814 11Mbps and Adapter Netgear WG111 54 Mbps). I also rec'd the new Tivo software today.
It understands the Adapter and I can use the Tivo to go, connect to Tivo via wireless, schedule shows online, but using the music and photos options dosen't work. When I click into the option it shows the Best Buy music and photos from Nikon and they of course work. I added my own music and photos but they do not go to my Tivo server.
Any Help Please!
Thank You
Tom
Make sure your firewall is setup to let Tivo access the files. I had the same problem with mine, when I set it up.

Rick
Rick Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 01:13 AM   #251
paradave

Ive been real happy with my tivo of two days now!! BUT.... dang tivo software is persnicity about its usb adapters... I have a netgear wireless setup in my house, so I went with the wg111 for my adapter... now before i get started, I am a network engineer, so I knew I would probably screw it up so I read and read and read some more before buying my equipment and bringing it home...
:
Now comes the fun part. Hooked it all up, everything went smooth, hooked it up to my home theatre setup really, really easy. but went to add the nic in... eeehhhh no-go. so I remembered that I had to have the 7.1 software for my nic, ok fine. finnally got it this afternoon, and was estatic to get it so fast.. that was at four this afternoon. Finally at 8:30pm I gave up and started looking for other adapters to buy per the webpage suggestions. went to best buy, bought every usb wireless they had!! brought em home, hooked up the SAME nic i had before but it was a wg111na instead of a wg111t, and bigity bam!! fired right up, set up the dhcp, i was hooked up baby!! LOL so Im going to send an email to whoever sets up the nic list and tell him, not ALL wg111's are the same.... but anyways, thanks for listening to me ramble. Talk to you guys later, im going to hop over to the help section and see if I can change these GOD AWEFUL colors on my grid.

Thanks,

Dave
paradave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:57 PM   #252
hitech_rednek
Extreme Tech Weenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Texas
Make sure your firewall is setup to let Tivo access the files. I had the same problem with mine, when I set it up.

Rick
To take it even further, make sure you don't have two firewalls on the PC

My son's PC gave me fits with TiVo Desktop until I realized he had a firewall running that came with the anti-virus package (forget which one) in addition to the Windows XP personal firewall. Had to open ports in both. I guess I could have disabled the second one but everything else was working so I just left it there.
Humax Series 2 80 hour (Monthly,wireless-WUSB11)
hitech_rednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #253
pauljb55
Now in Miami Beach

Damn you DHCP

Ok, just purchased my 2nd tivo. tried to connect after initial setup with a phone line and I can get the wireless connected to the network @ 95% and I cant get the DHCP to work! I tried reseting my router and removed all WEP and MAC requirements and still no luck.

DI-614+
and WUSB-11 2.6
pauljb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #254
rrl98a

The link worked fine for me but it just gets me started. It doesn't solve the problem I am running into. Do you have any advice for my thread under Connecting to network?
rrl98a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:13 PM   #255
quarque

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkielyovit
Hello, Iím attempting to install one of the recommended wireless adaptors to my Humax. However, the recorder is not recognizing the adaptor. Also, when I go to settings and go to phone/network settings, I only have the option to edit phone settings. Any advice?
If it really is "approved" then it should see it. So my guess is that is not the EXACT version of hardware or firmware that Tivo can deal with. I went through the same thing a couple weeks ago, then I found this forum and got the right hardware. In my case I needed a 802.11b model (b-mode only) adapter because I was setting up a peer-to-peer network between 2 Tivos with no router or AP. Apparently nothing with '802.11g' capability will work in a p2p setup.

What is the model, hardware version and firmware version? It should all be on the side of the box. Then go to the Tivo site and find the *complete* adapters list to see if it is really on the list for *your* Tivo box (certain ones are incompatible with certain devices). It is all clear as mud...
quarque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:48 AM   #256
DFNYC

Version Number on WUSB11

Just an FYI folks, I was in CompUSA today looking for a compatible adapter and YES I finally found the version number on the outside of the box. It resides in very SMALL print on the barcode label....it's almost hidden in there...the ones I looked at today clearly said v4 on them. Caveat Emptor !!

3 Series 2's including a DRT800
DFNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:59 PM   #257
Gai-jin

Are there any adapters that are not listed or are listed as uncompatible which can be used with a 140 series?

For example, I know I have used a MN-510 before with an old 60 hour tivo...
Gai-jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:02 PM   #258
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Strangely enough, although it's listed with a red thumbs down, I use a WUSB12 with my 140 series. Works wonderfully!!!!

Stacey
Hot4Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:24 PM   #259
petebags
petebags

Red face THEY were on the box I bought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtrRef
The sad part about the Linksys version numbers is that they are NOT on the box. You have to get the little beast home before you aer working on upgrading your software for the Tivo box. I'm assuming that this is a driver issue. But I'm having a hard time understanding why it will take "up to five business days" to download a driver.
I bought my version 2.6 from KMART...found the version number in very small letters on the box! Were talking Linux drivers...not as simple to construct as Windows drivers!!
petebags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:25 PM   #260
pattipie

What I Learned the Hard Way

Getting a TiVo working with a wireless adapter (no land phone line) has been quite an ordeal (40 hours?). Here's what I learned along the way. Maybe it will help someone else trying to do this!

1) If you have to borrow someone's phone for your first phone call for Guided Setup: Set it up as if you were at home making the call. If you have satellite at home, don't set things up as cable because that's what is at the home of the borrowed phone line. Ditto on all the rest of the questions.

2) Buying your wireless router and adapter:
a) Buy both of the same brand. Otherwise they might not talk to each other well.
b) Make sure you use the adapters recommended by TiVo. Otherwise they won't work.
c) Don't trust what the sales guy at the retail store tells you. Even with TiVo's recommended list in my hand, they sold me a version that wouldn't work. I had to return it to the store and buy a different brand. Check those version numbers!! D-Link's version numbers are listed where the serial numbers are on the outside of the box. I wound up with NetGear because Circuit City didn't have a D-Link model on TiVo's list.

3) Using a NetGear wireless router and adapter:
a) You will have to have a computer to set these up, and an active internet connection. Otherwise you cannot connect to the internet to register the product. You must register in order to get telephone support. If you use telephone support, don't expect to get a technician whose first language is English, or who can answer a simple question (they apparently read from a manual, and if you interrupt with a question, they simply read the next line). You must also go on-line to set up your WEP key because (at least for the model I bought) no WEP key is pre-installed on the router. You will set up the WEP key using some phrase you like and a hexadecimal key will be generated. Write this number down because the generated key, not the phrase you like, will be the one you will enter from the Tivo box to make everything talks to each other.

4) Know what types of cables you will need:
a) If the wireless router has only ethernet connections, and your computer has only USB connections, you will have special needs. I bought a USB to ethernet adapter, which worked fine after a simple software install for the adapter. I got mine from Radio Shack.
b) Make sure if you need an ethernet cable, that's really what you buy. I tried a "networking cable" from Circuit City, which a different sales guy than the first one assured me was an ethernet cable. It wouldn't work. Make sure it says "ethernet" cable on the package. Best Buy had a nice selection.

5) If you have a USB hub:
a) Make sure you have a high speed hub. Otherwise you will get messages that say you are trying to connect a high speed USB device to a low speed USB hub. (I didn't risk ignoring this message. I bought a new one at Radio Shack.)
b) Make sure you have a hub that plugs into an electrical socket. Otherwise you will get a message saying the hub doesn't have enough power to run the device.

6) Do things in the right order. Make your land line call first. Get your wireless router set up and test it. Install the wireless adapter on your TiVo box, change your network settings, and test the connection. Whatever you do, don't go through guided setup again because you will have to go find that land phone line to do it!

Perhaps my experience was unique. Maybe I'm just not enough of a techie. But my original gift to my daughter was supposed to be a Humax Tivo Box and a year's subscription to Tivo service. I wound up buying a wireless router, wireless adapter, USB to ethernet adapter, a new high-speed powered USB hub, and two cables: about $200 more than I had planned. Add up all the time I spent buying these items, returning some of them, phone calls to tech support, cussing when things didn't work, etc. WHEW! One thing for sure, I am DETERMINED.

All I can say is that I really love MY OWN TiVo (which was a snap to set up with a phone line) or I would have given up somewhere along the way.

Good luck!!
pattipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:01 PM   #261
teacherkris

Ibook/Airport photos

I've searched around and haven't been able to find this topic so hopefully I'm not duplicating. Anyway, I have an ibook and use it wirelessly with my airport. I want to view my photos from iphoto on my t.v. Do I just need to use a USB cable to connect the Tivo to the Airport? I keep seeing links to various d-link systems but do I need those if I already have my wireless Airport system? Excuse my ignorance on this!
teacherkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:56 AM   #262
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

teacherkris,

If I understand correctly, as long as your iBook is the machine running the TiVo server software and the rest of the systems can see your iBook. I don't think you'd need a wired connection.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #263
fredgwynne

Series2 DirecTiVo w/ Airport Express

Here's one for the Mac experts:

I have an Airport Extreme Based Station and recently got an Airport Express I'm current using as a repeater and to connect to my stereo. I would like to connect it to my DirecTiVo Series2, as well, as was wondering if I could simply use the USB jack in the Airport Express to go directly into the TiVo. If not that, can I use the Ethernet jack as an out, and then get an Ethernet to USB adapter to go into the TiVO?

Thanks for the help.
fredgwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:17 AM   #264
Desert Don

Thumbs down Help setting up tivo2 with cable card, vonage & Netgear G-111 wireless

Hi All:

I've read links till I'm blue.........
Just bought a series 2 stand alone direct from Tivo, They shipped me the Netgear USG G-111....how ever the Tivo has the old (5.0) software.

1. How do I specify a cable card in my setup?
2. how do I connect with Vonage to get the updated software that should have been included?

It's been a lousy 24 hours

Thanks,

Don
Desert Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:40 AM   #265
virtual_bliss
New to TiVo

I have v7.1b on a series 2 540. I bought a Netgear G router with the recommended usb G Netgear adaptor indicated on TiVo's site. I've turned off all security settings and cannot get the Tivo to find the network. I have a PC and Mac able to use the wireless network though.

The odd part, is that the Tivo will detect and connect to two of my neighbor's wireless networks, a Linksys and 2wire. However it cannot seem to find my own wireless network from within my house! How is this possible?
virtual_bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:32 AM   #266
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

I've seen mentioned here the idea of running an 802.11b router for my TiVos (one of which is a Humax DVD burner so doesn't yet support 802.11g); I replaced my 802.11g router and have the old linksys 802.11b. However, I'm trying to remember networking limitations. If I go from my cable modem to the 802.11g router (default internal IP address 192.168.0.1, external address whatever Comcast gives it, and I will have set it to be "G-only" rather than mixed mode), can I just plug the 802.11b router into it (default internal address 192.168.1.1)? and let it get an external address from the 802.11g's DHCP pool (or use a fixed address I suppose in the 192.168.0.x non-DHCP range)? And of course use non-overlapping channels (if all my neighbors' networks make that even possible? and differring network names? Does that violate any networking standards?
Old 07-05-2005, 02:11 PM   #267
cannon
cannon

linksys wusb11 stopped working

I had my TIVO up and running on my home wireless network with a tivo tested and certified wireless adapter, linksys wusb11 v.3.0, for 6 months and it recently stopped working ('no network adapter found' error). I hadn't changed any network settings, or hadn't even touched the adapter. I called TIVO support, who told me it must be my adapter that went bad, but also that TIVO doesn't guarantee that wireless adapters will work. I went and bought a new, TIVO tested and certified, wireless network adapter, linksys wusb11 v.2.8, and my TIVO doesn't identify this new adapter, either. Ideas? Help, please.
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:15 PM   #268
dhart

If you have a good signal report on your wireless connection as viewed from TiVo software but are getting connection errors upon testing ignore those errors and go ahead and download. Most likely the download will suceed. Even if you TiVo software reports it failed upon download attempt go ahead and reboot and it will now report successful download. This wireless network software in version 7.1b has serious bugs.
dhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:44 PM   #269
trenec

I use a Linksys WUSB12 to network my TiVo. It's worked fine for a long time until now. I recently switched from cable to DSL and also a Linksys wireless router to an integrated SBC 2Wire wireless router/DSL Modem. Now, my TiVo finds the network, and I can see the TiVo on my modem/router's network, but I keep getting a No DHCP server error. I've called TiVo, and that didn't help (told me to remove firewall for one sync - never could sync and the other one was "sorry, can't help"". Curiously I also see an error on the TiVo that says that the password may be incorrect yet it shows signal strength. More info if it helps: I have a Mac running OS X 10.4.2. Any suggestions? Thanks!
trenec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 02:24 PM   #270
PeterGriffinFan
Neophyte

Sorry if this is a rookie question--all searches led nowhere...
I have cable telephone, modem, cable package. TIVO folks say Tivo can't work with the digital phone signal thus dropped calls, failures to connect to service messages.
Short of wireless connection is there an adaptation/fix for digital phone service?
PeterGriffinFan is offline   Reply With Quote