TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2005, 01:13 AM   #301
jdean5

I'm close to getting the Toshiba RS-TX20 and have been reading some old posts on here. Forgive me if I'm asking something that may have been answered before, but some of the posts were old and perhaps there have been updates.

My first question is: For this model, if I transfer existing saved shows from my current Series 2 Tivo, will I be able to record to a DVD? I saw in previous posts that there had been a compatability issue and this was not possible? To anyone's knowledge has it been addressed (or will it never be a possiblity)? I guess if I can't "DVD record" what I have saved currently, I may as well just increase the hard drive or get a regular 2nd unit? It's disappointing to think I can't archive what I have to DVD...I won't go the old videotape route...too spoiled now.

Also, I saw that the Pioneer DVD recorder had an accelerated record transfer time while the Humax is in real time. Anyone know what the Toshiba record time is?

Thanks in advance for any input!!
jdean5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:14 PM   #302
Chmeeee

As far as I know, there is still no way to record transferred shows onto DVD.

As for recording time, I have only made one DVD so far, and it took under 30 minutes to burn a disc with 4 - 1 hour shows on it (medium quality). I was pretty impressed.
Chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:18 PM   #303
ashu
User title defunct

You can record transferred shows to DVD by TiVoToGo-ing them to your PC But, yes, not on the Toshiba (or any other TiVo/DVDRecorder) unit.

If saving your old shows is critical, yeah, get a larger drive in an existing TiVo. I recommend TTG and burning there. You can also use the front inputs on the Toshiba, record the shows from the old TiVo as a Manual, external source recording, and burn them. You have to do the recording in real-time, though (obviously).

This initial inconvenience is minor when weighed against future convenience. I am quite well-versed with PC-video massaging, DVD authoring etc - but ever since I bought my Humax, it's the ONLY way I archive TV shows (I plan ahead and record archive-worthy suff on the Humax and not other TiVos). I also don't use my PC nearly as much to dump DV tape from my camcorder. The Humax makes incredible DVDs from High/Best quality DV dumps!

Burn speed:
The Toshibas and Humaxes use Pioneer DV-108Z drives, theoretically capable of DualLayer 4X and Single Layer 8X burning. Shortly after I bought my Humax (12/04), it downloaded a new firmware version (1.15) for the drive and now finishes 4 hour medium quality burns in around 17 minutes! As do the Toshiba RS's.

Make sure you use good DVDs. Crummy DVDs will fail when burnt at high speeds (esa, LiquidVideeo et al). TaiyoYuden 8X DVDs seem to burn at 4-8X consistently. Often sold as Madi in Japan Memorex/TDK/Fuji DVD-R! The made in Taiwan ones are also decent - 4X with high reliability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:32 PM   #304
Brainiac 5

Unless I'm mistaken (someone tell me if I am), you cannot even burn shows transferred from another DVD recorder TiVo. This seems to indicate that the problem is not just technical - for whatever reason they just don't seem to want you to be able to do this (even though you could burn the same recordings to DVD using TiVoToGo).
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:40 PM   #305
jdean5

I recommend TTG and burning there. You can also use the front inputs on the Toshiba, record the shows from the old TiVo as a Manual, external source recording, and burn them. You have to do the recording in real-time, though (obviously). This initial inconvenience is minor when weighed against future convenience.

Thank you for all the input; I really do appreciate it. A new dilemma: I was thinking of getting just a DVD recorder. I saw on other posts that you can hook up to the Tivo unit just as you would a VCR and then "Save to VCR" (but really it would be saving to a dvd). The price for a regular DVD recorder is a bit more friendly but I still think I"d rather have everything in one unit.

It seems I do have some options I did not know about; TIVO, TO GO for instance. So I can save to my computer and then burn on a DVD? Obviously my computer would have to have a DVD-RW? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

But, I think the one that really has me leaning toward going with the Toshiba TIVO is the fact that I can plug in my existing Tivo to the front of the Toshiba and record that way. It's really the same as if I got a plain DVD recorder (records in real time) but like you said the initial inconvenice would be minor. Just to clarify, my existing Tivo Series 2 would hook up to the front of the new Toshiba TIVO , I would record it as "new" to the unit, then transfer to DVD?
Old 06-28-2005, 09:49 PM   #306
ashu
User title defunct

Your TTG interpretation is fine. And you'll learn more details once you start using it.

As for your choice/decision - that's between you, your perception and value of your free time, and your wallet. Can't help with any of those (although I'd happily lighten your wallet if offered )

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 06-28-2005, 10:49 PM   #307
jdean5

Ha. I need every cent for my new TIVO. Was I on target about using the front jacks on the Toshiba to transfer and then burn to DVD's? Have you heard any stories (good, bad) about using a non-tivo DVD recorder to recorder off the unit?
Old 06-29-2005, 09:55 PM   #308
zhelder

Advice in Hooking Up RS-TX20

Hi everyone. I just purchased an RS-TX20 unit, taking advantage of the great deal at Best Buy. I haven' t hooked it up yet, because I'm trying to figure out the best way to hook up my unit. I am going to hook the unit up to a relatively old 27" Sony TV. (One set of composite A/V inputs, one s-video input). I have a Hughes Directivo unit hooked up to this set (secondary unit) and a Panasonic VCR with two sets of composite A/V jacks. I have basic cable on the set as well, but if possible I would like to keep the Directivo unit hooked up to the TV and use the RS-TX20 in conjunction with the Directivo unit, since I get many more channels on DirecTV. Can the RS-TX20 change channels on the Directivo unit and use the Directivo unit as a tuner? Also, any suggestions on how to hook up the RS-TX20 to work in conjunction with the Directivo unit while keeping the VCR hooked up? Thanks for any info!
zhelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:09 PM   #309
orion27

I have a question about the TX20. I just set mine up yesterday and started the 45 day Plus trial. It then said 6 days remaining in the messages so I called Toshiba and they said it would have the full 45; the counter sometimes mis-displays the time left on that model.

I was looking at the things one can do with the Plus service, including Online scheduling. Is there a way to try that feature during the trial? It seems I need to activate the Tivo, but to do so I would have to subscribe, which I don't want to do, at least not yet.

Also, when a scheduled record is about to start, it pops up the box asking if I want to switch to that channel. Is there a way to disable the question and just have it switch automatically?

Thanks.

Last edited by orion27 : 06-29-2005 at 11:22 PM.
orion27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #310
ashu
User title defunct

zhelder: you, sir, are a prime candidate for someone to say "read the manual" to. No offense. You've missed the point of a TiVo. It can only 'tune' over the air or basic cable. Anything encoded/encryped (satellite box, cable box) is sent to it as a video signal, and it controls (and TAKES OVER) channel changing on said box. (Once your TiVo is set up) You can throw away your satellite/cable box remote. So I'll say it "Read the manual".

orion27: online scheduling etc - onlly for valid, registered accounts. I guess it cross-references their internal account-holder database and their channel preferences. A tril is probably not registered the same way. I doubt you can disable that popup - but its default action is to go ahead and change channels to make the recording anyway.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 06-30-2005, 10:17 PM   #311
Tpfer

ashu: you sir might want to know what you are talking about before you start slamming people.

I also got a toshiba since I wanted to transfer some dv to dvd quickly. I have 4 directv boxes and I have hooked up the to toshiba to a directivo unit. the regualr tivo comes with IR cable that changes the channels on the Direvtv unit. I can also set it up to a non-tivo dtv unit and record from satellite.
Tpfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:21 PM   #312
ashu
User title defunct

caught me napping there, tpfer - I speed-read the question and assumed it was about a regular (non dtivo) directv box. apologies to zhelder.

The manual would still be handy, eh

And tpfer - define 'slamming' While you're at it, define 'misinterpretation"

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 07-01-2005, 08:29 AM   #313
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder
I am going to hook the unit up to a relatively old 27" Sony TV. (One set of composite A/V inputs, one s-video input).

I have a Hughes Directivo unit hooked up to this set (secondary unit)

and a Panasonic VCR with two sets of composite A/V jacks.

I have basic cable on the set as well,

but if possible I would like to keep the Directivo unit hooked up to the TV
and use the RS-TX20 in conjunction with the Directivo unit, since I get many more channels on DirecTV.
Can the RS-TX20 change channels on the Directivo unit and use the Directivo unit as a tuner?

Also, any suggestions on how to hook up the RS-TX20 to work in conjunction with the Directivo unit while keeping the VCR hooked up? Thanks for any info!
well you got the answer on using the IR balster (does serial cable work to a Hughes?) to control the DirectTiVo and I assume it has composite out you can hook to the composite in on the TX20. Never had a DirectTiVo or DirectTV so this is only my assumption. The manual for both units will have the details

as for the VCR, since I am assuming the DirectTiVo can hook up to the composite in on the TX20 -
then you can bring basic cable and hook it to the VCR first and then hook the VCR via COAX to the TX20 and then COAX out from the TX20 to the TV. I would use the svideo input on the TV for the DirectTiVo as it has the digital source.
Also hook composite out on the TX20 back to the VCR so you can do the "save to VCR" if wanted.
If you want to watch a tape from the VCR then you need to put the TX20 into standby so the VCR will pass through to the TV from coax. Check the manual on passthrough on the TX20

personally i would take the VCR out of the picture and just use the DVD recorder to make and play DVDs.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:15 PM   #314
jdean5

Component Video Hook Up Question

Component Video Hook Up Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ashu,

I posted this elsewhere...maybe you have some answer? Any one else ? Greatly appreciated...thanks!

My new Toshiba arrived yesterday and hook up went great...except... I'm hoping someone has had some experience with component cables and can help me out.

My old DVD player was hooked up with Component cables to my TV (my tv has component cable inputs). The difference with component cables was really great...the clarity when I would watch DVD's was awesome. In my old set up I'd have to switch my TV channel from SVHS (which is what Tivo feeds thru on my TV) to CVI (the channel my tv feeds thru for my DVD player).

So, today after hooking up all cables...including the component cables and audio cable (S Video Cable) from the Toshiba DVD recorder to the TV, as I did with my previous stand alone DVD player, I encountered this problem: No audio on the CVI channel. The DVD video and audio come thru on the SVHS channel and in flipping back and forth between channels, I notice that the CVI channel's quality is slightly better, and of course I'd like to continue to use my component video feed.

I called Toshiba and some nasty man (who was trying his best to be polite) first told me my audio hookup was wrong, but I simply have the audio coming out of the Toshiba TIVO, back into my TV...I think that's correct. He said he really couldn't help me because he wasn't familiar with my TV (a Phillips). He said if it was a Toshiba TV he could tell me exactly what to do.

Anyone have any input? Thanks a lot!
Old 07-02-2005, 06:06 PM   #315
windracer
joined the 10k club

It sounds like you haven't connected any audio cables (red/white) or TOSlink (optical). You mentioned S-Video for "audio" but S-Video only carries video. You'll still need to connect the red/white cables to your TV input, or the optical to your receiver (or TV, if it supports it).

It sounds like you're using both video outputs at the same time: one to the "DVD" input of your TV, and one to the CVI. But there's only one set of composite audio jacks, so you'll either need a splitter, or connect the composite audio to DVD (like you've got) and use the optical for the other.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:54 PM   #316
jdean5

Hey ...thanks so much for your input.

I do have red/white cables going from to my tv input, from the tivo dvd player.

In my case, the "DVD" input IS the "CVI". In my stand alone DVD hookup before, the DVD fed through the CVI channel. You are definitely right that it seems I have two video outputs going on. The SVHS output is for TIVO and with my old hookup the CVI output was for DVD. I still have both outputs now but can't figure out where my wires are going wrong to have no audio on the CVI channel.

I have three connections. They are:

1) Component on DVD/TIVO to Component on TV

2) OUT: Audio R, Audio L (red, white), S Video on DVD/TIVO to IN: Audio R, Audio L (red, white) S Video on TV

3) IN: Audio R, Audio L (red, white), S Video on DVD/TIVO to OUT: Audio R, Video L ,S Video on Cable Box.

It worked on my last unit but somewhere along the way here I"m going wrong.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:14 PM   #317
windracer
joined the 10k club

But the problem is you only have audio cables going to a single input on the TV (SVHS) but have video going to both (SVHS and CVI). That's why there's no audio on the CVI input.

I think the confusion here is that you don't need two separate video outputs for the TX20 ... it doesn't matter if you're watching TiVo or a DVD, there's a single video signal from the DVR.

So, what I think you need to do is run the component video cables and a set of red/white audio cables from the back of the TX20 to a single input on your TV (component jackset on your TV should also have audio jacks). Then, you watch both DVDs and TiVO on the same TV input ... no need to switch inputs to watch a DVD or TV.

Basically, combine #1 and #2 you have listed ... no need for S-Video anymore. Your cable box to TiVo setup is fine.

I may still be confused, but that's how I've integrated my TX20 into my setup. The only difference is I also run a TOSlink optical cable to my receiver so I can use surround sound when watching DVDs.

|
Old 07-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #318
jdean5

Thank You!

That literally took me 5 seconds...and it worked!!! Thanks a million!
Old 07-02-2005, 10:17 PM   #319
windracer
joined the 10k club

Always glad to help!

|
Old 07-03-2005, 12:17 AM   #320
SpikeyMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by iml84myd8s
I've been reading everyone's posts. Sorry if I missed the answer to this, but I cannot seem to find the answer to my questions. So here are my questions...

I see the RS-TX20 has a Digital Audio Output (Optical Toslink). I have two questions regarding this.

I know a Movie DVD with Dolby Digital format can be played with the RS-TX20 DVD player so an audio receiver can produce the DD surround sound effects.

1. If a movie is recorded from a Satellite or Cable box with the Tivo feature, can this movie be replayed from the RS-TX20 hard drive with the DD surround sound effect?
2. Can this movie be written from the hard drive to a DVD using the DVD Recorder so that the Dolby Digital format can be replayed from this DVD later while reproducing the DD surround sound effect?

Thanks in advance.
I haven't been able to locate an answer to iml84myd8s' second question: Can the DVD recorder burn the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio?
SpikeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:36 AM   #321
ashu
User title defunct

Nope. Only Dolby Pro Logic (II? Perhaps not) encoded Stereo.

TiVoToGo-ing it to my PC (via another TiVo) led to initial issues - until I downloaded the right codecs to handle Dolby Pro encoded audio streams.

<edit>
Ooohh - good catch there, windracer

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 07-03-2005, 09:36 PM   #322
bossofyou

I just bought an RS-TX20 that had no remote. I purchased a One-for-All URC-6131 remote, and have programmed everything, easlily, EXCEPT the RS-TX20. Anyone out there have a code that will work? I've tried the search function & nothing happens. Emailed OFA, & they're out until Tuesday, of course. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
bossofyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:49 PM   #323
zhelder

Almost got it right; thanks for the tips

Thanks to everyone who gave advice to me on my set-up. Apology accepted, Ashu. Thanks for sticking up for me, Tpfer. Thanks for the good advice, ZeoTivo. OK, well, I'm almost there. After reading the manual at least 10 times and following ZeoTivo's tips, I have the RS-TX20 and my Directivo hooked up to the set, and they both seem to be working. I am having a tremendous amount of difficulty, however, in getting the IR blaster to work consistently. Also, I've been going a little crazy because the RS-TX20 and the Hughes Directivo unit operate on the same remote frequency, and since the machines are so close together when a command is sent to one machine, the other machine picks up a command as well. Although only one video is displayed on the screen at one time, at times the channel bars from the two machines display at the same time, causing all sorts of confusion. Other times, the channel will appear to change, but the station remains the same. I have tried setting up the IR blaster using all sorts of configurations, and it has worked, but there are times when it does not work. I tried buliding a tent, and haven't had much luck. Either the signal penetrates the cloth or the IR blaster won't work. I'm real close, as I have been able to record programs from the satellite box onto the Toshiba unit, but until I can fix these problems with the remote and IR blaster, I'm going to be going crazy. I don't have the option to move the machines farther apart, so I'm hoping someone has some suggestions on how I can create an effective tent and how to improve the performance of the IR blaster. One last question: can the IR blaster be used to power a satellite/cable box on, or can it just change channels? Thanks again for any information.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:52 AM   #324
Runch Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder
Also, I've been going a little crazy because the RS-TX20 and the Hughes Directivo unit operate on the same remote frequency, and since the machines are so close together when a command is sent to one machine, the other machine picks up a command as well.
You can change the remote code that the two units respond to. Out of the box, they are both set to code 0, which allows them to respond to all remote codes. You need to change both boxes to a different remote code. Change one to respond to code 1 and the other to respond to code 2. To do this, cover up the front of one unit. Use the remote for the the other to go into the system info screen and page down to the remote code. You will see it shows 0 or not set. Cover the front of the remote and hold down the Tivo button and the pause button. When the light on the remote stays on, press the 1 button (or what ever number you want to set it to, 1-9). Then aim the remote at the tivo and press the 1 button again. (you can actually press any button). It will then change the code on the screen to the code you set. Do the same for the other unit. If it is a DirecTivo, you have to press the Directv button since there is no Tivo button on the remote.
DirecTV HR20 DVR with 1 terrabyte Drive inside.
Runch Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:29 AM   #325
ashu
User title defunct

Be careful changing the Remote Code on the DTiVo - the IR blasters (from the RS-TX20) may no longer send the same code-based signals out any more! You can reset the code - the manual mentions how (code 0, after TiVo-Pause, perhaps?)

I imagine changing the code for (only) the Toshiba and its remote *should* take care of things.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 07-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #326
Tpfer

ashu is right for once .

I had changed the code on the Toshiba and that helps, but it is not the real solution. The IR blaster converts some of the codes sent to the Toshiba and changes Directivo channels.(Tivo button, Record button,...)

I have not had a chance to mess with it too much and I have removed the Toshiba from the Directv box. It will work best with a regular satellite box. There is really no point in using the Toshiba, if you have enough Dirtectivos to record everyting you want. The Toshiba recording quality is not as good as the DTiVo recording quality.
Tpfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:56 AM   #327
zhelder

Well, I spent a whole bunch of time trying to get things to work. I changed the remote codes, to no avail. When the codes are set to different numbers, the IR blaster doesn't work. I threw in the towel and I pulled out a 5 year old RCA DirecTV receiver (the one I got when I originally got DirecTV) and hooked it up to the Toshiba. It's working better. Maybe one day when I'm feeling adventurous I'll try again, but after struggling with this for 10 days I'm tired. Two last quick questions: Is there any way to prevent the Toshiba from recording the displays of the DirecTV receiver (channel info, etc. )? And since I'm assuming the IR blaster can't be used to power on the DirecTV unit, does the DirecTV unit have to stay on at all times when recording programs from the satellite? Again, thanks to all for the help and information.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:10 AM   #328
ashu
User title defunct

My tip (endorsed by Tpfer - yay!) alluded to the problem you faced.

The TiVo can't be told not to record banners from the source cable/satellite box. It merely records whatever is sent to it along the input (SVideo ro Composite plus Audio). You can minimize it by changing settings on the box itself - shorter duration/greater transparency? The new software onA delphia's boxes allows for a 1-second banner, I love that! Matches my own shortened TiVo display banner.

And yes- you leave the cable/satellite box ON perennially. At 20-sih Watts on average, not a biggie. (IMnshO - especially compared to TiVo-less mindless channel surfing with all your AV equipment powered on - looking for something to watch!)

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 07-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #329
skatefan20

Hi! Newbie to Tivo (the device and the forum)!

Have hooked up my satellite box, an OTA DTV STB, and camcorder thru S-Video -- not at the same time.

Video quality is acceptable, although I find the Hauppauge card installed on my PC to be a tad bit better.

There is this weird thing going on when watching video thru S-video on the RS-TX20. When going from extremely dark scenes to bright scenes, from that point on, the video often whitens or is bleached momentarily at any time... it's somewhat like macrovision or a flash from a camera, but I know it's not macrovision.

I haven't hooked up the devices long enough thru the composite video to know if the glitch is present on that connection. The only remedy I have found is to watch thru composite, but I would rather watch thru the S-video connection -- there is a HUGE difference in image quality when using S-Video vs. composite on this Tivo. I don't usually notice this big of a difference between these two connections on other devices.

So, is there anyway I can resolve this S-video glitch? Does anyone else have this problem?
skatefan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:31 PM   #330
Bimwad

Glitches?

Hey all, new TX20 owner, and new to TiVo/TC.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the unit -- right now, I'm still using the Basic service, being fed with analog cable and connected thru S-video to my TV. It's getting updates thru a wireless connection to my network.

However, my experience has not been trouble-free.

The first unit I bought had a bad DVD drive -- it wouldn't open, and the system thought it was stuck in "Loading" mode. The drive didn't even register in the System Information screen. The TiVo portion worked fine.

So I exchanged it for another new unit, but this one has had glitches of its own.

I find that at certain times, when I change channels, the banner on the new channel disappears after an instant, instead of lingering a few seconds like it should (and is set) to.

More troublesome was when I returned home yesterday, I found the unit locked up with a grey screen, the clock display off, and the HD/DVD lights illuminated. It wouldn't respond to any of the buttons on the front panel or remote.

I pulled the plug and rebooted it, and it seems to be working fine again.

These are probably software related, and I realize that all software has bugs. The first problem is really minor, but I hoping the second was an anomaly and rebooting doesn't become a periodic requirement.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but my experience has me questioning my faith in Toshiba & TiVo QC/QA.

Anybody else?
Bimwad is offline   Reply With Quote