TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2005, 09:51 PM   #211
huguenot

IR emitter article

In his original post CCWF referred to a link for helping attach Dish 301 IR emitters

See this post for special advice on positioning the IR emitters for the DISH 301.)

but that link is dead -- it asks that you place "archive" in the URL in order to see that article. So how DO I look up that article since I don't have the URL?

Huguenot
huguenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:33 PM   #212
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huguenot
In his original post CCWF referred to a link for helping attach Dish 301 IR emitters

See this post for special advice on positioning the IR emitters for the DISH 301.)

but that link is dead -- it asks that you place "archive" in the URL in order to see that article. So how DO I look up that article since I don't have the URL?
I'll fix this particular link, but the general procedure is to go to the location bar of your browser and replace the http://www.tivocommunity.com/ shown there with http://archive.tivocommunity.com/ instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:47 PM   #213
tpalik

Greetings all ! Let me start by saying what a great resource this board has been to me.

I have tried to find the answer to the following with success thus far. I have a Hughs HTL-HD STB connected to my Series 2 Tivo. Using the serial control cable, the Tivo controls the STB just fine. However, if I change a channel using the STB remote, the Tivo becomes out of synch. The Tivo still thinks the STB is on its original channel.

There is a feature on the STB for "VCR Control" but there are many codes not one of which is Tivo. Has anyone found a solution to this ?

Cheers,
Tony
tpalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #214
DrGaellon

Arrow

Is there a thread similar to this one for progamming the remote to control your television? If there is, I can't find it....
Old 03-30-2005, 02:03 PM   #215
tpalik

^bump^
tpalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:51 AM   #216
netposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl9500
Finally got fed up w/ comcast cable and got a dishnetwork 322 receiver a week ago.

After doing some reading here and a few other googled websites, it works great. Albeit w/ the necessary workaround to awaken the 322 after it's daily update.

But I have not yet seen the supposed "4-hour screensaver" some have mentioned. Perhaps that was a problem w/ earlier software versions, but does not appear to happen w/ mine (v157 if I read the sysinfo screen correctly). I was away most of the day a couple of days ago and my 322 never went into screensaver mode.

If it does happen to surface, I believe I have a perfect workaround: simply add a manual VCR timer on the 322 that starts, say, 30-60 minutes after the daily update, that lasts for 23 hours or so. That should take care any screensaver.

I use Echostar code 10001-Fast. Works flawlessly so far, except for when my SA Tivo (series 1 Phillips), does the FIRST channel change after the manual VCR timer (after AutoTune timers, my tivo changes fine). The first digit tivo sends via IR blaster seems to get eaten up by the dish 322. Simple workaround. Just add a manual daily 5min Tivo SeasonPass a couple of minutes after the VCR timer starts. Voila.

My tivo came w/ twin IR blaster "Y-cable". So I just attached both about one-inch away in front (to the left and right) of the 3 IR ports on the 322.

I have to add the 322 is a nice little dual-tuner receiver. From what info I've gathered, the daily update should only take a few seconds (or few minutes at most). The 322 needs to be in standby mode (both TV1 and TV2) to switch to the Sat channel to download guide data, then it leaves itself in standby mode (screensaver mode), which is why you need to add the manual 322 timer to "awaken" it for Tivo.

I also disable the front-panel (up/down) buttons via the 322 menus; which unfortunately does not disable the front-panel "power" button. So I use a 322 VCR timer (instead of AutoTune) just in case someone has hit the power off, having the Tivo manual 5-min daily SeasonPass, keeps the 322 out of standby mode after the daily update. However, if someone hits the power-off any other time and the Tivo wants to record, of course you're screwed.

Hope this is of use to someone.

[edit: I should have mentioned... Enter key: NO]

I'm replying to your post so this gets bumped up and I posted this question for the DVR 522 here

I was told by Dish tech support about the 4 hr inactivity feature but have yet to confirm it. I'll post back here when I do my homework.

Thanks for the info...
netposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:47 PM   #217
raybrn

Thumbs up Viewmaster 4000

The Orbit fast code, 10017, seems to work.
raybrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #218
mdareau

question about serial on DTV H10

Well, my old Sony bought the farm with the LNB power suppy and they say I have to send it back to Sony since the parts are "no longer available", bought an H10, but don't have an HD to connect it to....whaaaaaa! Hey, just thinking ahead though...

Here's the question though, the old Sony remoted my stand alone Tivo (now a Humax DVR) thru the serial, since I hate that IR blaster...thought I had read somewheres that the H10 could use the low speed data port in the same fashion, so that solved my problem, or so I thought...I'm finding that I have to use the IR blaster, since it's not seeming possible to use the data port to remote the Tivo...

My install is older, not using a multiswitch to each set, so I was using the Sony's RF remote to run the upstairs set. But, the H10 is either IR only or RF only, so I can't just set the H10 to the Blaster, then change it to RF to use it for upstairs....

Anyone see anything I can do, to get back to using a serial connection to remote the Tivo? Of course, I *could* buy the DTV/Tivo, since they just dropped the $ by 300...sigh! But, that of course would mean buying yet another lifetime Tivo service contract..and yes, I know when I finally GO to a digital set, the Tivos I have will be unusable...lol!

Just thinking.....for now....

Thanks....
mdareau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:55 PM   #219
ycartf
I Samuel 16:7

Just an update on the controlling of an EchoStar Model 3000. I still find the best results with: 10001-Slow, and my trial with a Xantech blink IR emitter has been awesome. We record about 8 shows a day and in the year plus we have had this emitter we have only missed one channel change (and that could have been a power interruption or something ... was not home). I hope this helps anyone out there that is having a hard time with the IR emitter "arms" like I was. Happy TiVo-ing!

http://store.yahoo.com/asihome/xablemwimi.html
ycartf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:49 AM   #220
angel35

Question Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwf
Added DirecTV H10 entry.
Any up dates on 8300HD boxs from Time Warner

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:09 PM   #221
jk5598224

Can you buy the Serial Cable for Tivo to Cable Set Top Box at Radio Shack? I have General Instrument from Comcast.
jk5598224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:40 AM   #222
HeartBurn Kid

Didn't see anything about the Hughes SD-HBH DirecTV receiver on this list, so I thought I'd share my experiences; most of the Hughes codes work intermittently, but 10020-Fast seems to give the best reliability. Just spent about 10 minutes changing channels and haven't had a dropped change yet, whereas the other options I tried dropped 1 out of 10 changes.

Last edited by HeartBurn Kid : 06-07-2005 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Clarifying
HeartBurn Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:36 PM   #223
davezatz
Funkadelic

I saw a post on the forum by a person in Baltimore that Comcast is disabling the serial port on Motorolla DCT 2524 units. I just got a new one in another part of Maryland and can confirm it is also disabled. After getting the run around for about 30 minutes on the phone, I was told a technician enabled it... but if I ever turn off the cable box I will lose the feature. As it turns out, it was never activated anyway (either they were confused, made a mistake, or lied). So I can also confirm 00093 and 10006 are both working IR codes.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:15 PM   #224
bigusmfan

Forced to get Comcast Digital as they are moving HBO to the digital realm. Hooked up the Motorola 2524 and found the serial control non-functioning. IR cable ordered from Tivo since I had lost the original.
bigusmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:27 AM   #225
csyria

I recently bought a Motorola DCP501 unit. It has an integrated DCT2000 series cable box.

I've had success with the following setup:
Standard TiVo IR Blaster on top of unit, aligned with the "P" in the Model number on the front of the box, sticking out about an inch
Code: 00093, Fast
Enter Key, doesn't matter - it won't go faster either way

I've had this running for a few days, and I haven't missed a channel change yet.
csyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #226
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartBurn Kid
Didn't see anything about the Hughes SD-HBH DirecTV receiver on this list
Is this different than the Hughes Directory HBH-SA?

TiVo

中日韓
Old 07-22-2005, 10:25 AM   #227
ccwf
国際化 Member

Finally updated the main post to warn of the problems with the DirecTV's recent D10-100 software update. Also added content from the last few posts above. Thanks for all your contributions! I'm sure they will help many other TiVo DVR owners.

Sorry this last update took so long to do. Sometime after this board's vBulletin update, it developed a problem where it was rejecting all updates to the compatibility list with a SQL error, possibly because it has grown so large and complex. Problem is finally fixed now.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 08-01-2005, 05:22 PM   #228
darkcyber

Is there anyway to get the new Dish Network DVR 625 to work with the ir channel changing on Tivo?

I know it's a Dish DVR...but bear with me...I have a reason. Surely this DVR unit uses some of the same ir codes other Dish receivers use.
darkcyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #229
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcyber
Is there anyway to get the new Dish Network DVR 625 to work with the ir channel changing on Tivo?

I know it's a Dish DVR...but bear with me...I have a reason. Surely this DVR unit uses some of the same ir codes other Dish receivers use.
If it uses the same IR code set as DISH's 921 DVR, then it won't work with TiVo DVRs.

TiVo

中日韓

Last edited by ccwf : 08-03-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:55 AM   #230
darkcyber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwf
If it uses the same IR code set as DISH's 921 DVR, then it won't work with TiVo DVRs.
Well, does Tivo every update their IR codes? Is there a chance they might include IR codes for the 921 & 625 DVR's.

I got the DVR 625 just because it was only $5.00 extra a month...but I hate the thing. It's so complex to try and get it to record

I love my Tivo...thus why I wanted to hook my Tivo up to it. I guess if I can't get it to work...I'll just trade the 625 in for a regular dual tuner minus the DVR.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:26 AM   #231
guttermouf5150

Quote:

i have a Dish network 625, and my tivo has a code that works with it. of course it doesnt always work...
guttermouf5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:04 PM   #232
tivomythics

The new TiVo 7.2 software includes a "proactive channel check" that may cause problems for your D*TV receiver. My Hughes HTL-HD no longer works with serial control, but it is capable of working with IR control.
tivomythics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:35 PM   #233
ccwf
国際化 Member

Added note that owners of HTL-HDs and similar receivers will lose serial control capability for now with 7.2.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 08-27-2005, 01:37 AM   #234
zambrini

Clearmaster 9000

I'm racking my brain trying to find the code for a clearmaster 9000 cablebox.

Any ideas? Has anyone ever heard of this brand and model or am I the only person with one?

thanks.
zambrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:54 AM   #235
ccwf
国際化 Member

Added suggestion to turn off the DISH 322 daily updates with link to the procedure.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 08-30-2005, 01:59 AM   #236
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalik
GI have tried to find the answer to the following with success thus far. I have a Hughs HTL-HD STB connected to my Series 2 Tivo. Using the serial control cable, the Tivo controls the STB just fine. However, if I change a channel using the STB remote, the Tivo becomes out of synch. The Tivo still thinks the STB is on its original channel.
Is it out of synch for all subsequent channel changes or just up/down channel changes?

TiVo

中日韓
Old 08-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #237
Barry Basiliere
Retired & Loving It

OK, so here is where I am now. I have repositioned the IR emitters so that they are as far out as possible (one on the top, and one on the bottom). I have built a cover out of thick construction paper and installed it over the emitters. It seems as though I am getting a MUCH better success rate on 3 digit channel changes. I have had some failures, but not like before.

I have attached photos to show what the covers look like in case anyone wants to copy my design (no copyright )

Thanks again for all your help. Now I will wait until either D* changes their firmware or TiVo writes a fix for the protocol.

BTW - The info I got on the receivers that will lose serial capability with 7.2 are:

Hughes HTL-HD
LSS 3200A
Sony SAT HD300
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-701X.JPG (62.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-702X.JPG (66.9 KB, 21 views)
1 - 180hr Dual Tuner
1 - Premier XL (antenna only)
All Networked

Last edited by Barry Basiliere : 08-30-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Barry Basiliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:16 PM   #238
zambrini

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambrini
I'm racking my brain trying to find the code for a clearmaster 9000 cablebox.

Any ideas? Has anyone ever heard of this brand and model or am I the only person with one?

thanks.
After trying all the cable box codes it is apparent that the clearmaster 9000 is incompatible.
zambrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:44 PM   #239
darkcyber

Quote:

Well, the code that someone gave me that works with the Dish DVR 625 is 10043. So far, it has worked fine.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:51 AM   #240
VinceA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambrini
After trying all the cable box codes it is apparent that the clearmaster 9000 is incompatible.
I don't think TiVo supports aftermarket cable boxes.
VinceA is offline   Reply With Quote