TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2005, 02:40 PM   #271
gblank

Anyone have an Owners Manual for an RS-TX60

I just purchased an open box unit from Best Buy that I am going to replace my Sony SVR-2000 (130 hr) with. This will allow me to connect to my other Series 2 Tivo 80 hour unit as well as the media on my PC.

The unit I got came with everyting except the Owners Manual which I probably don't need but it would be nice to have anyway. The Toshiba website does not list this model and they referred me to a local dealer who also doesn't have it.

It would be greatley appreciated if anyone has an extra one that I can get or a link to a file that has it.!
gblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:50 PM   #272
ROB-USA

Smile User Manuals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblank
I just purchased an open box unit from Best Buy that I am going to replace my Sony SVR-2000 (130 hr) with. This will allow me to connect to my other Series 2 Tivo 80 hour unit as well as the media on my PC.

The unit I got came with everyting except the Owners Manual which I probably don't need but it would be nice to have anyway. The Toshiba website does not list this model and they referred me to a local dealer who also doesn't have it.

It would be greatley appreciated if anyone has an extra one that I can get or a link to a file that has it.!
Here: http://customersupport.tivo.com/user...corder_toshiba
:-)
ROB-USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:17 PM   #273
bastion

I too picked up an open box TX20 from best buy yesterday. After reading through this thread some last night, I hooked it up this afternoon and began playing around with different hookups and settings. I must agree, the PQ viewing live TV through the unit is very annoying. I paid $400 for this and the picture that comes through the unit, using either coax, composite, or S-video from my digital cable box, is pretty crappy in comparison to the raw signal from the cable box. It's overly dark and grany.

My other complaint is the audio output. I have a pioneer A/V reciever, and have a DVD player, PS2, Game Cube, and an Xbox all running through it with good audio results. But with the TX20 hooked up to it for DVD and Tivo playback, it just doesn't seem to have as much oomph. To get sound levels similar to the other units, I have to crank it up quite a bit more. And as far as DVD playback goes, it does not sound as clear as my panasonic unit, somewhat softer and heavy on the bass. When I tested with a copy of The Incredibles, I found that I was having trouble hearing softer speech (especially the lead characters deeper voice) when the volume was at an appropriate point for the majority of the sound level in the film. This has never been a problem with the panasonic unit (or the PS2 or Xbox). As far as DVD PQ though, it looks great.

I dunno. I might play around with it a bit more tomorrow, but if things stay the way they are now, it's going back. I just can't see paying $400 for a peice of hardware that degrades the video that much and can't put out audio quality on the same level as my $100 DVD player. Has anyone had any similar issues with the Humax or the Pioneer? I was really looking forward to burning DVD's of my fav shows and Hi8 tapes (then editing on PC with TMPGEnc DVD Author), but I don't know if I can live with the quality loss that I am seeing for the cost. Would I get better results from a cheaper Version 2 standalone Tivo unit, and then just copy files to my PC with Tivotogo for editing and burning onto DVD if needed? But at that point I'd have to pay the monthly fee for the Plus as well since Basic is not included. Gah, I'm so confused.

For claification:

Setups tried -
Video into cablebox via coax, to TV via coax from cable box, to Tivo from cable box via composite, from Tivo to TV via component.

Video into cablebox via coax, to TV via coax passthrough on Tivo, to tivo via coax from cable box, from Tivo to TV via conponent.

Video into cablebox via coax, to tv via coax from cable box, to Tivo from cablebox via Svideo, from tivo to TV via component.

In all situations, the audio was either coming from coax or RCA (composite), depending on feed to Tivo from the cable box, and was then RCA to the A/V reciever. The reciever does not have a digital audio input. REcording settings of High and Best were tested on each setup while watching "Live" TV. TV is a failry new Sony 53" RPTV and cable is Standard Digital, no HD.

Last edited by bastion : 05-31-2005 at 11:41 PM.
bastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:58 AM   #274
gblank

That's exactly what I was looking for

Thanks for the link Rob...
Old 06-01-2005, 10:00 AM   #275
gblank

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastion
I too picked up an open box TX20 from best buy yesterday. After reading through this thread some last night, I hooked it up this afternoon and began playing around with different hookups and settings. I must agree, the PQ viewing live TV through the unit is very annoying. I paid $400 for this and the picture that comes through the unit, using either coax, composite, or S-video from my digital cable box, is pretty crappy in comparison to the raw signal from the cable box. It's overly dark and grany.

My other complaint is the audio output. I have a pioneer A/V reciever, and have a DVD player, PS2, Game Cube, and an Xbox all running through it with good audio results. But with the TX20 hooked up to it for DVD and Tivo playback, it just doesn't seem to have as much oomph. To get sound levels similar to the other units, I have to crank it up quite a bit more. And as far as DVD playback goes, it does not sound as clear as my panasonic unit, somewhat softer and heavy on the bass. When I tested with a copy of The Incredibles, I found that I was having trouble hearing softer speech (especially the lead characters deeper voice) when the volume was at an appropriate point for the majority of the sound level in the film. This has never been a problem with the panasonic unit (or the PS2 or Xbox). As far as DVD PQ though, it looks great.

I dunno. I might play around with it a bit more tomorrow, but if things stay the way they are now, it's going back. I just can't see paying $400 for a peice of hardware that degrades the video that much and can't put out audio quality on the same level as my $100 DVD player. Has anyone had any similar issues with the Humax or the Pioneer? I was really looking forward to burning DVD's of my fav shows and Hi8 tapes (then editing on PC with TMPGEnc DVD Author), but I don't know if I can live with the quality loss that I am seeing for the cost. Would I get better results from a cheaper Version 2 standalone Tivo unit, and then just copy files to my PC with Tivotogo for editing and burning onto DVD if needed? But at that point I'd have to pay the monthly fee for the Plus as well since Basic is not included. Gah, I'm so confused.

For claification:

Setups tried -
Video into cablebox via coax, to TV via coax from cable box, to Tivo from cable box via composite, from Tivo to TV via component.

Video into cablebox via coax, to TV via coax passthrough on Tivo, to tivo via coax from cable box, from Tivo to TV via conponent.

Video into cablebox via coax, to tv via coax from cable box, to Tivo from cablebox via Svideo, from tivo to TV via component.

In all situations, the audio was either coming from coax or RCA (composite), depending on feed to Tivo from the cable box, and was then RCA to the A/V reciever. The reciever does not have a digital audio input. REcording settings of High and Best were tested on each setup while watching "Live" TV. TV is a failry new Sony 53" RPTV and cable is Standard Digital, no HD.
Makes me wonder how good of a deal I got. I was going to hook mine up last night but was just too tired. Guess I'll hook it up today and see what the picture looks like and how the sound is.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:56 PM   #276
Johnny Quest

I know this is probably a stupid question but did you adjust any of the Audio settings on your box within the Tivo settings menu?
Johnny Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:06 PM   #277
bastion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Quest
I know this is probably a stupid question but did you adjust any of the Audio settings on your box within the Tivo settings menu?
Yup. Set it up for 96kHz and Dolby Digital. No DTS decoding on my reciever currently, so I kept that off. Also played with other settings, but the above should have been optimal (matched what I had setup on the current DVD player).

I ended up returning it tonight. Couldn't justify the price versus how much use we'd get out of it and my dissappointment with the quality. A standard Tivo would have been cool, but once again, I don't feel like paying that monthly fee :P
bastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:46 PM   #278
shins

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and just bought a RS-TX20 less than a month ago. So far so good. Then again, I'm not a huge cable, HDTV viewer, so for my basic viewing needs (and playing the DVD with component) the quality has been rather good.

I had a question regarding CD/MP3 playback. Does anyone here know if the USB port in the back can be used to connect to an external hard drive? All of my music is stored on that, and it would be nice to be able to play my MP3 files directly from the external hard drive to my speaker system (connected to my Toshiba via USB). Thanks!
shins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:36 PM   #279
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shins
Does anyone here know if the USB port in the back can be used to connect to an external hard drive?
No.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:45 PM   #280
shins

Aww, too bad. Thanks for the information though.
shins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:37 AM   #281
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Hello, I am about to get the TX 120 and was wondering if others would post experiences of recording video sources like camcorders or home movie files from a PC onto the TiVo - thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:57 AM   #282
lordrichter

Recording from a camcorder through the front A/V jacks is pretty simple. You cannot record from cable/antenna while recording from the A/V jack, so TiVo checks a few hours ahead to see if anything is scheduled. You can abort either the camcorder recording or the scheduled recording as you desire.

Each recording is a separate TV show, which you name when you start the recording. Names cannot be changed. Recordings can be timed down to 5 minutes in duration, at which time TiVo will stop. TiVo can be told to stop early, but cannot run long.

With home movies, I have taken to inserting a leader (fade out then fade in) between "scenes". I record each scene separately into the TiVo. This requires some attention and planning as I need to know how long each scene is and what it is. I usually watch the tape noting the times before I record into TiVo. Since scenes are not multiples of 5 minutes in duration, I have to watch for the fade out and stop the TiVo.

I use a video quality according to how much material I want on the DVD, usually High is fine. Video quality is what I would expect from a VHS/8mm analog camcorder like I have.

I write the programs to DVD-R, each program is a separate chapter on the DVD, and the titles tell all.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:11 AM   #283
clrprsntdngr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondhead
Just bought a RS-TX60 from buydig today. Needless to say, it's not here yet but I went ahead and picked up a Netgear WG111 USB Wireless adaptor. Has anyone successfully used this with the Toshiba unit? Are my chances good, or should I be rushing back to get a refund?

Logan

The WG111 although listed as a supported adaptor does not work because all tivo's using wireless g must have software 7.1 loaded. Unfortunately for those of us who have dvd recorder tivo's, the 7.1 software does not work on our systems. I went through the same thing and just got lucky and found a wusb11 v2.6, so good luck theres always ebay.
clrprsntdngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:28 AM   #284
TivoDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrichter
Recording from a camcorder through the front A/V jacks is pretty simple. You cannot record from cable/antenna while recording from the A/V jack, so TiVo checks a few hours ahead to see if anything is scheduled. You can abort either the camcorder recording or the scheduled recording as you desire.

Each recording is a separate TV show, which you name when you start the recording. Names cannot be changed. Recordings can be timed down to 5 minutes in duration, at which time TiVo will stop. TiVo can be told to stop early, but cannot run long.

With home movies, I have taken to inserting a leader (fade out then fade in) between "scenes". I record each scene separately into the TiVo. This requires some attention and planning as I need to know how long each scene is and what it is. I usually watch the tape noting the times before I record into TiVo. Since scenes are not multiples of 5 minutes in duration, I have to watch for the fade out and stop the TiVo.

I use a video quality according to how much material I want on the DVD, usually High is fine. Video quality is what I would expect from a VHS/8mm analog camcorder like I have.

I write the programs to DVD-R, each program is a separate chapter on the DVD, and the titles tell all.
Good summary and thanks for the tip.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:28 PM   #285
J4yDubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
Hello, I am about to get the TX 120 and was wondering if others would post experiences of recording video sources like camcorders or home movie files from a PC onto the TiVo - thanks in advance.
I just got a TX20 and was wondering the same thing. Thanks lordrichter for answering. I was going to try it out last weekend, but found out I need a 4-pin to 4-pin 1394 cable. Mine's a 6-pin to 4-pin. Time to go shopping.

John
J4yDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:43 PM   #286
magnumis

Can the Toshiba TX20 burn DVD that have been transferred from other Tivo boxes (multi room option)?
magnumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:18 AM   #287
davevt98

Does anyone have an image of the Toshiba RS-TX20? I have already asked StanSimmons and he does not have one. Please PM me if you have one available. Thank you.
davevt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:15 PM   #288
TivoDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumis
Can the Toshiba TX20 burn DVD that have been transferred from other Tivo boxes (multi room option)?
As far as I know, no.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #289
branded

Rs-Tx20 for $89 -

go to fatwallet hot deals forum and search for tivo.

I cannot post the link as I don't have enough posts.
branded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:16 AM   #290
erichazann

Quote:
Originally Posted by branded
Rs-Tx20 for $89 -

go to fatwallet hot deals forum and search for tivo.
I got one of these units last night (the last one in NYC) for $292 and it has a $200 MIR. It's likely that we'll have to fight for the MIR since there was a 50% discount on the normal/sale price of $539.

My question is: I set it up, but I would like to transfer my other shows on my old 40HR Tivo to the new Toshiba and burn DVDs. Is this possible? I know it says you cant burn DVDs from multi-room viewing. Is what I'm trying to do even possible and is it considered multiroom viewing?

Also. I signed up for the trial Premium service on the Toshiba, and it told me it was for 45 days, but it's actually for 7 days I guess because as soon as it was done setting up, it said I only had 6 days left. Is this normal?

I have a Netgear WG111 network adapter, and was going to setup TivoToGO transfers on my older Tivo, but I have to use Virtual PC on my Mac and it's a PAIN. I just want to get those recordings off the older tivo. Is it possible to rip out the HD and just pull the raw files off by putting the HD in an enclosure?

Thank you.
erichazann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:23 PM   #291
melbajo

I have a Toshiba SD-H400, Southwestern Bell DSL, and a Dell wireless 2350 Broadband Router. I have had the TIVO dialing up via a wireless telephone jack, but the jack got struck by lightning. Is it even worth being able to hook it up to my network, or would you just get another wireless jack? If you do think it is worth it, I wanted to know the best steps to go through to be able to connect my Toshiba to my wireless network.
melbajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:27 AM   #292
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shins
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and just bought a RS-TX20 less than a month ago. So far so good. Then again, I'm not a huge cable, HDTV viewer, so for my basic viewing needs (and playing the DVD with component) the quality has been rather good.

I had a question regarding CD/MP3 playback. Does anyone here know if the USB port in the back can be used to connect to an external hard drive? All of my music is stored on that, and it would be nice to be able to play my MP3 files directly from the external hard drive to my speaker system (connected to my Toshiba via USB). Thanks!
But you could still connect that drive to the PC that you are running the TiVo desktop and stream them over your network via HMO. Or you could also consider a device like an Audiotron or other similar more current box.
LiveBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:02 AM   #293
mandm1

Hi Guys,

I have had my Rx-20 less than a month and love it ... but I had a problem last night that is strange.

I was watching the DVD "Hitch" (commercial - not copied) and tried to do a 7 second instant replay and it took me back approx. 15 minutes! I then used the fast forward/fast rewind buttons, and when I hit play, instead of jumping back just a bit for compensation, it jumped back about 15 minutes. The timeline indicator jumps all over the place when navigating with the FFW/RWD buttons. The only way I could get close to where I was at was to use the chapter up/down buttons.

I have not had any problems with other DVD's or with programs recorded onto the hard drive; only with this particular DVD. I'm going to call Toshiba to see what's up.

Has this happened to any of you when playing Hitch or any other commercial DVD's? Maybe there is some sort of new encoding or copy protection causing interference with the TiVo units search functions ...?

Another poster seems to be having similar problems with his Humax unit in this thread where I also replied: http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=245562

Mike
mandm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:09 PM   #294
mandm1

Hi Again,

I called Toshiba and the rep. said to try another copy of the disc; that it couldn't be the fault of the player if only one particular disc functioned this way. Kinda' have to agree with this logic, I suppose, but the same disc plays, fast-forwards, and fast-rewinds perfectly on the stand-alone DVD players in my house as well as my PowerMac G5.

I'd like to clarify the comments made in my previous post. The 7-second instant replay is labeled as 8 seconds by Toshiba in their manual. This is interesting, because upon trying to diagnose the problem this morning, I see that:
When pressing the instant replay button, the player always back up 8 MINUTES!
When pressing Fast-Forward - then PLAY, the unit always backs up 8 MINUTES! (Yes, BACKS up.)
When pressing Fast-Rewind - then PLAY, the unit always backs up 8 MINUTES!
When pressing the "advance to end" button, the unit always goes right to the end of the movie and then backs up 8 minutes!

The only way to get close to a desired spot in this movie is while fast-forwarding at 3rd (high) speed, for example; to then press the rewind button 3 times to counter-act the fast-forward instead of simply pressing play. (Thanks, rkester)

I tried a restart of the TiVo unit and that did not help. Toggling off the "30-second skip" code did not help. No other DVD besides "Hitch" that I have tried so far has ANY problems (even those I have made a "backup copy" of.) I will try another copy of the movie from Blockbuster, but I really doubt that will help.

Perhaps others with this unit can try a commercial copy of "Hitch" and see what your unit does. I would be very curious to see what happens.

BTW, my TiVo software is at version 5.4.2-01-2-565 and my DVD firmware is DVD-RW DVR-108RZ 1.15

Mike
mandm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:32 PM   #295
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandm1
Perhaps others with this unit can try a commercial copy of "Hitch" and see what your unit does. I would be very curious to see what happens.
Ugh - I just mailed Hitch back to netflix this morning. If I had seen this thread before, I would have tested this.

Other commercial DVDs play great in the two Toshibas I have (TX20 and SDH400)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:06 PM   #296
rrman

I have the RS-TX20 (Region 1). If I burn a DVD with my Region 1 RS-TX20, will it play on other DVDs that belong to other regions? Or will it only work on Region 1 DVD players?
rrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:41 PM   #297
Johnny Quest

Region coding is not an essential part of writing or burning a dvd. The only way to determine the answer to your question is to try it out. I am unaware of whether there is an info screen that would indicate that Region Coding is active in your tivo burner, you can however check this info on a dvd writer in a computer.

Hope this helps.
Johnny Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:16 AM   #298
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichazann
I got one of these units last night (the last one in NYC) for $292 and it has a $200 MIR. It's likely that we'll have to fight for the MIR since there was a 50% discount on the normal/sale price of $539.

My question is: I set it up, but I would like to transfer my other shows on my old 40HR Tivo to the new Toshiba and burn DVDs. Is this possible? I know it says you cant burn DVDs from multi-room viewing. Is what I'm trying to do even possible and is it considered multiroom viewing?

Also. I signed up for the trial Premium service on the Toshiba, and it told me it was for 45 days, but it's actually for 7 days I guess because as soon as it was done setting up, it said I only had 6 days left. Is this normal?

I have a Netgear WG111 network adapter, and was going to setup TivoToGO transfers on my older Tivo, but I have to use Virtual PC on my Mac and it's a PAIN. I just want to get those recordings off the older tivo. Is it possible to rip out the HD and just pull the raw files off by putting the HD in an enclosure?

Thank you.
the answer is unfortunately that you can not use normal TiVo methods to transfer(via MRV) the shows to the RX-20 and burn them to DVD. You can however, do the MRV transfer and watch the shows off the RX-20 on TV if you are not worried about archiving them.

if you want to archive the shows thne you do have a problem with the Mac. There are no announced plans to release TiVoToGo software for the Mac.
You can get the shows to the Mac by using the HTTPS trick.
open a web browser and
use the URL of HTTPS://tivo.ip (substitute the IP address of your TiVo)
userid is tivo
password is your MAK (something like 7648999999 )

that will get you a list of shows with download links
this method does not require TiVodesktop installed, so you can at least get the .tivo files onto your Mac quickly.

after that there is no way to play .tivo files on the Mac - you will have to convert them. Either with a PC tha thas desktop and your MAK configured on it or perhaps in virtualPC with TiVoDesktop installed though I do not own Macs so have not tried. either way do a search on the web for eTiVo the rest of what you need is there
Old 06-22-2005, 08:54 AM   #299
Chmeeee

I guess I'll be joining the club now as well. I picked up the TX20 at Best Buy last night for $318 w/tax - $200 rebate. I currently have an 80-hour Series 2 which I will be selling once this is all set up and I'm sure everything works like it should. I'll also be selling my DVD player, since I don't need it anymore, so once the rebates come back it looks like this will come out just about free.

I have to say that I love integrating the DVD, even just for playing them, never mind burning them. First of all, it reduces my cable maze a bit. Second of all, I don't have to switch over my receiver and TV whenever I watch a movie. Third, I have one fewer remote. And finally, the best part of all: I can watch DVD's with the TiVo interface!
Chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:28 PM   #300
CCONKLIN1

Just bought one of these and hope to have a few questions answered.
1. can you record from a dvd to the hard drive?
2. can the hard drive be upgraded?
thanks for your help. i really did not want to slog through 10 pages and the search was not working for me.
Best,
Chris
CCONKLIN1 is offline   Reply With Quote