TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2005, 02:52 PM   #241
Iano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
Quick question....i have had the TX20 for about three months and am very pleased with the unit. I record almost exclusively in either Best Quality or High Quality.....the only time that i tried to go below high quality- to medium (which sounds like it wouldnt be too bad)- for a program so that i could put 4 hours onto the disk...the pic was terrible!!!! Big time!

not a big deal...because i don't plan on doing that again! but i would appreciate any feedback on pic quality at medium quality....i assume that this is not really a toshiba issue....but a general question for DVD records...it would be nice to fit 4 hours of decent material onto a single disk! Or maybe 6? I doubt that there is anything however that can be done? I would only think of doing it...for example with a sporting event

Thanks

Rob
Medium quality is good for business shows, sometimes it is hard to tell the difference. Sports and anything else with a lot of movement really should be done at best quality.

You are pretty much stuck with using medium quality if you want 4 hours (basic for 6 hours).

You can only get just over 2 hours of a good quality movie on a regular store bought DVD (using single layer disks like DVD-R). I believe there are better compression techniques that retain quality (like DiVx?) but they require a lot more CPU power and the disks might not play on regular DVD players. Anyone with more expertise know more about this?

Ian.
Iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #242
Iano

TX60 Quality Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
Yes, i have read a number of posts on this issue....put me in the category of people that do not- thankfully have any type of problem....on the TX20
Just tried out a Series-2 straight TiVo box, using the same composite input to my TV as the TX60. The output is identiical to the TX60.

The quality of the picture is good. Mostly it is just darker than the TV. Although fleshtones appear less 'rosy' than the TV, not sure if this is just because they are darker or if there is a minor color difference.

Do these differences sound like a simple difference in the TV and TiVo tuners or a difference in the digitization/compression process?

Ian.
Iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:30 PM   #243
mdbadger

Issues receiving cable signal

I have had my tx20 for 4 months and just ran into an issue. The cable signal is no longer being received by the tx20. I have verified that the cable signal is good from the wall. TX20 can play recorded content to tv. Checked cables from cable tv box to tx20. My assumption is that I have a TX20 hardware problem. Has anyone seen this issue.
mdbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:49 PM   #244
MID1991

Thanks will do
MID1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:21 AM   #245
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbadger
I have had my tx20 for 4 months and just ran into an issue. The cable signal is no longer being received by the tx20. I have verified that the cable signal is good from the wall. TX20 can play recorded content to tv. Checked cables from cable tv box to tx20. My assumption is that I have a TX20 hardware problem. Has anyone seen this issue.
By now you have probably determined what is wrong, or decided it is broken.

What input are you using from cable into the TX-20? You have everything plugged into the right place in the back of the TX-20, right? You are using the same input that you told TiVo when you did guided setup? You have rebooted the TX-20, and as a last resort, rerun guided setup?

If all that, and it still does not work, call Toshiba.

Let us know how this comes out.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:35 AM   #246
DJ_JonnyV

Hey, all, first time poster here on Tivo Community forum. Discovered this through AVSForum where I'm a regular. Last weekend I bought a RS-TX20, and am pretty juiced about hooking it up. However, wanted to make sure that I had all the right accessories first. I would like to hook it into my wireless network, but could not find the "approved" LInksys USB wireless adapter yesterday at a bricks & mortar. So, I picked up a LInksys WUSB54GS Wireless G Adapter with speedbooster. Has anyone else here had success with this adapter and their Toshiba? I'm still trying to catch up on all 13 pages of this thread, but only made it though 4 so far. Thanks!
DJ_JonnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #247
Oldiesfan

Question New Owner RS-TX60 QUESTION

I Am Under The Impression That I Should Be Able To Record An "on Demand" Or Ppv Movie Or Event To The Hd On The Tx60. However, When I Tried To Record A Movie Off My Cablevision Cable Feed All I Recorded Was "buy" Prompt Even Though I Did Not Hit Record Until The Movie Actually Started.

Am I Doing Something Wrong? Any Suggestions Will Be Appreciated.
Oldiesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #248
ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiesfan
I Am Under The Impression That I Should Be Able To Record An "on Demand" Or Ppv Movie Or Event To The Hd On The Tx60. However, When I Tried To Record A Movie Off My Cablevision Cable Feed All I Recorded Was "buy" Prompt Even Though I Did Not Hit Record Until The Movie Actually Started.

Am I Doing Something Wrong? Any Suggestions Will Be Appreciated.

Yes i don't think you should have a problem. I have COMCAST. I simply just use the TIVO remote to turn to channel 1; order the show with the cable remote; and then hit record. The only problem i have run into is that if there is a half hour of some other show in the "buffer" when you manually hit the record button...your going to get all that as part of your recording....so you want to make sure that you switch channels with the TIVO remote to channel 1 before you start recording (thus removing up to 30 minutes of buffer).

What is the TIVO show is recording after you hit Buy? Is it recording any other feed?
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:38 PM   #249
hishami

Current Tivo version on Toshiba units

Hi,

I just ordered an RS-TX20 and am awaiting delivery.
I'd like to know what Tivo software version number they currently support.
In particular, I want to know if they support a recent enough version that
enables the remote programming feature.

Generally, how many version releases are these units behind?

Thank you very much,

Hisham
hishami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #250
ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hishami
Hi,

I just ordered an RS-TX20 and am awaiting delivery.
I'd like to know what Tivo software version number they currently support.
In particular, I want to know if they support a recent enough version that
enables the remote programming feature.

Generally, how many version releases are these units behind?

Thank you very much,

Hisham
My RS-TX20 is about three months old and has the following version:

5.42.01-2-565

If by remote programing you mean being able to program the unit remotely from an internet access computer you should be all set with the TX20....my understanding is that the only limitation is that it wll not yet perform TIVOTOGO functions (i,e, transferring files from the hard drive to a remote computer for burning)...which is no big issue given that you can burn them onto a DVD-R disk without a computer...and if you want to edit a program on the computer just upload the disk...

Hope this helps
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:29 PM   #251
hishami

Very helpful. Thank you for the quick response.

Hisham
Old 05-03-2005, 09:32 PM   #252
hishami

By the way, I also wondered what Tivo service number code these units have so I can know which wireless network adapters work with it.

Thanks,

Hisham
Old 05-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #253
trikr

Compression Updates?

Hi everyone,

Is the compression quality something that can be updated and improved in the future with a tivo downloaded update or is that a fixed hardware issue? It seems like when i shrink and backup store bought dvd's on my pc the compression is SO much better even though i'm compressing it way more than the tivo does. For instance I can squeeze 8 sitcom episodes from a store bought cd onto a dvd-r and still have it look pretty good. It looks like garbage when tivo does that. It does take a lot longer on the pc though.
trikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:36 PM   #254
raiderTIVO

Burning 2 hrs of Content onto DVD's

I found that if I burn exactly two hours of programs onto a DVD, the DVD doesn't play on all devices and that DVD's with less than 2 hours of programs will play on the same devices. I don't know if the players needs some type of buffer that the unused capacity provides, but that's all I can think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MID1991
Hi Folks

I got a TX20 for Xmas and I'm having trouble with DVD's I burn playing on other DVD devices. When I try to play burned DVD on my Polaroid PVD 700 I get only one channel of stereo sound. When I try to play it on an Aiwa unit it doesn't recognize the disk "No Disk". The burned disk does play fine on the TX 20. I've been using -R 8X but from what I've seen here maybe I'll try to find some 4X. Any suggestions or comments welcome.

Thanks

MID

raiderTIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #255
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

Might be Closed Captioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
I recall reading something- somewhere on this point...but can't find it. Here is the situation. When i burn a disc on my Toshiba it plays perfectly on the Tv....however when i take that same disc and play it on my computer (17" flat panel screeN)...i notice some of what i will term noise at the very top edge of the screen...a thin band of white interference...it is present with certain recorded dvds...others appear however to play fine....any sense of (1) what is causing this and (2) whether it can be corrected either prior to burning the disks or alternatively changing some monitor setting?

Thanks
What you are describing sounds a lot like encoded Closed Captioning. It looks like little white "ants" marching across the very tip top of the screen (it is located on line #21 of the TV frame). I am a video editor and I see this all the time. In fact sometimes I have to be careful not to disturb it during the edit or the CC won't work when the program airs. You might try activating the captioning on your TV to see if that is in fact what you are seeing on your computer.

It's harmless and will almost always be seen on any network show (and commericals). Cable channels and local programming won't always be captioned.
Welshdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:46 AM   #256
mtdew

Capacity / Quality

I am thinking about buying one of the Toshiba models and was reading through the forums. It sounds like picture quality when transfering to DVD varies depending on the quality selected. I was wondering what the capacity of the TX20 and/or TX60 is in the highest quality mode? Can someone provide a breakdown of the capacity in the different modes? (best, medium, etc?)

TIA
mtdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:45 AM   #257
lordrichter

For the TX20

Best - 32 hrs (1 hr on DVD)
High - 46 hrs (2 hrs on DVD)
Med - 94 hrs (4 hrs on DVD)
Basic - 141 hrs (6 hrs on DVD)

Also, you might want to change your avatar before the forum Avatar Police track you down... that is, unless you are a Sith M&M in real life.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:08 PM   #258
amt007

Smile How can I use c-band satellite with cable?

Hi

I have a TX60, recently bought. I successfully set up direct cable (coaxial) into TX60, without cable box. Now, I can record from VCR/camcorder using one of the two sets of AV inputs (one in the front and one in the back). But recording must be done right away and there's no option for timer recording.

I can't find a way to connect my c-band international signal into TX60 to take advantage of features such as "pause live tv" or timer recording. I know they don't provide support for c-band, in terms of programming guide and I accept that. However, I thought they would at least provide an option similar to
"Line In L1 or L2" from my VCR to accept the auxilliary audiovideo input.

Has anyone figured out how to "add" a "Line IN" channel that will correspond to the AV composite input form the front or back of TX60? When I called Tivo support, they said they couldn't tell me, although there might be a way. They asked me to post it on this forum.

Any adivice will be greatly appreciated.

amt
amt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:22 PM   #259
ball6135

No audio from unit when in "Live TV"

Just picked up my first "Tivo" unit (Toshiba described in this thread)

I am not able to get any audio in Live TV mode? I am able to get audio when playing a DVD?

If I connect the audio cables from the cable box (Motorola / GD) directly, I get audio?

I am using component cables between the Toshiba and the TV for Video, and the R/L cables for sound? (not the digital out..)

Anyone have any thoughts on what it might be? Set up issues?

I have tried resetting the unit. Tried disconnecting the AC power for 30 minutes and then back on... all to no avail?

It seems as though I am missing something between the audio in and the audio out, but I am not sure what it is!?

Thanks in advance for any help you may have!!!
ball6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #260
mjoshi

Hello All,

Thrilled to be here and thrilled to see TiVo (my first TiVo) and it is TX20. Still not completed reading all things in manual but will catch up soon. Nee to know how can I watch / play whatever is on my computer / laptop on TV using TX20. Also it stated initially that I've 45 days of Tivo plus trial service but now it shows me only 15days of service what is wrong ?
mjoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:14 PM   #261
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ball6135
Just picked up my first "Tivo" unit (Toshiba described in this thread)

I am not able to get any audio in Live TV mode? I am able to get audio when playing a DVD?

If I connect the audio cables from the cable box (Motorola / GD) directly, I get audio?

I am using component cables between the Toshiba and the TV for Video, and the R/L cables for sound? (not the digital out..)

Anyone have any thoughts on what it might be? Set up issues?

I have tried resetting the unit. Tried disconnecting the AC power for 30 minutes and then back on... all to no avail?

It seems as though I am missing something between the audio in and the audio out, but I am not sure what it is!?

Thanks in advance for any help you may have!!!

Try a different cabling scheme (if possible) and see if that makes any difference. Check your cables to make sure that everything is in the right spot on the back of the TiVo.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:10 PM   #262
bary

rs-tx60.... Image

I am looking at buying a rs-tx60 that is "dead" are there images out there for the harddrive if I have to start from ground zero?
bary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:41 PM   #263
Oldiesfan

PPV Record Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
Yes i don't think you should have a problem. I have COMCAST. I simply just use the TIVO remote to turn to channel 1; order the show with the cable remote; and then hit record. The only problem i have run into is that if there is a half hour of some other show in the "buffer" when you manually hit the record button...your going to get all that as part of your recording....so you want to make sure that you switch channels with the TIVO remote to channel 1 before you start recording (thus removing up to 30 minutes of buffer).

What is the TIVO show is recording after you hit Buy? Is it recording any other feed?
Ber: Thanks for the info. I subsequently contacted TIVO tech. support, Toshiba tech support and my cable provider (Cablevision) All indicated that there should be no problem and that the Cablevision does not filter or otherwise block a recording effort to the HD.

However, when I moved to the PPV channel, "bought" the movie, waited for it to begin, and then initiated the manual record action, all I recorded was the "Buy" screen that prompts you to order the movie. I did not consider the recorded buffer but since I didn't begin the record sequence until that screen was gone and the movie started I don't know how it was captured.
Oldiesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:33 PM   #264
KenF

DVD Failed Saves

Quote:
Originally Posted by koji71
OK, sounds like you are having the same problem as I am. I thought it was because of 8x disks, it is not.....I burned at least 25 8x disks without fail...... For a while I was able to reuse the DVD-R disk because the error was occuring before any info was written. I unpluged the unit for about 20 minutes and the next save attempt almost made it to the end before it failed. I even tried a head cleaner (no luck). EMailing Toshiba was been worthless (see other posts). Let us know if you find anything out.
I'd like to add my name to the list. I have a new unit and did a save to verify that the thing worked. That was the last one that completed. Everthing that I've tried to save since will get the error at the end of the process. I thought that it might be the brand of disks (Samsung) or maybe what I was trying to save is copyprotected (South Park)
KenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:52 AM   #265
ball6135

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrichter
Try a different cabling scheme (if possible) and see if that makes any difference. Check your cables to make sure that everything is in the right spot on the back of the TiVo.
I went through every cabling option that I had.... no luck... Returned it and it was exchanged without a problem... same set up and we are in business!!!!!
ball6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:35 AM   #266
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ball6135
I went through every cabling option that I had.... no luck... Returned it and it was exchanged without a problem... same set up and we are in business!!!!!
Cool, glad you got it working, even though you had to get a new unit.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:30 PM   #267
StanLandman

Remote Control Question

I have just updated from a SD-H 400 to a RS-TX60. I used a one for all URC 6131 to control the SD-H 400. Can anyone advise which code[s] on that remote work the RS-TX 60? Also whether it is a dvd or pvr code. Thanks in advance for any help.
Stan
StanLandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 12:08 AM   #268
soinke71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmortis_10
I have a problem with my Toshiba....I put in a regular DVD today and as soon as the drive closed "live" TV frozen....the LCD display said the DVD was Loading...however after about 5 minutes I went to eject the DVD...and nothing happened...I then tried to power down the unit...but it wouldn't. I eventually had to pull the plug.

Now the problems begin... It won't boot. It does the standard start up but after sitting on the "only a few more minutes screen" for about 3 minutes, it starts the process over in an endless loop.

Please Help. I saw another thread by someone else with the exact same problem however, no replies.

I had the same proble, this forum saved me mucho time and frustration. Called Tivo, they said to Call Toshiba. Toshiba = closed. Tried the hold the eject button trick and it WORKED. The DVD came out, and it booted up just fine (after sitting in a loop for several hours before DVD eject button trick).

I just held down the open / close button from the second I plugged it in, until the tray popped open (finally) ~ 2 to 3 minutes from plug in.

Thanks to ALL!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello, I Just had the exact same problem with a scratched disc I received from NetFlix; it got stucked inside my Toshiba RS-TX20. Thanks to this thread I didn't waste any time fixing the problem. Just hold down the open/close button for a couple of minutes from the moment the Tivo starts setting up, this forces the unit to open the tray. This trick WORKS.
Thanks a lot.
soinke71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:10 AM   #269
sondhead

Netgear WG111

Just bought a RS-TX60 from buydig today. Needless to say, it's not here yet but I went ahead and picked up a Netgear WG111 USB Wireless adaptor. Has anyone successfully used this with the Toshiba unit? Are my chances good, or should I be rushing back to get a refund?

The Tivo website's list of approved wireless units really sucks. With their given information it is almost impossible to find most of the items they have listed as full green. What have you guys been using successfully.. described in a way so that I, too, can find online information and purchase? Thanks in advance and sorry if my questions are re-hash or stupid.

Logan
sondhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:41 AM   #270
ashu
User title defunct

Hmm - it is my understanding that ...
a. DVD Recorder units aren't being upgrades to the newer Operating System (7.1) yet
b. 7.x is the first version that supports G networking.

This just means that (if the adapter you purchased is NOW supported on other TiVos that already have 7.x) you will lack connectivity until the new system is pushed down to DV Recorder units.

I don't have G adapters myself, so I'd recommend you check the other threads around here to find out whether the other units with version 7.1 support that one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote