TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #511
wgeclipse

Forgot to mention that I am in Texas, and have only had past success with the New York Metro numbers.
wgeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:47 PM   #512
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeclipse
SuperDave Do you mind if I ask how you have your dialing options set? I have 2 HDVR2s, and an R10. I just received the firmware today, and have not had success in dialing in.

Dial-In Number 212-920-3005
Dial Prefix 2122773895
Call Waiting ,#034
Tone/Pulse Tone
Phone Avail Detect Off
Dial Tone Detection On
At first I only had success with test calls, but last night's daily call actually went through. Why? I don't know, but here are my settings:

Dial in Number: 1-856-479-0001 (The same old local one I used with Verizon.)
Dial Prefix: ,#034
Call waiting prefix: *70
Tone
Off
Off
Old 05-05-2005, 07:45 AM   #513
keefer37

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dave
See my post above, number 503 and go to that link. You will probably have to register, then PM the guy who is doing the Beta test. He then calls you and you install the firmware. Took 3 minutes.
Thanks. I PM'ed him. Hopefully I'll hear something from them and it will work for my DirecTiVos. My gf is getting tired of me trying all these settings and not getting anywhere.

TiVo Series 2 DT: Stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
keefer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:04 AM   #514
charles_d

FWIW,

My GXCEBOT finally died and I replaced it with a new R10 this on Staurday. When I called to activate (through the retention department -- got the new R10 for free thriugh them), I made sure to ask about Vonage support. The CSR informeed me that VOIP is not supported, however, a minute later, he said that there was a new message on his screen that they now support VOIP and that I should call if I have any troble with guilded setup.

Guided setup completed without a hitch. Both calls (to the 800 number to get the list of available numbers and to my local number for the actual call) completed on the first try.

Has something changed on the DTV end?
charles_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #515
etsolow
Don't Try

*sigh* ... Those guys on the Vonage forum aren't getting back to me. Is this beta firmware a file that they are distributing and then you update your own router, or are they doing the upgrade for people? If it's the former, I'd love to get my hands on that file...!

E
etsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #516
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsolow
*sigh* ... Those guys on the Vonage forum aren't getting back to me. Is this beta firmware a file that they are distributing and then you update your own router, or are they doing the upgrade for people? If it's the former, I'd love to get my hands on that file...!

E
It is a file they email to you, I have it. Unfortunately I don't remember the password to use it, Andrew from Vonage walked me through the install real fast and I didn't have time to write down the password to make it work. They will be doing again soon, just keep reading the board.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:01 PM   #517
kbohip

Here's a strange thing I've noticed with my two R-10's and Voange. My upstairs R-10 did the initial setup without even having to use the New York numbers. It just worked with no problems like it was a POTS line. My downstairs R-10 barely worked at all through the initial setup though. I even tried slowing the modem and using the New York numbers. No dice. It would always say call failed. I then remembered I was using the 25' phone cord that came with the R-10 for the downstairs while upstairs I was using a line I had installed earlier, not the one from the box.

I got another 4 WIRE 25' phone cord and plugged it into the downstairs R-10. Now it connects with no problem at all using the New York numbers. The cord that comes with the R-10's is a very cheap 2 wire cord and at least in my case was not allowing the daily calls. If all else fails try a bigger phone cord!
Old 05-10-2005, 05:21 PM   #518
gusdorf

I have tried most of the methods described so far but here is my results.

I can get the dial tone, negotiate a connection but no data transfer. I am using a high grade Penrll Alliance V.32 modem which allows me to set the baud rate manually. I have it set up for Hayes 2-wire dial up mode. I have tried from 300 up to 19,000 but still no data transfer.

I have contacted weaknees and they have a modem cable combination they say works. See the email response below: Has anyone tried their setup???

"Our customers have had very good luck with our modem, yes. We don't have word from DTV on broadband for the DTV units, but we hope it will come.

Thank you,
weaKnees
"
gusdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #519
etsolow
Don't Try

Well, I got the updated firmware from Vonage and unfortunately it does not seem to have fixed anything. My HDVR2 and HR10-250 still won't even complete a test call, let alone an actual download. I haven't tried any of the zillions of dial prefixes yet... anyone have any thoughts on which might be appropriate?
etsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:43 AM   #520
austerville

I have the same problem - can't dial out with Vonage and was wondering weather connecting my Tivo to my pc, via the serial port, and dialing out using PPP is considered to be "calling in" for purposes of initiating the upgrade? I don't have the cable yet, otherwise I would just try it. Thanks
austerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:58 AM   #521
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, as long as it connects to the TiVo server, that counts.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #522
rpippen

Question

RedGrey,

In your solution for SRS6000 you said to change the dial prefix. When I go to change it it gives me a warning digital PBX systems will damage the units modem.
Is it ok to go ahead and change it. Also I have a Philips DSR708, if it is ok to
go ahead and chage the prfix should this solution work on my unit? Thank you for
your input.

Last edited by rpippen : 05-13-2005 at 08:58 PM.
rpippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:40 PM   #523
scottt
Macintosh Guru

As an FYI, I just got a DSR 708R/17 yesterday to replace a T-60 that is having the "Call DTV" issue. I hooked it up to my Vonage line (figured what the heck) and it dialed out perfectly. No DSL filter or such required (like my HDVR2 did). It called in, got local numbers for NY, and also made the NY call.

Phew!
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:38 PM   #524
super dave
Upgrade Willy

http://www.vonage-forum.com/sutra32343.html#32343

Sorry for the delay in re-visiting this thread. After the initial feedback we've gotten (mostly from you guys) the NEW firmware is now available to everyone. Simply call ANYONE at Vonage, and just ask them to upgrade your firmware (its all done with a click of a button)

NOTE -- Try calling from a NON Vonage phone or place a call while your not on the phone, because it will not download the firmware while your on the phone. Also keep in mind after it sends the request it can take 3-7 minutes for it to effectively download and write the firmware successfully. DO NOT turn off or remove power from the device at this point.

All should work a lot better.

enigma91884
Vonage
Representative

I have copied and pasted enigma's post to here for anyone that doesn't visit the Vonage Forum.

Last edited by super dave : 05-14-2005 at 07:45 AM.
super dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:24 AM   #525
jimest

I hooked up Vonage yesterday and my DirecTivo series 1 would not connect, I read the above about the new firmware and immediately called Vonage.

After talking to 2 heavily accented CSR I got transferred to someone familiar with "TiVo"

He told me that Vonage had a "Beta" firmware that they were testing and asked if I would like to take part in the test.

I said sure, he said I should have the new firmware by Monday or Tuesday (it's now 8:20AM Saturday.

I will wait until Monday and try my DirecTivo call again.
jimest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:43 AM   #526
super dave
Upgrade Willy

As an update my SAT-T60 has made another successful call. The 2 out of 6 calls that failed happened during the day, all successful calls were placed between 12-7AM. When I had a POTS line the daytime calls had a high rate of failure also.

So this firmware has helped my machine. The tech has told me they are still tweaking it, but at least it is a start in the right direction. DTV hasn't made any effort to right this problem, that I know of.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:12 AM   #527
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't see what DTV could do about it, to be honest. The problem is most likely in the Conexant modem chip.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:10 AM   #528
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel
I don't see what DTV could do about it, to be honest. The problem is most likely in the Conexant modem chip.
Checking my Vonage account I still see 20-24 calls a day to DTV. It is posted on the other thread, DTV doesn't care to fix it.

And if DTV wanted to they could come up with a way for us to use Broadband to call in, after all a majority of the people having issues are VOIP users.

Last edited by super dave : 05-14-2005 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Remembered another thing DTV could do.
super dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 10:49 AM   #529
keefer37

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dave
http://www.vonage-forum.com/sutra32343.html#32343

Sorry for the delay in re-visiting this thread. After the initial feedback we've gotten (mostly from you guys) the NEW firmware is now available to everyone. Simply call ANYONE at Vonage, and just ask them to upgrade your firmware (its all done with a click of a button)
All should work a lot better.

enigma91884
Vonage
Representative

I have copied and pasted enigma's post to here for anyone that doesn't visit the Vonage Forum.
Unfortunately, it's only for those with the Linksys box. I've got a Motorola.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:14 PM   #530
austerville

I also have a Motorolla. Are there any plans to schedule a firmware upgrade for these units?
austerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:42 PM   #531
keefer37

When I called in to get the upgrade I asked that, austerville but was told it was still in testing. I asked if there was any list to be a beta tester but he was not aware of one. I am going to email though and ask the same thing.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:03 AM   #532
rtlinux

Smile tivo vonage success

OK, I have been looking around in GOD only knows how many forums for a solution to my Tivo/Vonage issue. so DTV connects fine (I know because I have not had issues with scheduling messages, etc) but tivo is the problem or is it. I use a Linksys Pap2 as I did not need another router (d-Link) and a 3-com AP for wireless [which blows anthong linksys or d-link has, I know as I used to have linksys wireless router].

Tonight I finally got my issue resolved!! after 45 days of late night fights with phone cords, dsl filters, internet searches and hundreds of failed test connections with any number of configs.

I almost went the external modem route but why??? I don't want a modem in my entertainment center. Besides Tivo does NOT need to connect everyday.

So here goes how I did it...

Connected my system to my laptop via homemade serial cable and set my dial prefix to ,#211 (tells my t-60 to use 115k over a serial port). Successfully made 10 DAILY calls with no errors!

Here is the pinout for the serial cable I made....
Using a db9 female end and a std 1/8" stereo mini plug make the wiring connection as follows. DB9-pin2 = mini plug tip, DB9-pin3 = mini plug center section, DB9-pin5 = mini plug base.

see attached doc(S) for detail on configuring windows
Attached Images
File Type: png tivo-serial-connection.PNG (26.2 KB, 61 views)
Attached Files
File Type: doc PPP Networking.doc (50.0 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by rtlinux : 05-19-2005 at 12:20 AM. Reason: shortened and added attachments
rtlinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:10 AM   #533
jimest

The firmware upgrade did not work for me.

I have the Linksys RT31P2 and I got the firmware upgrade but after rebooting my system it still will not connect. (DtiVo) So the problem is still there.

Jim
jimest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:54 AM   #534
d0choliday

What worked for me

Thanks to everyone on this thread for offering solutions. In the end my DirecTivo connected with some fairly simple solutions and help from Vonage. Here's what worked and my specs.

Linksys RT31P2 phone router
Samsung Tivo SIR-S4080R
Comcast broadband internet with a Motorola modem and a Dell wireless router

1. Called Vonage to ask them for the firmware upgrade. They gave me the upgrade and also lowered my packet size(?) This didn't really help at first, but I have to believe it is now.
2. I read that people were using ADSL filters so I put a single filter directly in the back of the Tivo box and then plugged my phone jack into that. I agree that this makes no sense since I have broadband cable, but it did work. Perhaps it forces the connection to slow down some?
3. I used an old modem phone cord roughly 5 feet long as opposed to the one that came with my DirecTivo.
4. I used NO dialing prefixes. I turned off the check for dial status though and used area code 212 which was a suggestion from the Vonage customer care person. He said since that NY area code is closer to the Vonage center, where all your calls really go, you have a higher chance. I ended up picking the first dial in number offered, Manhattan North I believe.

Right now I'm getting about 1 in 5 calls succeeding. You may have to just try repeatedly. I get lots of connection failed messages.

From what I've read I will no longer have to connect the DirecTivo to a phone line unless I want to order PPV (which I don't need since I can order off the internet) or if there is a major software update. Please let me know if this sounds misinformed or wrong though.

I read an article about 3 months ago where Directv is in the works at developing their own PVR so they can abondon Tivo. I have to think this is the reason why they are not addressing all our problems and enabling USB. In any case, this was all a major pain in the a$$.
d0choliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:46 AM   #535
slweil
SusanLW

Need help with Vonage/TivoDVR phone connection

Please help! I have a LinkSYS RT31P2, an Airport Extreme Base Station, making my Macs wireless, a PC in the LAN outlet of the Base Station, and a Scientific Altanta cable modem. I've switched all the phones to one base phone that goes directly into the Linksys phone router, and other wireless extensions of that phone, so I could get around the "wireless jack" thing. I tried them and the phones had so much static, it was annoying, and I was using PhonexBroadband EasyJacks. I've tried everything, including disconnecting my phones from the router, and just having the Tivo unit connect directly to the router on a looooooooong telephone cord, and I still can not successfully connect. I tried the ",#019" but it didn't work. Any other suggestions? Any would be of help, I keep getting messages that I need to call in.
slweil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:47 PM   #536
sdesort

I have a DirecTivo Series I, running software 3.1. I have a Linksys RT31P2, Firmware 1.28.00, Voice version 3.1.3(LI). Here is how I got it to work:

Motorola Cable modem -->RT31P2-->Linksys BEFW11 router/Access Point

RT31P2 is connected to household wiring, Tivo connected to convenient wall jack with DSL filter in place between Tivo and wall jack

Tivo set to use NYC number (Manhattan south I believe)

Tivo set to dialing prefix ',#096'

Tivo set to call waiting prefix '*99,*70,'

Vonage Bandwidth saver set to 90Kbps (max quality)

Using these settings, I have made every test call successfully, and 1 forced daily call. I will see what happens tonight during the automatic daily call.

This config may have already been successfully used by others here (and used by others unsuccessfully, I am sure), but I thought I would post it in case it helps.

Good luck!

--
Scot
sdesort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #537
screamngiball

Thumbs down trying to get tivo to make a call sd-dvr40

I can't get communication going here. I have DLS (VoIP) for my phone and internet service. I tried ,#019 and it didn't work. I used a regular phone line and went from the back of my tivo to line one on my ata box. I would love to get some suggestions. Thanks. my tivo box is a sd-dvr40
screamngiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:08 AM   #538
scottt
Macintosh Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottt
As an FYI, I just got a DSR 708R/17 yesterday to replace a T-60 that is having the "Call DTV" issue. I hooked it up to my Vonage line (figured what the heck) and it dialed out perfectly. No DSL filter or such required (like my HDVR2 did). It called in, got local numbers for NY, and also made the NY call.

Phew!
Sigh, spoke too soon. In the process of getting my house ready for Verizon FIOS, Verizon cut my Cox cable line (1 day before we left on vacation). Cox ran a brand new line, but now that I'm back, neither TiVo will complete it's TiVo call. I want 6.2!!!!!!

Guess it was everyone dialing into get 6.2. I'm working just fine now. Got 6.2 too!

Last edited by scottt : 06-20-2005 at 01:56 PM.
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:21 PM   #539
Foxintampa

Fios?

Any fios users want to help me start a new forum dedicated to Fios, at fios dot nets?
Foxintampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:59 AM   #540
BPatti

Big Grin

After 6 months of research I finally have the solution to my DirectTiVo over Vonage problem.

Install a 1-line DSL filter from Home Depot ($5.97) or 2-line DSL filter from Radio Shack ($16.99)
Set Dial Prefix: ,#104
Set Call Waiting Prefix: *99

I have 3 DirectTivo's:
Directv HR10-250
Hughes GXCEBOT
Sony SAT-60

Each one connected FIRST TIME and EVERY TIME with getting a new number, making a test call and making a daily call. I also tested a Hughes HDVR2 but it did not work.

If you have problems with your TiVo dialing out over Vonage, do yourself a favor and try this. IT WORKS!!!
BPatti is offline   Reply With Quote