TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-18-2005, 03:36 PM   #151
Maruzo

ok, i've read this entire thread and i'm getting really more puzzled about the exact commands i need for my upgrades. I have a samsung directv dvr (SIR-S4080R) with a wd 80gb original drive with a newly upgraded 6.2 software via directv's sattelite.

I am looking to install a newer hitachi 250gb as a single drive upgrade.

Can somebody kindly point me to the correct steps to commence this upgrade?

thanks very much!

Mars
Old 04-18-2005, 04:37 PM   #152
Maruzo

Two questions:

1. If i successfully upgraded my samsung's original 80gb with the 6.2 software unto a larger 250gb drive, can i then use the same 80 gb to do another upgrade to another 250gb drive, and then install that 2nd 250gb drive into a philips dvr-708?

I've read somewhere that the motherboards and chipsets on these series 2 directv tivos are all the same regardless of who made these units. Whether samsung or philips all made the same units with the exact same spec.

So can i do the swap successfully? Has anyone tried it?

2. i want to retrieve a maxtor 200gb drive that was installed on my philips dvr-708 and reuse it as a regular winxp boot drive. I'm afraid that only i plug in the maxtor into a regular pc, it'll be locked up and be seen as an 8mb drive.

Is there any steps that i can take to return this maxtor back to it's original state so i can reformat it in ntfs correctly?

Thanks Very Much!

Mars
Old 04-23-2005, 01:10 AM   #153
Maruzo

Bump!
Old 04-24-2005, 07:18 PM   #154
tsrbff

Please forgive me if my questions are not applicable to this thread, but I have a couple simple (I think) questions that pertain to the LBA48 stuff and to PTVupgrade.

I would like clarification on the following, (understanding that I am not talking about trying to keep previous recordings or use/re-use existing hard drive):

If I buy the InstantCake CD that PTVupgrade sells, and use it with a brand-new drive (or driveS), will it automatically enable the use of greater drive capacities than 137GB if I used say a 160GB drive/drives? On either of the TiVos listed below?

Is there a limit to how large of a drive it would/could enable (200GB or greater maybe)?

Are these InstantCake CDs also machine-specific, like one CD for my Philips S1 HDR-212 and a different one for my sister's S2 TiVo TCD 540040?

Does having this CD substitute for keeping a backup image of the software? I can just go buy a hard drive and re-use the InstantCake?

Any and all comments from those who know will be greatly appreciated, and please be as specific as you can in regards to the different units I mentioned above. And my profound apologies if this had no business in this thread. Thanks in advance to all who will reply, and God Bless!

Tracy Faulkner
tsrbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:39 AM   #155
BobCamp1

Quote:
If I buy the InstantCake CD that PTVupgrade sells, and use it with a brand-new drive (or driveS), will it automatically enable the use of greater drive capacities than 137GB if I used say a 160GB drive/drives? On either of the TiVos listed below?
Yep.

Quote:
Is there a limit to how large of a drive it would/could enable (200GB or greater maybe)?
There are other threads talking about that. I've heard of 400GB. Note that the more space you add the slower your Tivo's menus will operate. After updating my HDR212 to 137GB (I didn't use the Instantcake CD for this upgrade), it takes up to 7 seconds for the "now playing" menu to appear when I hit the Tivo button on the remote. Recording and playback are unaffected.

The Series 2 stand-alone units now support HDs > 137GB with the 7.0 (or later) software. You can find personalized directions for creating a backup image and restoring it (or transferring everything off the old HD) on http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/ . But if you are uncomfortable with Linux or have problems with MFSTools, an InstantCake CD is a good backup plan if things go bad.

Quote:
Are these InstantCake CDs also machine-specific, like one CD for my Philips S1 HDR-212 and a different one for my sister's S2 TiVo TCD 540040?
Yes, they are machine specific. You may be able to get away with using an HDR112 CD with an HDR 212, since the only real difference between them is the HD size. But in general the CDs are very specific. You defintely cannot use a Series 1 CD on a Series 2 Tivo or vice versa, or use a stand-alone CD with a DirecTivo.

Quote:
Does having this CD substitute for keeping a backup image of the software? I can just go buy a hard drive and re-use the InstantCake?
Yes, you don't need a backup image.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:37 AM   #156
ronsch

Lou,

I took my shot at using your expansion tools yesterday. I started with a pristine 40gb Quantum Fireball from a DSR6000 and used the PTVUpgrade cd to create a backup and then to do a full copy to my new 250gb WD drive. These seemed to work fine. The long copy took about six hours.

This morning I tried to finish up with copykern. Everything seemed to go well until it tried to replace the kernel. It made the backup of the existing kernel on /mnt but then failed to copy in the new kernel as it said the file couldn't be found. This seems to match other posts where the cdrom is not properly mounted, although copykern actually ran on my system whereas other posts indicate it wouldn't even run. I only have a single dvd configured as secondary slave. I will try the solution published in this thread when I get home.

I also agree with some other posters that the documentation provided on the iso makes no mention of the prom flash requirement. Granted there are multiple how-tos elsewhere but this is your how-to on using copykern. It should at least reference specific documentation that describes the other requirements for copykern to work and keep on working. I intend to use the full Jenkins hack procedure on the new drive but am wondering if that should be done before using your process or if it will still work after?

Ok. Mounted cdrom; copykern ran successfully; restored a copy of my image to a spare drive and also installed Jenkins flash uility; used that drive to flash the prom; installed new big drive and voila; 235 hour DirecTiVo. I'll save the rest of the hacks for this weekend.

Last edited by ronsch : 05-02-2005 at 06:34 PM.
ronsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:59 AM   #157
Alessan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1
I had this same exact thing happen to me yesterday. For now, I have given up on the LBA48 kernel and am using 137GB of a 160GB drive.

Plug the hard drive back into your PC, boot with the LBA48 ISO, then hit <shift>-<page up> to scroll up the boot messages. I'll bet your hard drive is only 137 GB in size!

You need a PC that supports LBA48 when you do the upgrade. Sometimes you have to set the BIOS's IDE detection to "auto" or "none" to get it to work. Or you need to upgrade your BIOS, or use a new (less than one year old) PC. This should be added to the instructions at the beginning of this thread, as this is a frequent stumbling point.

It is also possible that the copykern command did not work. It always reports it was successful, even when it didn't do anything. I will ask again if there is a way to independently verify copykern was successful, as no one has answered me yet.

Finally, I haven't had time to verify this, but I swore the hard drive said 160 GB before I put it in the Tivo. I remember using IBM's drive fitness test as well as Spinrite, and they both reported 160 GB as the drive size. After I pulled the drive from the Tivo, they now both report only 137 GB! Did the hard drive sense the slow, outdated, UDMA-33 connection of Tivo and automatically cap itself at 137 GB? I haven't heard of anything like this before, but I can't think of a different explanantion.

I am using a Samsung Spinpoint SP hard drive. I didn't have time to rerun the Samsung utilities, but I remember you can set the HD to report any size you want. I remember it was set to 160GB before the upgrade. I wonder if it's set to 137 GB now?

For now, my 20GB to 137 GB upgrade seems enormous, so I'm not worried about the missing 23 GB. I'll let you know in two weeks if my second attempt at upgrading was successful.
how about the new 7.1 upgrade, did that upgrade the kernal so we can go over the 137gb?
Alessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #158
BobCamp1

The 7.1 software contains the kernel to go over 137GB. Since I have a series 1 Tivo, I'll never get that kernel.

My upgrade has worked using the original kernel and just 137GB of the hard drive.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:39 PM   #159
Alessan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1
The 7.1 software contains the kernel to go over 137GB. Since I have a series 1 Tivo, I'll never get that kernel.

My upgrade has worked using the original kernel and just 137GB of the hard drive.
kool, I have a 160 I want to put in. I'll see how it goes on Friday
Alessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:03 PM   #160
lafos

I have two Toshiba SD-H400 systems. Several months ago, I upgraded one of them with a 160 GB drive using V3.01 of the PTVupgrade CD. It worked like a champ. TiVo SW v5.2 then.

Now I'm trying to upgrade the other to 300GB (my wife's), using v4.01 CD. I want to save the shows, so I'm using the command

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdd | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdc

The backup starts, and then stops after copying some of the disk. The percentage keeps inching up; after the 6th try I'm up to 6.8%.

The computer is the same as the earlier upgrade, a P233MMX with

hda = win98 FAT32
hdb = cdrom
hdc = new TiVo drive
hdd = original TiVo drive

The Linux kernel properly recognizes all the drives and their sizes. I've tried with the bios drive detect for the secondary IDE turned to auto or off with no effect.

Any ideas on how I can get this to complete the backup?
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:07 PM   #161
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

It may be the kernel on our CD. For some reason, in some PC's it can hang when attempting to make a backup using mfstools. We have a newer kernel that seems to address the problem, but I've not had time to incorporate it into a new CD for release. Might want to use the older CD or the more generic mfstools CD instead, as an alternative for now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:22 PM   #162
lafos

Thanks for the quick reply.

Actually, I had tried the 3.01 CD first. It would crash with and error "premature end to backup data". That's why I tried the newer CD. I am now testing with IDE prefetch turned off.

The system starts the copy, and everything seems fine, but at some point it stops. The only really new variable is the size of the destination. The first time I used a 160GB drive, and am now trying a 300MB drive. The bigger drive also has an 8MB buffer, in case that could have something to do with it.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:52 PM   #163
DanGilbertTX

I am having a problem using the PTVUpgrade v4.01 CD for doing a 2 -> 1 (14Gb+80Gb to 250Gb) upgrade. I boot the CD and start using the command:

vmlinuz hda=bswap hdb=bswap hdc=bswap

This gets my A & B drives mapped correctly. I then go to run the mfstools using the following command:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb|mfsrestore -s 255 -xzpi - /dev/hdc

I get the following output:

mfs_load_volume_header: mfs_read_data: Success
mfsbackup: Backup failed to startup. Make sure you specified the right devices, and that the drives are not locked.

Ok, now here is the crazy part. I can load up a standard MFSTools 2.0 CD and load the exact same way and run that same command and it starts and works correctly. Problem with using the MFSTools 2.0 CD is that it doesn't have LBA48 support so I get stuck with a 137Gb disk. So, I am looking for suggestions of how I can get the LBA48 disk to work or even expand the afterwards. I don't have another drive to use for a backup so that isn't really an option. I also am not willing to lose my recorded shows.

So, what do I need to do to get it to work? Thanks in advance.
DanGilbertTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #164
DanGilbertTX

Just checked again to make sure there weren't any differences in what I was doing using the MFSTools 2.0 disk and the PTVUpgrade v4.01 disk. I am using exactly the same hardware setup and the exact same command-line to start the CD. So, why is it bombing out with the PTVUpgrade disk and not even scanning the source drive?
Old 05-25-2005, 12:37 AM   #165
DanGilbertTX

Figured out the issue. The PTVUpgrade v4.x CD doesn't auto unlock drives like both MFSTools v2.0 CD and Steve Jenkins CD. This would be nice to be added to the startup script on the PTVUpgrade CD. My fault for not seeing it in the first place, but it would be nice if the CD just did the unlocking automatically when mounting the drives during startup.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:20 PM   #166
CraigHB

Restore failed: Backup target not large enough...

Here are some specs first;

Samsung SIR-4040R DirecTV with one WD 160GB drive.
An identical WD 160GB drive on-hand as a spare
PTV LBA48 MFSTools disk
DirecTiVo version 6.2

When using the following to do a disk copy from the primary disk to the spare disk with expansion;

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdb

I'm getting the error;

"Restore failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself"

Now, if I do a restore with expansion from a minimal backup file, the spare disk works fine in the TiVo and I get the expected increase from 120 to 140 hours.

If i do a disk copy without expansion (less the "-x" option), I get a 120 hour disk that works fine in the TiVo.

So, I'm kind of stuck on how I can expand my volume while keeping all my recorded shows. Is there something I can do to resolve the error? Is there some way I can work around it?

Thanks,

- Craig

Charter Digital Cable
CraigHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:45 PM   #167
JoeShabado

Just upgraded my Series 2 140060 unit for the second time (previously was two 120G drives) to two 250G drives (638hrs+ record time). Used this image to do the upgrade. Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work and support information.
JoeShabado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:56 PM   #168
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShabado
Just upgraded my Series 2 140060 unit for the second time (previously was two 120G drives) to two 250G drives (638hrs+ record time). Used this image to do the upgrade. Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work and support information.
You were using 7.1 of the TiVo software to do this, correct?

Old 05-30-2005, 10:17 PM   #169
JoeShabado

Yes, I was upgraded to 7.1 before I started this upgrade.
JoeShabado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:46 AM   #170
squiddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHB
Here are some specs first;

Samsung SIR-4040R DirecTV with one WD 160GB drive.
An identical WD 160GB drive on-hand as a spare
PTV LBA48 MFSTools disk
DirecTiVo version 6.2

When using the following to do a disk copy from the primary disk to the spare disk with expansion;

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdb

I'm getting the error;

"Restore failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself"

Now, if I do a restore with expansion from a minimal backup file, the spare disk works fine in the TiVo and I get the expected increase from 120 to 140 hours.

If i do a disk copy without expansion (less the "-x" option), I get a 120 hour disk that works fine in the TiVo.

So, I'm kind of stuck on how I can expand my volume while keeping all my recorded shows. Is there something I can do to resolve the error? Is there some way I can work around it?

Thanks,

- Craig
I am stuck in exactly the same position.

I am upgrading from an 80GB drive to a 160. I have the PTV LBA48 boot disk. My system is a DirecTV Tivo with 6.2 recently downloaded.

I get "Restore failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself."

If I remove the -x and leave it as -zpi, it completes but doesn't expand.

This drive was upgraded/expanded once from 40 to 78, and mfsbackup notes that and says "This MFS volue may be expanded 3 more times".
squiddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:58 AM   #171
CraigHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddog
I am stuck in exactly the same position.

I am upgrading from an 80GB drive to a 160. I have the PTV LBA48 boot disk. My system is a DirecTV Tivo with 6.2 recently downloaded.

I get "Restore failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself."

If I remove the -x and leave it as -zpi, it completes but doesn't expand.

This drive was upgraded/expanded once from 40 to 78, and mfsbackup notes that and says "This MFS volue may be expanded 3 more times".
Yea, it's a tough one. I cross-posted and got a response in another thread that bascially states there's no way to do it. MFS Tools uses up all the available partitions when it expands a single disk system. So, it can't be expanded again. You have to start with the standard backup that doesn't save recorded shows. Your standard backup is decoupled from any expansion and represents the original disk size of your system.

Basically, there is no way to save recorded shows and expand a single disk system that has already been expanded. It's a bummer, but hey, at least we *can* upgrade our TiVos' recording capacity so it's better than no tools at all.

If you find some way to do it, let me know. I haven't upgraded yet and would still like to keep my recorded shows.

- Craig

Charter Digital Cable
Old 06-18-2005, 02:00 PM   #172
webbglider

Question Need clarification on link to downloads

As a new "upgrader" I appreciate the info but the link you referenced shows three possible downloads but how would a new guy know whether to download the LBA48 with byteswap or without byteswap - what is the significance. Probably obvious but I don't see it. Thanks.
webbglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #173
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbglider
As a new "upgrader" I appreciate the info but the link you referenced shows three possible downloads but how would a new guy know whether to download the LBA48 with byteswap or without byteswap - what is the significance. Probably obvious but I don't see it. Thanks.
You can use the latest, but it doesn't matter; just know that there is a difference between the latest version and the previous one; and depending upon which guide you are using, the version of the CD your are using and the type of TiVo you are upgrading, you may need to take that into account.

Old 06-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #174
CraigHB

Actually, a TiVo upgrade disk is, for the most part, just a Linux boot CD that accomodates MFS Tools, a set of programs designed to handle TiVo's specialized disk partitions. The author of MFS Tools could have wrote the programs to run on any operating system (like plain old DOS), but chose to use Linux for several important reasons.

An upgrade CD will boot the Linux "kernel" when it starts up, but first presents a "boot prompt" that allows various things to be specified including boot options and kernel parameters. Byte swapping is one of those kernel prameters and can be enabled by specifying hdx=bswap at the boot prompt (where the x in hdx is a, b, c or d depending on the IDE channel/port the disk is connected to). Unless you have an older TiVo, you probably don't need to worry about it. Some older TiVo's won't work if disk upgrades are done without byteswap on. Also, PTV's LBA48 upgrade CD does accept a "boot option" that turns on byte swapping, but is disabled by default.

The designers of the Linux operating system incorporated the ability to handle disks over 137GB into the 2.4 Linux kernel. This is something that affects all Linux systems, not just TiVo upgrade CD's (and TiVo's themselves run on Linux too). Older upgrade disks made with the the 2.2 kernel have the limitation. Newer ones like PTV's LBA48 disk use the 2.4 kernel that supports LBA48, allowing disks much larger. However, MFS Tools does not handle really big disks by default (over 274GB) and needs the "-r 4" option added to the restore command.

The disk size your TiVo can accomodate is also dependent on the software version it's running. Older TiVo's have the 137GB limitation as well so expanding a disk larger than that with an LBA48 upgrade CD may give you problems when you try to run it in a non-LBA48 TiVo. In that case, it would be best to use a non-LBA48 upgrade CD. If the disk is smaller than 137GB, you can safely use either upgrade CD. Some TiVo's have only recently gained the ability to support disks larger than 137GB so you need to know if your TiVo is LBA48 capable before upgrading it with a >137GB disk and an LBA48 upgrade CD.

Ok, hope that answers your questions,

- Craig

Charter Digital Cable

Last edited by CraigHB : 06-18-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:39 PM   #175
sc0tty8
Really?

So this PTVupgrade will worth with larger drives? So if I wanted to use a pair of 300 gig drives, there would be no problem using these drives? No problems like not getting the full capacity? I was reading another thread, it sounded like it was a lot of work to get them to work.
sc0tty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:59 PM   #176
CraigHB

It depends on your TiVo. Most of the newer TiVo's have either come with or, through normal channels, have received the latest software which accomodates disks >137GB (LBA48 capable). I don't know the specific software versions for various TiVo's, but you can check and see if you have the latest software through your TiVo's system information menu. I'm sure that information is posted in this forum somewhere. Just do a search.

If your TiVo is LBA48 capable, upgrading with two 300GB drives isn't any more work than upgrading with two <137GB drives. The only difference is for drives >274GB, you need to add the "-r 4" option (less quotes) to the mfsrestore and/or mfsadd commands.

If your TiVo is not LBA48 capable, then you have to do some tricky stuff to make it so. I would say that's where you get into "too much work". In that case, it would probably be best to upgrade with two <137GB drives.

For an LBA48 capable system, 600GB of disk space is going to result in a huge amount of capacity. Unless you plan to maintain a video library, a capacity that large would probably not be very practical. Also, when capacity gets really big, it can slow down the TiVo quite a bit. For the cost of two 300GB drives, you could buy a single 400GB drive and have some money left over. A single disk is easier to deal with and cheaper. Personally, I run a single 250GB disk.

- Craig

Charter Digital Cable

Last edited by CraigHB : 06-20-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:07 AM   #177
gdavisloop1

Backup too large to restore?

So the message, "Backup alone is too large for target drive," means you *can't* upgrade a single large HD (already upgraded once), to an even larger HD, and keep your programs?

What if you upgrade to a new HD without keeping your programs?
Can you still put the old HD back in the TiVo when you want to access programs on the old HD? And then back to the new HD when you want to use that one?

Also, what about the 274GB limit of MFSRESTORE vs. a 300GB HD?
Will MFSRESTORE automatically set it up at 274GB, and thus preserve the ability to "fix" it with just 127MB of swap space? Or is there some way to manually limit the 300GB drive to 274 GB?

thanks!
--Gary
gdavisloop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:40 PM   #178
CraigHB

Quote:
So the message, "Backup alone is too large for target drive," means you *can't* upgrade a single large HD (already upgraded once), to an even larger HD, and keep your programs?
Yes. MFS tools adds partitions to do an expansion. When a single drive system is expanded once, all the partitions are used up. It can't be expanded again. Dual drive systems can expand several times since there are twice as many partitions available. The only way to re-expand a single drive system is to use a standard backup that does not save recorded shows. This is because a standard backup decouples those additional partitions.

Quote:
What if you upgrade to a new HD without keeping your programs?
Can you still put the old HD back in the TiVo when you want to access programs on the old HD? And then back to the new HD when you want to use that one?
You could do that. Personally, I would just watch what you have on the old drive and then switch over to the new one. The other thing you could do is network two TiVo's. Put the bigger drive in the new one and use MRV to watch what has been recorded on the old one. Another thing you could do is "mfsadd" the new drive and run both drives, but then you would be stuck with a dual drive system and that may be something you want to avoid.

Quote:
Also, what about the 274GB limit of MFSRESTORE vs. a 300GB HD?
Will MFSRESTORE automatically set it up at 274GB, and thus preserve the ability to "fix" it with just 127MB of swap space? Or is there some way to manually limit the 300GB drive to 274 GB?
Mfsrestore doesn't have a 274 GB limit. There are a couple posts in the underground that talk about performance problems with drives over 274 GB and that using the -r 4 option resolves those issues.

Best of luck,

- Craig

Charter Digital Cable
Old 07-23-2005, 03:00 AM   #179
series2finally

replacing Series 1 with Series 2

OK, I give. Reading all this crap is a huge time sink. I'll buy InstantCake. But the InstantCake blurbs don't say if it's 6.2. If I'm going to all this trouble, of course I want 6.2.

The other big unanswered InstantCake question is how do I get the settings AND content copied over from my Series 1 DirecTiVo to my new Series 2? Are there clear instructions somewhere?

My S1 has a 40GB, my S2 has an 80GB with 4.01b on it, and I have a new 200GB drive ready to go. I'm comfortable with linux.
series2finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:53 AM   #180
dmbong
TiVo while Racing...

If I upgrade an HDVR2 (it says it's Series2 in messages/setup) that's running software version 6.2 with a single 160GB drive, how many hours should I end up with?

I used the PTVupgrade CD along with instructions based on the Interactive Guide and I ended up with "variable, up to 140 hours".

Is that good? Is it using all 160GB or only 137GB?

Cheers!

-Brian
HDVR2 - 160GB/140hrs
dmbong is offline   Reply With Quote