TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2005, 08:42 PM   #211
bjl

RS-TX 60 Current Software/Broadband

I have the Rs-Tx60 using the WUSB11 v2.8 wireless nic and sw 5.4.1xxx. I am connected via the phone only for the first time then it has been broadband ever since. One issue that I did run across is I have wep security on my network. I had the network set to key4 and the toshiba or tivo (whichever) will only recognize key1. I had to change all my units on the net to key1 and every thing is ducky.
bjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:16 AM   #212
Exubesq

Talk about frustration! I have been trying to get this wireless thing going - I bought the wrong adapter the first time - My Bad - so I called toshiba and they told me to get the Linksys WUSB v. 2.6 or 2.8. I went to Staples and guess what - the boxes do NOT tell you what version the adapter is. You have to open up all the packaging and slide out the velcro thing - which I did not know. So of course I buy one and it still does not work. I ended up calliing Linksys and reaming them out for not marking the version on the outside. They are "letting" me send the unit back to them (at my expense) and will send me the right version - because for some reason Staples was not all that keen on having me rummage through their stock on the off chance that they have the other versions mixed in.
Between that and my Tivo's mistaken belief that I need to see Body by Jake at every opportunity, I am wondering about the overall value here.
Exubesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #213
ber

removing commercials, editing

Hi I have a RS TX 20 and happy with the machine. The one drawback is editing...ie, being able to take out commericials and irrelevant info prior to burning. I just got a new computer- literally yesterday- Pentium 4- lots of gig; DVD RW drive, etc. I assume that i can do a two step dance....to edit disks....(1) burn with the toshiba to a DVD-R disc a show with commercials....then 2 take that disk and load it onto the coputer to edit.....the computer came with it appears to be two dvd related programs....intervideo window dvd creator....and sonic record now! I assume that the versions included are basis versions....does anyone know if either of the two programs will allow me to edit what is a presumably tivo formated disc burned with the RS TX 20?? If so, very brief guidance would be appreciated...

If not, can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive software program to edit disks created on a RS TX 20....as i said...nothing sofphisticated....just generally want to remove commercials, and a few other things from DVD-R's given the limitations of the toshiba

Thanks

ROB
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #214
Johnny Quest

Help on disk edit

I use Tmpgenc DVD Author to remove commercials and do minor editing, its a breeze to use. You can download a trial version. The full version is $70 but it is well worth it.
Johnny Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:34 AM   #215
CpUltravox

I just made the move to the 20.

I was an old Phillips 14 hour guy (yipes!), back when you had to order the TiVo from the infomercial. I upgraded and played with the system a lot, and somebody's getting a heck of a recorder with all sorts of installed toys as a gift from me, but I needed to move on!

Anyway - day one went hitch free, hopefully day two will be the same!
CpUltravox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:38 AM   #216
kmcorbett

new rs-tx20 comparable to my series 2

Posting just to provide another data point from a satisfied customer...

For 3+ years I've had an AT&T branded Series 2 TiVo DVR - the 40 hour model. I have Comcast digital cable (DCT2000?) Motorola/GI, Sony A/V receiver.

I wanted more disk space and DVD recording so I bought an RS-TX20. The installation and setup were easy; prior experience does help. Programming my old peanut remote to control 2 TiVos was easy. (New remote doesn't have the DVR 1-2 switch - grumble.)

Overall I'm very happy with the new unit. I haven't used the DVD functions but all the familiar TiVo features work flawlessly.

PQ is OK but not always as "good" as on the Series 2. Black and grey areas often appear uniformly dark; this varies somewhat by channel.

One odd note: on my old TiVo Now Playing is red; on the new unit Now Playing is green. I assume this is a change related to software version and they preserve backward compatibility on units that ran prior releases. It's actually a benefit as I can easily tell which unit I'm looking at! Weird accidental UI feature...

/kmc
kmcorbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:34 PM   #217
shannon94188

Just jumping in - we got the RS-TX60 on Monday and so far, so good. (It's been interesting to read all the comments in this thread!)

Got the wireless up and running, and last night we even burned some old stuff from VHS to Tivo to DVD. Nice!

I noticed no "power off" button for the unit on the remote. I know I can go through the Tivo menu to put the machine into Standby, but is there an easier way?

Thanks!
-Shannon
shannon94188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:51 PM   #218
rrman

The TiVo is designed not to be turned off. Hence, no power button.
rrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:21 PM   #219
DomozitoLK

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpUltravox
I was an old Phillips 14 hour guy (yipes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcorbett
PQ is OK but not always as "good" as on the Series 2. Black and grey areas often appear uniformly dark; this varies somewhat by channel.

I have a question about the "dark" areas many have referred to compared to the Series-1 units. I have been using my upgraded Series-1 Philips (14-hr originally, now 128-hr) for about 3-years or so now and love it.

After reading all 11-pages of posts, I think this Toshiba would be a good unit for me with DVD-archiving, USB networking, and other nice upgrades...but the picture quality is the only thing holding me back.

I'd love to hear feedback from Series-1 owners who've upgraded to the Toshiba to put my mind at ease on the picture quality and the dark areas.

Thanks!
DomozitoLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:46 PM   #220
DomozitoLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGtoys
I bought the D-Link DWL-122 wireless USB adapter (it's on the TiVo compatibility list and the rest of my equipment is D-Link).
I've seen reference to this list, but haven't run across it yet. I've checked on Toshiba's website and some other places. Can someone point me to the right link?

Would this be it?
customersupport[dot]tivo[dot]com/knowbase/root/public/tv2006.htm

Thanks!

Last edited by DomozitoLK : 04-07-2005 at 07:56 PM.
DomozitoLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:35 AM   #221
ber

Question

I recall reading something- somewhere on this point...but can't find it. Here is the situation. When i burn a disc on my Toshiba it plays perfectly on the Tv....however when i take that same disc and play it on my computer (17" flat panel screeN)...i notice some of what i will term noise at the very top edge of the screen...a thin band of white interference...it is present with certain recorded dvds...others appear however to play fine....any sense of (1) what is causing this and (2) whether it can be corrected either prior to burning the disks or alternatively changing some monitor setting?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2005, 09:55 AM   #222
TivoDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomozitoLK
I have a question about the "dark" areas many have referred to compared to the Series-1 units. I have been using my upgraded Series-1 Philips (14-hr originally, now 128-hr) for about 3-years or so now and love it.

After reading all 11-pages of posts, I think this Toshiba would be a good unit for me with DVD-archiving, USB networking, and other nice upgrades...but the picture quality is the only thing holding me back.

I'd love to hear feedback from Series-1 owners who've upgraded to the Toshiba to put my mind at ease on the picture quality and the dark areas.

Thanks!
I hate to break it to you, but to me the PQ of the RX-60 is a bit worse than my 4-y-o Series I. I have a 43" Samsung HDTV so of course, the artifacts are enhanced. I now play my DVDs through the RX-60 (through component out) and love it, although it replaced an S-video out DVD player.

But for archiving our old home movies to DVD is worth it, as well as archiving shows to DVD.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #223
TivoDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
I recall reading something- somewhere on this point...but can't find it. Here is the situation. When i burn a disc on my Toshiba it plays perfectly on the Tv....however when i take that same disc and play it on my computer (17" flat panel screeN)...i notice some of what i will term noise at the very top edge of the screen...a thin band of white interference...it is present with certain recorded dvds...others appear however to play fine....any sense of (1) what is causing this and (2) whether it can be corrected either prior to burning the disks or alternatively changing some monitor setting?

Thanks
I've noticed this as well on some DVDs that I have burned. I'm still trying to figure out what causes this artifact. I don't see a pattern yet, although it could be the difference in the individual DVDs {shrug}.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:05 PM   #224
twtckt

did you ever get this resolved?
twtckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:27 PM   #225
ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoDaddy
I've noticed this as well on some DVDs that I have burned. I'm still trying to figure out what causes this artifact. I don't see a pattern yet, although it could be the difference in the individual DVDs {shrug}.
Thanks for the comments...at least i am not alone on the interference....the only pattern i have noticed is that it is never present if i tape higher level channels on digital cable...ie. movies on HBO....but is always present when i burn TV shows on the networks
Old 04-11-2005, 08:24 AM   #226
iml84myd8s

Playing back a movie w/ the DD format

I've been reading everyone's posts. Sorry if I missed the answer to this, but I cannot seem to find the answer to my questions. So here are my questions...

I see the RS-TX20 has a Digital Audio Output (Optical Toslink). I have two questions regarding this.

I know a Movie DVD with Dolby Digital format can be played with the RS-TX20 DVD player so an audio receiver can produce the DD surround sound effects.

1. If a movie is recorded from a Satellite or Cable box with the Tivo feature, can this movie be replayed from the RS-TX20 hard drive with the DD surround sound effect?
2. Can this movie be written from the hard drive to a DVD using the DVD Recorder so that the Dolby Digital format can be replayed from this DVD later while reproducing the DD surround sound effect?

Thanks in advance.
iml84myd8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:07 AM   #227
Exubesq

Good news for a change

Just thought I would share a success story. After 1 defective unit and three WUSB adapter missteps, my RX20 is humming along, network connected and life is good.
I am exhausted but happy.
Exubesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:41 PM   #228
Iano

Any ideas or resolution to 'crushed black' problem?

Hi, I got my first TiVo, a TX60. I have had it a week now. Everything is looking good except for the dark picture others have mentioned.

My setup is:

Cable RF -> TV RF
Cable RF -> TX60 -> Composite/RCA AV --> TV

Switching between the two the difference is very clear. I tried replacing the TX60 in the above setup with a VCR and I cannot detect any difference in the pictures. Just to be sure it is not a signal problem I tried: VCR -> S-video -> TX60 -> Composite/RCA AV --> TV , playing a tape on the VCR gives me the same darkness to the picture.

I am not sure if DVDs are also darkened as making a direct comparison is harder. If store bought DVDs are darkened this would suggest the output is Japanese NTSC instead of American NTSC.

If there is no fix for this I would like to return mine, which could be difficult since it is not clear if it is 'defective'.

Any insights into the problem or if there is likely to be a fix?

Ian.
Iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 12:38 PM   #229
PriorSayin

Transfer from Toshiba to PC Question

I wish to send the programs stored on my rs-tx20 to my PC. I do have it networked to play tunes & show pics - works great - but I do not know how to get the recordings from the Toshiba tivo unit into Tivo desktop 2.0 on my PC.
The idea is to be able to take advantage of the dual layer DVD burner I have on my PC, thereby eliminating the need for multi disks for larger programs. Am I being realistic with this request? Will tivotogo solve this when (if) it becomes available to this group of users?
Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a repeated question.

PriorSayin

Last edited by PriorSayin : 04-17-2005 at 12:47 PM.
PriorSayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:21 PM   #230
MID1991

Compatibility

Hi Folks

I got a TX20 for Xmas and I'm having trouble with DVD's I burn playing on other DVD devices. When I try to play burned DVD on my Polaroid PVD 700 I get only one channel of stereo sound. When I try to play it on an Aiwa unit it doesn't recognize the disk "No Disk". The burned disk does play fine on the TX 20. I've been using -R 8X but from what I've seen here maybe I'll try to find some 4X. Any suggestions or comments welcome.

Thanks

MID
MID1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #231
ROB-USA

Realistic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriorSayin
I wish to send the programs stored on my rs-tx20 to my PC. I do have it networked to play tunes & show pics - works great - but I do not know how to get the recordings from the Toshiba tivo unit into Tivo desktop 2.0 on my PC.
The idea is to be able to take advantage of the dual layer DVD burner I have on my PC, thereby eliminating the need for multi disks for larger programs. Am I being realistic with this request? Will tivotogo solve this when (if) it becomes available to this group of users?
Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a repeated question.

PriorSayin
Realistic yes; now you just have to be patient. (As a fellow RS-TX20 owner, I share your pain)
ROB-USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #232
ROB-USA

Good Disks to Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by MID1991
Hi Folks

I got a TX20 for Xmas and I'm having trouble with DVD's I burn playing on other DVD devices. When I try to play burned DVD on my Polaroid PVD 700 I get only one channel of stereo sound. When I try to play it on an Aiwa unit it doesn't recognize the disk "No Disk". The burned disk does play fine on the TX 20. I've been using -R 8X but from what I've seen here maybe I'll try to find some 4X. Any suggestions or comments welcome.

Thanks

MID
I use Verbatum 4x DV-Rs and have NEVER made a coaster.

My source is: http://www.supermediastore.com

I but mine in "cake-boxes" od 100 per.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:56 PM   #233
MID1991

Rob

But do they play on other DVD's?

Thanks

MID
Old 04-19-2005, 06:23 AM   #234
lordrichter

I use Memorex 8x DVD-R discs and they play on every DVD player I own, and ones that I do not own.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:06 AM   #235
MID1991

lordrichter

Thanks. Good to know

Rgds

MID
Old 04-19-2005, 04:28 PM   #236
Iano

Update on TX60

I asked Toshiba directly what the black level was set to on the TX60. They said 7.5 IRE.

Frankly now I am even more confused. Some people seem to be seeing a problem others not. Humax Tivo/DVD recorders also seem to have the same problem with a dark picture, but in another thread the output was measured at 0 IRE on the Humax.

Ian
Iano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #237
ROB-USA

Yes...

Quote:
Rob

But do they play on other DVD's?

Thanks

MID
Yes they do..on a least 5 different "stand alone" players that I've tried.

Pansonic, Pioneer, RCA, Sony and JVC.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:59 PM   #238
ber

Quote:
Hi Folks

Thanks

MID
MID Not sure if i can help on this one. But here is my two cents. As you know the TX20 must be used with DVD-R disks. I have not had any compatibility problems in my sony dvd player nor my desktop computer. I did have an "old" laptop which would not read the disks. My guess- and hope- is that every new DVD player on the market will be able to read DVD-R and DVD+R discs...and frankly all other formats....old DVD players however may not be compatible,..that my be the case paricularly with your Aiwa unit. My suggestion is to do a google search with the terms DVD-R compatibility....there are a bunch of sites which will tell you whether there are any issues in reading the disks

RObert
Old 04-20-2005, 04:03 PM   #239
ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iano
I asked Toshiba directly what the black level was set to on the TX60. They said 7.5 IRE.

Frankly now I am even more confused. Some people seem to be seeing a problem others not. Humax Tivo/DVD recorders also seem to have the same problem with a dark picture, but in another thread the output was measured at 0 IRE on the Humax.

Ian
Yes, i have read a number of posts on this issue....put me in the category of people that do not- thankfully have any type of problem....on the TX20
Old 04-20-2005, 04:09 PM   #240
ber

Quick question....i have had the TX20 for about three months and am very pleased with the unit. I record almost exclusively in either Best Quality or High Quality.....the only time that i tried to go below high quality- to medium (which sounds like it wouldnt be too bad)- for a program so that i could put 4 hours onto the disk...the pic was terrible!!!! Big time!

not a big deal...because i don't plan on doing that again! but i would appreciate any feedback on pic quality at medium quality....i assume that this is not really a toshiba issue....but a general question for DVD records...it would be nice to fit 4 hours of decent material onto a single disk! Or maybe 6? I doubt that there is anything however that can be done? I would only think of doing it...for example with a sporting event

Thanks

Rob