TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #271
ashu
User title defunct

It SHOULD function as just a switch - use only the 4 downlink ports! Don't connect your WG810/820 (or whatever bridge you have) to the Uplink/WAN port!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:44 AM   #272
wombat2010

Blinking, trying to get my mind around this new information . . .

Connect the G820 to one of the four downlink ports? Okay . . . trying to understand (with my feeble understanding of networking) how and why that works. If the wireless bridge (G820) is connected to a downlink port of the wired router, how does the TiVo (through a wired router) 1) connect to my wireless network or even 2) connect to the internet at all? I guess I thought the downlink ports on a router were OUT only and that the WAN port was IN (kind of like video in and video out on a television or a TiVo), and that the only way for the wireless bridge to pass around the connection from the wireless router was to be connected to the wired router's WAN port.

If you can explain how/why this works, I would be interested. But if you cannot or don't have time to try to dumb it down so that I can understand, I will be quite happy with it simply working, even though I don't understand it! Thank you, Ashu! I'll give it a shot tonight and post whether that solves it.
wombat2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:29 AM   #273
ashu
User title defunct

(Network tech terms may be seriously butchered here, folks so help clean it up; here's my understanding...) A router (consumer grade) is a 4 (or more) port switch With Features (like a WAN port and internal local network management, NATing, routing etc). Since you don't want to use any of those (in fact, they'd be detrimental!) - you have to use only the 4 'switch' ports (Downlink is the layman's or simplistic term to explain that 'devices' connect there, and your cable/DSL modem connects to the 'uplink'.

Some people have multiple routers on a network (heck, the internet had gazillions of routers, separate subnets, and NAT-capable (Network Address Translation) devices making it work. But in your case, without other kluges (tunneling etc), you can't keep your PCs connected to the 'main' router and devices connected to the 'secondary' router on the same subnet, and comfortably seeing each other the way TiVo's and TiVo apps desire.

If you wanted to separate, say, your kids' PCs and set up separate firewall and web blocking features on their subnet, then a 2nd router would be useful

<edit> Some topics here should help ...
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/index.asp
Read the hubs/switches, s well as the NAT Basics and Broadband Routers topics.

And simplistically put ...
http://www.netbook.cs.purdue.edu/othrpags/qanda249.htm

(Too many TiVos!)

Last edited by ashu : 04-07-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:08 PM   #274
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
(Network tech terms may be seriously butchered here, folks so help clean it up; here's my understanding...) A router (consumer grade) is a 4 (or more) port switch With Features (like a WAN port and internal local network management, NATing, routing etc). Since you don't want to use any of those (in fact, they'd be detrimental!) - you have to use only the 4 'switch' ports (Downlink is the layman's or simplistic term to explain that 'devices' connect there, and your cable/DSL modem connects to the 'uplink'.

Some people have multiple routers on a network (heck, the internet had gazillions of routers, separate subnets, and NAT-capable (Network Address Translation) devices making it work. But in your case, without other kluges (tunneling etc), you can't keep your PCs connected to the 'main' router and devices connected to the 'secondary' router on the same subnet, and comfortably seeing each other the way TiVo's and TiVo apps desire.

If you wanted to separate, say, your kids' PCs and set up separate firewall and web blocking features on their subnet, then a 2nd router would be useful

<edit> Some topics here should help ...
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/index.asp
Read the hubs/switches, s well as the NAT Basics and Broadband Routers topics.

And simplistically put ...
http://www.netbook.cs.purdue.edu/othrpags/qanda249.htm

One other thing to note is that it's generally not good to operate more than one DHCP server on a LAN. So if you do use more than 1 router, disabling DHCP on the internal router(The one NOT connected directly the internet) is advised.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:34 PM   #275
wombat2010

Thank you, both. I am slowly starting to get straightened out, and as I said, I will give things a try tonight. I hope others will benefit from seeing how my situation is resolved (though maybe others knew to plug the bridge into a switch port, not a WAN port).

Also, Stormpace, thanks for the comment about DHCP. I had been thinking that myself, wondering if conflicting IP addresses could end up being given out (how would the routers know what the other was doing?). My only workaround (besides the correct answer, which is to disable DHCP on the router not connected to my cable modem) was to specify IP addresses by MAC address (while leaving DHCP on, which you can do on my wireless router) on the router connected to the modem, and then restrict the range of IP addresses that could be assigned on the other--in other words, set addresses by MAC from 100-109, and tell the other only to hand out addresses beginning at 110 and above. Not a very good solution, and obviously not necessary if I simply disable DHCP on that router.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #276
rog
urban achiever

Stick to only one DHCP server per network, and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

I manage a 150 node, 3 building network at work. Last week, people started calling the help desk, wondering why they couldn't access email, the Internet, mapped network drives, etc. As we started looking at the PC's, we realized they had incorrect IP addresses.

Long story short: someone had installed a wireless access point/router in one of the remote buildings. They weren't authorized to do so, and hadn't spoken with anyone in IT. They had no idea what they were doing, and left the router with the factory default settings, which meant the DHCP server was on.

PC's requesting an IP address were getting alternating responses from the real DHCP server and the rogue DHCP server. So some clients would get a correct IP, while others would get an IP for a different (incorrect) subnet.

It took some sleuthing to track down the router!
Old 04-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #277
wombat2010

Update: New mutiny

Well, I plugged the G820 (wireless bridge/game adapter) into one of the downlink ports of the switch (wired router, acting as a switch now), and turned off DHCP on that router, being sure DHCP was turned on on the wireless router (DI-624), which is connected to my cable modem.

It seems to have worked, in part. The TiVo succesfully obtained an IP address, and is now able to get network updates, share music, and send recordings to my desktop via Tivo to Go ("TTG"). Recall that earlier the first two things worked, but not TTG.

However, I am now unable to go online with my XBox, which is also connected to one of the switch ports. It says it is unable to connect to a DHCP server to get an IP address. I have also tried connecting my laptop to the switch via ethernet, and it, too, is unable to get an IP address (it eventually defaults to a 169.x.x.x address and tells me it has limited/no connectivity).

I cannot figure out what could be wrong that would allow the TiVo to connect in all ways, but not my XBox or laptop. Any ideas? I can provide further details on hardware or configuration if necessary.

Thank you for guiding this ignorant home network administrator.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:58 PM   #278
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

I'm not nearly as confident as others that your Linksys hardware supports what you want to do here (which is have it act as a switch but still connect to a larger network.) Switches in general require extra optional hardware on each port that can serve as an "uplink" port; one that connects to another switch or router. I have both switches and routers that only work with one designated uplink port. Unless your linksys documentation says that it can auto-detect uplinks on all ports, I would not assume it can. (The issue is the connection between the linksys and your wireless router.)
Old 04-07-2005, 10:10 PM   #279
wombat2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
I'm not nearly as confident as others that your Linksys hardware supports what you want to do here (which is have it act as a switch but still connect to a larger network.) Switches in general require extra optional hardware on each port that can serve as an "uplink" port; one that connects to another switch or router. I have both switches and routers that only work with one designated uplink port. Unless your linksys documentation says that it can auto-detect uplinks on all ports, I would not assume it can. (The issue is the connection between the linksys and your wireless router.)
Okay, I think I follow. There is a port on my Linksys router labeled "Uplink" in addition to the four numbered ports and the WAN port (so, six ports total). Should I try plugging the wireless bridge/game adapter (G820) into THAT port? If not, or if that doesn't work, can you recommend a switch that has the capability you're talking about? I mean, sure, I wish what I currently had could do the job, but if not, I'm more than willing to spend a little money on a switch to get things working properly. That is, as long as such switches aren't so exotic that they cost as much as a dual processor Xeon server or something.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #280
ashu
User title defunct

Umm, sure - try that.

But I can vouch for the fact that my Belkin and my D-Link routers work great as switches with the 4 'ports' being the only ones in use. They only have one other port - curiously enough, labelled WAN on one and Uplink on the other!

Welcome to the world of non-standard implementations and nomenclature

Oh, and maybe your XBOX issues stem from the fact that the XBOX sucks and you need a PS2

Try connecting the XBOX first - maybe your G820 can only handle passing on DHCP and then handling traffic for at most ONE device (and the TiVo occupies that slot by virtue of being the first on connected)?

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 04-07-2005, 10:33 PM   #281
ashu
User title defunct

Oh - I got my 8-port GigaFast Ethernet (10/100) Switch, for FREE after rebates. You can frequently find sub-10 deals on 4-port switches at CompUSSR, Worst Buy and Crappy City.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 04-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #282
wombat2010

Quote:
Try connecting the XBOX first - maybe your G820 can only handle passing on DHCP and then handling traffic for at most ONE device (and the TiVo occupies that slot by virtue of being the first on connected)?
I've done some testing and it seems you are right. Whichever device (TiVo or XBox) I tell to connect to the network first (following a power cycling of the G820) gets an IP address and connection no problem. Whichever I tell to connect second gets an error (no gateway found, etc.). It does not matter whether the bridge (G820) is plugged into one of the four numbered switch ports or the uplink port, nor does it matter whether either device is connected in a lower or higher numbered switch port (seemed dumb that it would, but I've seen dumber things work). I also played with which numbered switch port the G820 was plugged into.

So from your quote above, it sounds like you think it is a limitation of the G820, not the router/switch? That is dismaying, because as you pointed out, I can get a switch for next to nothing, but I paid $75 for that wireless bridge, and I don't even know that a different bridge would work any better. Any chance it's the switch? I guess it won't cost me much to try it and find out (well, except for the cost of time, but sheesh, I've gone well past the point of no return now, anyway--this is becoming more about the journey than the destination).

Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:29 AM   #283
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat2010
I've done some testing and it seems you are right. Whichever device (TiVo or XBox) I tell to connect to the network first (following a power cycling of the G820) gets an IP address and connection no problem. Whichever I tell to connect second gets an error (no gateway found, etc.). It does not matter whether the bridge (G820) is plugged into one of the four numbered switch ports or the uplink port, nor does it matter whether either device is connected in a lower or higher numbered switch port (seemed dumb that it would, but I've seen dumber things work). I also played with which numbered switch port the G820 was plugged into.

So from your quote above, it sounds like you think it is a limitation of the G820, not the router/switch? That is dismaying, because as you pointed out, I can get a switch for next to nothing, but I paid $75 for that wireless bridge, and I don't even know that a different bridge would work any better. Any chance it's the switch? I guess it won't cost me much to try it and find out (well, except for the cost of time, but sheesh, I've gone well past the point of no return now, anyway--this is becoming more about the journey than the destination).

Thanks again.
I'm not 100% sure about your situation, but bridges in some configurations require a bridge at both ends.
180hr S2

Old 04-08-2005, 10:29 AM   #284
ashu
User title defunct

Wombat - glancing at the G820 manual ...
1. try turning off Super G mode in all forms (Advanced Tab, Performance menu) - my Belkins work better when all fancy-schamncy hi-speed and turbo modes are OFF.
2. This device needs the Gateway and DNS to be your router's IP (set these on the TiVo and the XBOX)
3. If possible, try to connect TWO devices via the bridge, with your Linksys used as a switch in VERY close proximity to the main router (your PC and XBOX should be easy to manage). Both wired. This will ensure interference at the distance/range you're using it at normally, isn't the culprit.

Finally, not what you want to hear - this is a "Gaming adapter". Fancy packging and more limited firmware. IMHO you would have been better with the (less intentionally crippled, as I've discovered gaming adapters to be!) G810 instead. Can you exchange this at the point of purchase?

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 04-08-2005, 10:48 AM   #285
wombat2010

Ashu,

1. I have disabled Super-G on all devices (which for all I have read seems like little more than marketing hooey and a cause of more headaches than solutions).

2. I will try inputting those settings. I didn't realize the DNS could be the router's IP address--thought it was something that had to be obtained from one's ISP, and I frankly ignored it b/c I didn't understand it. Query, though, whether the XBox or TiVo would be able to connect when plugged in alone, but not when plugged in with the other, based on this information not being entered? Nevertheless worth trying.

3. I will try that, too, although getting them any closer will be difficult with my desktop upstairs from the other components. Maybe I'll scrounge around for some long CAT5.

As far as the distinction between the gaming adapter (G820) and wireless bridge (G810), I did not realize that manufacturers supply crippleware with the former. I actually settled on the G820 after some debate, largely because comments I read in different places seemed to suggest the G810 had buggy firmware. Of course, the reality is probably that more people had had more time to complain about the G810 because it has been out longer. Very annoying that the gaming adapters are artificially limited in their firmware. Don't think I can return it, though--Newegg is good with returns, but I've had it for months. ;-)

We'll see what happens tonight. What do you think about the possibility, as raised by CrispyCritter, that the problem really is with my router? Perhaps a switch that can auto-detect uplinks an all ports (rather than just on one, designated port, as is the case with my Linksys) would solve my problems. Danke once again.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #286
rog
urban achiever

Quote:
2. This device needs the Gateway and DNS to be your router's IP (set these on the TiVo and the XBOX).
The gateway should be the router's IP, correct. But the DNS? That doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat2010
2. I will try inputting those settings. I didn't realize the DNS could be the router's IP address--thought it was something that had to be obtained from one's ISP, and I frankly ignored it b/c I didn't understand it.
wombat, you are correct. DNS servers reside at the ISP, and you'll always need to use the ISP's DNS servers on all your devices.

I think ashu must have made a typo, or just meant something else. Your router will NOT act as a DNS server.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:30 PM   #287
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

If you use DHCP you shouldn't have to do anything to the TiVo but set it to obtain an IP automatically.
180hr S2

Old 04-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #288
wombat2010

I am beginning to think my problem is due to a hardware limitation, possibly with my Linksys router (acting as switch) not having auto-detecting uplink capabilities on all ports. To attempt to rule out the wireless gaming adapter (G820) as the culprit, I will configure and hook up a Linksys wireless bridge I have (WET11--it's 802.11b and works fine with my wireless-g router) and see if I have the same problems.

I'll also try entering gateways and such, but since the TiVo OR the XBox OR my laptop can connect fine when connected alone, I don't think it's a problem with something like that. It seems like DHCP should work or not, regardless of whether other devices are connected to the switch (unless the switch is limiting things, which is why I will try getting a new switch).

Any recommended switches that anyone here has used successfully? Based on reading switch descriptions, it is difficult to tell whether a switch has auto-detecting uplink capabilities.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:40 PM   #289
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog
The gateway should be the router's IP, correct. But the DNS? That doesn't make any sense.

wombat, you are correct. DNS servers reside at the ISP, and you'll always need to use the ISP's DNS servers on all your devices.

I think ashu must have made a typo, or just meant something else. Your router will NOT act as a DNS server.
Routers will forward DNS. When set to DHCP, (I'm quite sure) my devices pick up the router's IP as their DHCP server, Gateway AND DNS! Or am I missing something?

Of course, in a more managed network, where the router is aLinux box with two interfaces and running IPChains firewalls, NAT in software etc - setting its IP as DNS would be silly *unless* you also ran a DNS service on it

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 04-08-2005, 04:35 PM   #290
rog
urban achiever

Quote:
Routers will forward DNS.
So, you are basically saying the (consumer grade) "router" is acting as a DNS proxy of sorts? This is the scenario I think you are describing: Clients set their DNS server equal to the IP of the router. When they make a DNS query to that router, the router in turn passes (or proxies) that request onto the real DNS server at the ISP, then hands the DNS response back to the client.

Well, I suppose it's theoretically possible. But...

1) Why would that ever be necessary? The router is just using the ISP's DNS servers anyway.

2) With DHCP being the usual configuration scenario, and thus, the DHCP server able to tell the clients what the ISP's DNS servers are, why bother with a DNS proxy?

3) I've never seen it. My Linksys router certainly does NOT do this. I use static IP's normally, but when I do turn DHCP on, it always hands the client devices the real IP's of the DNS servers at the ISP, and it never would tell the client to use the IP of the router for DNS.

4) Adding a DNS proxy to a consumer-level device would add cost that would be passed on to the consumer. Might I add, a completely needless cost.

Anyway, I digress and we're getting off topic. But I see no reason to not go with the standard tried-and-true method of using your ISP's DNS servers on every device.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #291
ashu
User title defunct

Mere pass-through can be implemented as a rule in firmware ... not much cost there.

The tried and true setting involves (the user or network configure-er) remembering the DNS, or a router that specifies it when a device requests a DHCP IP.

Setting the DNS IP to be the router's IP is superior because it simplifies the steps/effort required to enable static IP!

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 04-08-2005, 06:27 PM   #292
rog
urban achiever

Although it's not quite as simple as a "mere pass through" (keep in mind, the router would effectively be doing network address translation to make a DNS proxy work), you are probably right in that it would be a software solution, and thus, it probably wouldn't add much cost to the router.

I will admit I'm used to thinking in terms of business/enterprise networks.

However, I still maintain my position that setting each client device to use the IP addresses of the ISP's DNS servers is the proper way.

Or, just use DHCP on the clients and don't worry about DNS.

After all, not all routers can/will pass DNS queries in the manner you describe. It's not a RFC standard, AFAIK.

----

Moving along, I second your comments about game adapters. I think they are marketing-heavy and feature-thin. Not to mention needlessly overpriced!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:23 PM   #293
wombat2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog
However, I still maintain my position that setting each client device to use the IP addresses of the ISP's DNS servers is the proper way.

Or, just use DHCP on the clients and don't worry about DNS.

After all, not all routers can/will pass DNS queries in the manner you describe. It's not a RFC standard, AFAIK.
Point well taken, and that's what I'll do, but in the event I do try entering the ISP's DNS server, is that information typically available through the ISP's web site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog
Moving along, I second your comments about game adapters. I think they are marketing-heavy and feature-thin. Not to mention needlessly overpriced!
Yeah, total rip, and total marketing hooey for a crippleware product. I would have paid just as much for a plain vanilla wireless bridge, though it might have worked better.

By the way, any recommended switches for auto-detecting uplinks that you mentioned earlier? I think that is what I'm going to try this weekend.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:47 PM   #294
pcar1947

I have been following these post with interest. I am one of the early adapters of the VIXJIM setup. I have been experiencing real-time transfers since feb 04. Of course I have experienced the pain of setting up the game adapters and the Dropping of transfers in mid stream . For the most part it's ok. However it seems you guys have come up with a new and improved wireless g transfer. Does anyone have a diagram of the improved setup? Are routers (WRT54G) replacing the Game Adapter? What does SVEASOFT do for me?

I know these questions have been asked before but this thread has been going since 12-19-03 and I am confused.
365 Hour w/SATA Drive Pioneer DVD 810h TIVO
All Lifetime and 1 Wired and 2 Wireless
Galleon 2.5.1
Sling Box
pcar1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:30 PM   #295
ashu
User title defunct

Routers that implement bridging (WDS) behave like a 'game adapter' or 'bridge' connected to a 4-port switch. They're more common, so they're often cheaper (Belkins for 5-15 after rebates, 45 for ALL 3 of my routers!)

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 04-11-2005, 02:57 PM   #296
eibgrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar1947
I have been following these post with interest. I am one of the early adapters of the VIXJIM setup. I have been experiencing real-time transfers since feb 04. Of course I have experienced the pain of setting up the game adapters and the Dropping of transfers in mid stream . For the most part it's ok. However it seems you guys have come up with a new and improved wireless g transfer. Does anyone have a diagram of the improved setup? Are routers (WRT54G) replacing the Game Adapter? What does SVEASOFT do for me?

I know these questions have been asked before but this thread has been going since 12-19-03 and I am confused.
I started the ball rolling on the use of Belkin routers some months ago. I noticed at the time that the Belkin F5D7230-4 and F5F7231-4 routers support WDS (Wireless Distribution System), *PLUS*, they could be had cheap, often $10-20 AR (after rebate), or even FAR (free after rebate). Even picked up a router from Home Depot recently for $25 (price matched to Buy.com), w/ $40 rebate, so I made $15!

The reason this situation is so compelling for use w/ Tivo is a) the routers support WDS, so they can be bridged, b) they're dirt cheap (compared to a dedicated wireless bridge or game adapter, easily $80 or more), and c), support for "G" protocol.

So the basis of discussion in this forum has been to aquire these Belkin routers, configure them as APs (Access Point), and enable bridging. Thus, each Tivo can have its own dedicated AP. All it takes is adding a USB 2.0 ethernet adapter (e.g., D-Link DUB-E100), then patching it to the AP. Because all the wireless configuration lies outside the Tivo, it removes any limitations or restrictions on wireless imposed by Tivo (e.g., "b" only). You just want to make sure you use USB 2.0 ethernet adapters (as opposed to USB 1.1) to get the most bandwidth of the "G" protocol as possible.

There are several configurations possible. Some people use one of the Belkin routers *as* a router, the other routers are reconfigured as AP w/ bridging enabled on all devices. The WDS support makes this possible, something not typically found on competitive brands at this same price level.

In my case, I find the Belkin router, as a router, to be quite limited, doesn't provide all the features I'm come to expect w/ an advanced router, such as that found on my D-Link DI-624. Therefore, I've kept my DI-624 but disabled the wireless, then patched one of the Belkin routers in AP mode (and of course, bridging enabled) to the DI-624 w/ a simple ethernet patch cable. All other Belkin routers are also configured as APs w/ bridging enabled, but all these are patched to my Tivos. Of course, you can do the same thing w/ other network devices, like the family room PC, mom's laptop, whatever you like. IOW, I maintain the advantages of my DI-624 router (which doesn't support WDS, so it's not bridgeable), while gaining the advantages of the Belkin router's wireless WDS.

However you configure it, the "big deal" in this forum regarding the Belkin routers is that they support WDS, can therefore be bridged w/ other Belkin "G" routers (and of course, dedicated Belkin APs), and for a fraction of the cost of buying dedicated APs, game adapters, etc. We're not doing anything here in this forum wrt these Belkin routers that you couldn't accomplish w/ other brand routers, BUT, you would be forced to buy expense, dedicated APs/bridges for this purpose.

In my case, I've managed to aquire four (4) Belkin F5D7230-4 routers for a maybe $20 or so (after all rebates). No way, no how, can you build an equivalent distributed wireless system w/ the "G" protocol this cheaply EXCEPT w/ the Belkin line. As far as the SVEASOFT, some people are using this primarily to make the mediocre Belkin router, a better router. Since WDS is already supported, it doesn't have much more relevance to this discussion. In the case of Linksys, I believe SVEASOFT has *added* WDS support (don't hold me to that, I don't follow SVEASOFT advancements all that closely). In that case, it would obviously benefit the Linksys crowd, it would make Linksys capable of achieving the same thing, although you still can't beat the Belkin on pricing. Just beware that WDS, even when supported, is typically NOT interoperable across brands.

I hope that clears up a few things, it's not really as complex once you see it in action, it's a lot harder to explain than actually execute. It's just that not everyone is aware of the WDS/bridging capability built into the Belkin routers, so people usually don't recognize how easy and cheaply they can dramatically improve their wireless network, and in this case, Tivo specifically.

HTH

eibgrad
eibgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:27 PM   #297
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by eibgrad
I started the ball rolling on the use of Belkin routers some months ago.

it's not really as complex once you see it in action, it's a lot harder to explain than actually execute. It's just that not everyone is aware of the WDS/bridging capability built into the Belkin routers, so people usually don't recognize how easy and cheaply they can dramatically improve their wireless network, and in this case, Tivo specifically.
Thanks, great post. And thanks for mentioning the Belkins here ... I've lost count of how many friends have gone the 'Belkin Way' thanks to my preaching, over the last few months.

And I've emphasised a part of your message, just to re-iterate it. Once I had channels and MAC's ironed out, the configuration on a per-edvice (TiVo, PCs, Networked Printer/Scanner etc.) is almost NIL!

Ohh, and I also retained my D-Link 614+ as the 'main' router, and it also handles 802.11B duties, on a separate channel. The Belkins (all 3 of which cost less than the D-Link, combined!) operate in G-only mode.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 04-12-2005, 01:05 AM   #298
rog
urban achiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by eibgrad
I hope that clears up a few things, it's not really as complex once you see it in action, it's a lot harder to explain than actually execute.

HTH

eibgrad
Great post man! You explained it very well. You nearly summed up the whole thread. This one deserves sticky status.

Quote:
I also retained my D-Link 614+ as the 'main' router, and it also handles 802.11B duties, on a separate channel.
You mean your DLink router can host 11b on one channel and 11g on another? That's quite a router! I've never really tried any of the Belkin products (the fact that Linksys is made by Cisco has always been a big deciding factor for me), but I think I'll pick one of these up next time I see a good deal.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:36 AM   #299
eibgrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog
You mean your DLink router can host 11b on one channel and 11g on another? That's quite a router! I've never really tried any of the Belkin products (the fact that Linksys is made by Cisco has always been a big deciding factor for me), but I think I'll pick one of these up next time I see a good deal.
Not quite.

Remember, the DI-614+ is a b only router, whereas my DI-624 is a b/g router. What ashu has done is a slight twist on my configuration. If you recall, I disabled the wireless completely on my DI-624, thus all wireless clients, b and g, are supported over the Belkin router/AP, which is patched w/ ethernet cable to my DI-624. IOW, I maintain only ONE wireless network, supported completely by the Belkins.

In ashus case, hes decided to leave the DI-614+ wireless ENABLED, while also patching the Belkin router/AP to the DI-614+. In effect, ashu is maintaining TWO wireless networks. Although ashu hasnt detailed why he did this, I can venture an educated guess.

Using ashus configuration, he can maintain a separate b wireless network, perhaps for existing b clients, esp. if they employ D-Link client adapters. Meanwhile, he can keep all g traffic, perhaps all of it strictly Tivo, on a different wireless network. Its NOT that the DI-614+ supports b clients on one channel and g clients on another channel, as you inferred from our earlier comments, rather, its that the DI-614+ supports b clients on one channel, and the ***Belkin router/AP*** supports g clients on another channel. Ultimately, all clients, be they wired, b, or g, end up on the DI-614+ for network services (DHCP, firewall, etc.).

To complete the thought, ashu could go so far as to actively *exclude* 802.11b clients from using the Belkin wireless network by configuring the Belkin router/APs in 54-G Only mode.

Why all this fuss by ashu? Should be obvious, it increases the available bandwidth for all b and g clients, and thus potentially increasing throughput. Only thing he has to be careful about is avoiding/minimizing interference by using sufficient channel separation (both "b" and "g" use the same 2.4GHz band).

eibgrad
eibgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:43 AM   #300
rog
urban achiever

got it, thanks for splainin'.

don't forget, ashu just likes playing with these things. sounds like you and i have a similar infliction. it's best not to over-analyze it.