TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2005, 05:34 AM   #181
lordrichter

The TiVO has a modem in it that can be used to connect with TiVo, and is used during initial setup. It also has a USB port on the back that can take USB ethernet or selected USB Wireless adapters, this network ability can replace the phone after initial setup for the connection to TiVo.

Setup is pretty painless and takes less than an hour. After you are done, the TiVo will need to digest information it downloaded from TiVo and may require a reboot in order to install new software. This takes an hour, or maybe two, but TiVo says it will take four. Once this initial setup is done, TiVo pretty much takes care of itself.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:09 AM   #182
ROB-USA

User Guides Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamster
Hello All!

I am interested in the Toshiba RS-TX60. As a newbie to TIVO can anyone tell me what interface this unit uses to communicate with TIVO for updates, etc. phone line? USB? any network options? I have checked all specs but no reference to the above mentioned ports. Is there a pdf manual I could refer to?

How is the setup?

How does this unit compare with the Pioneer DVR810HS?
I couldn't tell you how it compares to the Pioneer unit, although I've had other Pioneer products in the past and found them to be rock-solid.

Here's the link to the Toshiba user guides provided by TiVO:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/user...corder_toshiba

Good Luck and if you have any problems setting up, check back to this forum for answers. We really are a community dedicated to helping other user.

Also, check for the best prices on line via a services like:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search.p...&Search=Search

Obviously, should you decide to buy online, check the vendor ratings carefully. Personally, I purchased my Toshiba unit from:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...eed.TOS+RSTX20

$459 U.S. with a $100 rebate ($359 your end cost) and $19.80 shipping with NO tax. I've used that vendor for multiple high-end items this past years with extraordinary service. If you're skittish about buying from them on-line, they have a toll free number and a nice sales staff.

Rob
ROB-USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:14 AM   #183
ROB-USA

Answers to your questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgaddis
Hi everyone, I feel totally lame with the questions I'm going to ask but I'm really frustrated. I have my TX20 hooked up to a JVC receiver, JVC VCR, Toshiba Cinema series 65" wide screen, 5 speakers and an HD cable box from Comcast. There are 2 things I can't seem to make happen even if I follow their directions perfectly (which none of them have good directions when using a home theater system).

First, when I try to record one channel and watch another, the recording switches to the channel I switch to. I even tried the standby mode thing and switching on my remote from DVD (which is where the TX20 is hocked up to) over to HD colorstream which is my tv channels. I also wonder what you would do if you have a season pass and you're watching tv, how would the season pass record if you're on another channel. It records whatever I'm watching.

Second problem I ran into was I tried to put my vhs tape into the vcr to record to the TX20 dvd. I tried even running composite cables in front direct from the DVR to the VCR and I kept getting No Signal showing on screen.

Am I just retarded or has anyone else had this type of problem?

Other than that I love this unit.

Thanks
mpgaddis
You cannot a watch one live TV show and record another at the same time with this unit because that process requires two tuners. That may seem like a major draw back, but you can watch anything from your now playing list and/or save to VHS or DVD while watching live TV. (Not a bad compromise). As to your other problem, check the cables and your connections, as I've never had the problem you described.

Rob
ROB-USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:26 PM   #184
splice

I just set up this unit this week, my problem is that no matter what video hoohup I set up be it s video or composite or component it still only will show video ok in composite, and it will not even show the component setup on the screen. The tv is set so componete is active all cables are hooked up per the book. Every thing else works great , any help would be most appreciated thanks splice unit is the rs tx 60
splice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:21 AM   #185
GiFFtech

Very cool- thanks Rob-USA. I was planning on buying it this month but I just blew part of that money on reserving a Sony PSP. haha. Guess, I'll just have to push that purchase to next month. :-)
GiFFtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #186
Jake978

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB-USA
You cannot a watch one live TV show and record another at the same time with this unit because that process requires two tuners. That may seem like a major draw back, but you can watch anything from your now playing list and/or save to VHS or DVD while watching live TV. (Not a bad compromise). As to your other problem, check the cables and your connections, as I've never had the problem you described.

Rob
Watching one channel while recording another can be accomplished by splitting Cable input. Then using using a video switcher to select which channel the TV will view. Go to the Tivo site and find the link for various setups.
Jake978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:41 PM   #187
GGI

Any suggestions on how to have two TIVO units in the same rack? I bought a RSTX60 and hoped to install it in the same rack with a Hughs dual tuner Directv TIVO. Unfortuately the remote control changes both units at the same time and creates a mess on on unit or the other. I tried seperating the units by about six feet horizontally, but they both still pick up the remote command.
GGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:48 AM   #188
rrman

TiVo and the remote can be programmed to use a different set of remote codes. Go to tivo.com or read the manual on how to do this.
rrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:09 PM   #189
rrman

TiVo's web site says that TiVoToGo is "coming soon" for TiVo models with DVD recorders. HME needs TiVo software version 7.1. HME sounds pretty exciting, and I'm looking forward to developing software with it. Does anyone have any more specific information regarding when version 7.1 will be available for TiVos with DVD recorders (such as the Toshiba RS-TX20)?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:07 AM   #190
lordrichter

No, TiVo does not preannounce that information.

"Later this year" is all we know, and we don't know what year "this year" is.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:24 PM   #191
tedk1

Finally, video OK from Hughes E-86

I finally completed setup last night.

My satellite box is a Hughes HIRD-E86. I found buried in its manual this crucial information: it will feed HD to the component outs, or SD to the S-video, composite, and coax outs, but not both at the same time.

The Hughes remote command to change output from one to the other is (SAT) ACTION, INPUT. Once I did that, Guided Setup finally gave me Video OK and I was able to complete the job.

The Toshiba phone support guy was very helpful and courteous but could not suggest this course of action in over an hour on the phone. The Best Buy people were amazingly willing to help but none could tell me this. One BB techie even has a similar setup with Hughes to Toshiba, and it took him three nights to get it going, and could not explain to me (or himself) how he had finally done it.

Tonight it's back to Best Buy to buy two more S-video cables. My first connection from the RS to the TV was by composite (yellow) cable and as soon as I replaced it with S-Video it was noticeably better. (The TV is a 50" Samsung HD by the way.) I already have the sat box and another DVD player connected by component but I want to use S-Video instead of composite where there aren't enough component connections.

I was also planning to get another optical digital audio cable to run from the Toshiba, as my Onkyo receiver has another digital audio in available, but unfortunately the Hughes sat box only has one digital audio out and I need to leave that connected as my "real-time" audio.

Although when I bought the Toshiba, the Best Buy guy said it would work with HD, clearly there is a lot of misinformation and half-truth on this subject. I don't blame anyone as the area is so incredibly new.

So for now I have to take three steps to go from satellite to Tivo:
1. change sat box output from component to an SD out such as S-Video
2. change receiver audio from sat in to Toshiba in
3. change TV video input from sat box to Toshiba

I will see how hard it is to program my Sony mega-remote to do all 3 as a macro.

Thanks for this forum. I just read every post from the beginning, and hope my post can save some other Hughes owner some frustration.

I am considering moving both the Hughes and the RS unit to the bedroom if and when a better DirecTV/Tivo setup is available with true HD. I'd love to hear from a user with some knowledge of such.
tedk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #192
tedk1

By the way, I'm an experienced forum user although new to this forum, and didn't appreciate having to remove a number of carefully chosen links and graphic enhancements before being allowed to post. But if that's the biggest problem I have to face today... (grin)
Old 03-16-2005, 01:33 PM   #193
tedk1

One of the links I had to remove from my initial post was to the companion forum at tivo per se - I wanted to give bedelman credit for his help. Thanks. Would you believe I couldn't even spell out tivo's web address in order to post this? Three down, two to go. But I promose to quiet down for now.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:35 PM   #194
Exubesq

Getting Ready

My RS-TX20 just shipped. I have a nonHD 4 year old RCA TV and Comcast digital cable. What, if anything, should I buy by way of cables, etc in advance to make set up easier? Do I need to buy a better remote to get everything working as one? My hope is to connect via wireless adapter but first I just want to get the thing set up.
Any practical advice would be most appreciated.

Last edited by Exubesq : 03-17-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Exubesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:26 PM   #195
rrman

Exubesq:

The cables you may need depend on how you want to hookup the TiVo, whether you have a receiver or not, etc. See chapter 1 of the following online Toshiba manual to see the various connection options:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/user...r_toshiba_user

In addition to the TiVo, the remote can also control a TV and receiver (minimal functions like Power, volume, mute, input switching). See chapter 6 in the online Toshiba manual.

Enjoy your TiVo!
Old 03-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #196
Exubesq

Parental controls

Thanks. According to fedex, my new toy arrives today. I have read about the parental controls offered through Tivo and I assume that means I need to disable parental controls that Comcast permits and set them up on the Tivo instead (?) With a 14 year old and a 10 year old, I can't be too careful.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:18 PM   #197
ber

voice /pic issue

Have RS-TX and on ocassion it appears that the picture and the voice are about a half second behind....has anyone run into this?

THANKS
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:01 PM   #198
TivoDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exubesq
Thanks. According to fedex, my new toy arrives today. I have read about the parental controls offered through Tivo and I assume that means I need to disable parental controls that Comcast permits and set them up on the Tivo instead (?) With a 14 year old and a 10 year old, I can't be too careful.
Correct. You only need to set up the parental controls on the Tivo. I do that with my kids. Enjoy!
Old 03-18-2005, 05:03 PM   #199
TivoDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
Have RS-TX and on ocassion it appears that the picture and the voice are about a half second behind....has anyone run into this?

THANKS
ber, this occasionally happens on all models. Usually if you press pause and restart again it resyncs. If it happens repeatedly or this little trick doesn't work you might have a defective unit. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:16 PM   #200
marcelh

rs-tx20 Is it just me or does everyone hate recording mode!

I have owned a rs-tx20 for about 4-5 months now and is it just me or does everyone hate not being able to decide what quality you want to record to DVD !!!!!
You have to record the DVD in whatever quality it is recorded on the Hard Drive!!
I would like to record at Best Quality to Hard Drive and then decide what quality I want it recorded to DVD why can this not be done????????

Just venting, other than this I like my rs-tx20 but this does make me mad as I had not known about this before I purchased it!

Marcel
marcelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 06:43 AM   #201
Exubesq

Thumbs down Has anyone else gotten a bad unit?

Got the TX20 yesterday; managed to hook up everything and was so excited when the guided set up screen appeared that it took a minute to realize (1) the remote doesn't do anything even though it lights up at the end; and (2) there are no lights or display on the front of the unit itself. The fan is going and obviously some part of it is alive because I was able to go through the set up using the select button on the front panel all the way through the 2 download calls - the final instruction of course was to push the Tivo button on the remote and that's when I gave up because of course that doesn't work. I tried unplugging the unit - no go. I am thinking defective unit and am totally pissed off.
Is it just me or has this happend to anyone else?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:52 PM   #202
lordrichter

Sounds like something is defective in the unit. Might be something as simple as a ribbon cable coming loose during shipping. I would report it as DOA to whereever you purchased it.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:13 AM   #203
Exubesq

It's on its way BACK to buydig.com (at my expense, natch) and I'll keep my fingers crossed that the replacement will be OK. Trying to decide if I have AmEx hold the transaction as a disputed charge until I see a real live working unit in my family room.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #204
RayG05

Arrow Is the TX60 really worth it? Should I return?

Hello Everyone..Iím a newbie here. Iíve been thinking about getting Tivo for a long time and a couple of friends of mine have it and love it, but they have DirecTivo. They boast about recording 2 programs and watching another pre-recording at the same time. The decision was final when I found out about the TivoToGo feature.
So I rushed and purchased the TX60 and so far Iím very disappointed.

Iím really thinking about returning this unit. Maybe itís my set up but Iím not getting the full functionality that this unit is suppose to provide or of what I expect from a $500 piece of equipment.

PLEASE HELP:

My setup: I live in NY and have Time Warner cable. I have not upgraded to DTV since I am moving in the next couple of months and I want to take advantage of the analog signal. So I have an old analog Scientific Atlanta box with only coaxial connections. No RCA connections which is no problem because I can still channel surf with the DVR connecting through the coaxial connection.
Problems:
1) 1 tuner is an issue..I canít record a show and change to another channel unless I split the connection and get only scrambled channels. So no HBO, Skinamax, ESPN, MTV while recording..so really no reason to watch TV. However I could just look around the house and find another cable box and have 2 cable boxes hooked just to get the functionality that should have came with a $500 unit. Like I really have another cable box in a closet.
2) Recording old VHS or home videos. Iím able to record the videos into Tivo but I canít record them from Tivo to DVD. I get Copyright Protected. What is that? I own these movies an now I canít archive them. This is even on my very own home made movies from my old Cam. Canít burn them to DVD.
3) DVD is not great and what happened to 5.1 audio output?
4) Canít take advantage of TivoToGo feature because at the moment feature is not offered DVD-DVR costumers.

So far my Tivolution experience sucks.
Please give me any reason not to return this unit.
The only good thing Iíve got from the TX60 is the Tivo GUI which I love. Everything else is just not worth the money.

RayG05
RayG05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:10 AM   #205
tucsonbill
Cranky Member

Question Tivo Basic features

Hi, I'm considering the TX20 as an option for a DVD recorder. I'm currently a ReplayTV user (not because of any bias against TiVo; it's just how it worked out.) so I only know what I read about TiVO. I understand that TiVO basic only includes limited guide data and doesn't include Season Pass capability, but does it allow me to set up a recording of a specific program from the guide to repeat weekly on a given day and time? This is basically all the capability I've had with my Replays and it's served my needs. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:56 PM   #206
rrman

I have the Toshiba RS-TX20. I'd like to install the TiVo Desktop. What version should I install - 2.0 or 1.3? TiVo Desktop 2.0 has TivoToGo support, although I know that TiVoToGo is not yet available for TiVos with DVD recorders. The hardware requirements for TiVo Desktop version 2.0 says "TiVo Series 2" but not the ones with DVD recorders. But, is it okay to use Desktop version 2.0 as long as I don't intend on using TiVoToGo? Or should I just install version 1.3? Other than TiVoToGo support, is there any advantage of using 2.0 instead of 1.3, or is 1.3 more stable, and then I'll just upgrade to 2.x in the future when TTG becomes available for the Toshiba?

EDIT: I have Windows XP, which Desktop 2.0 requires.

Thanks.

Last edited by rrman : 03-23-2005 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:39 AM   #207
Christopher770

Connecting RS-TX20 to HD Receiver

I have the following equipment:

HDTV: SONY 34Ē KV-34HS420
DVDR: TOSHIBA RS-TX20

DIRECT TV
HD RECEIVER SAMSUNG H10

DELIMA IS HOOKING THE COMPONENTS TOGETHER FOR OPTIMAL PICTURE QUALITY.

THE HD RECEIVER HAS 4 OUTPUT JACKS

1) HDMI
2) S-VIDEO
3) COMPONENT
4) COMPOSITE

The Toshiba RS-TX20 only has 2 Input Jacks (and no HDMI Out???)

1) RG Ė Satellite Coax
2) Composite

The logical sequence to me is Satellite to HD Receiver out to Toshiba in to Sony HDTV. But there is a huge degradation because my only option is to use the composite out from the HD Receiver into the Toshiba.

I cannot understand why a new product like the RS-TX20 has this type of limitation for inputs. Iíve heard it is for copyright protection from recording in such high quality. I just want to be able to use the Toshiba w/ TiVo as it is intended and obtain the trued HD video quality that is capable. Iíve looked for a HDMI to RG6 Converter, S-Vid to RG6 and Component to RG6. I feel like Iím screwed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!!
Christopher770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:53 AM   #208
crazyfool

RS-TX 60 Current Software

For those of you that own a TX 20 or TX 60, what is the most current software that you are running. I'm stuck at 5.4, and believe that may be the reason that I am getting an error while configuring message while trying to connect via broadband. I suspect that the Linksys USB100M adapter that I am using may not be supported by my current software, and that I might have to leave my unit at a friend's house until it updates via the phone line. Please let me know if my suspicions are true.
crazyfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #209
lordrichter

My TX-20 is at 5.4.1
Old 03-25-2005, 03:02 PM   #210
dlemelin

Wireless UB Adapter????

I have a Toshiba RS-TX20 and am looking for the best USB wireless adapter.
I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router for my laptop.
Any info appreciated!

Thanks
Danny

dlemelin is offline   Reply With Quote