TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2004, 09:14 AM   #1
al_bburn

Dish 322 any way to fix 'press select to continue'

Hello,

I just switched from cable to Dish Network. I have a 322 receiver, using IR for Tivo, UHF for second tuner. All seems to work ok with one very irritating exception. The 322 schedules a daily call to get program guide information and check for software updates. When its done, it power cycles itself and instead of just going to a channel, it displays "Press Select to Continue".
Grrrrrrr. Tivo cannot change the channel because it cannot press select.

I can turn off the program updates but was wondering if anyone had another way?

Thanks much in advance,

Al
al_bburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 09:22 AM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Does it do this EVERY night or only when there are software updates? TiVo doesn't know how to "press Select" and doesn't know it needs to.

If you can turn off the program updates, do so, and manually check for them once a month or so when you are there to restore it to normal operation.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:04 AM   #3
al_bburn

Thanks for the reply.

I disabled the daily program update "phone call" on the 322. While the box does not call out, something even worse happens - it displays an error at the time it would have dialed out which basically states if I don't allow it to dial I will be charged another 4.99 a month for the 2nd receiver. Now the 322s are a good deal in this regards, but it really hoses up Tivo and I love my Tivo. Seems a basic design feature of the sat boxes should be to allow channel changes to automagically elimitate the notification screens (e.g. hit enter to continue). Oh well, we don't design them, we just buy them I guess.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

One thought I have is to create a daily program timer that tunes to some channel, about 30 minutes after the box dials out for the program update.
If this works, at least daily manual intervention wouldn't be required. I would have a small window of "non-Tivo'able" time, but it might be the best we can do. I'll post the result.

Also, FYI - my basic setup is the Dish 322 dual tuner box (one IR remote, one UHF remote). The IR controlled tuner is out to the TiVo, over to the A/V receiver. The UHF controlled tuner is both coax to the TV input and cabled over to the A/V. This allows for an economical dual tuner for those with a separate PVR. Can watch one thing while Tivo is recording another.
It also (at least in my case) preserves some simplicity on the basic TV. Just turn it on and use the 322 UHF remote like normal. For higher quality w/better sound, flip on the A/V and use vid-x inputs on the TV.

Later,

Al
al_bburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 09:04 AM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The problem is that since the TiVo has no idea whether or not pressing Select is needed, and pressing that when it's NOT needed may have unwanted side effects, there's not much to be done. Dish receivers have always been a pain in that they don't allow a numeric channel change to take them off these status screens (for example, if it tunes to a channel you don't get or a PPV channel that has not been purchased.) I started out with Dish and an SVR-2000 three and a half years ago.

So I see that Dish has actually made the problem even worse in the design of the 322.... Yuck.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:39 PM   #5
seanob

I just moved and used to have a dish 301. now I just discovered this problem with my new 322. I HATE it. I'm gonna have them send me 2 301s instead. Its the worst possible thing this 'press select' thing.

question... my updates seem to only put in about 2 days of info. I never need this info but it seems that when there is no info I also cant get the channel to change. anyone have luck with disabling the updates and just going with none?
seanob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 01:51 AM   #6
seanob

I called Dish today and through much difficulty they are gonna come and replace my 322 with 2 301's. I have to pay a 'service call' fee but its gonna be cheaper than if I go buy my own tuners.

so... if stay away from the 322 if you are gonna order new dish network service.
seanob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 03:15 PM   #7
zentex

Quote:
Originally posted by al_bburn
One thought I have is to create a daily program timer that tunes to some channel, about 30 minutes after the box dials out for the program update.
If this works, at least daily manual intervention wouldn't be required. I would have a small window of "non-Tivo'able" time, but it might be the best we can do. I'll post the result.
so al...

did this idea work? I find myself in the same situation.
zentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
skaeight

So any news on this workaround? Also, how fast is changing channels through the tivo on a 322?
skaeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:49 PM   #9
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Set up a timed macro on a universal remote to press "select" at a preset time?

Or, sorry I have to say it.

Get DirecTV DVRs.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:54 PM   #10
skaeight

No go on the directivo. Directv doesn't have my locals. Right now I'm still deciding between dish and directv. With directv I can get a receiver that will use the serial connection, however dish doesn't offer this. But if IR works relativly well with dish receivers I won't mind. I'm just trying to get some info to help make my decision.
skaeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:58 PM   #11
Peterod

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...3&pagenumber=1

DISH 322:

al_bburn writes “All seems to work ok with one very irritating exception. The 322 schedules a daily call to get program guide information and check for software updates. When its done, it power cycles itself and instead of just going to a channel, it displays 'Press Select to Continue'. Grrrrrrr. Tivo cannot change the channel because it cannot press select.”

Peterod has found the following workaround: “I have the 322 set for a 4am update connection. […] What I did was add a daily timer to ‘AutoTune’ the 322 to any sub'ed channel at 5am. The 322 is tuned at that time to the selected timer and the ‘Select Button’ screen is reset.”
Peterod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:24 PM   #12
ptroost

Workaround not working around

I have tried this and it is not working. I set the autotune timer to 30 minutes after the call time but it doesn't "wake up" the 322 -> I still get the "press select to continue" screen. Any other workarounds or ideas? I can't believe how annoying this is. A hex on dish network!
ptroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:34 AM   #13
yucl

I've got the same problem but soloved it with an external power timer. I read from other places of the "manual timer" scheme but somehow it did not work for me. I did not want to spend more time to figure out why it did not work as it is painful to wake up and figure out what the receiver was doing at 4am.

What I did was using an external power control timer and set it to turn the power off and on at 4:50am and 4:52am. Everything was fine eversince. I used a digital timer that I have had for a long time without real use. I guess you can use a cheap dial one but it probably will be better to choose one with 15min interval. Make sure your schedule guide update time is before that there is enough time to finish the update.

Trading 322 with two 301 is not a very good idea to me. The 322 has the UHF remote control capability which is very useful and the guide looks much nicer than 301. In my setup, the tuner-1 in 322 goes to DVR(replay); tuner-2's ANT ouput goes to the ANT input of my HDTV; the composite output of tuner-2 goes to a video sender and was beamed wirelessly to my bedroom TV. I have a 508 sitting in the bedroom but this additional tuner can be useful when the 508 is recording but I want to watch something else live. This additional tuner-2 of 322 servers the same purpose for my HDTV too.

My house does not have a good in-home cable distribution so I have to use the video sender. However, in my case, the video sender works very well.
yucl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:19 PM   #14
xaerospace

I finally found a thread about this issue. I hate Dish cause of it.... ARGH!!!

I am going to try the timer work around. I have that setup right now and I don't think it is working. I do have a DVR Dish tuner, so I think I can set it up to record like 2 mins of a channel, than stop. Then let the tivo do all the "real" recording.

Anyone find any other work arounds???
xaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:21 PM   #15
bartling

DISH network daily update call time

Does anyone know what time the DISH network call is made? Some say 4:00 or 5:00. I recorded something at 3:00 and got nothing but the screensaver. I have been doing trial and error, but that takes forever since you can only try one per night.
bartling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #16
revscpa

Dish update call

I believe you can change the time yourself. Go to SYSTEM SETUP on main menu. Then, to INSTALLATION and go to update. There you can choose the time of day you want the update to happen. Others have mentioned that one does not have to have daily updates. So, I'm going to try that since I'm going to be gone for a week.
revscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:49 AM   #17
TUDrewser

I talked to the tech guys at Dish tonight and they said while they can't officially suggest it, if you set a daily manual timer from say 3am to 11:59pm the Dish will never go into standby mode as long as a timer is "on". He also said that no activity in 3-6 hours of time will cause the receiver to go in to the "press select to continue" mode. Seems like having a 20 hour fake recording will keep the receiver awake, then Tivo can do its thing. They also said that even if a timer is going, you can still change channels, and therefore Tivo should still be able to change channels. Plus, setting a timer will "wake" the receiver up when it comes on. I'm trying it tonight...bummed that I missed tonights episode of Alias!!!!
TUDrewser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 10:34 PM   #18
bruceniven

Questions about the timer fixes

Has anyone tried the 20-hour timer? e.g from 3am-1159pm. Does this limit anything else e.g. watching on the 2nd TV while recording on TiVo? And does the 20hr timer stay live even if the channel is changed?

Does the start time need to be after the daily call ends?

Does anyone know how long the daily call takes? what's a safe amount of time to wait?

Thanks all
Peace.
bruceniven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:20 AM   #19
mdhorwitz

Smile Thanks!

Just wanted to say thank you for everyone's input on this board. I freaked out when, after my first night of Dish service, I realized TiVo had recorded nothing but the "press select to continue" screen. But after trying the VCR timer workaround, I haven't have any problems. I just put a daily hour long VCR timer on my system at 5am, again at 10 am, again at 5pm and have had no trouble since then.
Thank you so much!
(You also saved Dish from an earful from me)
mdhorwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:14 PM   #20
TUDrewser

This is a late reply, but setting the timer has worked perfectly. I have two Tivo's both recording off dish and I set the timer on both. Since my last post, I haven't had a single issue with the "press select to continue" screen. FYI, Dish was no help other than they helped me understand how the system worked and why the message was being displayed. When I asked them if the timer would work, there was silence for a few seconds and then, "well, I suppose that may actually work". Thanks for the brilliant ideas, Dish. But it's working like a charm now!
TUDrewser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:04 PM   #21
wkirke

Does the VCR timer cause the channel to change? If so, then what happens if TiVo is trying to record a 4 hour long show and the timer occurs in the middle of it? Will that timer change the channel without TiVo realizing it?

Similarly, what does the 322's restart after an update do if it occurs in the middle of a 4 hour TiVo recording? Would TiVo just lose the signal for 30 seconds or so while the 322 reboots?

Thanks,
-Bill Kirke
I'm considering DISH, and glad I found this thread before I have equipment installed!
wkirke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:09 PM   #22
cbbyers

This screensaver issue almost makes the 322 shlock. My 322 was installed last Friday and I've recorded several hours of that stupid bouncing logo. It's almost as if Dish secretly uses this annoyance as a way to promote the sales of their DVR based receivers. I'm not here to sell a conspiracy theory, so enough of that. I have tried all of the suggestions to keep the evil screensaver from appearing and only one of them is working for me.

I rescheduled the daily update for 0445 hours and setup a VCR timer from 0500 hours - 0430 hours the next day. The long timer is to combat the screensaver mode that comes on if the receiver has been idle on the same channel for too long -- I think the threshold is 4 hours. Occasionally my Tivo gets to rest for 4+ hours and the screensaver has enabled on each occasion.

I picked 0445-0500 because my Tivo is never doing anything at this time. The screensaver is only on for a short period of time between 0445 and 0500 after the daily call and the 23.5 hour VCR timer seems to eliminate the screensaver idle issue.

The VCR timer does change the channel and will cause Tivo to record the wrong channel, so you'll want to schedule a start time when your Tivo is idle. I tried another one of the suggestions, which was to schedule a timer for 0500, 1000 & 1500, but my Tivo is working during those hours and I ended up recording the wrong channel.

I think the best suggestion thus far is the 23.5 hour VCR timer. It is working great for me so far.
cbbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:06 PM   #23
dolphan

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, and TiVo. I'm having this same problem. I was horrified when I learned I had recorded nothing but the "select to continue" screen. How do I set the timer in the DISH box for the 20 hours or so like I read above. Please excuse my ignorance, as I said I'm new to all this stuff. I have the DISH box with one regular plug in and one radio controlled second remote. I don't have any recording capabilities in the box...only my TiVo, so I'm wondering what timer am I setting in DISH, and how do I do this. Does anyone have a walk through. Thanks to all for help and previous posts.

-Dolphan
dolphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:14 PM   #24
aus1ander
schmoopy

I have a 311, not a 322, but if there are any differences, and you have your manual handy, just look up "timers" in the index. Basically, if you hit "Menu" on your 322 remote, there should be a choice for "timers" in the main menu. you can then set the timer from there.

the way the timers were orginally meant to work (pre-DVR) was to tune your tuner to the correct channel and start the record button on your VCR through IR reflection. so, basically, all a timer does is tune your tuner to the stated channel. it does not record anything inherently.
aus1ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #25
dolphan

Thanks!

That was really helpful. I turned off the updates (I'm going to do it weekly) and then I also set the timer from 3:15am to 2:45am. hopefully between doing both these steps I'll not see that screen again. It really was a silly thing for them to do when designing these. Anyway....thanks again, and have a safe and happy 4th to all!

-Dolphan
dolphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:56 AM   #26
dpc10@pitt.edu

FIX for DISH 322 Going to Standby Mode

The most elegant solution to this problem, which removes the basic problem, i.e., the automatic call that DISH makes to update its program info, is as follows:

On Dish Remote press Menu 6 1 6
i.e., Menu, System Setup, Installation, Updates
Now you can disable the daily updates.
Keep Dish Receiver always on.
(useless information: if turned off it will update.)

Notes:
1. The DISH receiver will not be "current" on the programming, but who cares as your TIVO box will. Now your DISH receiver will NEVER make a night call that interferes with your recording late night stuff. To be safe, press the AUX swith on the DISH remote, or store it out of sight.
2. I believe that DISH deliberately did this to force customers to use their recorder box (how many customers have this level of technical skill). I have a 600 dollar Toshiba TIVO box that I did not want to junk in favor of an inferior product from DISH. When I called DISH service I was told that DISH and TIVO were incompatible. Not true.
3. Any one interested in starting a class action suit against DISH for all the customers who were forced, by misinformation, to abandon their exisiting TIVO boxe in favor of one from DISH? I can provide technical support.

Good luck with your late night recordings,

dpc10@pitt.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:59 PM   #27
jcgearhart
All Thumbs

Regarding The Class Action Suit against Dish, I had a different theory as to the daily scheduled update and 4.99/mo. fee for the absence of a phone hookup. Dish is uploading viewing info to be sold to marketers,,,,, etc. And the enticing package offered with the 322 includes the user agreement with a continuous phone line connection. Do they care so deeply that you have a program schedule updated nightly that they will charge you for not keeping it current? THAT is grounds for a Class Action Lawsuit.
jcgearhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:08 PM   #28
gwilley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc10@pitt.edu
The most elegant solution to this problem, which removes the basic problem, i.e., the automatic call that DISH makes to update its program info, is as follows:

Notes:
1. The DISH receiver will not be "current" on the programming, but who cares as your TIVO box will. Now your DISH receiver will NEVER make a night call that interferes with your recording late night stuff. To be safe, press the AUX swith on the DISH remote, or store it out of sight.
2. I believe that DISH deliberately did this to force customers to use their recorder box (how many customers have this level of technical skill). I have a 600 dollar Toshiba TIVO box that I did not want to junk in favor of an inferior product from DISH. When I called DISH service I was told that DISH and TIVO were incompatible. Not true.
3. Any one interested in starting a class action suit against DISH for all the customers who were forced, by misinformation, to abandon their exisiting TIVO boxe in favor of one from DISH? I can provide technical support.

I've tried the solution of a 23 hour VCR timer on my Dish 322 receiver. It woke up the receiver at 4:30am after the 4:00am update call but but by 11:00am the damn screen saver was back on and I recorded the screen saver on all recordings the rest of the day.

So the 23 hour VCR timer doesn't seem to keep the screen saver from coming on. Maybe I have to auto tune it every so often, but that really screws up recording. I now officially hate Dish too, and I've only had it a week!
gwilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #29
ajhalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc10@pitt.edu

Notes:

When I specifically asked I too was told that I could not use my TIVO with DISH but can. I was xtremely upset because I had to get the 522 to use their DVR which is horrible. (Boo for DISH for lying) But am forced to use it because of the bouncing logo. I am going to try what you suggest and hopefully it will work.

Thank you!!!!
ajhalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #30
cedarrapidsboy

Have TiVO send "Select" IR code

Is TiVO willing to modify their IR routines to add the "Select" command before all channel changes (for the 322)? It seems "Select" simply brings up the channel identification when not at the screensaver.

I use the 23 hour timer trick... and it works fine, except for the odd 2:00 AM recording.
cedarrapidsboy is offline   Reply With Quote