TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #151
ivo

Re: DVD burning issues/suggestions

Quote:
Originally posted by cjblack
I've encountered a problem with the Toshiba unit where I am able to burn two 1hr High Quality shows to a DVD, but I am unable to burn a 59min and a 1hr1min show to a DVD. The odd show lengths are because of ABC's wacky new tactic of giving strange runtimes to their primetime shows, presumable just to f*** up DVR users!

When I tried to burn the last 2 weeks of Alias to a DVD (one episode being :59, and 1 episode being 1:01) at High Quality, at first everything went fine. Actually, everything was fine until the disc was 99% completed. Then a message came up apologizing and saying the DVR miscalculated and ran out of space. The disc was ruined and it is unwatchable.

Is this a bug/glitch? Has anyone else encountered this issue? Tivo, if you're reading this, can you please consider allowing users to at least chop off the first/last few minutes of a show to fit it on a DVD? I'm not asking for full editing functionality, but at least let us crop a minute off the beginning or end.

Damn you, ABC, and your wacked out runtimes!

p.s. I used a Memorex DVD, not sure if that matters.
I was thinking about your situation and came up with this: what if you go to recording options and pick for the program to record 30 seconds or a minute later (which you can do), maybe that way you can record it onto the dvd. You would miss the "previously on Alias" bit, but would have the show itself... Maybe it's worth a try.

Good luck! Hope it works.
ivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 06:14 AM   #152
lordrichter

Re: rx-ts60

Quote:
Originally posted by koji71
I love my ts-60, I have had it for about 6 months and have burned around 50 DVD's with it. Now I have a problem....I bought a spindle of 8X DVD's and I have gotten 3 burn failures using them. The ts-60 is only a 4X burner....I assumed that, just like CD's, they would only burn at the maximum speed of the machine. A super small warning label on the side of the spindle says something about a new 8X standard that might not work in certain drives etc......

Has anyone else had this kind of a problem?
I use Memorex 8x DVD-R discs in my TX-20 with no problems.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #153
koji71

thanks for the help, I just tried memorex 8X disks also....no luck.

I have firmware 1.15 installed, I believe that is the latest update. I don't really know what to do next, I am getting really tired of spending money on disks I can't use. I guess a call to toshiba is in order.

Again thanks for the reply

Gil
koji71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:54 AM   #154
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by koji71
thanks for the help, I just tried memorex 8X disks also....no luck.

I have firmware 1.15 installed, I believe that is the latest update. I don't really know what to do next, I am getting really tired of spending money on disks I can't use. I guess a call to toshiba is in order.

Again thanks for the reply

Gil
Let us know what they say...
Old 02-10-2005, 09:41 PM   #155
JBot

Hello everybody

Well here I am. Thought I would join up having just purchased my RX-TS20 on Sunday and got it home 1 hour before the big game. I live in the Boston area so am a big Pats fan. Thought I'd have just enough time to set it up - boy was I ever naively optimistic. But actually I was almost there until I had to download the programming. That finished 15 minutes before kickoff and I thought I was good to go, that was until I got the message saying it will now take 4 - 8 hours to process the information, ugh. Why does that take so long? Anyway I figured out how to get it to record in the meantime but it was on Channel 2 (PBS) so I had to keep changing the channel every hour when that program was finished. The end result wasn't that bad though as I got the entire game broken up in segments. This has proved somewhat helpful as I will explain later.

Only a few minor hitches so far with the setup and I've been able to figure them out. I only found this forum the next day but I've gotten a bunch of questions answered so thank you all.

A few things I found out. One, I use the serial port to connect to my Comcast box and that works great for changing channels. Also when recording to DVD it will show how much % of the DVD the program will take up. Really cool! If you select more footage then will fit on 1 DVD it will tell you that you will need more discs. It will also break up the content into parts (eg Part1, Part2) and you can record which ever part you want first. My only complaint is that after recording one part it doesn't prompt you for another disk. You have to go back to the menu and the steps to record and then select Part 2 to record (assuming you recording Part 1 first). Not a big deal but a little more work.

Also I saw someone complain about not being able to eject the DVD from the remote. Well there is an option on the menu that can be selected for both eject and close. Both worked for me.

So far I'm liking this although I didn't like the fact that the $100 rebate only applies if you get the $12.99/mon TiVo plus. I already spend over $100/mon on my Comcast bill and my roomate kicks in another $50. Then $600 for the TX20 and now more fees - oiy! Well I guess that's life in the 21 century. Makes me kind of nastagic for the old days when I paid 0 dollars for TV reception...well not really.

Next project will be to setup a WiFi to avoid having that 50' phone cord running across the room and down the hall.

Great to know this forum exists.
ttyl
JBot

p.s. - funny thing about the spell check, it didn't know what DVD was
JBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:27 AM   #156
lordrichter

Welcome to the TiVolution!

The reason that it takes time to process the information is that it has just downloaded the list of upcoming programs and it needs to create indexes.

Wow. $150/mo Comcast bill. I thought my $80/mo to Charter was bad! Whew!
Old 02-11-2005, 05:20 PM   #157
koji71

rs-tx 60 and 8X dvd

i just go an email reply that says, "some customers report success with 8X disk, but, the recomened speed is 2X and 4X" What crap!! Do they expect us to buy only 4X disks, until the supply runs out? Then what? If they don't come up with a solution soon, I am gonna sell this thing on ebay. I hate to do that because I paid for the life time subscription and I really like the unit.

more to come (i hope)
Old 02-11-2005, 06:12 PM   #158
lordrichter

According to the highly trained professional sales people at Best Buy, the "8x" DVD is equivalent to saying "1x-8x"...

Take it for what it is worth...
Old 02-13-2005, 12:55 AM   #159
JBot

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrichter
Welcome to the TiVolution!

The reason that it takes time to process the information is that it has just downloaded the list of upcoming programs and it needs to create indexes.

Wow. $150/mo Comcast bill. I thought my $80/mo to Charter was bad! Whew!
I should clarify that by saying $110 is my TV portion and the rest is for Internet. It's still a lot of money though.

But I must say I'm starting to like this TiVo thang. I was a bit apprehensive at first but now tonight I have 3 movies setup to record overnight at 2, 5 and 8am. I've been paying good money for all these movie channels for years and rarely took the time to setup my VCR to record them or watch because I would either miss all or part of them. And setting up the VCR was a hassle. But with TiVo (as you all know) you just find the show and hit record (I think select will also do it). It's so simple! I'm lovin' it.

ttyl
JBot
JBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #160
djdawson

Well, after doing some research, talking to my brother who has a TX20, and stewing over the prospects for a while, I bit the bullet and ordered a TX60 from BuyDig yesterday for $499 (plus $35 for 2-3 day shipping). It's on its way, so I'm almost "in the club". I can hardly wait...
Old 02-15-2005, 04:00 PM   #161
kelder539

JBot... cable???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBot
I should clarify that by saying $110 is my TV portion and the rest is for Internet. It's still a lot of money though.

But I must say I'm starting to like this TiVo thang. I was a bit apprehensive at first but now tonight I have 3 movies setup to record overnight at 2, 5 and 8am. I've been paying good money for all these movie channels for years and rarely took the time to setup my VCR to record them or watch because I would either miss all or part of them. And setting up the VCR was a hassle. But with TiVo (as you all know) you just find the show and hit record (I think select will also do it). It's so simple! I'm lovin' it.

ttyl
JBot

Wow!!! Even if you get the EVERYTHING package on Dish Network, it only costs you around $80 a month (that includes all premium channels [except adult]). Now if you add the HDTV package, that only adds 9.99/month, so that still saves you money. What I did was I got rid of my regular phone line and DSL (since I had cellular already) and ordered cable internet and I have the top 180 package from DISH and my total for my cell phone, cable internet, and dish is still less than your total amount. I dunno if dish is an option for you, but, it sure saved me money, and it is a lot clearer than cable.
kelder539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:37 AM   #162
CleveSynth

DVD burning fails

I'm new to this forum, but I haven't seen this question posted. I bought a Toshiba RS-TX60 in January, and it's been working great until yesterday. I've burned dozens of DVD-Rs in the unit. But yesterday (on 3 different attempts on different programs) the unit failed to record the DVD. It seemed to go through the process, and seemed to complete, but then there was an error "recording failed because of internal error." I have not changed types of disks (still coming out of the same spindle.) nor have I done anything different about recording.

The Toshiba support site and manual are no help at all. Has anyone else had this problem? I know that the unit is still in warranty (I haven't even gotten my rebate yet!), but if there is a user troubleshooting thing I can do, I'd rather not give the unit up for [n] days or weeks to be in service.

Thanks
CleveSynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:26 AM   #163
lordrichter

Unplug the TiVo, wait a few minutes, plug it back in. If this does not correct the problem, call Toshiba before you warranty runs out.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:00 PM   #164
jluros

Not-So-Secret Ethernet Dial prefix

Quote:
Next problem is when my unit arrives, will I be able to just hook it up to my network hub and go for it??? I ordered a Linksys USB100TX Network Adapter Ethernet to USB $17.98 with shipping included off Ebay.
I currently have for my network a Linksys G wireless hub (with 4 wired connection spots, one of which I am planning on plugging into the USB100TX). So, what is my solution? Do I just plug it in and it will work???
I have heard about a secret code that is supposed to make the unit just plug and play into a broadband network. How come all these companies dont just put ethernet into their products??? I have been suggesting to Dish Network and VOOM to put them in their product for those of us who have gone away from a landline phone.
The secret code is to put ,#401 (PAUSE ENTER 4 0 1) as the dialing prefix. I have the same Linksys adapter and same no-landline situation. It works great!

Jason
jluros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:01 PM   #165
koji71

failed saves

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveSynth
I'm new to this forum, but I haven't seen this question posted. I bought a Toshiba RS-TX60 in January, and it's been working great until yesterday. I've burned dozens of DVD-Rs in the unit. But yesterday (on 3 different attempts on different programs) the unit failed to record the DVD. It seemed to go through the process, and seemed to complete, but then there was an error "recording failed because of internal error." I have not changed types of disks (still coming out of the same spindle.) nor have I done anything different about recording.

The Toshiba support site and manual are no help at all. Has anyone else had this problem? I know that the unit is still in warranty (I haven't even gotten my rebate yet!), but if there is a user troubleshooting thing I can do, I'd rather not give the unit up for [n] days or weeks to be in service.

Thanks

OK, sounds like you are having the same problem as I am. I thought it was because of 8x disks, it is not.....I burned at least 25 8x disks without fail...... For a while I was able to reuse the DVD-R disk because the error was occuring before any info was written. I unpluged the unit for about 20 minutes and the next save attempt almost made it to the end before it failed. I even tried a head cleaner (no luck). EMailing Toshiba was been worthless (see other posts). Let us know if you find anything out.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:33 AM   #166
sbrownfield

Red face Toshiba users please help...

Who better to ask then tivo users who use this box every day!

I am trying to decide on getting a Tivo unit. I think have decided on the Toshiba TX20. I think the only difference between the toshibas is the 120 hours or the 160 hours. Is that correct?

Also (these questions may seem stupid), Can you transfer video tapes that you have previously recorded onto a DVD and DVD's that you have rented can you copy those onto DVD? And last one. I have Comcast cable with On Demand, is there a way to record shows/movies that are on demand onto DVD?

I also was wondering since I don't have a land line phone to connect it to at all times that you can hook it up to your internet right? I have high speed internet but the only thing is is that it is about 30 feet from my tv. Anyone know of anything to do in this situation?

Just trying to figure out if this is gonna work before I spend the dough.

Thanks,

Steph
sbrownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:34 PM   #167
stigray

Unfortunately, there's no way of transferring/copying video from a DVD to the Toshiba's hard drive. However, it may be possible to transfer from a tape to DVD. My guess would be to hook up a VCR to the inputs on the back of the Toshiba. As far as recording from Comcast's on demand list, someone stated that it is possible, but you would have to do it by manually recording it. Haven't attempted it yet so dont know what is exactly involved, but it is possible.
stigray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:13 AM   #168
raiderTIVO

New User with Netgear WG111

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluros
The secret code is to put ,#401 (PAUSE ENTER 4 0 1) as the dialing prefix. I have the same Linksys adapter and same no-landline situation. It works great!

Jason
Is there a secret code for the Netgear wg111? it's on the approved list, but when i attach it, it does not recognize the wireless adapter?

Any help?

Thanks.
raiderTIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:02 PM   #169
koji71

DVD burn failed

OK, I called customer support......."you must use 4X disks, but, occasionally 8x disks will work", this is the standard answer cuz I got the same one via email. So, I unplugged the unit and went to work. When I got home from work, guess what????? 4x and 8x disks worked again. So much for customer support. My only guess is that some power flux confused the computer and it needed to be reset. How much time does it take, I am not sure as mine was off for about 9.5 hours.

Thanks all, for the help
Old 02-28-2005, 12:02 AM   #170
Chad
TiVo User Since 2000

I've had my RS-TX60 for just over two months now, and well...my sig pretty much sums up my feelings.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #171
Jake978

New Toshiba TX20 owner

I've had my Toshiba TX20 for about a month, I some what happy with it. Although I'm a little displeased with the Picture Quality restrictions since I was hoping to get a full Football game with High Quality on one DVD, instead I'll have to use 2, Oh Well!

My Question: What modification programs, if any, will work with my DVD Toshiba TX20 Series 2 system? I'm not, I'll repeat NOT looking to over-ride my paid subscription, just gain enhancements to my system. Example can I get Weather?, Sports? etc.

Last edited by Jake978 : 03-01-2005 at 02:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Jake978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:16 PM   #172
rrman

I've had an old, trusty Series 1 TiVo for a few years now, but I wanted the latest & greatest Series 2 features (and I couldn't bear to wait for the cable version of a high-def Tivo). Thus, I got a Toshiba RS-TX20 and a USB200M Ethernet adapter.

Question - is the Toshiba's USB port USB 1.1 or 2.0? The Toshiba manual and spec sheet didn't say the version of USB. I figured it won't hurt to have gotten the USB200M.

Thanks.
rrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:56 PM   #173
billinj

Thumbs up New RS-TX60 owner, back to lovin TiVo

Had tivo with directv for years. Changed over to cable and was missing tivo badly. Cable has a dvr system with very rudimentary programming, a poor imitator. Bought my Tx-60 from BuyDig (Great Retailer), and am happy camper again. Problem using Voip line, but after start up and network connection finally all is well. Have not noticed picture degradation, maybe signal strength is a factor. Will watch boards for any advice or bugs but so far, a good investment. Thanks for listening.
billinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #174
andydbrown50

USB 1.x
andydbrown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:45 PM   #175
rrman

Other threads seem to indicate that most TiVo Series 2 boxes have USB 2.x ports, although the USB driver to take advantage of USB 2.x isn't available until newer versions of TiVo software (e.g. 7.1). I emailed Toshiba customer support to ask what version the USB ports are in the RS-TX20, but I got a reply back saying that they didn't know and it doesn't matter. I replied back telling them what the difference was between USB 1.x and 2.x and indicated that it does matter if you have a 100 Ethernet network. Let's see if they reply back....
rrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:46 PM   #176
irregularjoe

Newbie here

Greetings.
I'm a first time Tivo user and this looks like a good place to learn the system.
I just set up my birthday present from my S.O.
It's a Toshiba RS TX60. So far, so good!
I have some questions though.
As you know it comes with Basic Tivo. I read about the options available in the Plus (Real) Tivo. Are they really worth the monthly expense?
I would be interested in setting up a home network and using Tivo multi room viewing and it looks like that's only available with Plus. Would I have to have TWO paid subsciptions to do that?
Also it seems kind of odd that a $600 unit only has a single tuner. What's the best way to be able to record and watch different programs at the same time using Tivo features on both channels?
When I first set up the unit I thought that maybe I could use the DVD recorder with my computer. Is there a way to connect a computer to it so that I could burn DVDs from computer files?

Well that's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.
Thanks
Joe
irregularjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 PM   #177
mpgaddis

New Toshiba tx20 user with question

Hi everyone, I feel totally lame with the questions I'm going to ask but I'm really frustrated. I have my TX20 hooked up to a JVC receiver, JVC VCR, Toshiba Cinema series 65" wide screen, 5 speakers and an HD cable box from Comcast. There are 2 things I can't seem to make happen even if I follow their directions perfectly (which none of them have good directions when using a home theater system).

First, when I try to record one channel and watch another, the recording switches to the channel I switch to. I even tried the standby mode thing and switching on my remote from DVD (which is where the TX20 is hocked up to) over to HD colorstream which is my tv channels. I also wonder what you would do if you have a season pass and you're watching tv, how would the season pass record if you're on another channel. It records whatever I'm watching.

Second problem I ran into was I tried to put my vhs tape into the vcr to record to the TX20 dvd. I tried even running composite cables in front direct from the DVR to the VCR and I kept getting No Signal showing on screen.

Am I just retarded or has anyone else had this type of problem?

Other than that I love this unit.

Thanks
mpgaddis
mpgaddis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:24 PM   #178
GiFFtech

Video quality?

I'm considering buying the RS-TX60. I have seen no comments regarding the video quality of a burned DVD on this unit. I had noticed that someone didn't like the quality on the Humax but what about this unit? Is it good, poor, acceptable? VCD quality? DiVx quality? I'd love to find out. Has anyone compared the dvd quality to tivo2go? Any thoughts there?
GiFFtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:36 PM   #179
ROB-USA

DVD Picture Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiFFtech
I'm considering buying the RS-TX60. I have seen no comments regarding the video quality of a burned DVD on this unit. I had noticed that someone didn't like the quality on the Humax but what about this unit? Is it good, poor, acceptable? VCD quality? DiVx quality? I'd love to find out. Has anyone compared the dvd quality to tivo2go? Any thoughts there?
I've had the RS-TX20 model (same, but smaller capacity) for just about a month. I have already burned at least 50 DVDs at the highest quality setting ( 1 disk per hour of recording) with no problems whatsoever. I'd rate the picture quality as very good to excellent.

Just a heads-up... the TiVO/DVD recorder units are not currently getting TiVOtoGo TTG) software updates/functionality. Consequently, there is no current way to edit your saved programs that you are intending to burn (save) to DVD.

I'm very happy with the quality and functionality of the Toshiba unit. If you can live without the TTG (for now), I think you'll like it too.
ROB-USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:29 AM   #180
jamster

RSTX60 Info

Hello All!

I am interested in the Toshiba RS-TX60. As a newbie to TIVO can anyone tell me what interface this unit uses to communicate with TIVO for updates, etc. phone line? USB? any network options? I have checked all specs but no reference to the above mentioned ports. Is there a pdf manual I could refer to?

How is the setup?

How does this unit compare with the Pioneer DVR810HS?
jamster is offline   Reply With Quote