TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-16-2005, 01:25 AM   #451
nsayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsayer
I've found out about ,#211. My hope is that by wiring up the DTiVo to a USB-to-serial adapter on my mac, I should be able to run

pppd /dev/cu.usbserial0 115200 maxfail 0 persist proxyarp myipaddress:addressfortivo
This was pretty close to the final answer.

The command I've used is

pppd /dev/tty.usbserial0 115200 myip:tivoip proxyarp persist maxfail 0 local passive

The 'local' option is required because the cable is a simple 3 wire one, so all of the modem control signals must be ignored.

The 'passive' option tells pppd to just sit there and wait for the TiVo to initiate the connection rather than repeatedly send LCP startup packets.

But in order for the mac to route the packets, you must also enable IP forwarding. Type

sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

I still may actually go with an external modem as the final solution. If I take my laptop anywhere, I have to unhook the TiVo. I suppose that isn't a huge deal - I can always just plug the TiVo's USB adapter in, set up pppd and force the daily call once in a while.

Last edited by nsayer : 02-16-2005 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Add 'passive' option
nsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:35 PM   #452
weflyrc

So here I am again!

Ok. Cable came in today via 9thtee to work with Serial port and connect to my pc. Cost a whopping $7.95 plus shipping and got it the next day via UPS (thanks Kevin for the info). Connected it up like one of the old archive link from this site said, and it will now make test calls like nobody's business. PERFECT. However it will still not complete a daily call. It will get right up to the negotiating part and then give me a failed to negotiate message. What do I need to look at at this point? I have tried various speeds, but still no dice. I know I am close. Thanks to all that have helped so far. This cable is the way to go.

Jim
weflyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:37 AM   #453
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Did you set an IP range and turn off your firewall?
Old 02-17-2005, 12:26 PM   #454
radarmile

Question

Quote:

The command I've used is

pppd /dev/tty.usbserial0 115200 myip:tivoip proxyarp persist maxfail 0 local passive

The 'local' option is required because the cable is a simple 3 wire one, so all of the modem control signals must be ignored.

The 'passive' option tells pppd to just sit there and wait for the TiVo to initiate the connection rather than repeatedly send LCP startup packets.

But in order for the mac to route the packets, you must also enable IP forwarding. Type

I still may actually go with an external modem as the final solution. If I take my laptop anywhere, I have to unhook the TiVo. I suppose that isn't a huge deal - I can always just plug the TiVo's USB adapter in, set up pppd and force the daily call once in a while.
I have an iMac always on in my network. I also have 2 dtivo's (HDVR2). Is there a way to connect both to the router or a hub so they could call whenever they need to? I have read through most of the threads on this topic and no one seems to have addressed multiple tivos and ppp.
radarmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:45 PM   #455
nsayer

If the two DTiVos are near the imac, then use two USB-serial adapters and run pppd twice.
nsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:31 AM   #456
Tusk

Quote:

The command I've used is

nsayer,

Is this funtionality built in standard? Should I be able to use my serial to usb adaptor, plug it into the mac, open a terminal and type the two commands above without adding any 3rd-party software?

Also, how do I determine myip and tivoip

Thanks
Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:41 AM   #457
Psychoderelict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk
nsayer,

Is this funtionality built in standard? Should I be able to use my serial to usb adaptor, plug it into the mac, open a terminal and type the two commands above without adding any 3rd-party software?

Also, how do I determine myip and tivoip

Thanks
This post should explain how to do it on OS X 10.3.x. pppd is built in to OS X on a Mac. No software to install.
Psychoderelict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #458
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoderelict
This post should explain how to do it on OS X 10.3.x. pppd is built in to OS X on a Mac. No software to install.
Thanks, that's just what I needed. I am switching to Vonage, and I had only seen info relating to Windoze machines.

Will try it this weekend.
Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:30 PM   #459
shesth1
Terri

Red face A little info please

[quote=GDN]FWIW - I've posted in this thread about the ease I've had with Vonage. Something happened on Jan 6 and both of my Tivo's quit dialing out. After reading - I've updated them both to have the 718 area code (I'm in Dallas - area code 972). I'm using NO dialing codes and I did not put the "1" in for long distance. I selected the Manhattan number from the list from the 718 numbers. Everything is perfect again - calls to download numbers were good and I've made 5 calls between the 2 machines in the last 2 days.

Hi,
I was attempting to try this and I ran into a problem, I have not been able to get the vonage service to work to dial the tivo service, so when I try to change the dialing options, the tivo tries to make the call to down load the 718 phone numbers, (which I actually got and wrote down from a second tivo connected to a land line) But I don't know how to bypass the initial call and just change the phone number under "change dialing options"
Thanks in advance for helping a really dim - newbie
shesth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:10 PM   #460
yellogt

The Vonage support had a clever idea... Since you can't dial out to get a list of numbers, put the new number you want to dial in the dial prefix. It'll only accept the first 10 numbers you dial.

So that'll mean that people should post the whole # that they have success, as opposed to the "First 718 number."

I've had success in the past with 718-987-5137. Vonage told me to put in the dial prefix 1-212-920-3005. Another New York number that they have a higher rate of success with.

You could also put in *99,1-212-920-3005 The *99 will put it in the fax mode, which is the highest quality, despite your settings.

BTW - I've been 0 for 1,000 since mid-January.

I spent 75 minutes on the phone with Vonage. He set packetization from 10, to 20, to 30. It seems like 30 is the best for me. He also set a fax codes switch on the line properties. Whatever that means.

He also said every customer is unique. Packetization of 10 might work for someone, while 30 might work for another.

DSL filters: I disconnected mine (In the back of the TiVo, and my connection rate sucks now. Put it back in, and I connect, but still fail in Negotiation.

I'm going to keep trying different numbers of what people post until I get something to go through.

Other numbers I know of are: 1-732-817-9100, 1-732-798-0012 (This one worked in the past)

Good luck to all.
yellogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:03 PM   #461
cditty

I am happy to report that I was able to complete a call using the method above. I failed with the 212 number, but it completed after 3 tries on the 718 number. YIPPPEE

Thanks yellogt
Old 02-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #462
HC1Gunner

Still Can't Connect

Well after buying an external serial fax modem, and buying a serial cable 1/8" round to 9DB, I still can't make a sucessful call. Using an external modem just says the same thing "Can't Connect". This was suppose to be the solve all solution by using external serial modem, I gald I got this stuff off ebay (NIB) and did pay much. I think I read some where that once you plug in the serial cable, the internal modem is automatically disabled?

I've tried using all different kinds of area codes, none of them have worked, and I used a ton of different prefixes, and turned "detect dial tone" off, none of this stuff works. Its been 40 days since my tive unit has made a sucessful call in. On top of it everyone that I talk to says they say they hear them sleves echoing. I waiting for over an hour on hold twice this week with voange and never got helped. I have sent them 15 emails in the last two weeks, and none of them have been replied to, very...very poor customer service. I think they bitten off more customers than they can chew, BTW iahve had my vocie quality set to all 3 settings, and the echo is there on each setting, presently using the highest setting.
HC1Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:29 PM   #463
cditty

Did you try the method in the post directly above mine? Worked like a charm for me. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post2634692
Old 02-28-2005, 09:55 PM   #464
HC1Gunner

[quote=

Until they turn on the USB ports and let us connect that way, I'd say the PPP route is the best way to go.[/QUOTE]

Best thing you can do is call and complain to DTV, because DTV told me until enough people call in, they won't activate or enable the USB ports. USB ports would solve all our problems.

I have a Hughes SD-DVR80 and it doesnt matter what area code, or prefix or phone ssttings I use, it wont dial in. I bought a NIB creative serial modem with a tivo serial cable 1/8" jack out, and 9DB serial in on back of modem, and its still trying touse my units internal modem. I thought I read some where on forums that one you plug into the serial jack on the back of a unit, its suppose to disable the internal modem? For all I know hughes has elected to not evern hook up the serial port, and its as useless as the USB ports. Morons at DTV just get busy, I'm sure it take some engineer/porgrammer 30 minutes to write code to activate the USB ports.

The real reason I think they have not activated the USB ports is...they dont want you downloading TiVo files (movies & TV shows) to your hard drive, allowing you to burn them to DVD. yes you can hack your unit and probably do this, but then your warranty is void.

Last edited by HC1Gunner : 03-02-2005 at 05:41 AM.
HC1Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:03 PM   #465
jmhays

Heck, I'll void my warranty!! How do I do use the USB port to burn some shows to DVD?
jmhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 09:16 PM   #466
salikiji

I spent 4 hours yesterday messing with my series 1 DTivo (DSR6000), no joy dialing in. Spent 90 minutes with a Vonage tech today, he changed my packet length from 20 to 10 to 30 ms, also changed the waveform from sinusoidal to trapezoidal (says that this is standard for data/fax setups). The only thing that allowed me to dial out was when he turned off echo suppression, which is OK for data but bad for voice.

He did say that every situation is different in regards to packet length. He said *99 tells the modem to override any quality setting and set it to maximum (which was redundant in my case as I already had mine set to maximum). Also the wiring in the house can have an impact and wanted me to run a cable directly to the router (unfortunately this would be about a 100 foot run and I don't have a cable that long at the moment).

He also said that Vonage has a team of people working on this issue. I suppose AT&T advertising that they have fax/data/Tivo capabilities on their VoIP service would be a factor there.

Me, I'm off to examine my wiring to the Tivo jack (most of my wiring is new CAT 3) and will play with the idea of using a phone number in the Dialing Prefix field, but most of my experience was that the unit could not even make a connection which kind of points to signal quality.

Last edited by salikiji : 03-20-2005 at 07:08 PM.
salikiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:37 PM   #467
Don_Corneo

Arrow Serial cable

For the people using the serial cable, I believe no matter how new your unit is or the brand, you must use ,#319 for the unit to dial an external modem via the serial cable. The serial jack on the unit is not like a headphone jack: When you plug the serial cable into the jack it does not disable the internal modem simply by "breaking the connection" to the internal modem.

Last edited by Don_Corneo : 03-20-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Don_Corneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:39 PM   #468
Todd
Stig Twins are Here!

I just got Vonage and am trying to get my HDTiVo to work with it. I've tried all kinds of combinations so far but to no avail. If I listen in while it tries, how come most of the time I get a fast busy right after TiVo picks up the phone?

"Money is fungible, no?" - Turtleboy
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:04 PM   #469
Todd
Stig Twins are Here!

Well, I got it to work, intermittently at least! I just put 17189875137 as the dial prefix. *99 seemed to mess it up. Bizarre...

"Money is fungible, no?" - Turtleboy
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:06 PM   #470
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Corneo
For the people using the serial cable, I believe no matter how new your unit is or the brand, you must use ,#319 for the unit to dial an external modem via the serial cable. The serial jack on the unit is not like a headphone jack: When you plug the serial cable into the jack it does not disable the internal modem simple by "breaking the connection" to the internal modem.
If you are using the serial connection then the prefix starts with a "2". I would guess that "3" is for an external modem, 2 different beasts.

A word on port speeds: If you didn't use 115,200 as the maximum port speed, you need to change the Tivo's prefix. ",#211" assumes 115,200. The "11" part of that is the port speed. So if you used 19,200, say, that should become ",#219". Or if you used 9600, that should be ",#296". The last two digits of the prefix string are the same as the first two digits of the port speed you use. It doesn't support anything higher than 115,200, however.

The internal modem doesn't matter, since you don't have a phone jack plugged in any way.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:08 PM   #471
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
Well, I got it to work, intermittently at least! I just put 17189875137 as the dial prefix. *99 seemed to mess it up. Bizarre...
If you have your QOS set to the highest on your dashboard, then *99 won't really do anything. You got the fast busy because you didn't use ,*99. The comma is the difference.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:08 PM   #472
spepi

I bought the Null Modem Cable from 9th Tee
Using a USB to serial converter cable.

I have tried everything possible. I followed
a link I for How to setup Tivo 3.0 to talk to Windows XP via Serial PPP

It dials fine, but never connects....I am at a total loss..can anyone give me some tips.
Things I have done.
Verified all settings
Changed mdmhayes.inf
tried all different speeds, along with the ,#2xx to go along with the different speeds.
Enabled guest account
used my account
disabled local fiewall
disabled linksys firewall
tried static IPs in connection out of my DHCP range, in my DHCP range
Used DHCP
tried changing COM ports
added static IP to my DMZ

I see garbage in the Hyperterminal, but not what the link tells me I should see.

I have WInXP Home
connecting Via Wireless to linksys

Thanks to anyone that can help me
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #473
Don_Corneo

The ,#319 is not for connection speed, it is simply the command to tell the unit to bypass the internal modem and use an external one via the serial jack.
Don_Corneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:57 PM   #474
salikiji

Big Grin

woo hoo, I'm able to dial out! I did two things:

examined all of my wiring to the Tivo, found a run of non-CAT wiring in the basement, replaced the entire run from the 66 block with CAT 3 wire (I have two large boxes of it).

I noticed that the dial tone doesn't appear right away (I think I'm hearing a set of Voice Mail tones before the dial tone), so I set the Call Waiting code to ",,," , which should insert a 6 second pause before dialing. I was able to dial out twice in a row and did my daily download/upload.

Final settings for my Series 1 DSR6000:

local phone number

Dial out prefix: #034,

Call Waiting prefix: ,,,

Phone Available: off

Wait for Dial Tone: off
salikiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:04 PM   #475
abfleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
I use the above number for the dial prefix and worked great. Thanks from IL

AJ
abfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:45 PM   #476
spepi

Do you think if I conected a seperat eline from my PAP2 line 2 directly to the DirecTivo..it will dial?
I would think this port 2 is enabled.....
Old 03-21-2005, 08:29 PM   #477
cactus46

Hi spepi,

Send a copy of your modem log to me via PM. Be patient and we can probably work through this.

For a test, I would disable all of the com ports and modems that do not relate to the serial to PPP for a test.

Also, reviewing this thread may be helpful: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=191812

You may want to move over to that thread.

Keep us posted and good luck.

John
cactus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:12 PM   #478
spepi

Cactus,
I just moved back to MA from PHX. I lived in Surprise off of Litchfield Rd. Well, Im at work, my wife thinks I am a geek, but before I void the warranty....I KNOW I can get this thing working.
Quick Breakdown.
laptop, USB to Serial cable, Null modem cable from 9th Tee, internal modem(not disabled)changed my mdmhayes.inf, deleted .pnf, rebooted. I cant even get connected.
Once I get home tonight, I will try a few things if my wife lets me. Once I get a fresh MDMHAYES.INF and edited..I will try again.

Also, great posts in that link you sent me.
I will be back in touch. back to work I go.

spepi
Old 03-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #479
PRMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Corneo
The ,#319 is not for connection speed, it is simply the command to tell the unit to bypass the internal modem and use an external one via the serial jack.
At 19,200... ,#328 would try at 28.8.
R.I.P.
PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:13 PM   #480
tivoROCKSme

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilondelta

I am really sincere here in being ignorant of the workings of VoIP, but I would hate to see folks get rid of their land line, only to find that DTV suddenly "cares" about the agreement they signed.

epsilondelta
I think they better change their language, because my Vonage service comes into the house via cable modem which uses a copper wire, it's just a different copper wire than the phone company would use. It's still a land based line, I think they better have their attorney's change their verbiage if they want to start "caring"