TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2005, 10:06 AM   #211
Soulstealer

Hello. I'm new here. I just set up my Tivo Series2 (40 hour) yesterday and I can't connect it to my wireless network.

I used a phone line, got it all configured first, and then I tried to get it connected to my wireless network. I'm using a D-Link DWL-122 and trying to connect to a D-Link DI-614+ router. The USB device isn't new. I've used it before with my laptop and it worked.

When I tried to set it up, Tivo changed the firmware on the wireless USB device to work with Tivo, which I assume is normal. When I go into the Wireless Settings, Tivo sees my network, and allows me to click on it to set up the WEP. And yet, when I try to test the network connection, I get, "Failed. Wireless network not found."

Why is it seeing the network in Settings, but not in Test? What am I doing wrong?
Soulstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:51 AM   #212
VanGoghLikesTivo

Signal

Does TiVo show a signal strength for your network on the settings/network area? Does TiVo work on the network if security is disabled?
VanGoghLikesTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:25 PM   #213
Soulstealer

Thank you, VanGogh! There was no signal strength showing on the Tivo. I figured the router must be too far away. So I moved it RIGHT NEXT TO the Tivo and plugged it in. Still no signal strength. In fact, the DWL-122 was blinking, trying to find a network. So, I'm thinking the DWL-122 itself is broken. *sigh*
Old 01-22-2005, 07:28 AM   #214
simsbotv

Re: Wireless Adapter Version

Quote:
Originally posted by wantwireless
I am trying to find a wireless adapter that will work with my Tivo.
I compared all of the adapters on the list that are supposed to work with Tivo and selected either the DWL 120 or the WUSB11.
Both of these require a certain version.
How do you tell what version you are buying when trying to order on line?
None of the websites seem to state a version.
I went to Staples and the version was not found until the sales rep opened the cellophane wrap with his pocket knife ( kudos to a good sales rep)...and pulled out the CD which stated the version...which was 4.0 on a Linksys...so it was unuseable....outer box didn't show the version...so I haven't bought one yet...good luck, shopping
Old 01-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #215
Soulstealer

Well, I went out today and picked up another D-Link DWL-122 and tried it with my Tivo. I still can't get onto my network. I even tried taking off encryption, and still nothing.

It sees my network. It just says Signal: (None). Even if the router is right next to the Tivo. I really just don't know what to do now.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:37 PM   #216
AndyWooZ32

Re: Re: Wireless Adapter Version

Quote:
Originally posted by simsbotv
I went to Staples and the version was not found until the sales rep opened the cellophane wrap with his pocket knife ( kudos to a good sales rep)...and pulled out the CD which stated the version...which was 4.0 on a Linksys...so it was unuseable....outer box didn't show the version...so I haven't bought one yet...good luck, shopping
Ditto. I returned my DWL-G120 back to Best Buy... looked around Best Buy (and asked them) to find a unit that was on the 'compatible' list. Unfortunately, none in stock and many were discontinued.

Went over to Staples.... saw three WUSB11's on the shelf. Looked at all three. No indicators about software version. Took the one with the lowest MAC address, took it home. Disabled wireless on my computer. Hooked it up to my computer and installed drivers onto computer, configured the WUSB11 with the SSID and WEP key. Worked fine on my PC. Disconnected it. Connected it to the TIVO (540 series, 5.3 software) ... and BINGO. It worked. Just needed to follow the instructions in the book on how to set things up (really it was able ensuring that it was using DHCP, re-entered the WEP key, and it detected my wireless network, so I selected that.

EUREKA. Both my static noise, and trying to get wireless working on TIVO... is finally resolved.

I would recommend people check out there BestBuy, Frys, CompUSA, Staples, OfficeMax to just get the 'B' adaptor that works (based on the recommended list) and give up on the 'G'. One day, in the future, G will work, and we will grumble and be unhappy that we paid for the 'B' for a short time.

For me, it was worth it, because my closest phone jack is two rooms away, and I haven't heard/seen anyone get ANY G adaptor to work.

Wasn't worth the headache to keep trying for me.

Good luck all !!!

Thanks,

Andy

P.S. There are still two more WUSB11's at the Staples where I picked mine up in Campbell, CA if you happen to be in the area :-)

Funny... BestBuy guys said "ugh... Tivo", when I returned my DWL-G120 and asked them to find one of the 'compatible wireless adapters ' from my list. They tried their best. But seems like a lot of people are coming in, trying and returning wireless adaptors at Best Buy.
AndyWooZ32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:51 PM   #217
Soulstealer

Update: I called Tivo about the problem I'm having getting this DWL-122 to connect to my network. After a half an hour, their suggestion was to try another brand of adapter.

I am not a happy customer.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:02 PM   #218
TrinSF

Re: Re: Hopeless

Quote:
Originally posted by ccwf
The adapter currently being sold at the TiVo Store works with all current Series2 models.
Oh, that would explain why a friend was told by Tivo support to go buy a different brand of adapter, because the one he had (and even bought a brand new one of, just in case the first one was faulty) wasn't working with the Tivo, even though it's the recommended adapter.

At this point, I'm confused about what "recommended adapter" means, in this context. Tivo sells it, Tivo claims it works, but if when one has problems, Tivo says, (and I'm quoting here) "some people have problems with that adapter. Maybe you should try a different one."

This, by the way, is about the D-Link DWL-122.
TrinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:49 AM   #219
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Re: Re: Hopeless

Quote:
Originally posted by TrinSF
Oh, that would explain why a friend was told by Tivo support to go buy a different brand of adapter, because the one he had (and even bought a brand new one of, just in case the first one was faulty) wasn't working with the Tivo, even though it's the recommended adapter.
I was wrong. The adapter TiVo is currently selling doesn't work with the older units.
Quote:
At this point, I'm confused about what "recommended adapter" means, in this context. Tivo sells it, Tivo claims it works, but if when one has problems, Tivo says, (and I'm quoting here) "some people have problems with that adapter. Maybe you should try a different one."

This, by the way, is about the D-Link DWL-122.
It means that those adapters have been tested by TiVo and don't have the WUSB11 problem where you need a particular model but don't know which one you'll get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:50 PM   #220
johda06

Thanks to all in this message thread and others.

I have Two series 2 boxes both wirelessly connected using D-Link DWl-122 USB adapters to a Linksys Wrt54G router. Everything works great including Photo's and music. Transferring shows between boxes works fine also but is VERY SLOW a 1 hour show can take about 4 hours to transfer. When I read about the TiviToGo availability, I decided to upgrade the connections for better speed.

On box 1 i use the Linksys USB200M connecter ($30 Best Buy) and a Linksys WGA54G game adapter($99 Best Buy). Configured DHCP to the wirless network. Installed and working in about 2 minutes. Rather than pay another $100 for a second game adapter, I simply used anouther USB200M on my second box, and a 25' ethernet CAT5e cable to connect the second Tivo box to my wirless router (WRT54G).
I now get real time transfer of shows without interruption (wait a couple of minutes when transfer intiated to FF through those pesky commercials). It's a little bit expensive but it WORKS!!
johda06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:56 PM   #221
emcme

linksys wireless adapter identification

I noticed in the thread that people had the same issue as I did we purchased the lincksys usb adapter and it did work with the series 2 tivo .. the version of the Linksys aadapter can be found on the outside ov the box on the bottom ( narrow part ) right hand corner .. I accidentally purchased a V4 adpater and the box did specify that it was a version 4 .. once I returned it I found a version 2.8 and it works great

hope it helps
emcme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #222
meyerweb

Quote:
Originally posted by frobey
Well, I must say, that getting a wireless adapter to work properly on a Tivo has not been a very fun experience...first I bought a Linksys WUSB11 that wasn't a V2.6 or V2.8. I returned it and bought an SMC 2662W that apparently isn't a v.2 since my Tivo doesn't recognize it. I have 4.01b on my Series2 so I don't think that's the problem.

Frank
I've concluded that TiVo, as a concept, is brilliant. TiVo as a service is very good. TiVo hardware is ok, but certainly not brilliant. And TiVo customer support is among the worst in the consumer arena. I'm not talking about the "answer the phone" kind of support, I'm talking about supporting the product with upgrades so that we can actually use it the way it's intended.

I have a 240 series TiVo with an SMC 2662W that works just fine. I went out today and bought a new 2662W to use with my new 540 series. The TiVo doesn't even recognize there's a device attached. I tried hooking up the new 2662 to my old TiVo: same thing, the TiVo doesn't even know it's there.

I've checked MicroCenter, CompUSA, Circuit City, Best Buy, Office Depot and Staples, and this 2662W is the ONLY supposedly supported wireless network card I can find locally. Most of the cards on TiVo's list are obsolete, having been replaced with newer models, but TiVo can't be bothered to provide updated drivers to support current devices. What a crock of ****. They're touting their TiVo-to-Go service as if it were the second coming, but they're going to have a lot of screaming customers when people discover they can't even buy the network components necessary to make it work.

If Dell provided the level of support that TiVo does, it would still be a tiny niche player selling PC boxes out of an apartement somewhere. If TiVo can't get it's act together, it never will be profitable. I guess I'm going to have to mail order the DWL-122, since it seems to be the one device that's still available that is relatively certain to work on a series 2. But I'll be damned if I'm going to order it from TiVo, and reward them for their incompetence.
meyerweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:37 AM   #223
joeDC

Success

Got a linksys usb12 hooked up to my new toshiba unit and I am golden. No problems whatsoever. This was my third attempt with a third wna. signal strength is not great but it works.
joeDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:12 PM   #224
Vlad D

Let me first start by saying I'm a total newbie to TiVo. Only had it for about two weeks now. So far its been great!

I also have the Linksys WUSB12 wireless compact USB adapter. It works fine, but I had trouble with it. At first, the TiVo box would recognize my network but couldn't connect. It kept telling me DHCP failed. It also told me the WEP key was incorrect. Finally I broadcast SSID and disabled the WEP encryption and then it worked fine. I haven't had a chance since then to tinker with it but I'll play with it this weekend. Don't like the idea of my home network open like that.
Vlad D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 01:27 PM   #225
pjwpa2

I have a Series 2 Tivo with the latest version software and have just ordered a DWL 122 Wireless Compact USB Adaptor from the Tivo store. I have been reading the questions and answers on wireless adapters and would just like to confirm that all I need is the above adapter plugged into the USB port on the Tivo to start setting up my network. Any answers welcome!
pjwpa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:32 PM   #226
jreese

Same problem with the DWL-122

I'm having the same problem many people seem to be having with their DWL-122 -- my TiVo simply doesn't connect to it. The worst part is, it seems to pick up the network -- it's found the Network Name. But I simply can't get it to connect. I don't know what to do. I've talked to TiVo support several times, and the best they've come up with is the always-helpful "unplug everything, then replug everything" method. Incredibly, that didn't work. I moved my router to right near my TiVo (no fun task) and I'm going to hardline it from the router into the TiVo using an ethernet/USB connector. Hopefully, that will eliminate the problem. But if anyone else has any suggestions, i'd love to read them...

BTW, I didn't install any drivers on my computer from the DWL-122 CD b/c I'm running an SMC card that seems to be working fine. Do I need to do this?

Thanks...
jreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:13 PM   #227
TGtoys

Same problem with the DWL-122

I have had the same problem with both the DWL-122 and the Linksys WUSB11 V3.

Unless I disabled WEP, it would recognize my adapter for less than a minute then it would become "undetected".

When I called TiVo support, the support rep said they're using the DWL-122 in-house. I didn't think to ask if they have WEP enabled.

I love the rest of the features provided by TiVo, but setting up the network has been a nightmare!
TGtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:36 PM   #228
jreese

how do disable WEP?

I appreciate your note -- can you walk me through the process (slowly -- I'm a total beginner) of how to disable WEP? Hopefully that will help...

Thanks,

Joel
jreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:58 AM   #229
ru8h1

WIFI Issues

Ok, I bought a 240 series TiVo this weekend, took it to a friends and did the guided setup. I then took it home and plugged in my DWL 122 wireless USB adapter. Going to a linksys wrt54g Access Point. I can set it up, enter a WEP key, SSID, etc.. and it even gets an IP address which I can ping from another machine. I do a test connection and it works fine, no problem. When I try to connect to TIVO service, it errors out on connecting. It sits there for a few minutes and in paren's it says configuring and eventually errors out and says error configuring. I have not successfully connected since the initial guided setup.

Side note, I did the initial guided setup and it sat there and did the 2 calls and downloads, but when it said let the thing sit there for 4-6 hours, I didnít have time, so I didnít let it do that. Everything works fine on the box. I can view TV, record, view program info, even set up a few season passes. But the dang wireless wonít connect to the tivo service.

I initially though it might be something with a firewall, but I donít think that is it. O, BTW, TIVO, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, setup support for WPA. Having to use WEP is just as bad as leaving my wireless wide open for anybody to get into. I can break a 40-bit WEP key in under 3 minutes with less than a 30 minute packet dump. A tangent I know, but if you don't support WPA, you might as well not support WEP. WEP is very flawed and should be banished.

Needless to say, I have the WRT54G setup with 128bit WEP encryption, MAC filtering and the firewall is disabled on the AP for now to ensure it is not causing problems.

Now on the other side, I have a NetGear Router/SPI (stateful packet inspection) firewall and outside that is my cable modem. So the TIVO has to go through my Access Point, to my firewall/router to my cable modem. Now I talked to TIVO support last night and they gave me 2 TCP ports and 1 UDP port that the TIVO communicates on.(cant remember them off the top of my head) But I donít think that is the issue because I believe the firewall will allow any inbound connections that are initiated by an internal host.

So back to the issue that I have seen in these forums. It is like stabbing in the dark. Now, I donít know which version of TIVO software I am at, but I will check that later and repost. I guess Iím just wondering if anybody else has a similar setup and was able to get the box to connect successfully, because at this point, Iím ready to take the thing back to Best Buy and say to hell with TIVO. Iím not even going to touch on the mistake that TIVO has made, but the trend is people dumping home phones for cell phones, they should realize this.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated. Suggestions, guidance, personal experiences/ordeals.
ru8h1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:59 AM   #230
ru8h1

O, a few more things. I have not tried disabling security features on the access point yet. That is on my list. I want to turn off MAC filtering and WEP and see if that makes a difference. I will re-post after I have done this.
ru8h1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:43 AM   #231
TGtoys

I was having consistent trouble with either the DWL-122 or the Linksys WUSB11 v3 (both of which are supposed to work) until I disabled WEP. Then, it worked fine. I was not using MAC filtering. I tried both 64-bit and 128-bit WEP - neither worked.

Now, I have a USB-to-Ethernet adapter (the Linksys USB200M) connected to a D-Link wireless adapter designed for connecting games to wireless (the DWL-G730AP). The D-Link adapter is configured when connected to your PC, and I have re-enabled WEP. It has worked fine for the past week. So far as the TiVo knows, it's on a wired connection.

I hope TiVo is listening - I am NOT a happy customer when I think about the MANY hours and loads of extra $ getting to this solution cost me.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:58 AM   #232
TGtoys

how to disable WEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreese
I appreciate your note -- can you walk me through the process (slowly -- I'm a total beginner) of how to disable WEP? Hopefully that will help...

Thanks,

Joel
This depends on so many factors I'm not sure how to answer without knowing the particulars of your setup.

One thing to be sure of (this may be too obvious, but just in case...) if you disable WEP on the wireless adapter on your TiVo you also need to disable it on the rest of your wireless system.

My network has a cable modem connected to a D-Link wireless router, a DI-524. I have a D-Link range extender that boosts the signal power in the rest of my house. I had initially set up the TiVo with a DWL-122. All of these parts need to have a consistent security setup to be able to talk to each other.

Look for instructions that use words like "security", "wireless settings", and/or "encryption" along with a "key" or "password" to find where you can enable/disable WEP or other security features. On the TiVo itself, these are part of the Wireless Settings in the Phone & Network Setup area.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:15 PM   #233
axelrod

Getting Tivo to recognize D-Link DI-624 wireless router

I have been having issues trying to get my tivo to recognize my wireless network (using a DI-624 router and DWL-122 network adapter) and I found many similar problems and questions here but not many solutions so I wanted to post what worked for me.

I had similar issues to others here in that tivo could see the SSID but claimed not to find the network. Also frustrating is that I could see other networks (live in a large condo building) and even connect to some of them, but not my own (yes I could use someone else's technically, but then what did I buy this equipment for and I want the added functionality).

In short, all I did was lower the transfer rate on the router ("TX" in the Advanced>Performance tab) to 2 Mbps. This allowed Tivo to recognize the network. Made a connection and then raised the transfer to 11Mbps. And now it works great. This may not solve all problems, but it might help a few people.

Good luck.

...j
axelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:44 AM   #234
RoscoPSK

AirPort Express and DWL-122

I've seen mention of similar problems, but I haven't found a solution yet.

I have a new Series 2 tivo (Software 7.1a), and a DWL-122, and I can't it to connect with my AirPort Express base station.

I've tried it with 128-bit WEP, 40-bit WEP, and without any security. The TiVo is able to find the network name all the time, which is some indication that the adapter is working. No matter what the settings are on the base station or TiVo, though (I've tried turning off the 802.11g on the AirPort so it's only at 802.11b now; adjusting the multicast rate; changing the passwords to be 13 or 5 characters, then entering them in hexidecimal), it always fails at the same step--saying that the network could not be found.

Any ideas, or know what else I could try?

Thanks!
RoscoPSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:56 AM   #235
RoscoPSK

Some additional information I meant to include...

The TiVo updated the firmware on the DWL-122 when I first plugged it in.
I can connect to a peer-to-peer network with my powerbook, so this would seem to mean that the D-link is working, right?

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2005, 11:32 PM   #236
RoscoPSK

Well, I seem to have fixed it. For those interested, I got it to work by turning off WEP, dropping it down to only 802.11b, and setting a specific wireless channel (8, although I bet that doesn't matter).

Once that worked, I added everything back in (back to 802.11b/g, any chanel, and 128-bit WEP). So, as others have found out, the best way seems to be to make it as simple as possible, get it to connect and find your network, then add in the other complications (security) that you want...
Old 02-18-2005, 11:34 AM   #237
seventy

Question about "signal strength"

My Settings page shows me that my signal strength (with my recently installed approved Linksys wireless adapter) ranges between 20% ("poor") and 22% ("marginal"). Repositioning the base station can get me as high as 50% ("good"). Despite this, I see no difference in picture or music quality using Home Media Option, or in system response at the various reported signal levels.

What gives ?
seventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:27 PM   #238
rscheidt

Never done this before so here goes. I do not have a home network but would like to connect the computer to the tivo media setup. Please simply tell me what I need at the computer and what I need at tivo. A brand name and number would be very helpful for a simple purchase at tivo store or best buy. Went to best buy today and it was hopeless to figure out what equipment is needed. Thanks
rscheidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:20 AM   #239
TGtoys

Re: Getting Tivo to recognize D-Link DI-624 wireless router

Changing the transmit speed sounded like a really creative and hopeful idea, so I reconfigured my system with the DWL-122. I tried a variety of speeds on my DI-524 router, and it seemed to almost get linked in but never quite got there, or didn't stay connected.

I tried some "sniffer" software I downloaded but it didn't work with my network card in my computer. Does anyone know of some good utilities that detect what's going on? I suspect that the TiVo is not able to complete some part of the sequence necessary to get associated with the access point, and the problem is timing-dependent. (Since I've had the same problems with two different brands of adapter, I'm inclined to blame TiVo rather than the adapters.)

I'm back to my more complex/expensive solution (USB to wired Ethernet, Ethernet to Wireless client adapter), but since I seem to be stuck with the DWL-122 I'd like to find a solution that works with it, if possible (all this debugging caused me to miss the 14-day return policy from the online retailer) .

Thanks for any ideas!

Last edited by TGtoys : 02-20-2005 at 01:21 AM. Reason: title missing
Old 02-20-2005, 01:31 AM   #240
TGtoys

Re: Question about "signal strength"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventy
My Settings page shows me that my signal strength (with my recently installed approved Linksys wireless adapter) ranges between 20% ("poor") and 22% ("marginal"). Repositioning the base station can get me as high as 50% ("good"). Despite this, I see no difference in picture or music quality using Home Media Option, or in system response at the various reported signal levels.

What gives ?
The wireless network detects if some of its communication gets garbled, and resends until it goes through correctly. At lower signal strengths, the TiVo will have to resend more data than if you have a better signal. You'll get the same data (and so the same picture/music) but it may take a little longer to get there. The difference in timing is not necessarily something that a person would notice -- we're talking about differences in the micro- and millisecond range, typically. If you're sending a lot of data, you might start to detect a difference. If you're down to 20-22% you're more at risk of losing the connection if some interference happens along. In my house, I had a problem with my neighbor's 2.4 GHz cordless phone, and with the microwave oven. I wasn't able to move the base station, so I got a "range extender", and my signal is typically in the 80-100% range. Hope this helps.