TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2005, 08:35 AM   #421
tivobernd

Try to get the list of dialin numbers a couple of times... that calls goes out to a 800 number and sometimes doesn't work for me either... So set the areacode to 718, let it try a couple of times and then pick any number of the list and give it a shot...
Old 01-29-2005, 02:24 PM   #422
Kash76
Live TV?

I can't get past "dialing" with any combo of codes on either my RCA 40GB or my Sat-T60

Does this mean that my line is really bad?

I find it interesting that people with Moto adapters have better luck than those of us with Linksys.

RCA Series 2 DirecTiVo
Sony SAT-T60 DirecTiVo
Philips DSR6000R DirecTiVo HACKED --> 106 hours!
Lifetime TiVo Sub!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:11 PM   #423
steveken

Don't think that people with motorola's are better off. I have one and I could NOT get the damn thing to work. I just went out to Radio Shack and made myself a cable like OLdDog and super dave put up on the boards and it worked!!!!!!!! I am soooooo happy!!!!! It had been forever since I had a good dial and it WORKED!!!! Stop screwin around with the damn dialing over the VoIP connection and go get yourself this Serial to PPP thing working!! Its soooooo easy to do!
steveken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:07 PM   #424
Provb3110

Quote:
Originally posted by tivobernd
Try to get the list of dialin numbers a couple of times... that calls goes out to a 800 number and sometimes doesn't work for me either... So set the areacode to 718, let it try a couple of times and then pick any number of the list and give it a shot...
At first I was getting the other error message. Then, when I tried using the 718 area code, I would get Line Busy. No one was on the phone. The only extension is in my room for the time being. Then, I plugged up the telephone and the line, was indeed occupied. I am not sure why that happened. I got it to hang up and tried again 4 more times and the same thing happened.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Provb3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:10 PM   #425
Kash76
Live TV?

I was getting the same results. Still not working for me even after they set my packet stuff to .1. The first time after that I got to negotiating and it quit. Haven't gotten back to that point

RCA Series 2 DirecTiVo
Sony SAT-T60 DirecTiVo
Lifetime TiVo Sub!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:03 AM   #426
tivobernd

All your results make me wonder if the Cisco ATA-186 is somehow 'better' in dealing with the TiVo modems... I guess I should start taking really good care of that thing so it doesn't die and get replaced by Vonage with more 'modern' technology...
The only other advise I have is going the serial/external modem route... If you have an old external modem (I would recomment 9600 baud or slower) laying around and are able to solder a cable it should only cost a few bucks....
I did that as well - but haven't needed it in over a year - back then I had trouble dialing out on vonage...
Old 01-30-2005, 08:59 AM   #427
Kash76
Live TV?

I have ordered one of the kits off of eBay. We'll see. I get some benefit from Vonage but I don't like all of this messing around to make it work.

RCA Series 2 DirecTiVo
Sony SAT-T60 DirecTiVo
Lifetime TiVo Sub!

Old 01-30-2005, 10:51 AM   #428
rgfcpq

Re: Could this be a simple solution?

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman23
After tons of research on trying to get my Directv Tivo to dial out on a Vonage line I tried this and it worked! Maybe you guys can try it and have the same success as I did. Takes a couple of tries but it does update.

In the area code, section on the phone setup change area code to 877 and dialing prefix to ,#034. Make a test call (mine took two tries) and then try the manual update (mine took two tries as well). Make sure in the Vonage setup you have your call quality set to 90k, otherwise I don't think it would work.

Good luck and hope it works for you too!
I just tried this approach but changed it to ,#019 and got it to work flawlessly over vonage as wired throughout my home (I also did the *99 thing on the call waiting disable number and have a dsl filter connected to my dtivo). The only odd thing is that on the test call it came back and added a message to messages list saying that there are new phone numbers and that I should reset it shortly as the number I have is about to be changed/disconnected. It didn't say which number -- the old one I had or the new 877 number. I wonder if they are disconnecting it -- which would frankly be a DISASTER -- as this is the only way I have gotten to work.

Thanks for the advice -- let's hope it stays active!
rgfcpq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #429
steveken

Ok, maybe someone can explain this to me. Why do you folks keep trying to get the DirecTiVo to dial out over vonage or packet8 or whatever when you can do it via the serial port on the back of your computer and the serial port on the TiVo itself? With all of the aggrivations you people are going through, it does not make a lick of sense to keep doing it through dialing. The cable you can make or buy will work flawlessly with the instructions that are available on this very forum as well as take the time to do any connections or downloading down to mere seconds.

Please explain to me why you are making this far harder than it has to be???!!!! It just does NOT make sense.
steveken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:52 PM   #430
clydesam28

great, i have a philips tivo series 1 and has looked on different forums trying to get my tivo to connect using voip service lingo.Nothing worked until I tried the,#019. I even called the tivo customer support and they told me no way too work with tivo 1 series. I also have a replaytv and got it too work with lingo by slowing down the modem. Replaytv has an easier way too slow it down. Thanks again.

Last edited by clydesam28 : 01-30-2005 at 03:01 PM.
clydesam28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:06 PM   #431
jabroni

Quote:
Originally posted by steveken
Ok, maybe someone can explain this to me. Why do you folks keep trying to get the DirecTiVo to dial out over vonage or packet8 or whatever when you can do it via the serial port on the back of your computer and the serial port on the TiVo itself? With all of the aggrivations you people are going through, it does not make a lick of sense to keep doing it through dialing. The cable you can make or buy will work flawlessly with the instructions that are available on this very forum as well as take the time to do any connections or downloading down to mere seconds.

Please explain to me why you are making this far harder than it has to be???!!!! It just does NOT make sense.
Sure. I will make three serial cables, buy three computers, buy three more wireless adapters and then I am all set.

Your so called "easy solution" will never make it past the aesthetics committe.

Not everyone wants to have computers and cables laying all around their TV's, Tivo's and cables....
Old 01-31-2005, 07:43 AM   #432
scottt
Macintosh Guru

Success! I had been trying for a while to get my HDVR2 to dial in (T60 works fine with the slowdown code) but no luck.

Finally gave up and took the unit to my parents to use their land line. I heard people had luck with 212 numbers (since Vonage is out of NJ I think). So I grabbed a Manhattan #. Took it back home, and with the reverse DSL filter (left over from a failed dial in attempt) it is working!!!!!

Yeah! finally no more @$@#$!@#$ nag screen and the wife can order PPV (yep, it's making the DTV call in as well).
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:56 AM   #433
unixadm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jabroni
Sure. I will make three serial cables, buy three computers, buy three more wireless adapters and then I am all set.

Your so called "easy solution" will never make it past the aesthetics committe.

Not everyone wants to have computers and cables laying all around their TV's, Tivo's and cables....
I agree that it might not work for everyone, but you don't need 3 computers. You need 1 computer with 3 serial connections. Most PC's have 2 built in Serial connections and you can use a USB-Serial adapter for the 3rd (or an add on serial port card).

I have all my equipment in a basement closet and use video distribution to give all TV's access to all TiVos sp adding a PC down there worked perfeclty for m.

I took an old 550Mhz computer, threw an old 20GB drive into it and added a $15 wireless card (on sale from Fry's....I could have also just ran an ethernet cable down to it, but for the cheap price, it was worth it). I put on Windows XP on it and set it to accept PPP over Serial. I put the PC in the basement closet with No monitor and it works perfectly. I had two cables I was able to put together and purchased the 3rd from 9th Tee.

I have wireless keyboard and mouse connected and will be throwing in an old video card that has S-Video output. At that point, I will be able to connect to my TV and access the Internet, my MP3's etc via wireless keyboard.

Total cost for me was about $35 and no more nag screens, fast access to software downloads, etc....and hopefully a Home Theater PC in the future.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:13 PM   #434
Bombavern

Solution?

I empathize with those of you still struggling, I spent 3 hours tonight and 2 other nights over the last month trying to get a test call out. In reading all 23 pages of this thread and trying at least 25 different configurations, I believe I found one that works for me. If I have learned anything from these threads, its that there is no 'one size fits all' solution. Each box has its own issues.

I live in Indy, so I figured the 317 area codes would work. It wasnt until I went toll free (877) after reading a post about rural numbers that I was able to successfully get outbound. Dont ask me why, but I could make calls to the number directory but never the test line or the daily call. After I set the number to the 877 number, I changed to the fax line preset of *99 and was able to make a successful test call and update!

From reading these posts, it seems that many people have gotten a live connection only to have their hopes dashed months later. I hope that does not happen but will not be surprised. If you are still having issues trying the 877 number with *99 as a test, even if you live in a city.

Thanks for all the posts, it gave me takes I would have never speculated on my own.
Bombavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:18 PM   #435
yamato72

I've got 2 HDVR2s, one hacked & still running 3.1.1c, the other unhacked and running 3.1.1e. The latter will connect about 30% of the time over Vonage using:

877 area code
,#034

The hacked box absolutely will not make a successful test call with those same settings BUT claimed to have made a succesful daily call on its own this afternoon with no intervention from me, all default settings (local number and no prefixes). My tests were with Vonage at 50k instead of 90 and I have never bothered calling them to adjust my packet size.

My beloved Tivo's need for a landline was the only reason I put off going to Vonage. I'm so happy with Vonage, though, that I can live with a nag screen. Based on my lengthy (not) testing, the daily call will work but there are so many variables that have to be juuuuust right to make that happen....
yamato72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:17 AM   #436
strange_69

Quote:
Originally posted by unixadm
I agree that it might not work for everyone, but you don't need 3 computers. You need 1 computer with 3 serial connections. Most PC's have 2 built in Serial connections and you can use a USB-Serial adapter for the 3rd (or an add on serial port card).

I have all my equipment in a basement closet and use video distribution to give all TV's access to all TiVos sp adding a PC down there worked perfeclty for m.

I took an old 550Mhz computer, threw an old 20GB drive into it and added a $15 wireless card (on sale from Fry's....I could have also just ran an ethernet cable down to it, but for the cheap price, it was worth it). I put on Windows XP on it and set it to accept PPP over Serial. I put the PC in the basement closet with No monitor and it works perfectly. I had two cables I was able to put together and purchased the 3rd from 9th Tee.

I have wireless keyboard and mouse connected and will be throwing in an old video card that has S-Video output. At that point, I will be able to connect to my TV and access the Internet, my MP3's etc via wireless keyboard.

Total cost for me was about $35 and no more nag screens, fast access to software downloads, etc....and hopefully a Home Theater PC in the future.
unixadm,
I tried to do the Serial PPP hook-up with my computer but I ran into problems when I click "Accept Incoming Connections" while setting up a new connection. It has to deal with "Routing and Remote Access" not running and I cannot turn it on. My question is, how can I go from my DirecTivo Serial connection to a USB connection on my computer? I know that I can set up the hardware but how would I configure the system to work? Thank you, Steve
strange_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:56 PM   #437
newbee_kp

PLEASE HELP -- using wireless VoIP to dial

First of all -- I already try this #019 as prefix from this great post (since I am new will not allow to post URL) but you will know what I am talking about.

didn't try the modem option yet, Just want to mkae sure someone out there used VoIP over wireless high speed connection to make daily call.

My Tivo is Philips model DSR704...

Thanks
KP
newbee_kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:13 AM   #438
HC1Gunner

Quote:
Originally posted by steveken

Well I'm not sure I follow you on using the serial cable, but my PC is located 60' away from where my living room is, and vonage is hooked to al the phone jacks in my house. Just so happens there is a phone jack right behind my entertainment center. Where could I get a 60' serial cable, or could I jsut Cat5 and splice in to the serial connector at both ends. How does it make a call out via the serial cable, I haven't used a serial cable in years, but I'm sure I have one laying around some where. Does it the serial signal go through your mobo and the your NIC and to the router or vonage phone adapter?
I can solve this whole stinking problem, piggy back TiVo signals for updating by using DTV's uplink to their satellite, and there be no stinking reason to have TiVo make a call in. It wpuld all be downloaded via DTV satellite. In the beginning DTV used land line for the same reason, now according to DTV they no longer use a land line, it all comes from their satellite.

Last edited by HC1Gunner : 02-03-2005 at 11:28 PM.
HC1Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 10:15 AM   #439
danguilm

Exclamation Question about changing Vonage modem speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87
This past month I noticed TONS of calls from all three receivers to the DirecTV 800 and 888 numbers. Obviously none of them were connecting and kept trying. Then I remember I lowered by Vonage bandwidth to 30K. I upped it back to 90K and all three made a successful call to DirecTV overnight.

So the moral is to at least check your Vonage bandwidth setting and set it to 90k for a couple days and see if that helps. With your broadband Tivo I don't think you need the slowdown code at all since it only effects the Tivo call anyway.

Could one of you kindly spell out exactly what I need to do to get this darn DTivo to work wiith Vonage? I have no idea how to change the vonage bandwidth - what menu is that in? Also - it seems like some of you have had success with a few other solutions like PPP as well as changing the dialing options (someone said add a "1" to the number - is that ilike ,#1401 or ,#1019, or is it like 1,#019) but I just want the easiest solution to get the darn thing to work. I talked to Level 2 Directv tech support last night and they said that within 60 days that the RGB ports on the back of the tivo will be activated and can be used to call in instead of using a standard phone line. Is this similar to what you guys have done with the adapters and USB port solutions? Lastly, one of you said that all you need is a 28.8 modem - how about the 56k one that is in mt machine - how do I, step by step, make that work to allow the tivo's in other rooms to make calls? You can tell I am confused by all of the proposed soluitions here - please help!!!

Last edited by danguilm : 02-13-2005 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling
danguilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:41 AM   #440
scottt
Macintosh Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by danguilm
I talked to Level 2 Directv tech support last night and they said that within 60 days that the RGB ports on the back of the tivo will be activated and can be used to call in instead of using a standard phone line.
Wow, can't wait for MY RGB ports to be activated. Now, a few things:

Where the heck is the RGB port on my TiVo?

How does a monitor connector (if I can find it on my TiVo) send data to the internet?
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #441
mediaman100

20+ Pages and still no idea how to fix it

I've tried reading every thread, but my head is spinning now. Here is my situation:
New Vonage customer, using Linksys router with phone jacks. Router is connected to the cable modem. I did some reverse wiring to get dial tone through out my house. My first Tivo unit that I recieved in Oct 2004 started acting up. I called it in and Directv sent out a Hughes to replace the Samsung. Both units are not HD. The samsung had worked on the vonage line but now the Hughes doesn't. What can I do to make this work. I tried the varous codes in these pages but with no luck. Thanks in advance.

Newbie in trouble
mediaman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #442
weflyrc

No luck up to this point.

I am sure that the readers of these post get tired of seeing some of the same questions asked, but for us newbies, they are new questions, and we think that we are different in that our situations must be unique, because our "stuff" don't work!! My "stuff" consist of a cable modem provided by our local Road Runner service through Time Warner. The Linksys adapter/router PT31P2 provided by Vonage, and I have a pair of older DSR6000 Tivo boxes that worked flawlessly via my old land line. I have tried using different prefixes to change the modem speeds, different area codes, and various other fixes that I've seen on these forums. I have yet to get a successful test call through Vonage. Is the Tivo to Serial via PPP the way that I should go, or what else should I do? Don't plan on getting rid of Tivo or Vonage, but hate the idea of loading up 2 Tivo boxes and taking them to someones house each month to get updates. Help this idiot if you can. Thanks.
weflyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #443
Kevin L

I struggled getting all my TiVos to work with Vonage. It was very hit and miss (more miss than hit ). I finally set up one with PPP over Serial last week and it works flawlessly. I just have to make or buy cables for the others.

Until they turn on the USB ports and let us connect that way, I'd say the PPP route is the best way to go.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:21 AM   #444
bahopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by weflyrc
I have tried using different prefixes to change the modem speeds, different area codes, and various other fixes that I've seen on these forums. I have yet to get a successful test call through Vonage. Is the Tivo to Serial via PPP the way that I should go, or what else should I do? Don't plan on getting rid of Tivo or Vonage, but hate the idea of loading up 2 Tivo boxes and taking them to someones house each month to get updates. Help this idiot if you can. Thanks.
I was having problems with my new HR10-250 being able to successfully complete the call. Test calls would sometimes work, sometimes not. I finally switched to the 212 area code and now my calls are going through. I read somewhere recently that DirecTv had some problems with dial-ins from the Houston area (where I'm located). I haven't gone back and tried resetting to a local dial-in number.

I will say, it took numerous calls to receive the software upgrade to version "e", but since then, I've had no problems.

Bryan
bahopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:45 AM   #445
weflyrc

Tried that too.

I've tried the 212, the 877, my local 919 and several other area codes as well. Mine comes up "connection failed" when I put in the area codes and try to get it to pull up available numbers to connect with. The best that I have had yet is a busy indication. I did get it once with a local connect number to show that the dialing part completed, but it failed soon after that. I do still have my land line for the time being, so I can access the numbers for each area code if I connect it to find them, but if I try to do it strictly via my vonage line, it never works.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:54 PM   #446
weflyrc

Latest progress

Ok, here is something new. I tried prefixes like ,#219 and ,#214 along with my local dial in number without 1 and the area code and it dialed very quickly, then got to the connecting portion and I got the message "failed. Service not answering". Is this due to the fact that I don't have 1 and the area code added, or is it something else? Thanks.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:37 PM   #447
nsayer

Going to try with my mac

I have a HDVR2 that I am about to try the external modem hack with, but I'd like to explore an easier way....

I've found out about ,#211. My hope is that by wiring up the DTiVo to a USB-to-serial adapter on my mac, I should be able to run

pppd /dev/cu.usbserial0 115200 maxfail 0 persist proxyarp myipaddress:addressfortivo

which should result in my mac more or less being a ppp server available at any time for the tivo.

I'll report back with results.

Last edited by nsayer : 02-15-2005 at 07:03 PM.
nsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #448
cactus46

Hi weflyrc,

If you are trying Dial Prefixes of ,#219 etc, then you are obviously trying to get serial to PPP working? There are lots of threads on getting it working.

If you send me your modem log via PM, perhaps I can give you a few suggestions.

Good luck and keep us posted.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by weflyrc
Ok, here is something new. I tried prefixes like ,#219 and ,#214 along with my local dial in number without 1 and the area code and it dialed very quickly, then got to the connecting portion and I got the message "failed. Service not answering". Is this due to the fact that I don't have 1 and the area code added, or is it something else? Thanks.

cactus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:50 PM   #449
easyshot

Angry Well I think they are playing with my emotions now

Well I am new to the forum but have diligently been following the thread. I have an HR10 which I and many other spent a grand on for a series tivo??? Which makes complete sense???

Anyways since getting vonage and dumping my land line I had my first successful test call in a month of futzing with the blinkin' thing. Using a 212 area code, an external modem kit from weaknees, a 20 feet phone cord strung from my RT31P2 to the external modem (for fear the radoshack phone jack extender was killing me), using the ,#319 prefix, and. . . I even got a a daily call to work.

Now just taking the experiment further, I hooked my radio shack gizmos back up and now it doesn't work.

It boggles my mind that Directv offers a thousand dollar receiver using old technology. Not to mention they don't even foresee that tivo type people would probably lend themselves to a service like vonage and not make there service compatible.

Well hopefully someone got something out of this post and at least I got to vent.

EZ.
easyshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:20 PM   #450
GDN

FWIW - I've posted in this thread about the ease I've had with Vonage. Something happened on Jan 6 and both of my Tivo's quit dialing out. After reading - I've updated them both to have the 718 area code (I'm in Dallas - area code 972). I'm using NO dialing codes and I did not put the "1" in for long distance. I selected the Manhattan number from the list from the 718 numbers. Everything is perfect again - calls to download numbers were good and I've made 5 calls between the 2 machines in the last 2 days.

I've got a Comcast Cable modem Moto 5100, Linksys WRT54G router and a Moto Vonage box behind the router. Setup is pretty simple - I guess I've just been lucky compared to all of the problems I see posted here. I will say that I put the latest Linksys firmware on and had Vonage flash the firmware on their Moto box when all of this started. All of that info and a drawing are posted up near the top of this thread. Good luck to all of you.