TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2005, 12:29 PM   #121
STL-TOM

Hi...I'm new here too...I bought the RS-TX20 a couple of weeks ago and have been playing with it. While I like the TIVO functions (I'm using the 45 day trial) I'm considering buying the Pioneer 810 and giving that a try too.

A few things I don't like about the Toshiba - Record quality on anything lower than high is AWFUL. I have an older (10 year old) Panasonic 27" TV and the picture is HORRIBLE. Since this is my first TIVO, I'm not sure if that's just the way it is when you record on basic but I was hoping the picture would be better.

The second thing I don't like is when I tried to capture video from my camcorder (using composite - camcorder doesn't have firewire). I was expecting a little degradation when I captured the video but it looks bad too...I'm telling the TIVO to record at the BEST setting so I'm not sure what to think.

Perhaps I got a lemon Toshiba - but I really do like TIVO and the way the unit burns shows on DVD's (using titles, etc).

Tom
STL-TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #122
regularguy

Quote:
Originally posted by TivoDaddy
Most people split the cable from the wall and have one split go to the TiVo and the other to your TV. This way you can be recording one show while watching another. This doesn't happen often in our house because there are enough shows queued on the TiVo that it's a rarity that we watch "live TV".

No need to buy a splitter (on the RS-TX20, anyway). The Toshiba has a pass-through coax outlet that gets a regular cable signal into your tv... essentially a built-in splitter.

When hooking up the the Toshiba, we have S-Video carry the TiVo output and a separate coax carries the pass-through analog cable. Works fine for us.

Last edited by regularguy : 01-21-2005 at 08:50 PM.
regularguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:07 PM   #123
SamT

Question Let's try this again!

I'm trying to find a relatively inexpensive, yet good, surge protector for my RS-TX20. Any help would be appreciated!
SamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #124
STL-TOM

SamT,

Probably any basic surge protector would be OK for the unit.

I have mine plugged into a UPS (battery backup). We hardly ever had power outages but if one were to occur during a recording of a show, the battery backup unit would keep the unit recording. You can pick up a UPS for around $40-60 (and more) depending on how much battery backup time you want.

What do you define as inexpensive?

Tom
Old 01-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #125
SamT

Thumbs up

Tom,

I would define inexpensive as less than $100. I would really only like to spend around $50. I currently have my RSTX20 plugged into a $10 Belkin surge protector I got at Wal-Mart several years ago and wondered if that would be sufficient enough. Thanks for your input.

Sam
SamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:17 PM   #126
cjblack

DVD burning issues/suggestions

I've encountered a problem with the Toshiba unit where I am able to burn two 1hr High Quality shows to a DVD, but I am unable to burn a 59min and a 1hr1min show to a DVD. The odd show lengths are because of ABC's wacky new tactic of giving strange runtimes to their primetime shows, presumable just to f*** up DVR users!

When I tried to burn the last 2 weeks of Alias to a DVD (one episode being :59, and 1 episode being 1:01) at High Quality, at first everything went fine. Actually, everything was fine until the disc was 99% completed. Then a message came up apologizing and saying the DVR miscalculated and ran out of space. The disc was ruined and it is unwatchable.

Is this a bug/glitch? Has anyone else encountered this issue? Tivo, if you're reading this, can you please consider allowing users to at least chop off the first/last few minutes of a show to fit it on a DVD? I'm not asking for full editing functionality, but at least let us crop a minute off the beginning or end.

Damn you, ABC, and your wacked out runtimes!

p.s. I used a Memorex DVD, not sure if that matters.
cjblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:02 PM   #127
mxylplik2

Diff between RS-TX20 and 60?

I looked through this thread but couldn't find it - other than hard drive size, is there any difference between the 20 and the 60?

Does the 20 burn at 2x speed and the 60 burn at 4x?

I believe both have a firewire port in the front panel.
mxylplik2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:01 AM   #128
STL-TOM

My 20 burns at 4x...when I first tried burning, it was 1x but after a day or two (probably after the latest update), it started burning at 4x. I think the only difference is hard drive size.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:04 AM   #129
docendo

Note

I have an RS-TX20. Just really got it up and running. Playing with the Basic Tivo for now, will prob upgrade. My first unit, want to archive and get my Dv home movies and older home videos onto dvd, had been doing it on the computer. I want to go wireless but first need to get everything up and running.
I had to rewire my entire system since I bought a new receiver (Sony 897) and Harmony remote (659). Any body know about Bose speakers? I have a set of 5.1 and I wanted to eliminate their base module since I have a separate Subwoofer. I called Bose and they said I really need it for proper sound without distortion. I might try without it.
Anyway it took me a week or so to get everything hooked back up with new cabinetry etc, and I am still playing with the remote, speaker setup, Tivo etc. So it's a work in progress, but I am thankful for all the help available here! GuesS I'm here to stay for awhile!
Old 01-27-2005, 06:23 PM   #130
febtober

Hi all,

Just got an RS-TX20 open box at Worst Buy. No Remote or manual, but it was so cheap, I think they had it priced wrong. Remote is no problem, I have a Harmony 688, but I cannot find a link to the manual anywhere. Can one of you fine people point me in the right direction?

Another question related to HD signal. Does this unit pass HD signal thru to my TV in native format or do I need to run a seperate HD signal to the TV? Manual would probably answer that, too.

Also, if anyone has a spare remote they would like to sell, just in case......

Thanks much!
febtober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:55 PM   #131
rmortis_10

DVD Stuck

I have a problem with my Toshiba....I put in a regular DVD today and as soon as the drive closed "live" TV frozen....the LCD display said the DVD was Loading...however after about 5 minutes I went to eject the DVD...and nothing happened...I then tried to power down the unit...but it wouldn't. I eventually had to pull the plug.

Now the problems begin... It won't boot. It does the standard start up but after sitting on the "only a few more minutes screen" for about 3 minutes, it starts the process over in an endless loop.

Please Help. I saw another thread by someone else with the exact same problem however, no replies.

I had the same proble, this forum saved me mucho time and frustration. Called Tivo, they said to Call Toshiba. Toshiba = closed. Tried the hold the eject button trick and it WORKED. The DVD came out, and it booted up just fine (after sitting in a loop for several hours before DVD eject button trick).

I just held down the open / close button from the second I plugged it in, until the tray popped open (finally) ~ 2 to 3 minutes from plug in.

Thanks to ALL!!!
rmortis_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:06 PM   #132
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

Mysterious Harmony/Tivo List function

Tivo old timers and those of you who have Harmony Remotes may have discovered the List function. This function can be assigned to any button. When selected this function takes you immediately to the Now Playing Menu. Very convenient! Most of you won't see this on your regular Tivo remote. Our Sony SVR2000 has it and I guess that is how we learned of it. On modern Tivo boxes it is not on the remote, but if you have a harmony you can still program it.

Except it doesn't work on my TX RS60! The Harmony lets me set it up, but when you push the button . . . . nothing. Any of you other Harmony heads seen this issue?

We have two other Tivos (yes I said two, for a total of three) and both of them work with the List function. The aforementioned Sony SVR2000 and the other a Tivo Series 2.

I now realize that you can of course hit Tivo button twice and get to Now Playing so I guess this isn't such a big deal. I am curious though as to why the list function doesn't work on the Toshiba.

Anyway, so far we are totally digging the Toshiba.

Last edited by Welshdog : 01-30-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Welshdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:07 PM   #133
jluros

Hi all...I've been a happy RS-TX60 owner since Jan. 6th. I got it from 6ave.com... However, comcast was by this week to swap out my box for one with firewire. I noticed when we were swapping the comcast box out that when I touched the comcast box and the coaxial cable at the same time that I felt a little tingle like I was being shocked or electrocuted. I mentioned this to the comcast rep, and he just shrugged. Anyways, to make a long story short, I came home this evening and my toshiba tivo appears dead. No clock, no power, no fan. I tried unplugging all of the cables going into the dvr, tried plugging the power into another outlet. Nothing. Any suggestions? Must it go back to Toshiba for repairs?

Thanks in advance,
Jason
PS I've called Comcast and they will be coming out to investigate the hot cable issue.
jluros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:25 AM   #134
lordrichter

You are still under warranty for your TX-60. I would not hesitate to use it. Quickly.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:43 AM   #135
joeDC

Quote:
Originally posted by febtober
Hi all,

Just got an RS-TX20 open box at Worst Buy. No Remote or manual, but it was so cheap, I think they had it priced wrong. Remote is no problem, I have a Harmony 688, but I cannot find a link to the manual anywhere. Can one of you fine people point me in the right direction?

Another question related to HD signal. Does this unit pass HD signal thru to my TV in native format or do I need to run a seperate HD signal to the TV? Manual would probably answer that, too.

Also, if anyone has a spare remote they would like to sell, just in case......

Thanks much!

You need to run a direct signal to your tv from your cable box. It works for me. I bypass the unit when I view HD. If you are lucky your cable box has two audio outputs. Otherwise you'll need splitters unless you have an integrated A/V system, etc.
joeDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:53 PM   #136
Macros

Installation

I am a forum newbie, so please excuse any novice mistakes that will surely follow.

I have just purchased my first tx20, and will use it with a Comcast cable box, and a Sony HD LCD wide screen.

Is there anyting I need to be wary of? I purchased practically every monster cable on the market , so I think I am set.
Macros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:16 PM   #137
lordrichter

Re: Installation

Quote:
Originally posted by Macros
Is there anyting I need to be wary of? I purchased practically every monster cable on the market , so I think I am set.
You should be fine. Here is a link that might help with wiring up the TiVo to the cable box and TV.

TiVo Wiring Guide

Here is the TiVo Support page for wiring...

TiVo Support

Cable Box compatibility codes list topic

Cable/Satellite Box Compatibility List

All this information is available here in the forum.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #138
jluros

I just wanted to comment on my experience with Toshiba customer support. After I called their 800 number, and punched 1 for consumer products, the strangest thing happened. Someone answered the phone. No stupid hold music. No "your call is very important to us". A human. They were very helpful, and I should have my Tivo back (or one like it) in about 2-3 weeks. I'll keep you guys posted. Too bad no companies do warranty cross-shipping.

Jason
jluros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #139
Macros

installation

Wow, thanks for the links. it looks fairly straight forward now.
Macros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:55 PM   #140
Minya Fan

2 Toshiba RS questions

I read someone's post saying he couldn't burn a DVD of a 59 minute show or a 1 hr 1 min show. Is this true? Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, the Toshiba unit has an external input that makes it act like a "regular" table-top DVD burner, right? I'm looking to archive a bunch of laser discs onto DVDs. (Laser discs -- remember those things?) Anyone else using this model for such a function?

Thanks for any help!
Minya Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:44 AM   #141
TGtoys

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and new to TiVo. I got my RS-TX20 a couple of weeks ago and love the TiVo functionality! I do have a couple of problems... Here's the biggest one at the moment:

I have a wireless network at home and want to use the wireless connection for the TiVo. I bought the D-Link DWL-122 wireless USB adapter (it's on the TiVo compatibility list and the rest of my equipment is D-Link). When I plugged it into the TX20, a message came on about a firmware update needed, and I ok'd it to download the firmware. Since then, it doesn't recognize that the adapter is connected! The adapter has a power and "link" light - and both come on. I continue to see Wireless network setup menus, but when I try to set it up it says there is no adapter connected. I've tried resetting the TX20, unplugging it, checked the connections, plugged the adapter directly into the back of the TX20, all to no avail! I tried connecting the adapter to my computer, and it recognized the USB device, so at least some basic communication is working.

I sent email to Toshiba customer service and they responded with an 800-number to call. I hope to get time to try that number tomorrow. If anyone has advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
TGtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:26 AM   #142
Sirius_Tivo

For what it's worth, I installed my wireless adapter on my unit 3 weeks ago and did not have to do any software updates. My adapter is a SpeedStream, and not on the approved list, but it works fine. Maybe something in the download ? Good luck.

H
Old 02-04-2005, 05:22 PM   #143
kelder539

I am also a newbie

I just bought my Toshiba RS-TX60 from this seller off amazon.com for only $549.99 plus a $100 rebate!!!
J&R Music and Computer World

I cant wait until it gets here. I do not have a home phone, do not have VOIP. Just cellular and broadband. I have DishNetwork 501 PVR now with only 30 hrs on the pvr (always full). Am sold on the PVR, will be new to the TIVO concept. Am excited about it. I use regular cables (Monster Cables and the like are the biggest rip off of people that do not know electronic theory), although I will use the S-Video from my satellite to the Toshiba, then componant video to my Panasonic 34 inch flat screen HDTV monitor. Will run everything in 16x9 format, and will use digital optical from satellite to my Pioneer AV receiver which has 2 componant video in and 1 out, has 3 s-video in and 2 out (switchable), 4 optical digital in and 1 out. My TV has 2 componant video in's, and 4 other inputs that can be either s-video or rca. So my best options would be to go satellite out via S-video to satellite in on my a/v receiver, hook my tv up to the a/v receiver via the componant, run s-video out from a/v receiver to the Toshiba RS-TX60, and run componant from it to my tv. and then to figure out the digital sound, I would probably go direct optical from satellite to the a/v receiver and direct optical from the Toshiba to the a/v receiver, and probably rca from the satellite to the Toshiba. If anyone has any better suggestions, let me know.

Next problem is when my unit arrives, will I be able to just hook it up to my network hub and go for it??? I ordered a Linksys USB100TX Network Adapter Ethernet to USB $17.98 with shipping included off Ebay.
I currently have for my network a Linksys G wireless hub (with 4 wired connection spots, one of which I am planning on plugging into the USB100TX). So, what is my solution? Do I just plug it in and it will work???
I have heard about a secret code that is supposed to make the unit just plug and play into a broadband network. How come all these companies dont just put ethernet into their products??? I have been suggesting to Dish Network and VOOM to put them in their product for those of us who have gone away from a landline phone.

Well, enough rambling for now... (I got off graveyard shift 9 hours ago and I should have been in bed this whole time...)

Kelly
kelder539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:42 PM   #144
TGtoys

DWL-122 not detected

Quote:
Originally posted by TGtoys
I bought the D-Link DWL-122 wireless USB adapter (it's on the TiVo compatibility list and the rest of my equipment is D-Link). When I plugged it into the TX20, a message came on about a firmware update needed, and I ok'd it to download the firmware. Since then, it doesn't recognize that the adapter is connected!
I sent email to Toshiba customer service and they responded with an 800-number to call. I hope to get time to try that number tomorrow. If anyone has advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Today, I called Toshiba, and a very nice person answered the phone immediately. That was the good part. He didn't have any info on a problem like mine, so helpfully offered to transfer me to TiVo support. TiVo also answered immediately. The rep verified that the DWL-122 I have has worked for them (he said they're using that one in-house right now). He suggested the D-Link is defective. I called D-Link support and waited for a live person for more than 10 minutes. He indicated that the "firmware" that was downloaded was being loaded into the TiVo unit, not into the adapter (I was under the impression that the adapter was being updated). He suggested doing a complete, ground-up restart of the TiVo. He came up with another suggestion which I tried, and this is where it really gets weird...

D-Link suggested making sure I had tried both USB ports, in case one was bad. I switched the DWL-122 to the "other" port and, lo & behold, the MAC address & other info showed up on the screen (I happened to have it in the Phone & Network setup menu). It connected to my network! Then, just as I was about to celebrate, it vanished! Now, I can see that whenever I plug it in (to either USB port), it connects for about 30 seconds, then "loses it" - and the TiVo thinks the adapter is disconnected!

I tried buying a Linksys unit from the local BB store, but they only had Version 4.0 and that doesn't work at all.

to be continued.... until I run out of patience!
Old 02-05-2005, 10:34 AM   #145
febtober

Compatibility with zenih HD Sat520

Hi,

Thanks to those who helped me with my last issue.

Now a big one. I have not been able to get my RS-TX20 to play nice with my Zenith HD SAT520 satellite receiver. I started reading forums and became disappointed when no one has seemed to be able to make it work.

Has anyone had this issue? Has anyone overcome this issue? I spent less than $200 on this thing before rebate. I'd hate to have to return it. I'd also hate to have to get a new HD receiver. And, yes, I know the RS does not record in HD. In green, but not that green

Thanks much!
Feb
febtober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #146
ivo

Hi everyone,

I also have an RS-TX20 and have had it for about three months now. Everything has worked fine and I'm pretty happy with it, except one thing. I've had some major problems with the channel changing option. Basically, at first everything worked fine. Then I started noticing that when I tried to change channels with the tivo remote, the unit would not respond. That's ok if I'm home and can change the channel manually with the satellite's cable tv, but that's obviously not the way it's supposed to work. I have called Toshiba 3 times and they have told me:

First time: Disconnect the power from the wall and the phone cable from the unit and turn off for 15 minutes. Turn back on and try again.

I did that and it worked, but then it went back to not working again.

Second time: Disconnect the power from the wall for 1 hour and when you turn back on, play around with the IR cable to see if the positioning was wrong. Try that, if it dosen't work, maybe the IR cable is faulty, call us back so we can send you one.

I have played with that cable, moved it around, even tried the "tent" thing they recommend on the manual. Nada, zilch, nothing.

I even did the inicial set up again... I don't know what else to do!!!!

If anyone has any pointers, any miracles or suggestions any questions, (I fear I didn't explain correctly) please help meeeeee!

-desperate in san juan puerto rico.

ivo
ivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:15 PM   #147
lordrichter

Intermittent problems sound suspiciously like hardware to me.

When it stops working, I suppose you could grab a camcorder (if you have one) and hope that the infra-red emission from the IR cables is visible in the viewfinder. Many camcorders treat the IR from remote controls as visible light, very handy when trying to debug IR problems. That would at least tell you if the IR cable is actually producing a signal when it is not working.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:55 PM   #148
TGtoys

Angry Re: DWL-122 not detected

Quote:
Originally posted by TGtoys
whenever I plug it in (to either USB port), it connects for about 30 seconds, then "loses it" - and the TiVo thinks the adapter is disconnected!
I bought a Linksys WUSB11, V3.0 yesterday and tried it - no luck, same symptoms. Today, I returned the Toshiba unit to the store and exchanged it for a different one, figuring that the USB must be defective. After going through all of the initial setup stuff, I plugged in the Linksys and... nope, same symptoms.

The Linksys seems to take a little longer before the failure message appears, but it's the exact same behavior.

In the "Phone & Network Setup" screen, the IP, MAC, SSID and signal strength appear for about 30-45 seconds after I plug in the USB network adapter. Then, the signal goes to "(None)", and after a few more seconds the rest of the information disappears. When I go into the Wireless Settings, it gives a message titled "No Wireless Adapter": "A wireless network adapter was not detected..."

Restarting, unplugging, etc., don't have any effect.

If anyone has seem something similar, please speak up! I'm getting pretty tired of this.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:01 PM   #149
ivo

Quote:
Originally posted by lordrichter
Intermittent problems sound suspiciously like hardware to me.

When it stops working, I suppose you could grab a camcorder (if you have one) and hope that the infra-red emission from the IR cables is visible in the viewfinder. Many camcorders treat the IR from remote controls as visible light, very handy when trying to debug IR problems. That would at least tell you if the IR cable is actually producing a signal when it is not working.
Thanks lordrichter, today I did a reboot from the top, then disconnected it from the phone jack and wall outlet for 5 minutes and it seems to be working (for now) and hopefully for good...

*crossing fingers*

Thanks for the camcorder suggestion, I will try that if it happens again.
ivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 04:51 PM   #150
koji71

Angry rx-ts60

I love my ts-60, I have had it for about 6 months and have burned around 50 DVD's with it. Now I have a problem....I bought a spindle of 8X DVD's and I have gotten 3 burn failures using them. The ts-60 is only a 4X burner....I assumed that, just like CD's, they would only burn at the maximum speed of the machine. A super small warning label on the side of the spindle says something about a new 8X standard that might not work in certain drives etc......

Has anyone else had this kind of a problem?

Last edited by koji71 : 02-07-2005 at 06:12 PM.
koji71 is offline   Reply With Quote