TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2005, 03:17 PM   #121
Robert S

If only Lou could post a list of which models this disk is suitable for, then you'd be sure.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:36 PM   #122
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert S
If only Lou could post a list of which models this disk is suitable for, then you'd be sure.
;-)

the list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:17 PM   #123
maximian

So basically, the CD is useless for my SD-DVR80, and 250 GB upgrade drive.
Thanks for being honest.
maximian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:46 PM   #124
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by maximian
So basically, the CD is useless for my SD-DVR80, and 250 GB upgrade drive.
Thanks for being honest.
I wouldn't say its useless.

But if you were to use your 250GB drive for the upgrade, you'd be wasting almost half of it.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:01 PM   #125
unixadm
Super Moderator

tivoupgrade,

So from what I can understand, there is not a LBA48 kernel that will work in the DVR40/DVR80 Series 2 DirecTiVos....is that correct?

Are they out there and just not on the CD, or do they not exist?
Old 01-27-2005, 10:46 PM   #126
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by unixadm
tivoupgrade,

So from what I can understand, there is not a LBA48 kernel that will work in the DVR40/DVR80 Series 2 DirecTiVos....is that correct?

Are they out there and just not on the CD, or do they not exist?
They are out there and just not on the CD. Kernel replacement on the Series2 is not the same as on the Series1; to get a new kernel to work on the Series2 involves the use of a few other tools. We may offer something on the "free CD' and something a little more automated as an inexpensive download at some point in the future.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:07 PM   #127
jtayl22

First time TiVo hacker writes...
- Read Hinsdale-How-To
- Bought 250MB drive for my TiVo Series 2 (TCD540040)
- Downloaded mfstools2.iso
- Used Dell Dimension 4100 (no BIOS support for LBA 48)
- # mfsbackup -aqo - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -xpi - /dev/hda
- Now, I have a 137MB unit.

I think that the problem is with the BIOS on my Dell PC. It is not explicitly stated in this thread if "PTVupgrade LBA 48 CD with MFStools and Enhancements" will help. Am I right to think that I need a PC with LBA 48 BIOS support to be successful?

Any suggestion on how to proceed will be appreciated.

Thanks,
jtayl22

Last edited by jtayl22 : 01-31-2005 at 11:24 PM.
jtayl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:15 PM   #128
thepicman
Motivated Sluggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaelum
My CD/DVD ROM is the secondary master, so the following did work:

mount -o ro -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom
I had the exact same problem today, so I guess the automount still does not work in all cases. Thanks for the post Kaelum!

thepicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:40 AM   #129
bobgcampbell

Can't boot new drive

I've done a drive size upgrade in the past with my series 1, but having trouble with my series 2.

Series 2 TDC24004A (single 40G)
4.01b-02-2-240
No sub yet, I'm trying to copy the 40G to a 72G before applying more hacks.
No big drive, so I shouldn't need to worry about the tivo not having lba48 support.

I'm using ptvlba48-4.01.iso, but just using mfstools so far.

hda=windows
hdb=new tivo drive, 72G IBM deskstar
hdc=old tivo, 40G
hdd=cd-rom

I got no errors with the following command (tivo.upgrade-instructions.com):

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdb

After this I checked the partitions on the new drive and partitions 4 and 9 had stuff, so I put it in the tivo and it won't boot. It just loops resetting the video every 30s or so.

I put it back in the PC and dmesg shows all drive present but shows the old drive having partitions 1-13 while the new drive has 1-16.

dmesg also shows:
EXT2-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
(but I can mount partitions from the new drive)

mfsinfo on the new drive shows partition 14 is zero size. Is this normal?

I checked the help messages for mfsbackup and mfsrestore and can't see any errors in the command I'm using.

Help, what else can I look for?

Bob

Last edited by bobgcampbell : 02-12-2005 at 02:48 PM.
bobgcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:11 PM   #130
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepicman
I had the exact same problem today, so I guess the automount still does not work in all cases. Thanks for the post Kaelum!
If you have more than one CD/DVD device in your computer, automount can be a problem; that is the only scenario I know of where it won't work as predicted. Is that the case with your PC?

Old 02-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #131
thepicman
Motivated Sluggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
If you have more than one CD/DVD device in your computer, automount can be a problem; that is the only scenario I know of where it won't work as predicted. Is that the case with your PC?
No I was using some bits I threw together in a case. I had:

HD0: Nothing attached (Pri Master)
HD1: Old Tivo B (Pri Slave)
HD2: New TiVo A (Sec Master)
HD3: CD Rom (Sec Slave)

Nothing was set cable select either, all jumpers were set true.

-TPM

Old 02-13-2005, 12:18 AM   #132
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:

-TPM
Hmm. Interesting. Definitely different than I've ever seen (usually, the CDROM would be either primary slave or secondary master) but I don't know off-hand why the mountcd script didn't work. With the variety of BIOS' and potential configuration issues out there, its really impossible to make these things bulletproof...

Old 02-13-2005, 11:38 AM   #133
thepicman
Motivated Sluggard

Quote:
Hmm. Interesting. Definitely different than I've ever seen (usually, the CDROM would be either primary slave or secondary master) but I don't know off-hand why the mountcd script didn't work. With the variety of BIOS' and potential configuration issues out there, its really impossible to make these things bulletproof...
They were hooked up that way because Hinsdale's guide calls for that config in my situation. Thanks for the ISO though, It was a great help!

<snip>If you are REPLACING YOUR EXISTING A DRIVE with the new larger upgrade drive:

(Assumes existing TiVo A drive as Primary Master, existing TiVo B drive as Primary Slave, and new larger upgrade drive as Secondary Master)

Use the following command to copy the existing A drive to your new upgrade drive at the # prompt:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=1024k
</snip>

Old 02-13-2005, 03:06 PM   #134
bobgcampbell

Quote:

-TPM
I didn't think you could have a slave without a master. Try changing the Old Tivo B over to Pri Master.

Bob
bobgcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #135
thepicman
Motivated Sluggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgcampbell
I didn't think you could have a slave without a master. Try changing the Old Tivo B over to Pri Master.

Bob
Bob, thanks. Sure you can. I did have a Pri Master (old tivo A) until I pulled it. Anyway, it worked, just did not automount from the CD.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:03 PM   #136
crownroyal

I was able to get my Tivo upgraded with the LBA48 disk sucessfully and it worked great for about two weeks, then recently I started getting errors on older programs until finally my Tivo got stuck at "Welcome, powering up" (something like that).

I've gone through all the posts and everything but I haven't seen a solution for Tivo's that actually worked, but failed later. What do I need to do? If I missed the solution a link would be great.

Thanks
crownroyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:49 PM   #137
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownroyal
I was able to get my Tivo upgraded with the LBA48 disk sucessfully and it worked great for about two weeks, then recently I started getting errors on older programs until finally my Tivo got stuck at "Welcome, powering up" (something like that).

I've gone through all the posts and everything but I haven't seen a solution for Tivo's that actually worked, but failed later. What do I need to do? If I missed the solution a link would be great.

Thanks
Did you ensure that the TiVo you upgraded either had a native LBA48 kernel or that you installed an LBA48 kernel onto the TiVo?

Old 02-18-2005, 11:36 AM   #138
BobCamp1

I had this same exact thing happen to me yesterday. For now, I have given up on the LBA48 kernel and am using 137GB of a 160GB drive.

Plug the hard drive back into your PC, boot with the LBA48 ISO, then hit <shift>-<page up> to scroll up the boot messages. I'll bet your hard drive is only 137 GB in size!

You need a PC that supports LBA48 when you do the upgrade. Sometimes you have to set the BIOS's IDE detection to "auto" or "none" to get it to work. Or you need to upgrade your BIOS, or use a new (less than one year old) PC. This should be added to the instructions at the beginning of this thread, as this is a frequent stumbling point.

It is also possible that the copykern command did not work. It always reports it was successful, even when it didn't do anything. I will ask again if there is a way to independently verify copykern was successful, as no one has answered me yet.

Finally, I haven't had time to verify this, but I swore the hard drive said 160 GB before I put it in the Tivo. I remember using IBM's drive fitness test as well as Spinrite, and they both reported 160 GB as the drive size. After I pulled the drive from the Tivo, they now both report only 137 GB! Did the hard drive sense the slow, outdated, UDMA-33 connection of Tivo and automatically cap itself at 137 GB? I haven't heard of anything like this before, but I can't think of a different explanantion.

I am using a Samsung Spinpoint SP hard drive. I didn't have time to rerun the Samsung utilities, but I remember you can set the HD to report any size you want. I remember it was set to 160GB before the upgrade. I wonder if it's set to 137 GB now?

For now, my 20GB to 137 GB upgrade seems enormous, so I'm not worried about the missing 23 GB. I'll let you know in two weeks if my second attempt at upgrading was successful.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:28 PM   #139
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1
I had this same exact thing happen to me yesterday. For now, I have given up on the LBA48 kernel and am using 137GB of a 160GB drive.

Plug the hard drive back into your PC, boot with the LBA48 ISO, then hit <shift>-<page up> to scroll up the boot messages. I'll bet your hard drive is only 137 GB in size!

You need a PC that supports LBA48 when you do the upgrade. Sometimes you have to set the BIOS's IDE detection to "auto" or "none" to get it to work. Or you need to upgrade your BIOS, or use a new (less than one year old) PC. This should be added to the instructions at the beginning of this thread, as this is a frequent stumbling point.

It is also possible that the copykern command did not work. It always reports it was successful, even when it didn't do anything. I will ask again if there is a way to independently verify copykern was successful, as no one has answered me yet.

Finally, I haven't had time to verify this, but I swore the hard drive said 160 GB before I put it in the Tivo. I remember using IBM's drive fitness test as well as Spinrite, and they both reported 160 GB as the drive size. After I pulled the drive from the Tivo, they now both report only 137 GB! Did the hard drive sense the slow, outdated, UDMA-33 connection of Tivo and automatically cap itself at 137 GB? I haven't heard of anything like this before, but I can't think of a different explanantion.

I am using a Samsung Spinpoint SP hard drive. I didn't have time to rerun the Samsung utilities, but I remember you can set the HD to report any size you want. I remember it was set to 160GB before the upgrade. I wonder if it's set to 137 GB now?

For now, my 20GB to 137 GB upgrade seems enormous, so I'm not worried about the missing 23 GB. I'll let you know in two weeks if my second attempt at upgrading was successful.
We are using the LBA48 CD on systems over 4 years old. You definitely don't need a new PC to boot a kernel that supports LBA48. Practically any PC will work - even an old Pentium MMX should work.

As for verifying whether copykern works, ie ensuring that the correct kernel was installed, you can look in /var/log/kernel after the system has booted (if you can't telnet into the unit, then pull the drive mount the /var partition -- /dev/hdX9) and search for the string "court" in the file -- you should find a kernel log entry that confirms the build of the kernel with the "courtesan" name in it - that is what Todd Miller used when he built the kernel (sorry I can't give you the full entry right now as I do not have access to a system running that kernel at this moment).

Lastly, in the last several posts -- there has been NO mention of what type of TiVo you are talking about here. If you are using a Series2 unit, then this entire sub-discussion is moot; CopyKern is for Series1 units only....

Old 02-21-2005, 11:23 AM   #140
BobCamp1

Thanks for telling me how to verify copykern worked. I have a sneaking suspicion this was the problem, but it is weird that my drive suddenly starting reporting only 137 GB. I might never pull the drive again, as the Tivo seems to be happy now. More importantly, my wife seems to be happy now.

I understand the LBA48 issue, and I understand that the BIOS and PC shouldn't matter, but I also understand that some older PCs simply choke when the hard drive is larger than 137 GB (or 33.8 GB or 8 GB). I have a old Pentium 133 PC that wouldn't POST with the new hard drive attached. Other PCs do different things.( http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/bios/sizeHandling-c.html )

New PCs have to be able to handle large hard drives properly, especially if they are shipping with them! Using a new PC eliminates one possible problem someone may be having. If your old PC works then go for it.

I am using a Series 1 HDR212. Series 2 standalone owners without LBA48 should just wait for TivoToGo to get downloaded before they upgrade. Other Series 2 owners have to go "other places" for instructions or software.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:27 PM   #141
sully10128

I currently have a 160GB A drive and a 60GB B drive in a TiVo Series 2 TCD140060. I upgraded about a year ago, restoring my backup onto the 160GB drive and adding the original 60GB drive as drive B.

I've read that the TivoToGo version of the OS (7.1?) will support LBA addressing. I have 7.1 installed now - is there a simple way to realize the full 160GB of my drive A, now that an LBA48 kernel is in place?
sully10128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:45 PM   #142
djtravis

Red face SA TiVo TCD240080 with 7.1 software

I am using the current PTVupgrade iso image burned onto a CD.
What I have run into trying to replace my 120g drive with a 300g drive in my SA TiVo TCD240080 with 7.1 software.

hda Primary master = DOS
hdb Primary slave = New bigger (300g) drive
hdc Secondary master = Current TiVo (120g) drive
hdd Secondary slave = CD

mkdir /mnt/dos
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos

Make backup:
mfsbackup f4138 6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc
This created an 207mb file on the DOS disk.

Restore to 300g drive w/o programs:
mfsrestore s 127 bzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb
Put 300g drive in TiVo & it booted fine & reported 86 hours.

Restore to 300g drive w/o programs & expand to full capacity:
mfsrestore s 127 xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb
Put 300g drive in TiVo & it booted fine & reported 340 hours.

Copy programs from 120g to 300g:
mfsbackup Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore s 127 xzpi - /dev/hdb
Scanning source. Please wait.
Source drive size is 79 hours
- upgraded to 127 hours
Uncompressed backup size: 113979 megabytes
Restore failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself.

Try dd copy:
dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdb bs=1024k
after 30 minutes get the following error & copy stops:
dd: reading /dev/hdc: Input/output error
40829+2 records in
40829+2 records out

As stated in the instructions, I then tried the following:
dd conv=noerror,sync if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdb bs=1024k
Same errors as above, but kept copying. Finished after 1 hr 45 min.

Put in TiVo & get "Welcome. Powering up" for 1 min 15 sec.
Then "Almost There" for 25 sec.
Then green screen with some error & statement to leave things alone for 3 hours.
Then back to "Welcome. Powering up"

I have 2 hours more to wait. I have no indication that anything is happening inside that box, but I'll play along for the next 2 hours! After that, I'll go back to the restore/expand without saving programs, put the drive in the TiVo & see how long it'll work.

Does anyone have any ideas why the copy programs didn't work?

Last edited by djtravis : 02-22-2005 at 02:53 PM.
djtravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:59 AM   #143
wwli7p

Does any linux users out there have a PTVupgrade TiVo Upgrade CD with LBA48 support for Series1 cd that I could get the programs off and sent to me in a gzipped file, minus mfstools.

Will
wwli7p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:40 AM   #144
FredericLS

I have a DSR6000 that contains two upgraded drives from 2 years ago. I now would like to use two new 250 drives. I expect to replace the kernel, of course. When I did my upgrade before, I booted off the floppy so I could do two disks in and two disks out with backup | restore to keep my recordings. I would like to do this method again, but the only floppy I seem to find does not have LBA48 support which I believe is necessary to fully use the drives. The second message posted to this thread asked about this but was never replied to as I could find. I will then boot off the your LBA48 CD to complete the process of replacing the kernel and other enhancements (actually have universal 10 CD). Is there an LBA48 kernel floppy like the Tiger floppy with mfstools or a way of making one from your CD?

Second question may not be correctly addressed in this thread, but I will ask it anyway. If I buy Cake and setup the two new drives, is there a way to backup old recordings and restore them onto the new cake drives?

Thanks
FredericLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:00 AM   #145
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredericLS
I have a DSR6000 that contains two upgraded drives from 2 years ago. I now would like to use two new 250 drives. I expect to replace the kernel, of course. When I did my upgrade before, I booted off the floppy so I could do two disks in and two disks out with backup | restore to keep my recordings. I would like to do this method again, but the only floppy I seem to find does not have LBA48 support which I believe is necessary to fully use the drives. The second message posted to this thread asked about this but was never replied to as I could find. I will then boot off the your LBA48 CD to complete the process of replacing the kernel and other enhancements (actually have universal 10 CD). Is there an LBA48 kernel floppy like the Tiger floppy with mfstools or a way of making one from your CD?

Second question may not be correctly addressed in this thread, but I will ask it anyway. If I buy Cake and setup the two new drives, is there a way to backup old recordings and restore them onto the new cake drives?

Thanks
You are going to have a lot of work ahead of you if you want to keep your old recordings. First of all, there is no lba48 floppy that I'm aware of, but more importantly, you may have run out of partitions and may very well have a problem expanding the drive set (keep digging on these forums as there another thread that discusses this -- check the LBA48 thread in the underground).

One way to work around not having and LBA48 floppy (I've been thinking about whipping one out, but I don't think there would be a lot of use for it, relative to some of the other things we are working on), would be just to use DD to copy each of your two drives to each of the two new target drives. You could do this by booting off the CD and only connecting two drives at a time. Then go ahead and do your mfsadd on the new drives AFTER you are done.

As for your last question... InstantCake creates brand new replacement drives; we are working on an extended version that will give you an option to backup your existing drive to a new 'set" but again, you are still subject to the limitations above.

My recommendation would be to do a backup of your dual-drives, but just your settings and preferences. Yes, you will lose your recordings, but over time, you should be able to recreate your library.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:08 AM   #146
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
My recommendation would be to do a backup of your dual-drives, but just your settings and preferences. Yes, you will lose your recordings, but over time, you should be able to recreate your library.
I'll second that recommendation, and strongly recommend (feasible only for HMO/MRV-capable TiVos, of course!) owning a second TiVo, and offloading shows to it, upgrading to a blank disk (or disks), and moving shows back if needed.

Eschew shows you don't care too much about saving, and only back-up the most critical ones! It takes MANY, MANY hours to make a backup and save recordings (14-16 hours for my half-full 80GB DRT800 last month!), although you can argue its still faster than a FULL networked backup/restore! I guess I should at least have deleted some of the Suggestions before I upgraded

I'm trying to do something similar, but using two TiVos, and would love for ptvupgrade to give a quick glance at my thread and confirm what I'm about to attmept is the right way to go about things:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=231155

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #147
FredericLS

Thanks for your help and suggestions. It seems to me that if I can not save my recordings, I might as well use InstantCake to start fresh and make full use of the two new drives. I have 65 season passes but no big deal to recreate. Preferences are nice to save to indicate that I have viewed the shows, but since I pick only instead of TiVo, they are not necessary. I am correct that InstantCake will do everything including CacheCard setup and prom CRC check fix? I believe that I get the additional network update capability too? Seems a no brainer unless I am mistaken and missed something else. Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:05 PM   #148
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredericLS
Thanks for your help and suggestions. It seems to me that if I can not save my recordings, I might as well use InstantCake to start fresh and make full use of the two new drives. I have 65 season passes but no big deal to recreate. Preferences are nice to save to indicate that I have viewed the shows, but since I pick only instead of TiVo, they are not necessary. I am correct that InstantCake will do everything including CacheCard setup and prom CRC check fix? I believe that I get the additional network update capability too? Seems a no brainer unless I am mistaken and missed something else. Thanks again.
Yes, that is correct; CacheCard drivers, as well as flashing is taken care of with InstantCake. Note that IC creates the equivalent of a "NetReady" drive; more about that, and how to get telnet and other utils working here (way off-topic now...)

Thx again.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:35 PM   #149
FredericLS

Just downloaded. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #150
kleckner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownroyal

Thanks
I had the same problem...didn't realize I needed to run copykern. I have one old program that fails and I have since run copykern. Is this going to fix it going forward, or do you need to copy to a new drive and run copykern before the system boots in the Tivo?

FYI, Phillips HD112. Maxtor Quickview 160 replacing a noisy 3 year old Maxtor 160 (that was only using 137GB)
kleckner is offline   Reply With Quote