TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2005, 10:20 AM   #181
mamiller

Quote:
Originally posted by ack_thbbft
Well, I fixed the problem. I got it to work after quite a few resettings of my router. Got it working fine with WEP and MAC filtering, as well.

Thanks all!
I am experiencing similar issues as those you outlined. What router settings did you tweek?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:30 PM   #182
ack_thbbft

Quote:
Originally posted by mamiller
I am experiencing similar issues as those you outlined. What router settings did you tweek?
My router is a Linksys WRT54G, and I simply had to hold down the reset button for a full 10 seconds in order for it to properly reboot. That fixed the wireless part of the router, and my TiVo was then able to connect. I didn't actually have to tweak any settings once I properly reset the router.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #183
mamiller

ack_thbbft......Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #184
dwags

Quote:
Originally posted by mstenzel
Thanks ccwf.

Does anyone know any reason why the D-Link DWL-122 would NOT work with a Netgear wireless router?

Thanks.
You probably already have sorted this out, but I had problems with the DWL-122. TiVo would not recognize the adapter. I exchanged it for a LinkSys WUSB 11, V2.8 (excellent help from a Best Buy Geek searching through the 24+ boxes of the WUSB 11s to find the correct version!). Plugged it in and it was sweet. My router is a US Robotics 8054.
dwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:13 PM   #185
greenmead

Where the heck do you find these old USB Adapters?

Am I the only person who is unable to find a retail store that actually sells one of these USB adapters that is actually compatible with the new Tivo Series 2's? As somebody else pointed out, it's challenging to see the "version" of Linksys equipment in listings and on the box, so I have now TWICE bought adapters that I later discovered were not compatible.

I have a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4Ghz router and I'm just trying to find one of those Linksys adapters v 2.6 or 2.8 or 3.0, but the stores around me only seem to sell v 4.0. Where do you find the older versions? I've hunted a bit online with no luck.
greenmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:40 AM   #186
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Where the heck do you find these old USB Adapters?

Quote:
Originally posted by greenmead
I have a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4Ghz router and I'm just trying to find one of those Linksys adapters v 2.6 or 2.8 or 3.0, but the stores around me only seem to sell v 4.0. Where do you find the older versions? I've hunted a bit online with no luck.
The Linksys WUSB11 adapters are not the only type that will work. They're not even on the recommended adapters page because of the difficulty of finding compatible revisions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #187
jilter
Happy to be here.

I have a Tosh/SDH-400.
I would like to use a WUSB54Gx2. I realize its not on the list of compatible adapters. When can I look forward to support for this adapter?
Is there a reason when I plug the adapter into my Tivo, I can not find anything under Settings/Edit Phone-Network other than an option to change my dial-out phone number.
Color me very confused!
Old 01-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #188
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

Because it's not on the list of compatible adapters?
Old 01-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #189
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

To say more... I just realized what I *think* you were trying to ask after staring at your question again... if the TiVo can't "see" a network adapter you won't get the option to configure it.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #190
jilter
Happy to be here.

o.k., I got it...thank you!

Now, why does it have to be certain adapters?
Isn't there a "standard" they all adhere to?
jilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:04 AM   #191
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

*sigh* wouldn't that be nice? At least one company discussed here (somewhere above) changed their chipset internally and it is a really now a totally different adapter. Personally I'd love it if the adapters all supported some minimal subset even if they have additional bells and whistles but apparently there is no standard for a "basic" driver.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:42 AM   #192
mamiller

What is up with "software download required"?

I am becoming a bit frustrated with trying to set up wireless on my new TIVO. I have tried several Linksys and Netgear adaptors that were listed as suitable for TIVO, only to latter find out that they were the wrong version. I then ordered a D-Link DWL-122 directly from TIVO, thinking that it had to work if TIVO sold it. I then received a D-link DWL 120 version F instead, which requires a software download. So I go to the page to request this download and have now been waiting a week for it to happen. How long does it take to make this download happen?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:12 AM   #193
dmorin

How about the SMC2662w?

I have a series 2, serial number 140-xxx. According to the adapters page the SMC2662W should work. However, I get nuthin. The adapter itself shows red power light and green link light, but there's no change at all in my tivo in terms of showing mac address.

I am a little worried that the green link light just immediately comes on and stays constantly lit. I would think that if it were doing the right think it would be more blinky.

Any tips, suggestions? The "try another adapter" suggestion isn't really a stellar one given how limited the choices are (i.e. buying and discovering that the adapter has a newer version of the firmware than Tivo supports). I don't know why this one I just got wouldn't work. Is there any sort of way I can see a 'dmesg' or something (without hacking) that might give me a clue about whether the device is even being seen? Some sort of debugging version of system info?

Lastly, how exactly would the UI acknowledge the device? For instance if I am already on the "Phone and Network Settings" page and it just says "Edit phone options" (as opposed to "Edit phone and network", and then I plug in the device, woudl I immediately see it change to "phone and network"? Is a reboot (warm or cold) mandatory? Would it take some time to show up? I believe I have tried every combination I can think of (including the recommended removal of power cord, etc...) But I'm game to try some more.

Thanks! I will continue searching the forum for answers, but my immediate search only turned up references to linksys and netgear.

Duane
dmorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:45 AM   #194
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

you know I'm starting to think a good thing for a prospective TiVo 3 would be built-in wired and wireless ethernet ... then they'd only have to write for one or two driver cards ... with the upgrades to cards out in the world everybody loses. As long as they were firmware upgradeable to take a reasonable stab at handling near-future new security needs, etc. I think that would save pain and suffering, and perhaps many support calls which could save some $$ on the back end.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:01 AM   #195
lew

Quote:
Originally posted by rkcarter
*sigh* wouldn't that be nice? At least one company discussed here (somewhere above) changed their chipset internally and it is a really now a totally different adapter. Personally I'd love it if the adapters all supported some minimal subset even if they have additional bells and whistles but apparently there is no standard for a "basic" driver.
The problem is many of the adapters, particularly the cheap ones, don't have any driver support for linux.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:42 PM   #196
stagedr

Where do you get a compatible driver?

I just about GIVE UP!!!! I am minimally literate as far as all this driver and router stuff as it is but still tried to read through all the previous posts. I have a Tivo Series 2 130.xxxx Software v. 4.01b (isn't that OLD??? Why isn't it updating?). I have had so much trouble getting program information to load of late through my phone connections. It used to happen all the time with no problem -- now it's always pending restart and finally today after weeks of this I got some program information to load!! I don't even know what I did to get the program guide to load! I wanted to get an adapter so that I could use the wireless features with my D-link router Airplus Extreme G DI-624 but CompUSA told me they don't sell any of the adapters that should work because they are OLD versions (why would only an OLD version work?),. I am SO FRUSTRATED! I used to love Tivo but am growing to HATE it! Can anyone help me????
stagedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:53 PM   #197
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

A couple of things I can tell you ... no 4.01b isn't that old (there is a new one out that adds TiVo to Go that's version 7 I believe ... I don't know what happened to v5 and v6 and maybe my memory is wrong, but 4.01b is current and they are gradually sending out the new version). Only an old version works because the TiVo people had to buy adapters and write Linux software for them ... and then the company makes a new version which may be substantially different on its insides and the old software enabling the TiVo to talk to the old network adapter doesn't work on the new network adapter. I assume TiVo will have to get hold of the new adapter and write drivers for it as well...it's very frustrating. And the companies themselves tend to write only Windows drivers for their stuff (and a TiVo is linux underneath, not Windows). Hope this explains the issues a bit - Rick
Old 01-17-2005, 06:04 PM   #198
stagedr

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation at least it helps me understand what the problem is a bit better. However, I still don't know where to get an adapter that will work with my Tivo!!! This computer stuff is frustrating!
Old 01-17-2005, 08:30 PM   #199
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by stagedr
Thanks for the explanation at least it helps me understand what the problem is a bit better. However, I still don't know where to get an adapter that will work with my Tivo!!! This computer stuff is frustrating!
If nothing else, you can always order a network adapter from TiVo at their on-line TiVo Store.

If willing to do a little more shopping around to get a better price, you can try searching for one of the compatible adapters at a shopping comparison site like DealTime (they sponsor this site, so, there a search box for them on the main page) or PriceGrabber. You can also call around to local stores or print out the lists and go look in person.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 01-18-2005, 10:27 AM   #200
VanGoghLikesTivo

Wireless USB Adapters

After my TiVo got Tivo to Go, I wanted to set up a wireless network for my TiVo. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get TiVo to work properly with several USB adapters. I have tried D-Link's USB adapter (DWL-G132) which did not work. I also tried Belkin's F5D7050 which claims to be compatible with USB 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 and both the 802.11b and 802.11g standards, but it did not work with my TiVo. I was able to find Linksys' WUSB12 at CompUSA for $79.99 and it works, so I know the problem is with the adapters and not my network. I cannot find the D-Link's that TiVo's adapter page recommends in any store nearby.

With the Linksys, transfers using TiVo to go take a long time to complete. I understand that TiVo currently does not work with USB 2.0, but would like to buy an adapter that will work with USB 2.0 and 802.11g to get better speeds when TiVo implements USB 2.0. Does anyone know of such an adapter?
VanGoghLikesTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:32 AM   #201
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

Wow ... because of things mentioned elsewhere in this thread (see the posts 2 or 3 back from yours above), it's not so much "USB compatibility" it's "did the TiVo software developers write a driver for this particular version of this particular network adapter." So buying one which could work in the future is a total crap shoot, since they have not written any driver software for *any* 802.11g network adapters at this point, at least not that they have announced yet. Believe me when they announce one my house immediately goes from 802.11b to 802.11g. - Rick
Old 01-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #202
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rkcarter
Wow ... because of things mentioned elsewhere in this thread (see the posts 2 or 3 back from yours above), it's not so much "USB compatibility" it's "did the TiVo software developers write a driver for this particular version of this particular network adapter."
Yes, many people who remember the old days of where you bought a network card and had to configure it to avoid hardware conflicts and install a driver for it, think that USB avoids both of those issues. It does not. It only avoids the hassle of dealing with hardware conflicts and does not eliminate the need for a driver. Just because you can physically attach a device via USB does not mean it will magically work with any computer supporting USB.

People with older WIndows systems with USB will find the same problem: many current network cards do not support older Windows systems because the manufacturers have only written drivers for currently popular Windows systems.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 01-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #203
cgi-bin

What I did:

Bridge 2 WRT54G's using sveasoft firmware in WDS mode.
Connect Tivo Using NetGear FA120 (USB 2.0).

Total cost ~$75 and gives me wireless G speeds (yeah I know The USB 1.1 on the Tivo limits me to ~12Mbit... but I'll be read when USB 2.0 is enabled)
cgi-bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:14 PM   #204
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

good call... I may just do that ... if nothing else by Murphy's Law it will make TiVo announce an 802.11g adapter or two's support a day later.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:11 PM   #205
stagedr

Hopeless

I am starting to think this is just an exercise in futility. Why does this company bother to come out with these new ideas (Tivo To Go) and options (wireless) when they really don't worl very well and it's near impossible to even find the equipment needed for them?!?! CCWF, thank you for your recommendations but the Tivo store doesn't even carry the adapters that do work with my Tivo. Does that make ANY sense??? If these adapters aren't readily available you would think Tivo would sell them! As far as shopping online -- not of the online stores actually tell you which version of the adapter they are selling. You have to be able to see the box to determine that (again how much sense does that make!!!).
Old 01-18-2005, 09:08 PM   #206
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Hopeless

Quote:
CCWF, thank you for your recommendations but the Tivo store doesn't even carry the adapters that do work with my Tivo. Does that make ANY sense???
The adapter currently being sold at the TiVo Store works with all current Series2 models. If that adapter doesn't work with your model of TiVo DVR (which model do you have?), then see the forum sponsors at the top of the page for Series1 networking solutions or complain to DirecTV if you have a DirecTV DVR with TiVo model.

TiVo

中日韓

Last edited by ccwf : 01-18-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:21 PM   #207
wantwireless

Wireless Adapter Version

I am trying to find a wireless adapter that will work with my Tivo.
I compared all of the adapters on the list that are supposed to work with Tivo and selected either the DWL 120 or the WUSB11.
Both of these require a certain version.
How do you tell what version you are buying when trying to order on line?
None of the websites seem to state a version.
wantwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:22 PM   #208
stagedr

What I have

I have a Series 2 130.xxxxx Only certain adapters will work with it -- al earlier versions than what is available out there.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #209
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: What I have

Quote:
I have a Series 2 130.xxxxx Only certain adapters will work with it -- al earlier versions than what is available out there.
OK. Thanks for that detail. I was wrong: some of the recommended adapters indeed do not work with older units.

I went to the full adapter list and did a search in DealTime for the first adapter on the list, the Belkin F5D6050, which forum members have reported works with your model. DealTime says OfficeMax has it in stock for $34.

TiVo

中日韓

Last edited by ccwf : 01-24-2005 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:36 PM   #210
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Wireless Adapter Version

Quote:
Originally posted by wantwireless
How do you tell what version you are buying when trying to order on line?
None of the websites seem to state a version.
In general, you can try sending an email and asking.

TiVo

中日韓