TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2005, 08:22 AM   #91
Desperado

Thanks Sirius...I actually have cable connectors with one coating of titanium and another coating of platinum on top of that.
Desperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:05 PM   #92
njbuck

Went to Best Buy last night to pick up a RX20 to replace my Series 1 Sony.
Best Buy web site said they were IN STOCK at my store. (After being out of stock all week.) When I got there I couldn't find any.

I asked the BB Employee. He said the shipment was cancelled and they will not get anymore in.

I've been lied to by BB employees before, so I went to the service desk.
They said there were 4 in the store according to the computer.

Went back to the Tivo section and spoke with another employee. He found 3 units stacked high on the shelf in the TV section.

Used my BB 10% off coupon and a ton of Christmas Gift cards.

Video appears a little dark and grainy. Connected to a Comcast Motorola box via S-video. I'm going out to buy a monster s-video. I hope that helps.
njbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:46 PM   #93
spking1958

Just got my Toshiba RS-TX20 up and going. Wondering if anyone has the web interface to it working directly. I see all sort of threads about TiVo-to-go and messages about the "to-go" feature not being supported... but what about having your browser directly view what's on the TiVo? (and I'm not talking about going to the TiVo Central site... that's okay, but it does not do much for me. I'd really want to rip a show to my laptop, move files back and forth easily over the ethernet adapter (which by the way, works great!!! no more phone line!!!).
spking1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:15 PM   #94
Sirius_Tivo

Quote:
Originally posted by spking1958
Just got my Toshiba RS-TX20 up and going. Wondering if anyone has the web interface to it working directly. I see all sort of threads about TiVo-to-go and messages about the "to-go" feature not being supported... but what about having your browser directly view what's on the TiVo? (and I'm not talking about going to the TiVo Central site... that's okay, but it does not do much for me. I'd really want to rip a show to my laptop, move files back and forth easily over the ethernet adapter (which by the way, works great!!! no more phone line!!!).
I could be wrong but it is my understanding that the "to-go" functionality is not available at this time for tuner/dvd recorder units yet. The software to support these is under development and will distributed when ready. Guess we just have to be patient.

S
Old 01-08-2005, 04:00 PM   #95
regularguy

At what speed does the RS-TX20 burn DVD-Rs?

I bought a stack of 4x blanks (which work fine and burn at about 4x), but later noticed that 8x discs are available for about the same price. (I notice on the Web that there are 16x as well, but I haven't seen them in the store.)

Last edited by regularguy : 01-09-2005 at 08:32 AM.
regularguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #96
JSY

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirius_Tivo
I could be wrong but it is my understanding that the "to-go" functionality is not available at this time for tuner/dvd recorder units yet. The software to support these is under development and will distributed when ready. Guess we just have to be patient.

S
I don't think you're wrong at all - I believe the TiVo site says that TiVo's with DVD Recorders will get the update later in the year (Tivo's with DVD Players will get it normally).

I picked up my TX20 back in October as my second TiVo connected to Dish Network. (My SA2 goes to Digital Cable.) I really do like it despite a few items (menus are slower than my SA2 and the PQ of Basic seems slightly worse) and it's a quick way to bring some shows with me to view on my laptop (via DVD) before TiVo2Go comes around. Actually, come to think of it - it'll always be faster that way. I don't think I would be able to transfer 6 hrs of Basic quality to my laptop in the same amount of time it takes to burn the DVD.
JSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:12 PM   #97
Sirius_Tivo

Toshiba Locking Up

I have had the Toshiba for 2 weeks now and all has gone quite well and for the most part I am happy. The read message function has previously worked well but tonight while attempting to view my messages (Local TIVO-Central; Read New Messages & Setup) the entire tuner locked up on the message screen when I selected the "Read Messages.." option. All I got was a blank message screen and none of the controls would work, remote or on the unit itself. Not even the power on-off worked. As a last resort I pulled the A.C. line cord and forced the unit into a hard re-boot. The Toshiba did recover and all seemed normal until I tried to view my messages again.. same thing again, forced re-boot worked again.

I will try again tomorrow. Has anyone experienced this with the Toshiba?

S
Old 01-09-2005, 11:35 PM   #98
Andrewp75

Can anyone tell me if their DVD firmware is at 1.15 or 1.08. I am still at 1.08 and trying to figure out why.

Thanks!

A
Andrewp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:42 AM   #99
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrewp75
Can anyone tell me if their DVD firmware is at 1.15 or 1.08. I am still at 1.08 and trying to figure out why.
I would think you should be at 1.15 after the first couple of service connections to TiVo.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:07 AM   #100
Andrewp75

Im not, and I have no idea why. Anyone have any other insight?

Thanks!

A
Old 01-10-2005, 09:31 AM   #101
musiclover408

What is the difference between 1.15 and 1.08. Mine is at 1.08 as well.
musiclover408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:23 PM   #102
Andrewp75

WTH! I just spoke to Toshiba and Tivo and they have never heard of firmware 1.15. Anyone know what this about???
Old 01-12-2005, 12:50 PM   #103
alfordsteven

DVD BURN SPEED FOR TOSHIBA

Hi,

I have a new RX20, which I networked to my broadband yesterday (which was much easier than I anticipated. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get Tivo to play iTunes generated music (MP4/aac). I know about HYMN and am considering using it, but it's kind of scary for a relatively non-technical user.

Speaking of non-technical: I can't seem to discover anywhere the appropriate DVD speed for burning disks. I have some 8x disks. Would they be okay?

Thanks for a reply!

Steve
alfordsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:14 PM   #104
lordrichter

The Toshiba burns DVD-R discs at 4X but you can use 8X or 16X discs.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:14 PM   #105
jnutts579

My dvd firmware ref. is at 1.15 also. I joined the band wagon when I got this thing for x-mas. Man, I have returned one already to BB, because the progressive out was faulty. I must say that there is a noticeable loss in signal.

Also, I have this thing connected s-vid from RCA sat. box, and component to a HD ready Sony 27in. I used Monster cables, HA HA , and I think the only aid in picture quality was when I set the TV output to progressive.

Please let there be a update that can change the compression.......

Last edited by jnutts579 : 01-13-2005 at 10:27 PM.
jnutts579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:42 PM   #106
cjblack

Question

I'm really surprised that nobody in this thread has mentioned how slow the menus are on this Toshiba unit. I got it for Xmas so I replaced my 40-hr Series 2 with this one. Going from the Series 2 to this unit, the slow menus are driving me absolutely insane! Is there a remedy for this? I'm assuming it's a necessary evil at this point.
cjblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:46 AM   #107
lordrichter

At first I think I noticed this, but for the most part I don't notice it now. Maybe I have grown used to it. My Toshiba replaced a stock 60hr Series 2.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:41 PM   #108
Rkinch

I have a problem with my Toshiba....I put in a regular DVD today and as soon as the drive closed "live" TV frozen....the LCD display said the DVD was Loading...however after about 5 minutes I went to eject the DVD...and nothing happened...I then tried to power down the unit...but it wouldn't. I eventually had to pull the plug.

Now the problems begin... It won't boot. It does the standard start up but after sitting on the "only a few more minutes screen" for about 3 minutes, it starts the process over in an endless loop.

Please Help. I saw another thread by someone else with the exact same problem however, no replies.
Rkinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:23 PM   #109
lordrichter

It might be necessary to get the DVD out of the drive. Unfortunately, while there is a hole on the DVD drive that will manually eject the DVD, it is conveniently positioned where you cannot get to it.

That means that you might have to pry the door open to get it out. Ouch.

The DVD drive is behind the flip down cover, which easily opens. The manual open hole is on the lower left below the sliding DVD tray on the front of the drive inside the case (and behind the flip down door). It is blocked by part of the front cover of the unit. I have no idea if this can be removed, exposing the front of the unit and the DVD drive.

You might have to call Toshiba and see if they have a way to get the disc out.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:55 PM   #110
Rkinch

Have to wait till Monday morning to call Toshiba.

Yet another question... has anyone that has Comcast Digital cable with a Motoral cable box been able to record a program and watch another? If so...how?
Old 01-17-2005, 07:48 AM   #111
jdgarrido
JD305

DVD Stuck

Quote:
Originally posted by Rkinch
I have a problem with my Toshiba....I put in a regular DVD today and as soon as the drive closed "live" TV frozen....the LCD display said the DVD was Loading...however after about 5 minutes I went to eject the DVD...and nothing happened...I then tried to power down the unit...but it wouldn't. I eventually had to pull the plug.

Now the problems begin... It won't boot. It does the standard start up but after sitting on the "only a few more minutes screen" for about 3 minutes, it starts the process over in an endless loop.

Please Help. I saw another thread by someone else with the exact same problem however, no replies.

I had the same problem. I restarted the system and at the moment that it booted I press the eject button to get the DVD out.

Good luck
jdgarrido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:43 AM   #112
Rkinch

Called Toshiba...sat on hold for 30 minutes.

Here is the reply.

Rep: "Did you leave it unplugged for 24 hours and the plug it in and try to eject the DVD?"

Me: "24 hours?!? Well no I would never have thought to leave it unplugged that long."

Rep: "You need to wait 24 hours"

Me: "Why that long?"

Rep: "To give it time to Reset"

Me: "You mean as opposed to the standard 10 seconds?"

Rep: "Yes"

Me: "O.k....I'll try that. So is this problem a result of something I have set up incorrectly or is this a known problem?"

Rep: "We've never heard of this problem?"

Me: "Well thats odd because the first place I went to see if anyone else has had this problem... I found 2 other people with the exact same problem".

Rep: "Well thats 3 people out of 1000s of units"

Me: "Thank You Goodbye"

I'm not very impressed with the response I got and some of the others I've seen here.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:15 PM   #113
lordrichter

24 hours. To let the system reset. While the power is off.

I'd try the "press the button while it is booting" suggestion before trying the 24 hour cooling off period.

Usually when technical support starts suggesting things that sound a little strange, I say, "Yup, did that, any other suggestions?"

Arguing with them is like arguing with a rock. (It gets you nowhere and just upsets the rock)
Old 01-18-2005, 03:19 PM   #114
yakima2k

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirius_Tivo
Desperado... I agree with you 100 percent. I am an Electronics Engineer and I am constantly amazed how companies like Monster Cables and the like get people to pay big bucks for cables they do not need. I have, and have always had, high quality audio systems and I use, and still use garden variety cable for speaker connections etc. I have tested these connections with various audio testing devices and I can say that those spending the big bucks on Monster Cables are throwing their money away.

The same holds true for gold plated connectors, super cables etc. I tell laymen that if gold plating was so important than the equipment manufacturers would also gold plate the connectors on their box... none except the rip-offs do. It makes no sense at all to waste money on these incredibly expensive interconnections, best spend ones money on things that count like speakers, displays etc.

My opinion, I know many will disagree or bash.

S
Count me among the new Toshiba owners. I ordered the TX20 today and will be starting my test drive next week.

What gets me most about the 24K gold connector BS is that gold is a worse conductor than silver and copper. What's important is the quality of the connection, presumably copper to copper, and the quality of the insulation. If the connector tips are gold then you are reducing the connection quality and increasing the cost. I would think the best cables would be those with tight, insulated copper connector heads and well insulated bodies.
yakima2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:32 PM   #115
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally posted by yakima2k
Count me among the new Toshiba owners. I ordered the TX20 today and will be starting my test drive next week.

What gets me most about the 24K gold connector BS is that gold is a worse conductor than silver and copper. What's important is the quality of the connection, presumably copper to copper, and the quality of the insulation. If the connector tips are gold then you are reducing the connection quality and increasing the cost. I would think the best cables would be those with tight, insulated copper connector heads and well insulated bodies.
In general, yes.

Gold is good for contacts because it does not corrode or oxidize as significantly as other metals (copper, silver, and tin).

However, mixing metals can promote corrosion and reduce the electrical properties of the connection.

The electrical properties of the cable in relation to the two devices it connects are also important, and much harder to test while the cable is still in the store. Poorly matched cabling will cause signal degradation.

The shielding is also important because insulation only protects from electrical shorts. Electrical fields can reach right though insulation and mess with the signal in the cable, causing a 60 cycle interference from the power, interference from the electronics in the TV, etc.

And, naturally, no shielding is perfect, so the shortest cable that will reach the necessary distance is the one that should be used.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:45 PM   #116
djdawson

I'm new here and don't yet have a TiVo device. I'm interested in the Toshiba RS-TX boxes, but have a couple questions. Are these boxes "cable-ready"? We have Comcast analog cable and no cable boxes (our tv's and vcr's are all cable ready). We have a pretty basic setup - an old Sony dvd player connected to the s-video connector on the tv, and a vcr connected to the Comcast coax and to the tv with RCA connectors (it's an old Magnavox tv with composite, but no component inputs). My plan was to remove the dvd player and the vcr and replace them with the Toshiba, connecting it essentially like the vcr is, but using the s-video output instead of the composite. Will this work?

Also, if you record a long program to the disk and it's too big to fit on a single dvd disc, will the Toshiba split it into smaller pieces?

Thanks!

Dana
djdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:42 AM   #117
alfordsteven

Yes, you can plug the Toshiba into your televisio.

If you record something you have the option of reducing the quality of the image and making it more easily fit on a DVD (you must do this prior to recording) or have a high-quality image and record on multiple DVDs. At high-quality, you can generally record two hours on one DVD. When you burn something over 2 hours at high quality, you burn the first one, then, when inserting the second one, the DVR asks you if you want to burn the rest. I have burned multiple disk recordings with success.

Steve
alfordsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:36 AM   #118
djdawson

Thanks for the quick response, Steve! I've got my eye on the TX60 from "6ave.com" ($525.06), but I'm concerned about the number of people complaining about poor video quality and the hassles of dealing with returning (or not being able to return) it to them. We're obviously not videophiles, but would prefer not to take a step down in picture quality. I think I'll do a little more research and see what I can learn.

Thanks again!

Last edited by djdawson : 01-20-2005 at 08:41 AM.
djdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 04:33 PM   #119
TivoDaddy

Hey Dana, welcome to the Tivo board! Most people split the cable from the wall and have one split go to the TiVo and the other to your TV. This way you can be recording one show while watching another. This doesn't happen often in our house because there are enough shows queued on the TiVo that it's a rarity that we watch "live TV".

The PQ that people have experienced seem to stem from some having high end TVs where compression artifacts are easily seen.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:30 PM   #120
WDC

Dual LNB needed to record/watch two different channels?

Hello,

I'm new owner of an rs-tx20. My unit will arrive tomorrow. I've got directv, so any advice anyone might have about setting it up, I'm all ears. I was up on my roof today and learned that my satellite LNB has only one connection for coax. I want to be able to record & watch two different shows at the same time, but I'm not sure how to do what with my Phillips DSX 5500 satellite receiver.

Thanks.
WDC is offline   Reply With Quote