TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2005, 09:25 PM   #61
ccrochet
Luv my RS-TX20

Hi Everyone...

Guess you can count me in as a RS-TX20 owner for your club! I recently purchased a RS-TX20 from WalMart online for the deal price of $516.52 with shipping. So far, it's been a mixed bag -- but altogether not a horrible experience. Not WalMart's fault though, and not entirely Toshiba's or Tivo's either...

First, I don't have a home phone line -- by choice (don't need one), so I took the unit over to someone else's house & ran the guided setup from there. Went fine & without a problem.

Brought the unit home and hooked it up. So far, so good. Installed the Netgear MA111 wireless adapter (on the approved list) into one of the provided USB slots & got nothing. Restarted, did all of the necessary troubleshooting & finally figured out the problem. I had purchased an MA111 from Comp-U-Plus. What they failed to mention was that it was a MA111 v2, not v1. It seems the v1 is compatible with the TiVo, but the v2 is not! I will be contacting Comp-U-Plus for an RMA tomorrow.

I ended up purchasing a Linksys WUSB11 adapter from Circuit City instead, which worked immediately -- solving this initial nasty little problem.

NOW...

Here's my latest problem (keep in mind, I'm a tech with a Fortune 10 company, so technically I'm no slouch). I installed JavaHMO on my WinXP PC running SP2. The service is started and running nicely on my PC.

Problem is:
No matter what I do, the RS-TX20 absolutely fails to recognize my PC running the JavaHMO software (or Tivo Desktop for that matter - I tried that too). Here's my setup:
- WinXP PC running SP2
- Connected to Belkin F5D5230-4 wired router
- Also connected to Belkin router is D-Link DWL-1000AP 802.11b wireless access point (128-bit WEP encryption is enabled, configured, and working well with the TiVo connection.
- The TiVo is wirelessly connected to the D-Link AP.
- The TiVo is still under the TiVo Plus free demo period (which should give me access to all TiVo Plus services).

Here's what I've tried so far (all with no effect on the problem):
1. Disabled Windows firewall.
2. Uninstalled Nortel VPN software.
3. Rebuilt the WinXP IP stack with the NETSH command.
4. Restarted PC several times (hard and soft reboots).
5. Restarted RS-TX20 several times (hard and soft reboots).
6. Ran Ethereal and captured traffic from my network. I found multiple packets originating from my PC (the JavaHMO service, it appears) that had a destination of 192.168.2.255 (local broadcast). What I did NOT see was any responses coming back from my TiVo at 192.168.2.10 (DHCP-assigned). Keep in mind that I am successfully receiving my programming info from the TiVo service.

I'm starting to think this may be a problem with the router and/or wireless access point. The Belkin router doesn't have an option to for "termination" as some of the Linksys models do.

Any recommendations from anyone beyond replacing the router and/or wireless access point?

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

-c
Old 01-03-2005, 12:09 AM   #62
musiclover408

Rebate question?

Hi Toshiba lovers...
I am considering purchasing a TX-60 and will taking advantage of the TivoBasic service only since I already have 2 DirecTivos with all the regular Tivo functions. My question is will I be getting the $100 mail in rebate that is advertised with this unit if I don't subscribe for Tivo service?

Thanks!
musiclover408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:06 AM   #63
Sirius_Tivo

Musiclover... I went for the $100 rebate offer. Here is the deal I got: I had to buy the Thoshiba before Jan 1st and activate a TIVO Plus subscription within 30 days or so. It may be that TIVO has a newer rebate offer, but if the $100 is a big deal to you I would read the fine print very carefully to make sure you'll qualify.

Good luck, I am really enjoying mine.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:20 AM   #64
Sirius_Tivo

IvyFalls... Yes I did figure out where to get the software. I did the search and found it. It appears to be working alright although I have not loaded any photos or MP3's into it yet.

I too have been experiencing intermittent difficulties with the TIVO site. Often when I am scheduling recordings on the site it seems as the site just goes dead and I get a "server timed out" message or a message telling me they are experiencing some difficulty and try again later. It's a bit frustrating when this happens however it works so well scheduling recordings directly through the DVR. Hope TIVO's site gets well.

S
Old 01-03-2005, 12:18 PM   #65
Navarre

Greetings all.

I'm looking at getting the RS-TX20 within the next month or so, have to pay off my 57 inch Hitachi HDTV set first. Couple questions.

1) What adapter is recomended for hooking it up to broadband? Looking for known ones that work well. Occassionaly I've tried stuff on other devices that for whatever reason just didn't work well together.

2) What Amps are recommended for boosting signal strength? I've got my cable split into two separate splitters. One is for the cable modem, but the other splitter is for a TV in the living room, the vcr so it gets the guide+ info, a tv in each of two bedrooms, and I think that's it.

I found one at smarthome.com, its a Terk 15db amp. Is anyone using this? Are there others that work well for less?
Navarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #66
Sirius_Tivo

If you look around the TIVO website there is a list of approved adapters. I use a Seimens SpeedStream adapter that I've had around for awhile and although not on the list it works well.

Don't know about the Amps.

S

Quote:
Originally posted by Navarre
Greetings all.

I'm looking at getting the RS-TX20 within the next month or so, have to pay off my 57 inch Hitachi HDTV set first. Couple questions.

1) What adapter is recomended for hooking it up to broadband? Looking for known ones that work well. Occassionaly I've tried stuff on other devices that for whatever reason just didn't work well together.

2) What Amps are recommended for boosting signal strength? I've got my cable split into two separate splitters. One is for the cable modem, but the other splitter is for a TV in the living room, the vcr so it gets the guide+ info, a tv in each of two bedrooms, and I think that's it.

I found one at smarthome.com, its a Terk 15db amp. Is anyone using this? Are there others that work well for less?

Old 01-03-2005, 01:57 PM   #67
Navarre

Right, but those are like $50. There's a couple at Best Buy for like $30 that I was curious about. Natuarally tivo will provide some, but they will of course charge far more than what is reasonable.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:00 PM   #68
tabman345

HD and the RSTX20

I recently bought the TX20 and have had no problems to date (okay I've only had it for about 1.5 weeks). I am not impressed with the picture quality and am struggling a little with my decision to but this knowing that I will watch poor picture quality during football season. Everyday shows seem to show well though.
tabman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:50 PM   #69
Desperado

Re: HD and the RSTX20

Quote:
Originally posted by tabman345
I recently bought the TX20 and have had no problems to date (okay I've only had it for about 1.5 weeks). I am not impressed with the picture quality and am struggling a little with my decision to but this knowing that I will watch poor picture quality during football season. Everyday shows seem to show well though.
I'm disappointed with the quality too. I've had mine for 4 days. An $80 Motorola signal amp didn't help for me. Wish I knew how the video quality of this unit compared to competitors...
Desperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:00 PM   #70
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

Re: Rebate question?

Quote:
Originally posted by musiclover408
Hi Toshiba lovers...
I am considering purchasing a TX-60 and will taking advantage of the TivoBasic service only since I already have 2 DirecTivos with all the regular Tivo functions. My question is will I be getting the $100 mail in rebate that is advertised with this unit if I don't subscribe for Tivo service?

Thanks!
I don't think that you will qualify for the rebate unless your unit is subscribed for at least a month. IMO, it is worth every penny for the full service. With TiVo basic, you are missing out on the best features.
LiveBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:55 PM   #71
ccrochet
Luv my RS-TX20

Home Media Option and the 'Free Trial'

Well,

It turns out all my problems were caused by the fact that I was still using the free trial, and hadn't registred with Tivo Central yet. Once I registered for the Plus service, the Music and Pictures option became available on my menu, I plugged in the IP address of my server, and away I went.

JavaHMO is working pretty well -- other than the off & on "unable to find server" problem (which seems pretty common based on the other threads). I am playing my music, running slideshows, and lovin' it!

LESSON LEARNED: FREE TRIAL DOESN'T SUPPORT USE OF THE HOME MEDIA OPTION. YOU MUST REGISTER IN ORDER TO USE IT IT SEEMS...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this one (don't want to spread propaganda).

Thanks!

-c

BTW... I elected to use the Linksys model WUSB11 wireless adapter for the Tivo. Works quite nicely with my home wireless B network. No hiccups at all when installing it.
ccrochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:14 PM   #72
Sirius_Tivo

Re: Re: HD and the RSTX20

Quote:
Originally posted by Desperado
I'm disappointed with the quality too. I've had mine for 4 days. An $80 Motorola signal amp didn't help for me. Wish I knew how the video quality of this unit compared to competitors...
I am very curious as to what equipment you are using and how it is connected. My video is very clear, and believe me I am not easily satisfied. There must be some explanation as to why you are not getting a first class picture.

For starters, here is what I have: The RS-TX60, being fed throgh S-Video by a Dish TV Sat HD tuner. Out of the RS-TX60 on the Component video jacks to a Sony 60" HD rear projection set. The picture quality is very good and works on HD as good as without the DVR (No HD recording).

My settings are set up for all "Progressive Scan" in TV and DVD. I am hoping your video quality problems are due to settings or connections.

S
Old 01-03-2005, 10:17 PM   #73
Sirius_Tivo

I forgot to say that in "settings" I set my display is set for 16x9...Have you set this parameter for your system?

S
Old 01-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #74
Desperado

Re: Re: Re: HD and the RSTX20

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirius_Tivo
I am very curious as to what equipment you are using and how it is connected. My video is very clear, and believe me I am not easily satisfied. There must be some explanation as to why you are not getting a first class picture.

For starters, here is what I have: The RS-TX60, being fed throgh S-Video by a Dish TV Sat HD tuner. Out of the RS-TX60 on the Component video jacks to a Sony 60" HD rear projection set. The picture quality is very good and works on HD as good as without the DVR (No HD recording).

My settings are set up for all "Progressive Scan" in TV and DVD. I am hoping your video quality problems are due to settings or connections.

S
Sirius - I have a similar setup, except cable instead of satellite. Digital cable coming out of the wall and into a 2-way splitter. From the splitter, one line goes to my cable modem for internet. The other goes into the Comcast cable box. RCA A/V out of the cable box and into the RS-TX60. Component A/V out of the RS-TX60 and into a 50" Samsung DLP HDTV. RS-TX60 set for progressive output; I'm pretty sure the TV is as well. I started playing around with different inputs this evening. I tried RCA inputs into the TV - picture may be slightly better but the blacks are crushed. That can probably be adjusted.

Anyway, it's getting late, so I'll have to fool with it tomorrow. I'll look more closely at the settings and maybe burn a DVD on the unit and play it back on my PC to see what it looks like.

If I can't get around this problem, though, this thing will be on ebay VERY soon. The quality isn't too bad, but it is noticeable and certainly not an improvement over VHS. Not worth the hassle. Thanks for your help though. If you think of any other suggestions, let me know.

Last edited by Desperado : 01-03-2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:51 AM   #75
TivoDaddy

Re: Re: Re: Re: HD and the RSTX20

Quote:
Sirius - I have a similar setup, except cable instead of satellite. Digital cable coming out of the wall and into a 2-way splitter. From the splitter, one line goes to my cable modem for internet. The other goes into the Comcast cable box. RCA A/V out of the cable box and into the RS-TX60. Component A/V out of the RS-TX60 and into a 50" Samsung DLP HDTV. RS-TX60 set for progressive output; I'm pretty sure the TV is as well. I started playing around with different inputs this evening. I tried RCA inputs into the TV - picture may be slightly better but the blacks are crushed. That can probably be adjusted.

Anyway, it's getting late, so I'll have to fool with it tomorrow. I'll look more closely at the settings and maybe burn a DVD on the unit and play it back on my PC to see what it looks like.

If I can't get around this problem, though, this thing will be on ebay VERY soon. The quality isn't too bad, but it is noticeable and certainly not an improvement over VHS. Not worth the hassle. Thanks for your help though. If you think of any other suggestions, let me know.
I have almost a similar system with almost the same type of TV as well (I have a 43" Sammy DLP). I have cable coming from the wall to a 3-way splitter; one goes to the cable modem, one to the cable box, and one to the RS-TX60. I don't record anything out of my cable box because we use it mostly for viewing HD programs and the various VOD movies (we have Netflix to satisfy our movie watching). My RS-TX60 replaced a stand-alone Series I unit, and it connects to the TV via the component cables using "progressive scan" and in 16x9 mode. The PQ of this unit compared with the Series I is extremely good but not the digital quality that you may be looking for.

The DVD PQ is very good. The recorded programs to DVD-R and -RW are dependent on what's feeding your TiVo; depending on the material, I have been recording between Medium and Best, and I can't tell the difference between High and Best on the recorded DVD on another TV. I don't think a standalone DVD recorder will make any difference as you will still be supplying the same input (but I may be wrong).

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #76
Desperado

Thanks TiVoDaddy. At this point, I'm thinking of selling the Toshiba and getting a standalone series-2 TiVo. If I encounter a program I want to keep, I'll dump it to VHS where I can edit the content (not necessarily just commercials - sometimes I only want to record a portion of a show, such as a guest segment on a talk show).

Anyway, I don't do a lot of tape collecting anymore, but I have tons of stuff on VHS (some almost 20 years old) that I'd like to eventually preserve. I may hold out a while longer to see if the compression technology improves. I'd love to try DirecTivo, but I have a condo and my patio faces the wrong direction.

Funny related story: In the apartment where I used to live, I had a patio that faced the direction of Dish Network's satellite, and I wanted to ditch cable in favor of the dish. Only problem was, there was an ugly (mostly dead) tree right in the line of site. Well, one day I went to Home Depot's rental dept and picked up a chainsaw......you can figure out the rest! I think the apt complex's maintenance crew suspected I did it, but they couldn't prove it!
Old 01-05-2005, 06:25 PM   #77
BamaSignMan

Sorry not to be as positive as most of you about my new RS-TX20. I like the functionality, but I have the following issues:

(a) Picture quality not as good as expected - not as good as direct RF from Cable.

(b) Noticable delay between audio and video. This problem has already been discuusd on another forum with no solution. I talked to Toshiba and was informed that it's just the way it is.

My hook-up is as follows:

RF Cable - RS-TX20 - SVideo to TV
RF to TV
Composite Audio to TV
Composite Audio and Otical Audio to Receiver

Problem exists with Live TV, is worse on saved shows, is even worse on burned DVD's.

Has anyone eelse experienced this delay problem? If so, is there a solution?
BamaSignMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:00 PM   #78
Desperado

I haven't had a problem with a "delay" yet...I assume you're meaning a sync problem. Is the audio input on your TV coming from the Toshiba box? If you take it straight from your cable/satellite box, you'll definitely have a sync problem.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:45 AM   #79
Navarre

Will it delay if you run a splitter to the tivo box and use component/optical going directly to tv/receiver? That's my hook up plan. I don't use a cable box, and when I get my new set I'll be using a cable card, so no box there.

Will run cable from a splitter to the tv, the tivo, and the cable modem.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:04 AM   #80
BamaSignMan

I have it set up several ways and get some delay on all.

All splitting for the entire house is done at a central location, so all units should be getting same signal.

I have one of these splits connected directly to TV via RF. One RF split connected to RS-TX20. RS-TX20 connected via S-Video to TV and via RF to TV. Also Optical to Receiver. The stright RF produces a signifcantly better picture than either of the RS-TX20 connections.

Less delay on RF, most on optical.

I did notice last night that the Toshiba manual actually addresses delay issues, suggesting changing channels and back, going to TIVO Central and choosing LiveTV option, or resetting as a way to help problem.

I'm coming from a cable DVR where there was no picture degradation and the ability to record 2 shows at same time, so I am frustrated with picture quality and the delay problem.

Whatever the problem is, if it doersn't get better, this unit will be showing up on ebay soon.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:39 AM   #81
Navarre

Wierd. I'm assuming the unit allows for possible firmware updates? Maybe its something they can fix.

I'm still a good month or two away from getting one. Possibly longer unless I shift upgrade priorities. I was planning on getting this right after the new tv, but I think I'll wait and get the new reciever and maybe the speakers first, give them time to iron it out.

Odd that optical would cause delay. Its about the best connection you can have. What about digital coax for sound?
Old 01-06-2005, 11:29 AM   #82
BamaSignMan

I may not have been as clear as possible about the delay. It's audio ahead of video. The faster optical connection exacerbates the problem.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #83
videowatcher

Re: Re: Re: Re: HD and the RSTX20

Quote:

Just set up my RX-TX60 - nice unit but BADLY crushed black.
This is worse than any VCR I've ever seen.

I called Toshiba and they are no help.

This goes back unless . . . . . .
Some one knows a solution.

I'm using:
Digital cable box directly to wall (unsplit)
S video connections
Sony XBR squared 100 TV

Even at best quality, the blacks are dominant. There is no such thing as dark gray.

Bypassing the Toshiba eliminates the crushed blacks.

A Tivo 140 DVR connected to the same outlets does not have this problem which make me think it has to be the Toshiba electronics.

I've played with all the settings on the TV to no avail.

Sorry to moan but I'm disappointed. Nice concept but very poor execution.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks
videowatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #84
tabman345

For those with picture quality issues, try the 24K Gold Monster cables from TiVo to TV. Made a noticeable difference for me. I'm happy, except for football but I can watch that through the splitter until the HD Cable version comes out.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:48 PM   #85
tabman345

Do we (TX-20) get the TiVoToGo?" Thanks
Old 01-07-2005, 04:46 PM   #86
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by tabman345
For those with picture quality issues, try the 24K Gold Monster cables from TiVo to TV.
Expensive cables are not going to improve poor picture quality due to compression.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:28 PM   #87
angel35

Re: Home Media Option and the 'Free Trial'

Quote:
Originally posted by ccrochet
Well,

It turns out all my problems were caused by the fact that I was still using the free trial, and hadn't registred with Tivo Central yet. Once I registered for the Plus service, the Music and Pictures option became available on my menu, I plugged in the IP address of my server, and away I went.

JavaHMO is working pretty well -- other than the off & on "unable to find server" problem (which seems pretty common based on the other threads). I am playing my music, running slideshows, and lovin' it!

LESSON LEARNED: FREE TRIAL DOESN'T SUPPORT USE OF THE HOME MEDIA OPTION. YOU MUST REGISTER IN ORDER TO USE IT IT SEEMS...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this one (don't want to spread propaganda).

Thanks! YOU ARE RIGHT> SAME THING HAPPEND TO ME !!!

-c

BTW... I elected to use the Linksys model WUSB11 wireless adapter for the Tivo. Works quite nicely with my home wireless B network. No hiccups at all when installing it.

angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 06:57 PM   #88
tabman345

Quote:
Expensive cables are not going to improve poor picture quality due to compression.
Perhaps it wasn't a compression issue with me but I will tell you No Doubt high quality cables from tivo to TV made a noticable difference on my TV. I have a 71" Toshiba cinema series and the Toshiba TX-20.

In fact I was seriously considering returning the thing until I tried the new cables. So, yes they do, at least for me. GL
Old 01-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #89
musiclover408

Quick question

Is the only difference between the TX20 and the TX60 just the size of the hard drive?

Thanks!
musiclover408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:22 PM   #90
Sirius_Tivo

Quote:
Desperado... I agree with you 100 percent. I am an Electronics Engineer and I am constantly amazed how companies like Monster Cables and the like get people to pay big bucks for cables they do not need. I have, and have always had, high quality audio systems and I use, and still use garden variety cable for speaker connections etc. I have tested these connections with various audio testing devices and I can say that those spending the big bucks on Monster Cables are throwing their money away.

The same holds true for gold plated connectors, super cables etc. I tell laymen that if gold plating was so important than the equipment manufacturers would also gold plate the connectors on their box... none except the rip-offs do. It makes no sense at all to waste money on these incredibly expensive interconnections, best spend ones money on things that count like speakers, displays etc.

My opinion, I know many will disagree or bash.

S