Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2004, 05:38 PM   #91
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert S
The UK TiVo is still running 2.5.5, so the 2.5 kernel seems appropriate. No complaints about it from UK users.

As for hnaparst's worries over swap, saying that 274Gb is the limit for 127Mb of swap is a convenient simplification. mfsfix requires exactly 128Mb of memory to check 274Gb of disk space. But the 127Mb of swap is not the only memory available to mfsfix - there's also about 10Mb of RAM available, so the true limit will be somewhere around the 300Gb mark for Series 1 stand alones, and a bit higher still for DTiVoes and Series 2's with their extra 16Mb of RAM.
right... so the message i want to make sure all those who are confused or concerned regarding the whole large swap file issue is this:

We understand the limitations of mfstools and the fact that a 127MB swap file is not large enough to handle invocations of mfsfix on systems with "very large drives" -- however we feel that it is not a problem worth worrying about, unless you have a particular interest in investigating and pursuing it. We believe that the "casual upgrader" should not be concerned about this issue at all - in fact, the energy/time/effort is definitely better spent, thoroughly running diagnostics on any drive you consider putting into your TiVo. In EVERY case where we've had a "green screened" drive returned to us, its been due to a bad hard drive; that means that whether mfsfix runs or not, you've still got an underlying problem.

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that a system that may be temporariliy recovered due to a GSOD, mfsfix revival, may give you the opportunity to rescue your content or settings, or whatever, however I still consider this to be a corner case, and I'd hate to see anyone losing sleep over not having a large swap because they either couldn't figure out how to do it, or where intimidated into not ugprading at all because they didn't think they could without having to have a large swap.

With that said, it can't hurt to have it, but again, don't sweat it because its just not that big of an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:21 AM   #92
eibgrad

CD v3.0 Works Great w/ Humax DRT800

Thank you for the v3.0 CD, worked great. Updated my Humax DRT800 "A" drive from a Seagate 80GB to Seagate 200GB. Incredibly easy, just followed Hinsdale documentation and used your CD. Took me about 3 hours, most of the time spent being VERY cautious and deliberate so as to avoid mistakes. Another upgrade I could probably do in 1 hour given what I know now.

Now if I could only find a way to make this 200GB as quiet as the original 80GB! Have since discovered Humax was using a special "U" version drive, which I think runs 5400RPM and uses acoustic management. I replaced it w/ a standard, retail Seagate 200GB HD, and wow, is it noisy compared to the original drive. Enough so I'm seriously considering going back to the 80GB HD unless I can find a means to quiet it down! That will be the "fly in the ointment" for a lot of people.

Anyway, that's another story, just wanted to provide some feedback to anyone who might interested in a similar upgrade and let them know this CD works great.

eibgrad
eibgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:25 PM   #93
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Re: CD v3.0 Works Great w/ Humax DRT800

Quote:
Originally posted by eibgrad
Thank you for the v3.0 CD, worked great. Updated my Humax DRT800 "A" drive from a Seagate 80GB to Seagate 200GB. Incredibly easy, just followed Hinsdale documentation and used your CD. Took me about 3 hours, most of the time spent being VERY cautious and deliberate so as to avoid mistakes. Another upgrade I could probably do in 1 hour given what I know now.

Now if I could only find a way to make this 200GB as quiet as the original 80GB! Have since discovered Humax was using a special "U" version drive, which I think runs 5400RPM and uses acoustic management. I replaced it w/ a standard, retail Seagate 200GB HD, and wow, is it noisy compared to the original drive. Enough so I'm seriously considering going back to the 80GB HD unless I can find a means to quiet it down! That will be the "fly in the ointment" for a lot of people.

Anyway, that's another story, just wanted to provide some feedback to anyone who might interested in a similar upgrade and let them know this CD works great.

eibgrad
Excellent, glad things went well. You may want to check the Seagate site to see if they have an acoustic management utility or research use of the "hdparm" command as I know it has some settings for Seagate drives (be careful, though - hdparm can do some nasty things).

Also, your drive may be noisier than usual right now because it may still be busy indexing guide data, and could settle down once its done with that...

Old 12-13-2004, 07:41 PM   #94
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

This has got to be somewhere and I apologize if it's been covered, but using the 3.0 CD, which set of instructions are most appropriate and current? Hinsdale, Weeknees interactive guide, or other?

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:17 PM   #95
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by dmk1974
This has got to be somewhere and I apologize if it's been covered, but using the 3.0 CD, which set of instructions are most appropriate and current? Hinsdale, Weeknees interactive guide, or other?
Shouldn't matter which one you choose, just make sure you read and understand the caveats associated with our CD (IE don't use the LBA48 CD to prepare a replacement drive on anything larger than 137GB unless you are doing a kernel transplant or the target TiVo unit has a native LBA48 kernel. If the guides you are referring to don't mention that, you should contact the authors to make sure they cover that issue, as well as any issues associated with using drives larger than 137GB, whether or not you use an LBA48 CD.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:41 PM   #96
Blurayfan

Thanks for the 3.0 CD it was a great help upgrading my new DirecTiVo R10 to use a 160GB drive to its full capacity. This gives you another unit to add to your list of native LBA48 supported kernels.
Blurayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:06 PM   #97
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by DVDKingdom
Thanks for the 3.0 CD it was a great help upgrading my new DirecTiVo R10 to use a 160GB drive to its full capacity. This gives you another unit to add to your list of native LBA48 supported kernels.
Oh good. That is good to hear. We haven't gotteh the R10 unit yet to test. Is there an 'official' model number for that or is it just "R10?"

Thx

Old 12-13-2004, 11:53 PM   #98
Blurayfan

Quote:
Originally posted by tivoupgrade
Oh good. That is good to hear. We haven't gotteh the R10 unit yet to test. Is there an 'official' model number for that or is it just "R10?"

Thx
R10 is the Official Model name. A Review of the R10 is available on this forum.
Blurayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 02:31 PM   #99
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

New Version

Quote:
Originally posted by DVDKingdom
Please see top post for updated info; new relase (4.0) incorporates R10 mention, but also some other goodies, including a complete rebuild of the BusyBox environment.

Old 12-19-2004, 12:41 PM   #100
kf6dky

I see PTV sells the drives with PTVnet installed and includes LBA48 support, is LBA48 support available for the Hughes DVR80 now? And is so, which utilities or .iso's will allow me to upgrade this?
kf6dky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:56 PM   #101
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by kf6dky
I see PTVupgrade sells the drives with PTVnet installed and includes LBA48 support, is LBA48 support available for the Hughes DVR80 now? And is so, which utilities or .iso's will allow me to upgrade this?
We don't offer a separate utility and kernel for support of LBA48 kernels on these units - we can't give everything away, you know? ;-)

Old 12-29-2004, 12:56 PM   #102
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

mfsrestore issues

Anyone having restore issues with the LBA48 CD resulting in a disk that won't boot in your TiVo, try one of the following:

Alternative 1: At boot time, use the "noswap" option

Alternative 2: When using mfsrestore, use the "-b" flag to turn off byte-swapping.

That should solve your problem. This was not an issue with the previous version of the boot cd (3.01) because we changed the default boot scenario from "noswap" to "swap" for devices hdb, hdc and hdd.

Should we switch it back?

If there is anyone available to help us build a new lba48 kernel that will work with the following option:

ide=nodma

Please contact me directly as I believe that will solve the problem and allow partitions to be mounted as "swap" at the same time.

Old 12-29-2004, 03:12 PM   #103
ashu
User title defunct

Ahh - is there a consistent pattern to the systems/upgrade scenarios this would affect?

In particular - (for a Humax DRT800 upgrade this weekend) I'm planning to use your LBA48 CD on a Seagate 300GB, connected as /dev/hdb, with my Humax DRT800's 80GB as /dev/hda. Should I anticipate any problems? Should I connect them any differently?

I plan to do a backup-all (including shows) ... I'm VERY patient

Thanks!

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:48 PM   #104
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

No idea. Only your feedback will help us determine whether there is any consistent pattern; we don't have enough info to generalize about any problems, however my previous post was targeted towards those with that specific problem.

Old 12-31-2004, 07:09 PM   #105
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

4.01 CD Released

Never should have changed the boot defaults; back to normal again with version 4.01...

http://www.ptvupgrade.com/products/s...a48/index.html

Old 01-01-2005, 11:52 AM   #106
DonnelleyPCDude

After reading through most of the posts, I myself am a little confused; is the copykern for only the new drive over 160. A year ago I upgraded from the factory 20 gig to a 100 gig, but now that drive occasionally stutters, so I upgraded to 160 ( since it could be failing), but still only see the same 114 hrs. I tried the copykern and it appeared to go flawlessly, yet the same 114 hr limit applies. Do I need to apply the copykern to the 100 gig drive PRIOR to copying to the 160. I know I made a mistake somewhere, ideas anyone?

Is there a better thread for me to be in?

PS The occasional stuttering is now gone, so I think the drive was going bad.

Donnelley
DonnelleyPCDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #107
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by DonnelleyPCDude
After reading through most of the posts, I myself am a little confused; is the copykern for only the new drive over 160. A year ago I upgraded from the factory 20 gig to a 100 gig, but now that drive occasionally stutters, so I upgraded to 160 ( since it could be failing), but still only see the same 114 hrs. I tried the copykern and it appeared to go flawlessly, yet the same 114 hr limit applies. Do I need to apply the copykern to the 100 gig drive PRIOR to copying to the 160. I know I made a mistake somewhere, ideas anyone?

Is there a better thread for me to be in?

PS The occasional stuttering is now gone, so I think the drive was going bad.

Donnelley
CopyKern replaces the kernel with an lba48-enabled one, and also initializes your swap space (this is useful for folks who have created one greater than 127MB for which MFStools does not have the ability to properly initialize). CopyKern is simply a script which essentially invokes tpip to do the work. Replacing the kernel will do nothing more than give you a kernel capable of handling the larger address space on your larger drive, but if you didn't do your upgrade properly (ie expand to fill the space of your 160GB drive), its not going to do you much good. You probably need to take a few steps back, and review your upgrade steps to ensure you expanded/utilized the drive properly and then go and use CopyKern to replace the kernel.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:15 AM   #108
kennet6565

Directions for LBA 48 install

I have put larger drives (80gb & 160gb) in my Hughes DVR40's and used Intsant Cake. Everyhting works perfectly. I would appreciate it if someone would give the string to expand the drives, using the PTVupgrades Universal Upgrade CD Ver. 10. Thanks
kennet6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #109
DonnelleyPCDude

After some thought, I am thinking that since the main focus of this upgrade was to solve the stuttering issue, and also to get a much quieter drive (WD100gig with AMSET wasn't that quiet), it may be prudent to NOT open the drive the whole way. The idea was to use copykern to upgrade to the lba48-enabled one, but if another software release comes out, won't it replace my current kernel with a non lba48-enabled one, since I have a Series One. I don't want to kill the drive I have, even though I still have the original 20 gig (with the oldest sw version I am sure) and the failing-but-still-usable 100 gig. These other drives have not been upgraded with the new lba48-enabled kernel, so I want to keep them unaltered in case I need to use them for recovery.

Has anyone ever had a lba48-enabled kernel be replaced with a software upgrade from TIVO. Am I being too paranoid? Will it simply not happen the way I think it might?

Thanks in advance,

Donnelley
DonnelleyPCDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:30 PM   #110
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by DonnelleyPCDude
After some thought, I am thinking that since the main focus of this upgrade was to solve the stuttering issue, and also to get a much quieter drive (WD100gig with AMSET wasn't that quiet), it may be prudent to NOT open the drive the whole way. The idea was to use copykern to upgrade to the lba48-enabled one, but if another software release comes out, won't it replace my current kernel with a non lba48-enabled one, since I have a Series One. I don't want to kill the drive I have, even though I still have the original 20 gig (with the oldest sw version I am sure) and the failing-but-still-usable 100 gig. These other drives have not been upgraded with the new lba48-enabled kernel, so I want to keep them unaltered in case I need to use them for recovery.

Has anyone ever had a lba48-enabled kernel be replaced with a software upgrade from TIVO. Am I being too paranoid? Will it simply not happen the way I think it might?

Thanks in advance,

Donnelley
The LBA48 thread in the underground is probably a better place for this question.

Short answer: If you have a Series1 SA unit, you are being paranoid - that product was EOL'ed like two years ago - ie no software updates coming. If you have a Series1 DirecTV unit, your unit is likely to semi-survive a software upgrade; just rerun copykern again after it downloads a new software update. Chances are you are being a bit more cautious than you need to be, but its good to have your eyes open enough to know what you are doing.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #111
cr33p

Hi im a newbie but have been trying very hard to do this without asking for help and read up on as much info that I thought would be sufficient, last nite I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my tcd540040 machine. I have 2 160 gig hitachi drives. I used the boot cd from ptvugrades web site. And yes it was for lba48. i copied the image to my windows drive then loaded it to my new A drive booted the tivo and it worked no problems. then i plugged in all the drives the way the directions said and did the long option to copy all my originall data to the new a drive and at the same time restore it and expand both the a drive and the b drive. now it finished with no errors. i boot it up and it says welcome powering up and then the screen switches to the tv that is incoming and then back and forth with it all distorted. Any ideas please help

thanks
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:55 PM   #112
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by cr33p
Hi im a newbie but have been trying very hard to do this without asking for help and read up on as much info that I thought would be sufficient, last nite I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my tcd540040 machine. I have 2 160 gig hitachi drives. I used the boot cd from ptvugrades web site. And yes it was for lba48. i copied the image to my windows drive then loaded it to my new A drive booted the tivo and it worked no problems. then i plugged in all the drives the way the directions said and did the long option to copy all my originall data to the new a drive and at the same time restore it and expand both the a drive and the b drive. now it finished with no errors. i boot it up and it says welcome powering up and then the screen switches to the tv that is incoming and then back and forth with it all distorted. Any ideas please help

thanks
You've probably reconnected your TiVo incorrectly or possibly have a bad cable. Please note that this thread is not for "general upgrade support" if you have a problem that is directly related to our CD, please post it here, of course, if your questions aren't specifically answered in the upgrade guides referenced in the first post of this thread. Thx.

Old 01-02-2005, 05:15 PM   #113
cr33p

I have a 40/80 cable . is this not the correct one to use? I know the cable works because its working in the windows pc to do the upgrade.
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:09 PM   #114
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Perhaps I'm missing something incredibly obvious, but on a Series 1 combo box (DirecTiVo, whatever you wish to call it), you have to flash the PROM to use a non-standard kernel. I don't see any evidence on this thread that the ISO provides a means to do this.

How is this situation handled with this ISO?

Brad
bsnelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:22 PM   #115
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by bsnelson
Perhaps I'm missing something incredibly obvious, but on a Series 1 combo box (DirecTiVo, whatever you wish to call it), you have to flash the PROM to use a non-standard kernel. I don't see any evidence on this thread that the ISO provides a means to do this.

How is this situation handled with this ISO?

Brad
It doesn't (yet) - it was actually in the process of dealing with this that I ran into the swap/noswap/dma issues. The best way to flash is either by using this cd here for now. You can use the instructions provided here, as well.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:06 PM   #116
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

Quote:
It doesn't (yet) - it was actually in the process of dealing with this that I ran into the swap/noswap/dma issues. The best way to flash is either by using this cd here for now. You can use the instructions provided here, as well.
I tried using that, and after the standard reboot (which is where I believe it flashes the PROM) I get "cannot boot kernel"... have you had others with this issue? I have a S1 DTivo with a 200GB drive (and have done the 'copykern' part, then rebooted with the flash bootdisk and did the ./tivoflash/install)
Old 01-03-2005, 07:07 PM   #117
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

I would try reinstalling the kernel again, and reflashing, just in case the flash didn't take place. Oh, and make sure you are installing the right kernel.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #118
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

Quote:
I would try reinstalling the kernel again, and reflashing, just in case the flash didn't take place. Oh, and make sure you are installing the right kernel.
That's what I did.... I did copykern off the Large Disc bootdisc, then rebooted and did the flash... then I put the drive back in the tivo and turned it on.. it started booting, then rebooted, then said cannot boot kernel.

At the reboot point, should I take the drive back out of the tivo and do the copykern again?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:58 PM   #119
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

ok I tried it again and noticed an error this time.. when I run copykern, and put all the parameters in, I get

Quote:
tpip: unknown boot block signature 0xd01668d7
Does it sound like something happened to the drive? I swear I didn't boot to Windows with it attached, but it sounds like that's what happened... I do have a full backup from before I put the new drive in, so I can restore it if needed...

Does that sound like the problem?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:10 PM   #120
maximian

Will, the PTVupgrade CD w/ LBA48 support upgrade my SD-DVR80 DirecTivo to 250 Gig version? I wish to replace the existing drive, save all programs, + season passes, etc, and swap in a 250 Gig drive. Will I see all 250 Gig of capacity? Just wanted to be clear.

I am running version 3.1.1e
maximian is offline   Reply With Quote