TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2004, 09:28 PM   #31
Magnum 4i

I too have the Toshiba model that i got for xmas. I am a newbie as well. My problem is...why am i viewing the tv stations on my video button for my TV. This prevents me using playstation. I have a receiver but still my PS2 doesnt work. Do I need an "RW" or RL modulator???
Magnum 4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 09:45 PM   #32
Lday

I have run the guided set up again, to no avail. I am really stumped. The frustration is with the long, on-hold waits for TiVo and then the message that says, if you have another manufacturer unit, call them not us? I went to Toshiba's website and it did not really offer any support for this topic. If anyone has any ideas I appreciate it. The on-hold wait for Comcast was daunting also, so I will just wait until the busy time is over.
Lday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #33
TivoDaddy

Stealontgt, it looks like you don't have the IR blaster located properly next to your cable box to have the TiVo box change the channels like LiveBlues described.

Lday, did you select the correct zip code and cable lineup? For example, digital cable, basic cable? If your lineup is not listed you may have to let TiVo CS know that. Also if the TiVo model is not included then you have to call TiVo CS to help you at as well. I can't recall correctly, but I remember that there was a special code that you type into the remote and it would go through all the codes so it would conceivably catch your TV model code. If I remember, I'll post it.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:37 PM   #34
Desperado

OK, my RS-TX60 is on its way! I ordered from buydig.com, as suggested by LiveBlues, so if it arrives broken, I'm coming after you! ...Just kidding. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know when it arrives.
Desperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:35 PM   #35
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

TivoDaddy, thanks for picking up the slack. I've been pretty busy today.

Desperado, I sure hope that it arrives in working condition.
LiveBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:45 AM   #36
TivoDaddy

LiveBlues, I'm your wingman!
Old 12-29-2004, 01:36 PM   #37
tivo_timmy

Issues with viewing DVDs

I just installed an RS-TX60 without complication. Everything seemed to work great at first, but after viewing a movie on DVD, the machine will not reconize ANY DVDs.

I have reset the DVD settings and re-booted the machine. The next step, I guess, is to re-run guided setup.

Toshiba support has not been helpful.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to get this thing to recognize DVDs again?
tivo_timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 06:55 PM   #38
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

When you rebooted, did you do it from the menu, or did you pull the plug?

If you just restarted, I would try powering it down. Other than that, I don't have any ideas, as I haven't experienced that problem (or any others).
Old 12-29-2004, 10:26 PM   #39
waxwing1

Just bought and installed a Toshiba RS-TX20. I get grainy pictures on two of the cable channels (30 and 31) while the rest are acceptable. I'm using the bypass (I think that's what it is called) RF outlet on the DVD player to send a cable signal straight to the TV. Channels 30 and 31 look great when I use that signal instead of the TiVo signal. I was wondering if splitting the signal at the DVD player could cause some signal loss for the TiVo side? Would it be better to send two completely separate cables starting at the original point of entry rather than one cable to the DVD and then from DVD to TV?

Thanks.

Other ideas about the poor quality for those two channels would be appreciated. (sorry about the double post but I got no response in the help forum from the same post a few days ago.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waxwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:51 AM   #40
loonyboi

So I finally have my TX20 all set up, and it's indexing now...

Question for owners: is there any way to eject the DVD tray from the remote, or does it always have to be done via the menus (or physically on the unit).

I have no idea why, but I always like having it on the remote.
loonyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 08:19 PM   #41
sjrick

Has anyone had any tracking problems with the RS-TX60 DVD player ? just this evening, i popped in a movie and it started 2 minutes into the movie, then I paused it and moved back a frame at a time and from then on it would not play movies clearly. I tried three seperate movies and each one would not track properly. I fear it may be broken already. I havent even had it a month yet. Anyone else have tracking troubles on the dvd player ?

Last edited by sjrick : 12-30-2004 at 08:37 PM.
sjrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:07 PM   #42
dtivofan23
TiVo addict

burn question

is it true that the tivo/dvd units dont allow u to edit out commercials on shows that you record from the hard drive to dvd?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:08 PM   #43
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally posted by loonyboi
So I finally have my TX20 all set up, and it's indexing now...

Question for owners: is there any way to eject the DVD tray from the remote, or does it always have to be done via the menus (or physically on the unit).

I have no idea why, but I always like having it on the remote.
You can't specifically do it from the remote, but you can from the TiVo menu using the remote.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:09 PM   #44
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

Re: burn question

Quote:
Originally posted by dtivofan23
is it true that the tivo/dvd units dont allow u to edit out commercials on shows that you record from the hard drive to dvd?
Yes, that is correct. No editing capabilities.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:02 AM   #45
sjrick

ok i fixed the problem. I simply unplugged the unit and waited a minute or two then plugged it back in. Man i wish i could do that with my VCR's. Plug and Play,,LOL

Regarding the editing of commercials- I love South park and can fit 4 shows on a single dvd. Now considering the speed of the Tivo with regard to skipping ads,, its no big deal. I think you have to wait all of 10 seconds.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:35 AM   #46
loonyboi

Quote:
Originally posted by LiveBlues
You can't specifically do it from the remote, but you can from the TiVo menu using the remote.
There's really no way to do it? Not even some RF code for another DVD player that happens to work with this one?

How frustrating.

Not that it's a big deal or anything, it's just I'm reprogramming my Pronto to work with the TX20 and I'll miss that eject button.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:58 AM   #47
Desperado

I never understood remote control eject buttons. You still have to get up to take out the discs...
Old 12-31-2004, 11:02 AM   #48
loonyboi

Quote:
Originally posted by Desperado
I never understood remote control eject buttons. You still have to get up to take out the discs...
Yeah I know, it makes no sense. But I love them nonetheless.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:33 PM   #49
sjrick

the remote eject is great for someone thats standing too close to your stuff. You can hit and it and freak them out. Of course you run the option of having them freak out and rip out your system.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:00 PM   #50
ivyfalls

Note

Hubby and I got the RS-TX60 for Christmas. Finally had success with wiring and such today. Haven't tried recording to DVD yet, but will try it out soon. I love trading in two boxes (old Tivo and DVD player) for one and also consolidating remotes. Since we can control the TV input , power and volume with the DVR remote (and of course it is also the DVD playing remote), we rarely need to use the other remotes. Yeah!!
ivyfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 12:32 PM   #51
Desperado

Add my name to the owners club. I just got mine yesterday via FedEx. I don't have a land line so I took it to work with me last night (yes, I had to work NYE) and went through the initial setup. It did bug me for a video input signal at one point, but I did my homework so I was prepared.

This morning I went out and bought the ethernet adapter I needed to hook up to my network. I just plugged it in and it seems to be working - no other configuration required!! I'm doing a forced connection to TiVo right now, and it's about halfway done with the "loading data" process. I don't know what the heck it's loading, but it sure is taking a while.

I did notice some loss of video quality when I tested it, but I was kind of expecting that as well. I know it's because the video is being processed, but this certainly isn't DVD quality, and I'm a little concerned about how recordings are going to look. If this is how recorded shows are going to look, I'll be disappointed. I'll certainly need to run a clean/non-TiVo line to my HDTV if I keep this thing.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my experience so far. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:12 PM   #52
sjrick

Desperado, how many ways is your cable line split ? i ran a new clean line to mine. It seemed to help a bit. I agree the quality can only be as good as the original line in.

What do you mean your doing a forced connection ? Your tivo is set, by default, to best quality picture when recording, you may experiment and see what works best for you.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:12 PM   #53
Desperado

sjrick -

Cable coming in from the wall is split two ways. One goes to the cable modem; the other goes into the cable box. RCA A/V out of the cable box, into tivo. Componenet video/RCA audio out of tivo, into the TV. I don't think it's a signal loss issue. It looks like compression artifacts. I've seen it before. You think an amp would help?

I know it's set to best picture quality...that's what worries me! I just noticed a slight audio sync issue after changing channels. Oh well. I'm not in a hurry to convert my VHS tapes to digital right now...

By forced connection, I just meant I went into network settings and had the box connect to tivo as a test. It's done now. The network seems OK.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #54
sjrick

Actually i have an amp for my entire house . A tech told me to use the amp just as it comes into your home then split it from there. He said the signal would benefit from the amp at the begining as opposed to the far reaches of your home.

I have 8 splits and theres some loss in signal due to so many splits but i bought high end Acoustic Reseach cables and they made a big difference.

You can also compare Tivo to regular tv and see the delay in it, Like when im watching football, i can see a loss in picture quality. Thats why i only use tivo for tv shows and such, watching sports on Tivo isnt as sharp as regular tv.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #55
Desperado

I might consider getting an amp, but I don't see how it would affect the appearance of the compressed video. I assume that shows recorded on the hard drive or on DVD-R/-RW will have the same look? Would a standalone DVD recorder produce a better quality recording since it's not going through a hard drive first? (I was mainly looking for a DVD recorder, but went with this unit for the added bonus of having TiVo.)

Anyway, maybe I'm being too harsh. I'll give it some more time. The quality issue is definitely bothering me though.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #56
Sirius_Tivo

Add me to the list also. Received mt RS-TX60 Friday. It's been up and running great for two days now. I have it networked to the internet via my wireless home network. I am a Dis Network subscriber and have a Dish HD box feeding the DVR. Set up was easy and went very smoothly.

Next step will be to network the DVR to my laptop via the wireless connection. Looking at the setup instructions they ask for the IP address of the computer with the "TIVO Desktop Software". Does anyone know what software they are referring to? I received no software with the DVR. Maybe download from TIVO's web page?

I am a first time TIVO and 1st time DVR user. I am having fun now! :}
Old 01-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #57
Stealontgt

Arrow Off the wall question - TIVO Stock

Finally go t my TIVO unit for Xmas (Toshiba RS-TX60 ) and it is great, but I have been a Share Holder for over a year. I haven't looked at my portfolio in 4 months (I know pretty slack hugh). To make a long response short my stock has fallen from $11 to $5.80. What baffles me is how cool of a product TIVO is for TV viewers, and given this benefit why did the stock take a nose dive?
Stealontgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #58
ivyfalls

Hi Sirius,
You probably have figured this out by now, but I have just read your post. My husband downloaded the TIVO desktop software from the TIVO site. I have found that sometimes the TIVO site is difficult to navigate. I usually go to the customer support page and 'search' for what I am looking for. We have used the software to view photos on the TV from the laptop, but not for music yet. Glad to hear you are enjoying your Toshiba.
ivyfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:21 PM   #59
Victrola

Re: Off the wall question - TIVO Stock

Quote:
Originally posted by Stealontgt
Finally go t my TIVO unit for Xmas (Toshiba RS-TX60 ) and it is great, but I have been a Share Holder for over a year. I haven't looked at my portfolio in 4 months (I know pretty slack hugh). To make a long response short my stock has fallen from $11 to $5.80. What baffles me is how cool of a product TIVO is for TV viewers, and given this benefit why did the stock take a nose dive?
Im no stock expert, but could it be due to the new cable box DVR (ie, Motorola DCT6412) that some of the cable companies are coming out with very recently?

I dunno!!
Victrola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 06:18 PM   #60
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

Re: Off the wall question - TIVO Stock

Quote:
Originally posted by Stealontgt
Something to keep in mind is that stock talk is not allowed on this forum, regardless of how innocent it may be.