TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2004, 10:38 AM   #151
bedelman
Call me Bob

It shouldn't drop out just because of the weaker signal. However, you might be getting either some interference from something like a 2.4GHz phone -- or you might be picking up someone else's wireless network.

Is the wireless network name (SSID) of your router set to "linksys"? If it is, there might be another "linksys" network near you that is causing confusion on the wireless connection. ("linksys" is the default SSID value used by Linksys wireless routers -- just like Negear uses "NETGEAR" and D-Link uses "default")

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 12:58 PM   #152
bosox18

MA111 woes

I have the exact same problem as Ron90069 (Post #95).

I plugged in the Netgear MA111, supposedly compatible, with my Tivo2 series (540???) and it worked immediately. It was recognized by the Tivo, received a good signal, called in fine.

This didn't last, however. After somewhere between 10 minutes and (the record) 90 minutes, the MA111 is no longer recognized as being attached to the Tivo. Sometimes the green power light goes off, sometimes it remains on, but in either case, Tivo doesn't think anything is attached.

If I unplug it and plug it back in, everything is fine for a few more minutes.

I've tried everything, booting and rebooting the router, the cable modem, the Tivo. Nothing works. If this is incompatible with my version, I sure wish it was mentioned.

Frustrated in upstate N.Y.
bosox18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:19 PM   #153
bedelman
Call me Bob

Re: MA111 woes

Quote:
Originally posted by bosox18
I have the exact same problem as Ron90069 (Post #95).

I plugged in the Netgear MA111, supposedly compatible, with my Tivo2 series (540???) and it worked immediately. It was recognized by the Tivo, received a good signal, called in fine.

This didn't last, however. After somewhere between 10 minutes and (the record) 90 minutes, the MA111 is no longer recognized as being attached to the Tivo. Sometimes the green power light goes off, sometimes it remains on, but in either case, Tivo doesn't think anything is attached.

If I unplug it and plug it back in, everything is fine for a few more minutes.

I've tried everything, booting and rebooting the router, the cable modem, the Tivo. Nothing works. If this is incompatible with my version, I sure wish it was mentioned.

Frustrated in upstate N.Y.
I've had a similar experience but I know of others for whom the MA111 has worked. Personally, I think it was an incompatibility between the chipset in the MA111 and the Lucent chipset that was in my Apple Airport Base Station. I ended up switching over to a Belkin adapter (I didn't change anything else -- just swapped out the adapter), and my problem went away.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:26 AM   #154
ElVee
I have an old sumo

Quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
It shouldn't drop out just because of the weaker signal. However, you might be getting either some interference from something like a 2.4GHz phone -- or you might be picking up someone else's wireless network.

Is the wireless network name (SSID) of your router set to "linksys"? If it is, there might be another "linksys" network near you that is causing confusion on the wireless connection. ("linksys" is the default SSID value used by Linksys wireless routers -- just like Negear uses "NETGEAR" and D-Link uses "default")
I changed the name from linksys to something else the first day I installed it. I also disabled the broadcast of the SSID, changed from channel 11 and enabled WEP encryption.

I do have a 2.4 GHz phone, but I don't have a problem using my laptop from the same room as the Series II TiVo.

Do you think somthing like the Linksys WRE54G Wireless G-Range Expander or a Linksys WAP54G Wireless-G Access Point would help?

From the Linksys Web Site:
"The Wireless-G Range Expander is compatible with the Linksys WAP54G Access Point, and both the WRT54G and WRT54GS Wireless Routers. It works with both Wireless-G and Wireless-B clients so you'll get the benefits of increased coverage, even with a mixed network."

- DirecTv HR20-700 - Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY
- DirecTv HR20-700 - Panasonic TH-50PX600U
- DirecTv HR10-250 HD TiVo
- Sony SV2000 & SV3000
ElVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:26 AM   #155
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by ElVee
Do you think somthing like the Linksys WRE54G Wireless G-Range Expander or a Linksys WAP54G Wireless-G Access Point would help?
I have no experience with the Linksys extenders. I'm using WDS (wireless distribution system) to connect an Apple Airport Extreme and an Airport Express together though. I have one TiVo that only got about 35% signal and I didn't have any dropout issues with it at all (that was before the WDS work -- after the WDS its signal is now about 52%)

Old 12-02-2004, 10:45 AM   #156
Flick599

Netgear MA111

Just got a Netgear MA111 last night, and after several frustrating attempts to get Tivo to see it, I realized that it was a v2, which Tivo notes is not compatible. My question is what is the difference between v1 and v2 that make v2 not compatible?

Thanks,

Chris
Flick599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:53 AM   #157
bedelman
Call me Bob

Re: Netgear MA111

Quote:
Originally posted by Flick599
Just got a Netgear MA111 last night, and after several frustrating attempts to get Tivo to see it, I realized that it was a v2, which Tivo notes is not compatible. My question is what is the difference between v1 and v2 that make v2 not compatible?
Although the case may be the same, the electronics inside the case are completely different. The newer versions are usually produced to take advantage of lower priced components which reduce the production costs. Since the chipset is usually changed, the new "version" needs an entirely different driver.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:53 PM   #158
ElVee
I have an old sumo

Quote:
I have no experience with the Linksys extenders. I'm using WDS (wireless distribution system) to connect an Apple Airport Extreme and an Airport Express together though. I have one TiVo that only got about 35% signal and I didn't have any dropout issues with it at all (that was before the WDS work -- after the WDS its signal is now about 52%)
As for the weak signal, as per tivo.com, I moved the USB adapter further away from the TiVo and the signal has now jumped to 70-80%.

I still get the back and forth between having an IP address and not.

I just unplugged my 2.4 GHz phone and the IP has not dropped for 15 minutes (before it was more like every minute).

So sounds like that could be the problem. Is there anything I can do, short of getting a new phone, to eliminate/reduce the interference?

- Sony SV2000 & SV3000
Old 12-03-2004, 03:10 PM   #159
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
I just unplugged my 2.4 GHz phone and the IP has not dropped for 15 minutes (before it was more like every minute).

So sounds like that could be the problem. Is there anything I can do, short of getting a new phone, to eliminate/reduce the interference?
Changing the phone type is the sure-fire solution. Other things that might help a bit:
  • Try changing the wireless to use channel 11, 1, or 6. Many people report 11 has fewer problems with 2.4GHz phones.
  • Move the phone's base as far away from your wireless access point as possible.
  • Use the phone with the antenna down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:25 PM   #160
ElVee
I have an old sumo

Quote:
Originally posted by ccwf
Changing the phone type is the sure-fire solution. Other things that might help a bit:
  • Try changing the wireless to use channel 11, 1, or 6. Many people report 11 has fewer problems with 2.4GHz phones.
  • Move the phone's base as far away from your wireless access point as possible.
  • Use the phone with the antenna down.
Unfortunately, the phone base is downstairs, almost directly under the wireless router and neither one can be moved. I tried putting the phone base antenna down, but that did not help.

I'm already using channel 6. I'll try going to channel 1 or back to channel 11.

If nothing else works, I will either look into the 5.4 MGhz phones or go back to my old 900 MGhz.

- Sony SV2000 & SV3000
Old 12-03-2004, 03:27 PM   #161
bedelman
Call me Bob

I've heard that some brands/types of 2.4GHz phones are more "friendly" to 802.11b/g networks than others. Sorry I can't give you any more specifics (I use 900MHz phones).

Old 12-03-2004, 04:10 PM   #162
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, the phone base is downstairs, almost directly under the wireless router and neither one can be moved. I tried putting the phone base antenna down, but that did not help.
Actually, I meant the antenna on the phone itself, not the base.
Quote:
I've heard that some brands/types of 2.4GHz phones are more "friendly" to 802.11b/g networks than others. Sorry I can't give you any more specifics
With the ones that stick to specific frequencies, you can try to pick one that doesn't intefere as much. But most hop around.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-04-2004, 08:43 AM   #163
ElVee
I have an old sumo

Well, I've switched to channel 11 and it seems to be working well now. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Thanks for the help, bedelman and ccwf.

- Sony SV2000 & SV3000
Old 12-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #164
bosox18

Netgear MA111

I am one of the several people who have had problems with the MA111 becoming recognized by Tivo after being plugged in for just a few minutes.

No, I don't have any solution. I gave up and picked up a Hawking Tech WU250 cheap and it works perfectly.
bosox18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:29 PM   #165
Russ37

Ok, I am at my Wit's end here.

About a month back lightning surged through my phone line and killed my Tivo's Modem. Since then I have been trying to find ways to fix it. It took me a week just to get the phone line repaired and isolate all the damage.

I finally got an acceptable Wireless adapter for my Tivo since I can no longer connect by phone, but the Wireless adapter is having some sort of issue now.

I have used this board and the Tivo site to try many things like manually entering the IP numbers and such, but have still had no luck. The best result I ever got was that it just said 'NEGOTIATING' until it timed out.

Forgive me for directly posting my query here if that's frowned upon, but I work a lot of hours in the day, and my research and problem solving time is limited, I greatly want my Tivo back.

I am using the LinkSYS WUSB11 version 2.8 USB Adapter for the Tivo and my Router is a Linksys 802.11b.

I know someone has had to have had a similar problem, and can offer some new and possibly final advice on how I can get this to work.

Thanks to all!
Russ37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:44 PM   #166
discostu1

Hi all,
I have a question about wireless adapters. I have a Series 2 with the Belkin F5D6050 and it works fine. I just bought a second unit and I am looking to set that one up for as cheap as possible.
Is there a more up to date list of "compatible" adapters than the list on tivo.com? I see it still lists my Belkin as one that "has been reported to work", yet it wouldn't work if Tivo didn't load the drivers on there for us. So shouldn't it be listed under the "supported" section? Anyway, if I throw a bigger net, I could find a cheaper adapter. I see a real steal on a Belkin F5D6130, but that is not listed anywhere as having worked with Tivo yet. All the Linksys adapters are way too expensive for me so far.
Thanks for any info!!
Discostu
discostu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 04:25 PM   #167
dvanthul

In reviewing the approved USB adaptors I find all our the 802.11a type. Any hope that a 801.11g type is coming soon. I would prefer not to downgrade my net from the g type or spend the money when I would have to do it again.

Dave Van Thull
Old 12-28-2004, 07:40 PM   #168
mstenzel

Does the NETGEAR MA111 come with v.1

I want to buy the NETGEAR MA111 usb adapter. I'm looking at one at Amazon, but I'm not sure if it will be compatible. The list over at tivo.com's adapter page (sorry, can't post a link as per forum rules for newbies) states that v. 1 will work but that v. 2 will not.

My question: Will a new, out-of-the-box adapter come with only v. 1? From my reading, I think that v. 2 is a firmware upgrade that is obtained only via upgrade from Netgear's web site. But I wanted to confirm that v. 2 doesn't ship with new products before I buy the adapter. Obviously, if it comes with v. 1, then I will not upgrade it and it should work fine with my Series 2.

I'm looking specifically at Netgear because I already have a Netgear wireless router and wireless card for my laptop. Am I correct in assuming that for compatibility's sake, it is better to stick with one manufacturer?

Thanks,
Marcus
mstenzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:07 PM   #169
bedelman
Call me Bob

The v1 and v2 are different pieces of hardware on the inside of the case. There is no firmware update that changes a v1 to a v2 -- they really are different adapters. The electronics are not the same -- the only thing that is the same is the outer case.

Old 12-28-2004, 08:10 PM   #170
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Does the NETGEAR MA111 come with v.1

Quote:
Originally posted by mstenzel
From my reading, I think that v. 2 is a firmware upgrade that is obtained only via upgrade from Netgear's web site.
I did some quick web searching and found info that the MA111 v1 uses a Prism chipset and the MA111 v2 uses SiS 162. So, they are totally different hardware and not just a firmware upgrade.

Further searching reveals that SiS 162 drivers are only officially available for some (not all) versions of Windows at this time. SiS has released a Linux driver for that chipset, but it apparently does not work with all versions of Linux.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-29-2004, 02:39 PM   #171
mstenzel

NETGEAR MA111

Thanks for the replies.

So, bottom line is this: If I buy any NETGEAR MA111 adapter without seeing the box or some label that indicates version, I will have no idea whether I'm getting v. 1 or v. 2. Thus, it will be a crapshoot as to whether the adapter will work with my Tivo Series 2.

Is it recommended that I stick with Netgear as that's my router brand?

Marcus
Old 12-29-2004, 02:43 PM   #172
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: NETGEAR MA111

Quote:
Originally posted by mstenzel
Is it recommended that I stick with Netgear as that's my router brand?
Unless you can be sure or can usefully stick the MA111 on a computer if it turns out to be the wrong version, I would get a different adapter.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-29-2004, 03:37 PM   #173
mstenzel

Thanks ccwf.

Does anyone know any reason why the D-Link DWL-122 would NOT work with a Netgear wireless router?

Thanks.

"For the rest of us!"
Old 01-03-2005, 11:21 PM   #174
ack_thbbft

Hello all,

I did not expect to have nearly as much trouble as I am having setting up my wireless USB adapter and router to get this thing working. Here's what I have:

Series2 running software 5.3-01-2-540
Linksys WRT54G wireless router, firmware 3.01.3 (latest)
DLink DWL-122

Connecting the wireless USB adapter made my TiVo install the firmware update for the adapter, as expected. No worries.

The wireless transmitter on the router is on, SSID transmit is enabled (customized name), and the TiVo identifies my router's SSID automatically on the "closed/peer-to-peer" screen.

That is about as far as I can get. All security features of my router are disabled, and yet when the TiVo checks all the settings, it says the wireless network could not be found or does not exist.

Why can it find the network during setup, but not when connecting?? I'm about to pull my hair out.

Last edited by ack_thbbft : 01-03-2005 at 11:27 PM.
ack_thbbft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:32 PM   #175
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ack_thbbft
The wireless transmitter on the router is on, SSID transmit is enabled (customized name), and the TiVo identifies my router's SSID automatically on the "closed/peer-to-peer" screen.
Are you actually using peer-to-peer mode? If so, why? I don't recommend peer-to-peer for most ordinary uses.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 01-03-2005, 11:45 PM   #176
ack_thbbft

Quote:
Are you actually using peer-to-peer mode? If so, why? I don't recommend peer-to-peer for most ordinary uses.
I am not using Peer-to-Peer mode. As I understand it, that is for sharing between two TiVo's not connected to a network.

As the instructions say, if SSID broadcasting is enabled on the router, your router will appear in the list of open networks detected by the adapter, otherwise you must select the closed network connection option, then manually enter the SSID.

The point is, it found my router on the initial setup screen, yet at the end of the setup procedure it says the network can't be found. Same result when testing the connection outside the Phone/Network current settings screen.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I do have the router set to B only. This adapter for the TiVo is the only wireless device in the house, so I don't have the router set for G or Mixed B/G.

Last edited by ack_thbbft : 01-04-2005 at 12:45 AM.
ack_thbbft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:29 PM   #177
ack_thbbft

Well, I fixed the problem. I got it to work after quite a few resettings of my router. Got it working fine with WEP and MAC filtering, as well.

Thanks all!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:55 AM   #178
lrck

I just bought a SA Tivo box and Linksys WUSB54G wireless adapter before reading this forum. My impression from the posts here is that the adapter will not work and I should return it for a 802.11b adapter. However, over on the Tivo customer support pages, I just found the following Q&A:

Why Is My 802.11g Adapter Not Any Faster than 802.11b Adapters?

We are aware it may take longer to transfer shows using an 802.11g adapter than if you used an 802.11b adapter. We are working to increase the throughput of 802.11g wireless adapters with TiVo. We added 802.11g support into the current software release because of the decreasing availability of 802.11b wireless adapters. In order to get the fastest transfer speed, we recommend the use of 802.11b adapters when possible since they are more stable and will generally allow for faster transfers.

(search reference number 14-36-01)

This appears to imply that I should be able to use my adapter after all. I haven't opened the box yet, as I don't want to pay a restocking fee. Can anyone comment on this? I'd appreciate any help - thanks.
lrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:44 AM   #179
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

You know, the only thing keeping me from upgrading my whole house to 802.11g is my TiVo.... I cannot *wait* til they do 802.11g in a supported way!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:16 AM   #180
mamiller

Re: Re: PLEASE help me with wireless adapter!

Quote:
If you downloaded the latest software (about an hour long call), then your TiVo should say it is pending restart. When you reboot your TiVo, it will then install that downloaded software upgrade, and your wireless card should be usable. If you don't force your TiVo to reboot (the Restart option under System Reset), it will automatically reboot at ~2am. If your TiVo does not say it is pending restart, then let us know what your TiVo says about the status of the last call.
I am new to the whole Tivo thing and am experiencing similar issues with wireless connection. I am currious about how you download the latest software?