Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2004, 12:17 AM   #61
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mars Rocket
I'm having a problem, but I'm not sure if it's because of my upgrade or not. Here's the info:

I have a Series 1 TiVo that was originally a 2-drive 30 hour model, and I upgraded it years ago with a single 120GB drive. That drive started failing, so I booted with the LBA48 CD and did a mfsbackup -> mfsrestore onto a new 160GB drive. I then used copykern to put a LBA48 compliant kernel onto it and initialize the new, bigger swap space.

The TiVo boots up fine, and everything seems to work fine (including the new, bigger swap space) EXCEPT I'm getting "Failed while loading series" errors whenever I do a Daily Call.

Is there some way to tell if this error is related to the upgrade, or if there's just a data problem on the TiVo side? I've read the various tips about fixing it but have not yet tried any of them.
Could be that you didn't really get a good backup (if there was a failing drive underneath that software, its very possible). It could also be a problem with the new drive, as well. It doesn't have anything to do with the LBA48 CD, though. MFStools is still MFStools.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:09 AM   #62
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

I seem to have solved the problem by repeating Guided Setup and selecting "Satellite + Antenna" in place of "Satellite". This has no real effect on the system since the channels are essentially the same, but it did enable it to download the fully process the guide data - probably because it replaced the existing data rather than simply trying to update it.

I still need to go through one day's update, but so far it's doing better than before.

I'll switch it back to "Satellite" alone at some point.
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:39 PM   #63
bnm81002

Re: PTVupgrade TiVo Upgrade CD with LBA48 support for Series1 and Select Series2 Units

Quote:
Originally posted by tivoupgrade
Thanks to feedback and contributions from many TCF members, we've updated our popular LBA48 CD (now at version 3.0) to reflect the current state of DIY upgrading.

This CD is designed to replace most of the out-of-date and flaky CD's (Kazmyr's, Dylan's etc.) that have been floating around for about four years now. It will be incorporated into our Universal Boot CD in the near future, but we have separated it here to keep the filesize small, and the download free.

It is assumed you have a basic working knowledge of MFStools (or are using a decent how-to with detailed instructions) and are also aware that many bootdisks, utilities, and most importantly, the TiVo kernel for Series1 systems and many Series2 units are limited to accessing only 137GB of each individual drive.

Release notes (reprinted and edited - also available on the CD):

This CD uses an LBA48 Linux kernel which is designed for use with all hard disk drives, including drives that are larger than 137GB. This CD may be used to perform standard MFStools backup and restore operations for ALL make/model TiVo systems which are upgradeable. HOWEVER, do not use this CD to restore a backup onto a drive LARGER than 137GB unless it will be used in a TiVo system whose kernel uses a comparable native LBA48 kernel.

Units with a native LBA48 kernel are:

TiVo TCD540 (ALL MODELS)
Series2 HUMAX (ALL MODELS)
Pioneer DVD combo (ALL MODELS)
Hughes HR10-250 (HDTV)
Toshiba DVD combo (ALL MODELS)

If you are intending to use larger than 137GB drives in a Series1 standalone or Series1 DirecTiVo system, you can simply use the "copykern" utility(provided on the CD) to install an updated kernel featuring LBA48 support. Just type "copykern" and follow the prompted instructions.

If you are not using drives greater than 137GB, you may use this CD for any model TiVo without worry, with one exception: Do not attempt to use BlessTiVo on drives being added to a Series1 unit; instead, use mfsadd.

Use this CD for performing standard upgrades to units which support disk drives greater than 137GB or use this CD if you are performing an upgrade to any Series1 unit and use copykern to update to an LBA48 kernel.

You can use this CD for ANY TiVo unit if you are not planning on using a drive greater than 137GB. You can use this CD to bless add-on drives for Series2 units, or use mfsadd to combine two drives for any upgradable Series2 or a Series1.

One last note, MFStool 2.0 (included on this CD as well) has a bug and will not properly initialize a swap partition greater than 127MB. If you are building a SERIES1 replacement drive, and are planning on using "copykern" you can use the -s option (hit F3 for MFStool usage examples) to define a larger than 127MB swap partition, and copykern will initialize it for you when replacing the kernel.

That's it; please consult standard upgrade instructions (hinsdale, for example); as this CD is designed to be compatible with them.

----

The CD is available for free download here (it is approximately 13MB, and in ISO format)

Please post your questions here (please do not send Private Messages) so others can benefit from the responses.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Lou

forgive me if it has been asked already, is this support compatible with the Philips DSR704? what would be required to incoporate it with a dual drive upgrade of the Philips? is it also compatible with a netwrok of the Philips? thank you
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:52 PM   #64
Robert S

the TiVo kernel for Series1 systems and many Series2 units are limited to accessing only 137GB of each individual drive.

and

Units with a native LBA48 kernel are:

TiVo TCD540 (ALL MODELS)
Series2 HUMAX (ALL MODELS)
Pioneer DVD combo (ALL MODELS)
Hughes HR10-250 (HDTV)
Toshiba DVD combo (ALL MODELS)

So, not only is this a question that has been asked, the answer was already in that vast quantity of text you quoted.

You will not find details of how to use large drives or networking with Series 2 DTiVoes on this site.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:08 PM   #65
Snowman
Thread, meet crap.

Robert, yes I just read what you said. However, I got the aforementioned cd from ptvupgrade.com because my understanding was that it contains lba48 kernels that have already been patched with killhdinitrd.

My question concerns just that. I have software v3.1.1c. I WANT to apply the lba48 patched kernel. Unfortunately, I have ZERO clue how to do that.

copykern does NOT work on anything but series1 units it would appear.

I'm not sure which partition I need to mount to apply the kernel or what command to use to apply the new kernel.

Anyone want to help on that?

As for not finding details of how to use networking with Series 2 DTivos, unless it's against the rules, I'll help anyone I can.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 07:27 PM   #66
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowman
Robert, yes I just read what you said. However, I got the aforementioned cd from ptvupgrade.com because my understanding was that it contains lba48 kernels that have already been patched with killhdinitrd.

My question concerns just that. I have software v3.1.1c. I WANT to apply the lba48 patched kernel. Unfortunately, I have ZERO clue how to do that.

copykern does NOT work on anything but series1 units it would appear.

I'm not sure which partition I need to mount to apply the kernel or what command to use to apply the new kernel.

Anyone want to help on that?

As for not finding details of how to use networking with Series 2 DTivos, unless it's against the rules, I'll help anyone I can.

so can you help me out then with my S2Dtivo Philips DSR704? thanks
Old 10-29-2004, 11:39 PM   #67
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

what this thread is about

Guys,

I'd suggest you take another look at the first post in this thread so you can truly understand what its intent is and what the LBA48 CD is designed to do for you.

This thread is not intended to be a catch-all for support questions related to MFStools, killhdinitrd, or any of the additional utilities that are on the LBA48 CD, or may appear in the future. There are plenty of threads, guides, how-to's etc in existence in a variety of places both here, and on other forums which discuss the nuances of the multitude of simple and complex upgrades available for the variety of TiVo systems out there.

Please take some time to do some searching, as its likely you'll find the how-to information you are looking for in the appropriate places, and you can post your upgrade-specific questions there.

As for the CD we've released in this thread - its designed to be compatible and usable with the upgrade guides/how-to's that are already in existence. If there is something specific about this CD, as far as the types of utilities you'd like us to incorporate, or remove, or problems using this CD with a particular guide, please do post that here.

In fact, you can post anything you pretty much want to here, but please don't expect to get answers to questions that might be better posted somewhere else.

With that said, remember - video extraction is verboten here, so don't bring it up.

And with that said, networking your TiVo is a good thing to do, so if you are interested in doing that, you can start your reading here and hopefully you'll find your way to the how-to information for which you may be looking.

Cheers,
Lou

Old 10-30-2004, 05:42 PM   #68
Snowman
Thread, meet crap.

With all due respect Lou, I read the entire thread through before I posted. Since the cd includes the lba48 kernels, and I need the killhdinetrd patch for what I want to do anyway, I saw this as a perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. That is still my path and fortunately, received the answers through another source. However, I have no problem with being slapped on the hand and being told to go search, but I find "had you searched, you should have found something like <link>" to throw me a bone. Not 43 different threads, but one showing at least some of the info I was seeking. Often with being TOO new to this, not knowing WHAT to search for makes it more difficult.

Thanks for the CD and for offering the pre-patched kernels. I just had thought there would have been instructions in the f1-f3 routine giving something to show how to copy the kernel on s2 boxes since s1 was included.

The point here isn't to argue with you, but rather to hopefully explain where I'm coming from and why I asked the question.

Yes, the networking discussion does need to be taken elsewhere agreed.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:00 PM   #69
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowman
With all due respect Lou, I read the entire thread through before I posted. Since the cd includes the lba48 kernels, and I need the killhdinetrd patch for what I want to do anyway, I saw this as a perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. That is still my path and fortunately, received the answers through another source. However, I have no problem with being slapped on the hand and being told to go search, but I find "had you searched, you should have found something like <link>" to throw me a bone. Not 43 different threads, but one showing at least some of the info I was seeking. Often with being TOO new to this, not knowing WHAT to search for makes it more difficult.

Thanks for the CD and for offering the pre-patched kernels. I just had thought there would have been instructions in the f1-f3 routine giving something to show how to copy the kernel on s2 boxes since s1 was included.

The point here isn't to argue with you, but rather to hopefully explain where I'm coming from and why I asked the question.

Yes, the networking discussion does need to be taken elsewhere agreed.
We are going to be adding all sorts of utilities to the CD and its important to try to keep this thread as on-topic as possible.

The point is that ALL tool-specific questions should be asked in another thread (if one doesn't exist, you can always start one).

Meanwhile, feel free to post any links you've discovered that may help others to use the tools more effectively.

As for the information associated with kernel replacement on a Series2 vs using our CopyKern utility on a Series1; the technical issues are significantly different, so its not a simple request.

Thx

Old 10-31-2004, 09:33 PM   #70
diskus

Ive looked but one thing Im still unclear on,

If I use this cd and mfstools on a 540-140 to take the 120gig and expand it to 120 and 200 total 320 is there an issue with the swap size limit ? Im using the command in hinsdale to increase the swap file size from the one on the 120 but i understand there is a 274 gig limit using this or am I wrong? do i somehow have to also copy a new kernel to the drive or not?
diskus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:16 PM   #71
slorenzen

directtv series 2 and networking

do any of these ISO images contain the software for upgrading network drivers to support the usb ports(USB to LAN or USB to wireless usb adapter.
slorenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:08 AM   #72
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Re: directtv series 2 and networking

Quote:
Originally posted by slorenzen
do any of these ISO images contain the software for upgrading network drivers to support the usb ports(USB to LAN or USB to wireless usb adapter.
No, currently the files required to do so are not included on this CD; they will be at some point, but right now there are a lot of different tools in use, and not a lot of good how-to information out there. Right now, there doesn't seem to be any sense in including a bunch of additional tools which people don't know how to use.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:09 PM   #73
bnm81002

may I ask once again can I use the LBA48 CD from PTV Upgrade for my Philips DSR704 along with MFS Tools and anything else needed for installing the LBA48 Kernel for support in my Philips unit? if not then is there anything I can do to enable the Philips to use LBA48 support?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:09 AM   #74
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by bnm81002
may I ask once again can I use the LBA48 CD from PTV Upgrade for my Philips DSR704 along with MFS Tools and anything else needed for installing the LBA48 Kernel for support in my Philips unit? if not then is there anything I can do to enable the Philips to use LBA48 support?
The PTVupgrade LBA48 CD does not offer any LBA48 support or tools for the Philips DSR704. The specific model numbers supported are listed in the very first post of this thread.

Old 11-26-2004, 11:46 PM   #75
LightCC

Quote:
Originally posted by tivoupgrade
I don't know if I'd be using DD for that sort of thing. Go the MFStools route; it does work. If you can get the DD method to work, benchmark results would be interesting, but I don't think its going to be faster.
I went the dd method copying over an original, full 40GB TIVO drive to a new 160GB drive. It took roughly 7 hours. Somewhere between 6.5 and 7.5 anyway...

Someone ought to add some progress reporting to dd...

Anyone have benchmarks from the MFS route?
LightCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 10:48 AM   #76
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by LightCC
I went the dd method copying over an original, full 40GB TIVO drive to a new 160GB drive. It took roughly 7 hours. Somewhere between 6.5 and 7.5 anyway...

Someone ought to add some progress reporting to dd...

Anyone have benchmarks from the MFS route?
MFS is significantly faster, but its performance is going to vary because it will be more CPU dependent, and related to the levels of compression you use when using it at well.

Not a lot of benefit to doing major benchmarking here unless you really have nothing more to do -- its definitely faster, though.

Old 11-28-2004, 03:32 AM   #77
wudilye

I have 2 Tivos and recently did some upgrade work on both, so I used dd on one (~ 14 hrs for a 120Gb drive) and mfs on the other (~ 4 hrs for a 120Gb drive). No further benchmarking required, it's a no brainer...
wudilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:47 AM   #78
wudilye

So, those of us with non-native LBA48 Series2s (like my Hughes SD-DVR40) have 2 options? Wait for 5.x and pray it has LBA48, or beg for a Series2 version of copykern? I know it's not a simple request, so I'm on my knees begging
wudilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 08:15 AM   #79
Robert S

a Series2 version of copykern

CopyKern is not the problem. What you need is a kernel with LBA-48 support and a way of persuading the TiVo to boot an unsigned kernel.

Both of those things exist.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:20 AM   #80
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

series2 lba48

Right now, we have no free utility for enabling the LBA48 kernel on this model, however we are including an LBA48 kernel (along with the mods associated with allowing it to boot) with our newest replacement drive kits (PTVnet). Eventually, we'll have some end-user utilities available (not sure yet whether they will be free) for doing what you want.

Old 12-03-2004, 12:58 PM   #81
hnaparst

Enlarge swap and upgrade kernel

I have a HDR112, series 1. I've already successfully upgraded to an LBA48 v3.0 kernel using tpip and set upgradesoftware=false. I have two disks total=280 GB, just over the 274 GB limit for 127 MB swap.

Two questions I really don't see answered in the thread:

1) It seems that I need to enlarge my swap slightly. What is the one command or command sequence that will do that and preserve all my programs (or alternatively, not preserve them)? Has mfstools been patched or fixed yet to allow a restore to over 127 MB? I have a bunch of TiVo utility disks, so feel free to use commands from those disks too.

2) Can I upgrade to a more recent kernel from Todd Miller's disk to access new TiVo features? Will my hardware support a more recent kernel? I'd love to have all my copies of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" go into one folder, but v3.0 doesn't do that.

Harold
hnaparst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:17 PM   #82
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Re: Enlarge swap and upgrade kernel

Quote:
Originally posted by hnaparst
I have a HDR112, series 1. I've already successfully upgraded to an LBA48 v3.0 kernel using tpip and set upgradesoftware=false. I have two disks total=280 GB, just over the 274 GB limit for 127 MB swap.

Two questions I really don't see answered in the thread:

1) It seems that I need to enlarge my swap slightly. What is the one command or command sequence that will do that and preserve all my programs (or alternatively, not preserve them)? Has mfstools been patched or fixed yet to allow a restore to over 127 MB? I have a bunch of TiVo utility disks, so feel free to use commands from those disks too.

2) Can I upgrade to a more recent kernel from Todd Miller's disk to access new TiVo features? Will my hardware support a more recent kernel? I'd love to have all my copies of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" go into one folder, but v3.0 doesn't do that.

Harold
Not sure why you actually need to enlarge your swap, but if you want to, its certainly doable.

Use mfstools with the -s xxx option and choose your swap size to be whatever you want it to be. Then use copykern to update the kernel and it will automatically initialize the swap file in the new partition. OR just use tpip to do it.

There should be more info in the readme files on the CD (use the F1 key, F2 key, etc) for that info...

Old 12-04-2004, 07:41 AM   #83
hnaparst

Why I need to enlarge swap and mfstools bug

I need to enlarge the swap because the maximum disk size that a 127 Mbyte swap partition can support is 274 GB, and I have 280. This has been well documented in this forum. It may have changed, though.

Regarding your second piece of advice, that I use mfstools -s xxx where xxx>127:
mfstools has a bug (to my knowledge) that will cause a zero size swap partition to be created if you use xxx>127.

Do you have any further information?

Harold
Old 12-04-2004, 12:03 PM   #84
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Re: Why I need to enlarge swap and mfstools bug

Quote:
I need to enlarge the swap because the maximum disk size that a 127 Mbyte swap partition can support is 274 GB, and I have 280. This has been well documented in this forum. It may have changed, though.

Regarding your second piece of advice, that I use mfstools -s xxx where xxx>127:
mfstools has a bug (to my knowledge) that will cause a zero size swap partition to be created if you use xxx>127.

Do you have any further information?

Harold
Ok, so actually, you don't NEED the extra swap space; it has been well documented that mfsassert won't run if you don't have the extra swap space, its also well documented and well known that you should never have to run mfsassert, and that when it does run, its almost always due to a bad hard drive. Its a matter of opinion; we've never been proponents of pushing the large swap space.

With that said, you might WANT the extra swap space, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I think its important that people understand that although there are few strong opionions in favor of larger swap space (I know Robert S is a big proponent of it), the reality is that it is truly not needed.

Lastly, my previous post gives you the info need to create that larger space; just follow those directions, and/or the ones on the CD and it will work fine. CopyKern and tpip will take care of the swap initialization for you.

Old 12-04-2004, 01:02 PM   #85
hnaparst

Three follow up questions:

1) Given that I don't NEED the swap space to be more than 127 MB, why would I want it to be large? Will I get better performance?

2) Why are you recommending using mfsrestore -s to create swap spaces larger than 127MB? Isn't there a fatal bug in mfsrestore that prevents that?

3) Can I use more recent kernels than the 3.0 kernel in order to get more features?

Harold
Old 12-04-2004, 01:12 PM   #86
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Three follow up questions:

1) Given that I don't NEED the swap space to be more than 127 MB, why would I want it to be large? Will I get better performance?

2) Why are you recommending using mfsrestore -s to create swap spaces larger than 127MB? Isn't there a fatal bug in mfsrestore that prevents that?

3) Can I use more recent kernels than the 3.0 kernel in order to get more features?

Harold
1) my point exactly... there really is no benefit that you will ever see, in my opinion

2) i am not recommending it, i'm telling you how to use it, in conjunction with copykern or tpip, so that you can have a swap space larger than 127MB

3) no

Old 12-04-2004, 04:00 PM   #87
MRussell
Big Member

Hi, I have one quick question:-

I recently upgraded my UK Tivo to use a single 200GB disk using V2.0 of your excellent LBA48 disk. V2.0 was used because I somehow got hold of an old copy.

My question is, is there any point in me blowing V3.0 to CD and running copykern again - is there any difference in the kernel itself between V2 and V3, or were the differences only in the tools provided etc?

Mark.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:08 PM   #88
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by MRussell
Hi, I have one quick question:-

I recently upgraded my UK Tivo to use a single 200GB disk using V2.0 of your excellent LBA48 disk. V2.0 was used because I somehow got hold of an old copy.

My question is, is there any point in me blowing V3.0 to CD and running copykern again - is there any difference in the kernel itself between V2 and V3, or were the differences only in the tools provided etc?

Mark.
I am not aware of the kernel specifics associated with version of the software running on UK systems versus the US versions. You might want to check the underground forum as there is an LBA48 discussion there that Robert S participated in - he is in the UK and knows the details of the UK kernel and whether its different than the ones we supply. I know you can use copykern to update your kernel and that the appropriate one is already on the CD; I just don't know which one is appropriate.

Old 12-04-2004, 04:17 PM   #89
MRussell
Big Member

Thanks for the (very) quick reply

I'll take a look over there.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:19 PM   #90
Robert S

The UK TiVo is still running 2.5.5, so the 2.5 kernel seems appropriate. No complaints about it from UK users.

As for hnaparst's worries over swap, saying that 274Gb is the limit for 127Mb of swap is a convenient simplification. mfsfix requires exactly 128Mb of memory to check 274Gb of disk space. But the 127Mb of swap is not the only memory available to mfsfix - there's also about 10Mb of RAM available, so the true limit will be somewhere around the 300Gb mark for Series 1 stand alones, and a bit higher still for DTiVoes and Series 2's with their extra 16Mb of RAM.