TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2004, 06:11 PM   #121
bogelas

Music But No Server

I have a new silver 540. It's connected to our 802.11b network and I can play music and view pictures from my PC. Every time I try to use the network to connect to Tivo for program data it says it Failed for Unknown Reason. I remembered to change the connection type from phone to network before trying to connect so that wasn't the problem. It works fine via phone for now. Anybody with a hint or suggestion?

I have:
Netgear MR814 v2
Netgear MA111
Bellsouth DSL with a Westell modem

I'm using 128-bit WEP and not broadcasting the SSID and, as I said above, I am able to view content from my PC with no problems.
bogelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 10:38 PM   #122
bedelman
Call me Bob

Are you using a static IP address? Does a test connection succeed but a regular connection fails? If both of these are "yes", you might want to check the DNS setting in the static IP setup on the TiVo.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:15 AM   #123
bogelas

Both connection types (test and real) fail.

I am not using a DNS address on my PC so I didn't put any into the Tivo either. I assigned an IP address manually and it is within the range of addresses available from the router. My router is 192.168.0.1, my PC is 192.168.0.3, and my Tivo is 192.168.0.9.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:05 AM   #124
bedelman
Call me Bob

If you use a static IP address on the TiVo, it probably will not work unless you put in an entry for the IP address of the DNS. Some folks put in the IP address of their router and others, including me, put in the DNS address provided by their Internet Service Provider.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
Old 09-27-2004, 05:44 PM   #125
bogelas

That did the trick. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:48 PM   #126
dbpaddler

I don't know about all of you, but I filter off of MAC adr's for my router. So once my tivo recognized the mac adr, I just plugged it into my router settings and off I went. Not sure if it's six to one, half a dozen to another, but it works well, until I change out a card on my laptop and forget I have to update my settings on a different computer.
dbpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:47 PM   #127
tfletchit

Re: SDH-400/MA111 Wireless

Quote:
Originally posted by lisafab
Yes! I have the same setup as you and was going crazy. Thought I had the latest software after I did the phone setup. Took me a while to realize my mother had inadvertantly switched off the box then turned it on again. Software update was incomplete!

After reading your post I checked the software version and it was only 5.1.01. Re-connected phone line, downloaded the latest software (5.1.1b) and voila! (pardon my French) Everything is fine.

Remember Toshiba SDH400/MA111 users, make sure your software is 5.1.1b!

Thanks so much,

Lisa

PS Now if I could only pick your brain on another wireless network issue...:-)

Lisa- I have a 802.11g wireless adapter so I haven't had luck with getting it to connect to my series 2 .. but it looks like, based on all the other posts, I'll just have to wait until an update for it comes out.

However, be happy to try and help with your other wireless problems .. feel free to drop me an email ... tfletchit@comcast.net

Todd
tfletchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:03 PM   #128
Pho Real

NETGEAR MA111

I have the Netgear MA111 and a Toshiba SD-H400

Does anyone know a trick on how to get the machine to see the adapter after it has not be able to find it.

I can connect to the service if I am lucky and then right after that the machine says i do not have an adapter connected.

then if I pull it out and plug it back up the machine will either reboot/freeze right away or midway through another download.
Pho Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:32 PM   #129
JoeyImage

Ok...so LinkSys WUSB11v4 will not work..yet it's the newest one and the only one currently available, because it is the newest. Terrific....

EDIT: Yay, went back to work, went thru 32 v4's before I finally found a v2.8, once I get home I'll do it up

http://www.joeyimage.com

Last edited by JoeyImage : 10-23-2004 at 05:54 PM.
JoeyImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:13 PM   #130
JoeyImage

Re: Sad Part about WUSB 11 vesion numbers

Quote:
Originally posted by MtrRef
The sad part about the Linksys version numbers is that they are NOT on the box.
I know this is a very old post, but it's not correct. The version number is very clearly printed on the box.

http://www.joeyimage.com
JoeyImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:09 PM   #131
jezor

SD-H400: About to Try Belkin F5D6051 v.1000

I just got a refurb SD-H400 and bought the tiny Belkin F5D6051 ($10 after rebate by mail at CompUSA) to try and use my home's wireless network. Plugged it in, got power to the adapter but the menu never showed me the config. option for a network. Thanks to this thread, I've realized that I have to force a software update, which I will do tonight. If, after that, I can get the setup to work, I'll post the results here (actually, I'll do it either way!). If anyone has worked magic with this combo (particularly the Belkin adapter), let me know. Thanks. {Jonathan}
jezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:27 PM   #132
bb30994

Does anybody know what data transfer rate is required to get standard TV quality pictures? I thought connecting two tivos together would need more than 802.11b can handle.
bb30994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:45 PM   #133
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

Well, my understanding is you can't watch it while it's transferring, and it likely takes a lot longer than 1/2 hour to transfer a 1/2 hour show between two TiVos using 802.11b.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:03 PM   #134
Pho Real

Reboot Issues with SD-H400

Am I the only one who tries to connect to the tivo service and can make a full connection but the machine will reboot or freeze while loading data?

I have a Toshiba SD-H400:

At first I tried a NETGEAR MA111. It would work only if God helped out. It can connect and maybe, just maybe complete the load. However, after that it doesn't see the adapter. So you plug it back in and BAM! Reboots.

So I unplug the unit, wait a little while, plug it back up. Wait for the machine to get to the dancing tivo guy screen and I plug the adapter in and the whole issue starts again. Reboots or Freezes either right away, during the dowload, or during the load.

So I went out and bought a DWL-122. Same stuff, different day.

This deal was supposed to get me the tivo for 100 after rebate but I have had to buy two adapters and it still doesn't work.

Does anyone know they correct moment to insert the usb adapter?

That would help out alot!

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2004, 03:56 PM   #135
bedelman
Call me Bob

Re: Reboot Issues with SD-H400

Quote:
Originally posted by Pho Real
Am I the only one who tries to connect to the tivo service and can make a full connection but the machine will reboot or freeze while loading data?

I have a Toshiba SD-H400:

At first I tried a NETGEAR MA111. It would work only if God helped out. It can connect and maybe, just maybe complete the load. However, after that it doesn't see the adapter. So you plug it back in and BAM! Reboots.

So I unplug the unit, wait a little while, plug it back up. Wait for the machine to get to the dancing tivo guy screen and I plug the adapter in and the whole issue starts again. Reboots or Freezes either right away, during the dowload, or during the load.

So I went out and bought a DWL-122. Same stuff, different day.

This deal was supposed to get me the tivo for 100 after rebate but I have had to buy two adapters and it still doesn't work.

Does anyone know they correct moment to insert the usb adapter?

That would help out alot!

Thanks!
It sounds like the data coming in is corrupted or mal-formed in some way which is then crashing the process. Since you get the same thing with two different adapters, it's either a fault with the SD-H400 itself or the nature of your network connection. What sort of signal strength do you see? Is there anything around that could be corrupting the signal (wireless 2.4GHz phones, other wireless networks, etc.)? Do you use wireless connections for a computer and if so, does it work well?

Old 11-02-2004, 05:31 PM   #136
Pho Real

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I live in an apt complex. So the corruption possibilites could be endless as far as phones and microwaves.

I am getting 60% + signal strength(That is what is says on the Tivo Screen).

There are other wireless networks around. One that is showing up one the tivo that is not mine.

My Wireless network is great for my laptop. However, when trying to connect to TiVo I do not use my wireless network to connect the laptop. I have the laptop turned off while i do it.

I am guessing it may be due to the other wireless networks around???? So I guess I should encrypt it?

If you think that will help please give me the quickest way to encrypt. Maybe by blocking other mac addys from my router. On second thought that will only protect my router from other users connecting to my netowork.

I think I need a way to force my tivo to only connect to my router. I am pretty sure it is connecting to my router because i have it set to use my ssid. But I am hoping encryption will make the tivo and my router connect only to themselves????

Please Help! I am losing it
Old 11-02-2004, 08:25 PM   #137
bedelman
Call me Bob

Radio wave interference is interference and turning on encryption isn't going to block other networks from causing interference. You're better off searching for a different channel (by the way, the wireless channels overlap slightly with one another -- I suggest you try the extremes of 1 and 11 first)

You should be using a "closed" SSID, WEP, and MAC filtering -- if you can. But this is more for security reasons.

Old 11-02-2004, 08:42 PM   #138
Pho Real

My router won't let me change the channel

Di-624. One of the older models.

Channel 6 is my only choice. It says I can change it on the help screen but I sure as hell can't from what I gather.

Nevermind...I needed to turn off Turbo mode.

Last edited by Pho Real : 11-02-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:55 PM   #139
Pho Real

I have noticed it is restarting/freezing more often before it completes the download. (before it loads the data)

Any other ideas?

Does anyone know the sweetspot on when to pop a USB adapter in?

I hate this Toshiba.

If something is to good to be true....

Last edited by Pho Real : 11-02-2004 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:18 PM   #140
bedelman
Call me Bob

The adapter should be in all the time. It's not a matter of knowing when to attach it or not. It shouldn't interfere with the startup process or anything.

I just had a thought though --- are you using any sort of USB extension cable on your adapter? If you are, you might want to check to make sure it's clear of any electrical wires. Also, you don't want to extend the cable any more than the cable that came with your adapter.

If you're having problems on the actual loading of the data, I suppose it could be something is wrong with the hard drive or the data on the hard drive.

Old 11-02-2004, 11:50 PM   #141
Pho Real

If I leave the adapter in for the boot.... constant reboots/freezes while the tivo man is jumping.

Been about 35 days since I bought it. Who do I contact Toshiba?
Old 11-03-2004, 08:44 AM   #142
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by Pho Real
If I leave the adapter in for the boot.... constant reboots/freezes while the tivo man is jumping.

Been about 35 days since I bought it. Who do I contact Toshiba?
I believe you need to start with Toshiba since the unit carries their name.

Old 11-03-2004, 08:54 AM   #143
Pho Real

I unplugged it and let it sit overnight.

Tried to start it up with the USB plugged in.

Rebooted before it even made it through the dancing Tivo man screen.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:44 PM   #144
mrjam2jab
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally posted by rkcarter
Well, my understanding is you can't watch it while it's transferring, and it likely takes a lot longer than 1/2 hour to transfer a 1/2 hour show between two TiVos using 802.11b.

If this is indeed the case....why even bother connecting the two?

I have 2 TIVO and had considered linking the 2 w/o a PC involved, but after reading this....maybe not.

Scott B

Tivo 540 S2 9.3.1 Lifetime EC
Tivo 240 S2 9.3.1 Lifetime SM
Tivo 240 S2 9.3.1 Monthly SW
Tivo 649 S2D2 Monthly MK
mrjam2jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 03:23 PM   #145
msdonnelly

SD-H400 and Network Adapters

I'm pretty unsophisticated with this whole network stuff and being at the end of the earth I have to buy electronics over the internet. Just tried to hook up my Toshiba with a Linksys WUSB11 and it does absolutely nothing! After searching this forum I found all the references to version numbers and discovered the network adapter I have is version 4! Since I can't search through store inventory to find an older version, how long will it be before a software upgrade will let me use a version 4 network adapter?
msdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:56 AM   #146
malacoda

possible cure for some wireless woes

Hopefully this will help a few people who were suffering the same wireless connection symptoms as me.

I have a new series 2 (540 service to be exact), a DWL-122 wireless adapter, and a Buffalo G54 AirStation w/ Repeater).

After complete phone line set up and an additional follow-up phone line connect I was still getting a "no DHCP client" error when I tried to connect via wireless with get TCP/IP automatically, etc.

If I tried manually entering an IP adddress, subnet mask, etc. I got the error "Gateway (router) Not Found".

1 iBook and 2 wireless PC with a mix of AppleAirport, D-Link, and Buffalo adapters have no problem connecting to the router or repeater.

Turns out that the Tivo (or possibly the DWL-122) were having trouble with the ASCII 64bit encryption.

I switched to hexidecimal, set the TiVo wireless settings to hexidecimal and autodetect for the TCP/IP and it immediately found a connection. Ran a connection test with immediate success, and verified it by connecting to TiVo service to perform a connection and update.

In short, make sure you use hexidecimal encryption.

Good Luck.
malacoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:12 PM   #147
tvaddict

D-Link DI-624 and DHCP errors?

I searched up and down for solutions to this issue, and I saw that other people had the same problems, and lots of them were solved, but no solutions seem to have been posted... so:

Last night, we bought a new D-Link DI-624 (802.11g) wireless router, and I can't seem to get my Tivos to receive a signal from it, even if I put the access point directly on top of the router (I'm using Linksys WUSB11 wireless access points on both of my Tivos). Everything used to work fine with our old Linksys 802.11b router, until I dropped it.

When I go through Tivo's network settings config, it sees my network's SSID, and I've tried all combos of WEP keys (disabled/hex/ascii), but still Tivo doesn't get an IP address, nor does it see any signal broadcast (under signal strength, it's just blank, no % or anything). With the Linksys in place, I'd still see a signal strength, even if I didn't have the right password, I just wouldn't be able to access it until I entered the password. But now, I'm seeing nothing.

There's a post in the Tivo Help Center that says:
Quote:
TIVO 2 wireless network- creating a connection/ iTunes
DLink di624 router, DWL-122 wireless usb adapter
i just wanted to do a quick post of thanks with respect to the wireless help thread-
i was getting pretty consistent DHCP errors and no IP address- and DLink was of little help-
after many reconfigs of both the router and the network settings of the TIVO, it turned out to be
the wep encryption password was hexidecimal as opposed to alpha numeric- which confused me as there are no case options- not to mention it adds a character at the beginning of the string- but it worked flawlessly and all the encryption (64b) and dynamic addressing is the same as it was before the tivo arrived-
Anyone know what this refers to? Is there really an "extra character at the beginning of the string" that I should know about? Anyone else have any idea what I should try next before I return the DI-624 and buy another Linksys (same as I had before)?

TIA!

Edited to add - I've ensured that the router is NOT set to 802.11g only mode. And Transfer Speed is set to 'auto'.
tvaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:10 AM   #148
mikequig

Re: Read this if you want to use your Series2 DVR with a wireless adapter

Why is it so difficult to get the USB adapter working? I've made two rather long trips back and forth to Fry's Electronics for 2 different pairs of adaptors for my TiVos and I still can't get a suitable adaptor.

Can someone explain why TiVo can't or won't update the software to work with adaptors that are readily available? It seems like it's damn hard to find wireless B adaptors -- but there are tons and tons of USB G adaptors out there (which should be backwards compatible).

I tried a pair of Microsoft USB-B adaptors (didn't work!) before I read the TiVo approved list. Then tried a Linksys WUSB11 adaptor - but didn't figure out that I had V4 until I opened the box (the version number is actually printed on the outside of the box - it's kinda like a Find Waldo exercise to figure it out though). They didn't work either.

Is there anything in the works that would make these WUSB11 v4 adaptors work (like in the next few weeks or so) or am I going to have to make a 3rd trip to Fry's to take them back and give up (they didn't have any of the other "approved" adaptors in stock.)?

I already wrote an unhappy letter to TiVo corporate about this percieved lack of support. Is there any reason out there for optimism?

Mike Q. in L.A.
mikequig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:22 PM   #149
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Re: Read this if you want to use your Series2 DVR with a wireless adapter

Quote:
Originally posted by mikequig
Can someone explain why TiVo can't or won't update the software to work with adaptors that are readily available?
Many equipment manufacturers do not write drivers for anything but recent versions of Windows and do not release the information necessary for others to write drivers for their devices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:53 AM   #150
ElVee
I have an old sumo

I have two TiVo's on my home network.

The first is a Sony SV2000R, with a Turbonet card.

The second is a Sony SV3000R Series II which I originally had wired to the network.

A few months ago I got a WUSB11 adapter and a Linksys WRTG54 wireless router. I just got the wireless set up a few months ago and things have been working pretty well.

I used to have the computer equiptment and the Series II TiVo in the same room. When I would look at the Phone & Network Setup screen on the TiVo, I would get a signal of close to 100%.

I recently moved the computer equiptment to an upstairs room. Now, I usually see a signal of between 45-55%. If I watch this screen for a while it alternates between showing an IP address and saying 'supplied by server'.

I noticed this morning that both TiVo's failed to update last night. I rebooted the Wireless Router and was able to update the Series I. After many attempts, I was finally able to update the Series II.

Could this be happening because of the weaker signal or could I have messed something else up?

- DirecTv HR20-700 - Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY
- DirecTv HR20-700 - Panasonic TH-50PX600U
- DirecTv HR10-250 HD TiVo
- Sony SV2000 & SV3000
ElVee is offline   Reply With Quote