TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2004, 12:30 PM   #361
jmhays

Brando7778,
Look here for a picture of the cable you will need:

http://www.weaknees.com/modem_fix.php
jmhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 04:35 PM   #362
lenard

I wonder if there is some correlation between using a cable modem and DSL that may present problems. I use a cable modem with vonage, I just hooked it up and it works 100% of the time.
lenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #363
jmhays

Quote:
Originally posted by lenard
I wonder if there is some correlation between using a cable modem and DSL that may present problems. I use a cable modem with vonage, I just hooked it up and it works 100% of the time.
lenard,
Are you refering to Vonage working 100% of the time or dialing out to DirecTV over a Vonage phone line?

I have a cable modem, Vonage, a Series 2 Hughes DirecTivo and a Hughes HDTivo. Neither of my Tivos can connect over the Vonage phone line. They both dial, but they never connect.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:28 PM   #364
jmhays

New Update, I bought two external modems to use with my DirecTivo's. Both dial, both connect and both fail on the "Getting Account Access" step.

Anything else I should try?
Old 10-24-2004, 03:00 PM   #365
Enkidu
TivoBuddy

Using Metro city number worked

Well, I read through a lot of this forum, and tried a bunch of stuff to make my directivo and vonage work together. I have the RCA80 directivo (2 of them) and couldn't get a daily call to go through for the life of me. Well, I had read a post earlier about metro city dial in numbers versus rural dial in numbers. Well I live outside of metro atlanta and my area code (678) only had two numbers to rural areas. I couldn't get a good daily call with either of them. So I put in a (404) metro atlanta area code, and got the list. I then put in the first number that came up and now my daily call has been connected for 35 minutes so far and counting. ... before I was lucky if I got 2 minutes max.

I did have the ,#034 setting also on the dialprefix. But it didn't work for the rural number. But now that I am using a metro number, and the ,#034 it is working a lot better. So, because there is no long distance on the higher tier vonage, maybe you can try putting in an area code of an area that is a metro area, and see if that works better for you.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:24 PM   #366
Xipper

Re: Using Metro city number worked

Quote:
Originally posted by Enkidu
Well, I read through a lot of this forum, and tried a bunch of stuff to make my directivo and vonage work together. I have the RCA80 directivo (2 of them) and couldn't get a daily call to go through for the life of me. Well, I had read a post earlier about metro city dial in numbers versus rural dial in numbers. Well I live outside of metro atlanta and my area code (678) only had two numbers to rural areas. I couldn't get a good daily call with either of them. So I put in a (404) metro atlanta area code, and got the list. I then put in the first number that came up and now my daily call has been connected for 35 minutes so far and counting. ... before I was lucky if I got 2 minutes max.

I did have the ,#034 setting also on the dialprefix. But it didn't work for the rural number. But now that I am using a metro number, and the ,#034 it is working a lot better. So, because there is no long distance on the higher tier vonage, maybe you can try putting in an area code of an area that is a metro area, and see if that works better for you.

Hope this helps someone.
You seem to be having better luck with your RCA80 over Vonage than I am. I have a DSR6000, which works perfectly over Vonage, and I just picked up a RCA80. Luckily my old landline hadn't gone away yet due to pending # transfer so I was able to at least get it setup and the software update. Since though I have not been able to get it to dial over Vonage succesfully at all. I have tried al the settings I can think of, the RCA80 fails to connect to the # to get the phone list, otherwise I'd try to use the same # you are.

Enjoy your luck, for now I will keep my eyes open for an old external modem at pawn shops and yard sales...I just can't justify the $100 people want for them.
Xipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:02 PM   #367
jmhays

Xipper,
No, no, no!! $100 is WAY too much! I just bought two on eBay for an average of $28 each. Both of these included the serial connection cable for my series 2 DirecTivos.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:33 PM   #368
holee
Uncertain

Feh. Spent the past 3 days getting the DSR6000 to work over Vonage on Comcast. Tried ,#019, #99 and ,#034 on a Linksys ATA.

I give up. SBC has me again. Vonage is really neat. It's really cool. And it kills me that I'm switching back to SBC just for the TiVo, but this is too much of a hassle.

It takes me an average of 30-40 minutes to get through to Vonage CSR. And because I only have one line, I can only test their fixes if I hang up and let the TiVo dial in. The other option is to use up the airtime on my cell phone.

I'm not interested in doing nay more tweaks or hacks to the TiVo to get it to work with Vonage. Maybe when they fix their network I'll switch back to them.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:46 PM   #369
Xipper

I think the problem isn't really with Vonage, VoIP was never designed to work with anaglog data transmissions. It would be nice if DTV would fix the problem and enable use of the USB ports for network access. DTV is in the best position to fix this problem but they don't seem to have any interest in giving us the featuers that every other Tivo has. (of course this won't help you DSR6000)
Old 10-25-2004, 07:49 PM   #370
holee
Uncertain

Quote:
Originally posted by Xipper
I think the problem isn't really with Vonage, VoIP was never designed to work with anaglog data transmissions. It would be nice if DTV would fix the problem and enable use of the USB ports for network access. DTV is in the best position to fix this problem but they don't seem to have any interest in giving us the featuers that every other Tivo has. (of course this won't help you DSR6000)
As much as I'd love to blame DTV for this, I'm going with Vonage. I can't expect DTV to have planned for a VoIP service years before Vonage even came into business.

Yeah there's things they can do to fix it, but the fact is it's Vonage's onus to adjust to DTV and an analogue world, no tth eother way around.

I may look into getting a Turbonet adapter though. But not right away. I just cancelled my Vonage service.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:59 PM   #371
Xipper

Its not that DTV should have planned for VoIP, they should have planned for broadband. Tivo obviously planned for this, which is where the HMO and network access on a stand alone Tivo comes in. It wasn't that Tivo added those features to make it work with VoIP, and I don't expect or even want a solution to work with VoIP. I want a solution that works without telephone, analog data transmission is lame. DTV is a digital company, I'd expect them to realize that digital is better...or why don't we all rip these antennas off of the top of our houses and go back to a set of rabbit ears?

Seriously though, VoIP is a digital service designed to work for what telephony was originally designed for...voice communication. I've worked with developing VoIP services, I know what a nightmare analog data transmissions are to account for.

Its not as if I am expecting something new and unusual to a DVR.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:15 PM   #372
holee
Uncertain

I agree with you that DTV needs to get on the broadband wagon. I misunderstood what you first posted. I can dig that the S1 DTV's don't have broadband support out of the box.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:45 PM   #373
Cornholio

Note Some Success it seems

This has been a great thread so far.....

Just got into Vonage and it's pretty cool and much cheaper than my other phone service.. I didn't really consider the hassle with the Tivo's. Never gave it much thought or problems with DTV...

I have a Phillips DSR7000R/17 and a Linksys PAP2 ATA.

So far have tried many things, (not the external modem yet) but with this setting the test call works... Which it never did before...

Dial in prefix ,#034
Call Waiting Prefix *99
Tone/Pulse TONE
Phone/Avail Det. Off
Dial Tone Det. Off

The daily call in, I have tried once and failed while negotiating... Just looked at the screen and it couldn't connect the 2nd time either couldn't connect.. Well it's something, more than a complete failure which was what I had before.. I'll add one of the DSL filters and see what happens, before I get into the external modem route...

Just tried the DSL filter, no good...

In the next firmware update on the Tivo could they please write a modem speed selection into it...

Last edited by Cornholio : 11-16-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:50 AM   #374
steveken

Having some problems as well

I have the Hughes DirecTiVo box and the built in modem on it. I got vonage a month ago and have been trying to get the DirecTiVo to dial up off and on since then. Last night, I spent about 3 hours trying to get the damn thing to work. I tried all the codes and variations of the codes that are posted up on here, but haven't gotten one to complete yet. And let me say that, yes, I HAVE read through all the posts I can find on this forums, thats why I am asking now.

I was getting very encouraged by the fact that it would do up until the "Negotiating" phase of the 3rd step. The only problem is that everytime it reaches "Negotiating", it dies after that. I mean, it will sit there and try it for as much as 10 minutes grand total before it stops and says "Failure in negotiating" or something to that effect.

I have read a few posts on here where people have stated that even if they hooked the DirecTiVo unit back up to a land-line phone, it still sticks at "Negotiating". Is that right?

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get around this problem? I know it isn't that big a deal, but I just want to get rid of the stupid reminder message telling me that it hasn't made a complete call in a while.

So, I guess if anyone has anything at all that they can offer me as a hint on what I should do, please PM me or email me or something as I really want to know. This is bugging the crap out of me. THANKS!!
steveken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:19 PM   #375
jmhays

I finally broke down and bought an external modem since that looked to be the only way people were getting connected. It worked for me with my DirecTivo.

Remember, NONE of the dialing prefix codes work on the series two DirecTivo to slow down the modem speed. I have an external modem on my series two DirecTivo and on my HD DirectTivo (HR10-250) and both dial connect and download the updates just like they were connected to a land line.

I bought both my modems from people on eBay, it looks like there are plenty of these modems available, so don't pay more than $20-30 for the modem and connection kit.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:27 PM   #376
Xipper

Are any of these success stories on the Linksys ATA adapters? Or is it all on Motorolla?

If you don't mind, any of you that have had success with interal or external modems please state what brand of ATA you are using.

My series 1 DSR6000R was working perfectly until Vonage swapped out my Motorolla for a Linksys router/phone adapter. It did fix the problem with DMTF tones not working, but it broke the Tivo.

I plan on getting an external modem or 2 to test this out, but I just wanted to see if anyone has had success with Linksys ATAs or not.

thanks!
Old 12-04-2004, 12:37 PM   #377
strange_69

steveken,
If you have a serices 2 DirecTivo then the only prefix that will truely work is: *99,*70 No slow-down codes work with serices 2. Period. I noticed that you did not mention using a DSL Filter. The DSL Filter did the trick for me (Note: I don't even have DSL, I have Cable). Buy a good one from Radio Shack. Since you are getting to the "Negotiating" phase, you are very close to being able to complete a call. Hang in there. Don't be surprised if it take several tries before it finaly completes a call. Just keep thinking about how much money you are saving Hope that helps.
strange_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 01:19 PM   #378
steveken

I tried the *99,*70...thats what got me to negotiating I think. Yes, I am using a DSL filter on the back of the tivo. Its one that I got with my dsl equipment when I had a dsl connection...I am on cable now. I am thinking I might need to take the filter off maybe...dunno.

And just for the record, I tried approximately 100 times last night. I worked on it for literally 3 hours...I was at like 84 minutes used on my vonage account, I am not at a little over 200. I think I have given it ample chances to work.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:11 PM   #379
strange_69

Well, that sux. The next step would have to be an external modem or PPP then. Sorry.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:10 AM   #380
steveken

I have an old 28.8 modem sitting in the closet, would that along with the $11.00 cable off weaknees do the job?
Old 12-05-2004, 07:57 AM   #381
dougw

I also switched to Vonage with the Linksys Adapter. I tried the following to get it to work with my Directivo2.
(1) Tried all the codes *70 etc... with the internal modem.
(2) Installed an external modem using hypter terminal to program it.
(3) Had Vonage try every setting possible, spent an hour on the phone with them.
(4) Had Vonage add a fax line and put the tivo units on them.
Was able to get a little further but nothing really worked.

Then I tried PPP on my two units and after playing around with the setup everything works great. Of course I have to have my computer on but it works everytime.

Seem crazy that I had to buy the serial adapter from Weaknees and also the serial to ethernet adapter (guess its the same as buying an external modem) when my house it fully wired for ethernet and I have 2 USB adapters from my old Series 2 SA Tivo units. Why the network can't be made available is beyond me. So all I am saying is PPP seems to be the most stable approach (for the time being) for people with VOIP.
dougw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:56 AM   #382
steveken

Well, after thinking about all this, and TRYING to look around on here for information about it, I think I might want to look at the ppp stuff you guys have been talking about.

Can someone please explain this to me, how to hook it up (briefly for the start), and how much it would cost? The cost part is definitely the big thing. The only thing I have found so far required a $130-someodd part....thats just a bit steep.

I guess I just need to know the basics on this whole ppp bit if anyone has the patience to try to explain it. Oh yeah, and if you could, let me know about my previous posts question? Here it is in case you can't find it:

I have an old 28.8 modem sitting in the closet, would that along with the $11.00 cable off weaknees do the job?

Thanks again!!
Old 12-09-2004, 11:56 PM   #383
libenitz1

tivo, VOIP

I REALLY didn't want to have to use an ext. modem for tivo to call home over Vonage.

Fortunately when I orginally hooked up the box I still had the conventional pots line. I since switched to Vonage to stick it to Verizon once and for all.

I tried the special dialing instructions after it had problems connecting and they didn't work.

When I pick up my telephone headset it beeps a few times and then turns to the familiar smooth dial tone.

Anyway, I inserted a comma in the call prefix section to give the internal modem the chance to hear the dial tone before dialing.

It worked.

Hope this might help some people avoid the cumbersome work arounds I've been reading about and dredding.

I didn't need any other dialing instructions other than the comma (pause).
libenitz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:20 AM   #384
SecureTalk

"QUOTE" --- "When I pick up my telephone headset it beeps a few times and then turns to the familiar smooth dial tone."

I think the beeps you may be referring to is the stutter dial tone that lets you know you have a voice mail. I'm not sure if it can be turned off or not. With my phone the stutter dial tone is not necessary because my phone has a message waiting indicator light to let me know I have voice mail. Vonage sends some type of signal that tells the phone to light the special light to show there is voice mail. So there is no need to pick up the receiver to check if there is voice mail or not. Once you listen to the voice mail the light goes out. IF it can be turned off somehow it would not interfere with the modem dialing out and yet you could still tell you had messages, assuming you have a phone with a message waiting indicator that is.

EDIT:

Oh I wanted to ad that long ago in the early Vonage days, -- ok not that long, but ever since Vonage was available -- Vonage would leave messages for the customers with notices that they wanted to send people. never received a call that just went to voice mail, they just deposited messaged in my voice mail box. It has not happened in two years or so. But if you don't use voice mail because you have an answering machine, call or log in on the net and clear your inbox, the stutter dial tone will clear and you will get a standard dial tone immediately.

Last edited by SecureTalk : 12-10-2004 at 12:25 AM.
SecureTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:37 PM   #385
steveken

Repost since I got no response from the first:
Well, after thinking about all this, and TRYING to look around on here for information about it, I think I might want to look at the ppp stuff you guys have been talking about.

Can someone please explain this to me, how to hook it up (briefly for the start), and how much it would cost? The cost part is definitely the big thing. The only thing I have found so far required a $130-someodd part....thats just a bit steep.

I guess I just need to know the basics on this whole ppp bit if anyone has the patience to try to explain it. Oh yeah, and if you could, let me know about my previous posts question? Here it is in case you can't find it:

Thanks again!!
Old 12-17-2004, 07:52 AM   #386
Reed

Wow if I find out you work for Directv with that attitude, I'm going to use a service that doesn't require me figuring out how to get my DTivo to work with my Vonage.

"Hello TimeWarner, yes, I am a Satellite customer, what special offers do you have going?"

Quote:
Originally posted by aristoBrat
The fact that their modem doesn't work on a Voice-over-IP telephone connection isn't any more of a "connection limitation" than the fact that their modem doesn't work over a Cellular telephone connection.

The product was designed to work over a standard telephone line. It does. To honestly think that DTV is responsible to make it work over every telephone technology is what aggravates me. THE ISSUE ISN'T THAT THE DIRECTIVO DOESN'T WORK, IT'S THAT VONAGE DOESN'T WORK LIKE A STANDARD PHONE LINE. Make Vonage responsible for having VOIP act like a standard phone line and the problem is fixed.

If you want to rant about USB ports not being active so you can make broadband phone calls, post in a "I WANT MY HMO NOW" thread. God knows there are plenty of them here.

Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:45 AM   #387
aristoBrat

OK, I work for DirecTV.

Buh-bye.

Actually, I don't. But I still think it's stupid for people to shake their finger at DTV and say "your product doesn't work over VOIP" when DTV's said all along that it requires a LAND-BASED phone connection.

Isn't it funny that it's the VOIP providers like VONAGE who are the ones having to make changes (new firmware on boxes, packet timing) and all of a sudden people's DTiVo's are able to dial out?

Yeah, definately sounds like a DTV issue w/ their product.
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:49 AM   #388
steveken

Quote:
OK, I work for DirecTV.

Buh-bye.

Actually, I don't. But I still think it's stupid for people to shake their finger at DTV and say "your product doesn't work over VOIP" when DTV's said all along that it requires a LAND-BASED phone connection.

Isn't it funny that it's the VOIP providers like VONAGE who are the ones having to make changes (new firmware on boxes, packet timing) and all of a sudden people's DTiVo's are able to dial out?

Ok, we REALLY needed that. It was completely useful. Next time you want to put up a post such as this, please do us all a favor and after you type it, just hit cancel. We don't really need a flame war or a smart ass point of view.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:38 AM   #389
Berry Dow

Quote:
OK, I work for DirecTV.

Buh-bye.

I know callvantage has made some firmware changes to get DTiVos to dial out.

Has vonage done anything yet?
Old 12-17-2004, 11:35 AM   #390
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
OK, I work for DirecTV...

Yeah, definitely sounds like a DTV issue w/ their product.
But I bet you don't understand, just like DirecTV management doesn't understand that people are getting rid of the old technology like landlines and what DirecTV should do is allow the use of the broadband instead of the obsolete technology of a modem. Many young people today, don't even bother purchasing telephone service, they buy cell phones. I am over 55 and I would eliminate my POTS service, if it wasn't for my three DirecTivos. Wake up DirecTV, get with the show and get your you know what out of your you know what. It's 2004, not 1998. I have had cable based broadband since 1998 and VOIP since 2003. It is archaic not to allow the option to use broadband and I don't mean VOIP, I mean straight broadband. Who cares if it never works over VOIP, just give us the option that we already paid for, USB and networking. And yes, we paid for it, the same way that DirecTV paid for it, because it is in the DirecTivo box.
(3) Hughes HDVR2 6.2
(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2
(2) Buggy HR24 6/25/2011
DirecTV 10/94
tbeckner is offline   Reply With Quote