TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2004, 09:06 PM   #811
lrreynolds

Quote:
Originally posted by lrreynolds
70 HBOH duplicated on 509
71 SHOH duplicated on 543
73 ESPH
74 BRVH
76 DSHD
78 HDNM
79 HDN
80 CBSE
81 CBSW
82 NBCE Scheduled 9/16/04
83 NBCW Scheduled 9/16/04
86 ABCE Not planned
87 ABCW Not planned
88 FOX Scheduled ??????
89 FOXW Scheduled ??????
91-97 NFL Ticket
99 PPVH [/b]
82 NBCE
83 NBCW

Are now available !
lrreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 10:01 PM   #812
Todd76

Quote:
Originally posted by lrreynolds
For those of us who cannot recieve OTA braodcasts or who do not have or want antenna it would be nice to have a concise and up to date list of what can rbe recieved from D*.
Try pressing the Guide button. All of DirecTV's HD channels are conveniently located in the 70-99 range.
Todd76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 11:42 PM   #813
botcher

How can we enter the . or - when tuning OTA HD channels - ie: I want to tune 6-1. Which key do I use between the 6 and 1 before hitting enter to tune the channel (subchannel)?

Right now I have to select the main ch #, then step up to the sub-channel.
What a PITA!

Eric
botcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 11:52 PM   #814
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by botcher
How can we enter the . or - when tuning OTA HD channels - ie: I want to tune 6-1. Which key do I use between the 6 and 1 before hitting enter to tune the channel (subchannel)?

Right now I have to select the main ch #, then step up to the sub-channel.
What a PITA!
You enter a "-" by pressing the button that has a "-" printed above it.

I know, sounds simple, right?

It's a dual purpose button; when you're not entering a channel number, this button is the ADVANCE -->| button (30 second skip when you enable that, too).

But pretty clearly printed on the remote, directly above it -- a "-".

BTW, you'll also find this information on Page 73 of the manual under the heading "Watching Live TV", subheading "Changing Channels".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 08:32 AM   #815
jsimtx

I appreciate your connection diagrams. I have four TVs, three TiVos, HDTV sattelite and off air antena for local HDTV. I think I need a 5X8 multiswitch and several diplexers to connect it all so that sattelite and OTA is available in each room. Could you add such a diagram for this? Thanks, jsimtx
jsimtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:09 PM   #816
botcher

Thanks Doug!
botcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:01 PM   #817
HDLouco

The recent SW upgrade cancelled the 30-second skip function, and I can't seem to remember the button sequence to reprogram it. Can anybody help? Thanks!
HDLouco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:39 PM   #818
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by HDLouco
The recent SW upgrade cancelled the 30-second skip function, and I can't seem to remember the button sequence to reprogram it. Can anybody help? Thanks!
Select Play Select 3 0 Select

Best done while playing back a recorded program.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:50 AM   #819
HDLouco

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Select Play Select 3 0 Select

Best done while playing back a recorded program.
Thanks, Doug! This time I wrote it on my manual so I won't have to bother nice guys like you.

Mauro
HDLouco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 12:52 PM   #820
hdtvluvr

I've read most of this thread and I'm a little confused.

I realize there are 4 tuners (2 sat and 2 OTA). I've read that you can record 2 channels simultaneously. However, can you record 2 and watch a 3rd?

In other words, if I'm recording 2 things off the sat, can I watch an OTA program? Or record 2 OTA and watch a sat channel?

If the answer is yes to the above, what about buffering the show being watched?

Thanks
hdtvluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 12:55 PM   #821
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by hdtvluvr
I've read most of this thread and I'm a little confused.

I realize there are 4 tuners (2 sat and 2 OTA). I've read that you can record 2 channels simultaneously. However, can you record 2 and watch a 3rd?

In other words, if I'm recording 2 things off the sat, can I watch an OTA program? Or record 2 OTA and watch a sat channel?

If the answer is yes to the above, what about buffering the show being watched?
Only 2 things can be recorded at a time. Watching live technically is watching a recorded stream, as it's recorded. So no, you cannot watch a 3rd channel live if two others are already recording, though you can watch something already recorded while 2 are recording.

Old 10-02-2004, 04:31 PM   #822
hdtvluvr

dswallow,

Thanks for the information. I was afraid that was the case.

How does everyone else handle these issues so that they can watch a 3rd channel?

At first, I thought about just adding the HD Tivo to my rack and keeping the E86 for live TV. However, my TV only has 1 1080i input so I can not attach the E86 and the HD Tivo and get the best image.

Second, my 5.1 reciever only has 1 optical input (currently used by my E86 since it only has an optical out). According to the specs on the HD Tivo, it only has an optical output. Therefore, I can't have the E86 and HD Tivo connected at the same time.

How does everyone else do this?
Old 10-02-2004, 05:44 PM   #823
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
dswallow,

Thanks for the information. I was afraid that was the case.

How does everyone else handle these issues so that they can watch a 3rd channel?

At first, I thought about just adding the HD Tivo to my rack and keeping the E86 for live TV. However, my TV only has 1 1080i input so I can not attach the E86 and the HD Tivo and get the best image.

Second, my 5.1 reciever only has 1 optical input (currently used by my E86 since it only has an optical out). According to the specs on the HD Tivo, it only has an optical output. Therefore, I can't have the E86 and HD Tivo connected at the same time.

How does everyone else do this?
There are component and DVI switchers that also switch a digital audio signal that can be used which respond to IR controls, so a universal remote can take care of changing things around. Zektor makes several: http://www.valueelectronics.com/acce...ektor%20DVS5.1

Or you can get a new receiver with more inputs.

Old 10-02-2004, 06:02 PM   #824
hdtvluvr

Thanks,
I'll look into my options.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:02 PM   #825
Todd76

Quote:
I kept the SD TiVo.
Todd76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:11 AM   #826
bschrecker

HDTV Tivo for digital cable

I apologize ahead of time if this topic has been answered or if this is an uninformed post.

I have a Sony TiVo DVR hooked to comcast digital cable. I recently bought a new high def. TV, they installed a high def. cable box. But, obviously, my TiVo is for standard viewing.

So I would like to watch my TiVo programs in High Def.

With digital cable (not satellite) which HDTV TiVo DVR is compatible?
bschrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:16 AM   #827
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: HDTV Tivo for digital cable

Quote:
Originally posted by bschrecker
With digital cable (not satellite) which HDTV TiVo DVR is compatible?
None; there's only a HD DVR w/TiVo for DirecTV.

Old 10-18-2004, 11:25 AM   #828
bschrecker

thank you Doug

man thats bad news

Is that something thats on the horizon or mentioned by anyone else?

I appreciate your help.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:27 AM   #829
maharg18

Quote:
Originally posted by bschrecker

Is that something thats on the horizon or mentioned by anyone else?

Only rumors at this point.. Hopefully something will be announced at CES in January.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:39 AM   #830
bschrecker

great thank you Maharg love the site
Old 10-22-2004, 09:19 PM   #831
DevoDave

Thanks for the informative FAQ. Before I plunk down the big cash for HD DVR, I wonder about two issues:

1) Integrated OTA on the menu and Tivo functionality. Currently, my OTA HD signal is great from a tiny Silver Sensor indoor, but the programming guide is sparse. Is recording OTA HD on the HD Tivo straightforward? How do the programming guides integrate for DirecTV and OTA?
2) Picture quality. Early HD recievers had the blocky artifiacts. How is the HD DVR doing for PQ?

Thanks
DevoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 12:49 AM   #832
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Is your current HD program guide the PSIP data transmitted OTA by the local stations? PSIP guide data tends to vary greatly between stations. Some offer none at all, others provide good coverage.

The HD TiVo does NOT use PSIP program guide data. Instead, it uses the DirecTV Advanced Program Guide (APG) which combines their satellite channels and your local OTA channels (based on your zipcode) into a single guide that offers 14 day look ahead. In other words, the DirecTV HDTV OTA guide is much better than PSIP offered OTA.

So, with the HD TiVo DVR, the OTA signals come from your local antenna (SS in your case, at least for now), while the OTA program guide info is included in the APG sent via satellite.

The single guide, IMHO, does an excellent job of integrating DirecTV channels and digital OTA channels (DTV and HDTV) that can all be received using the HD TiVo.

Regarding HD TiVO HD picture quality, that seems to vary by what combinations of equipment are being used. In my case, I am totally satisfied with the HD TiVo PQ. But, I am lucky to live in an area where OTA HD reception is very good.

If you already have an SD DirecTV DVR with TiVo, you will find that the HD TiVo behaves nearly identically. The differences relate to the addition of HDTV and OTA digital, and some added menus and controls needed for those additions.

Bottom line for me: as DirecTiVo users for nearly three years, the HD TiVo was high on my wish list, and I have beeen completely satisfied. I no longer have to watch HDTV in real time, I have gone back to TiVo-based time shifting, now including HDTV programs.

Sounds to me like you could be equally satisfied. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2004, 09:38 PM   #833
Bagger9

Hi all,

I have been reading & reading & now I have a stupid question to which I think I already have the answer but I am looking for confirmation here:

If I am getting Structured Wiring put in my new home build (2 RG6 Quad shield & 2 Cat5 to each room) & I want to go with the Directv HD Tivo in 1 room, will the 2 coaxs be sufficient or do I need 3?

Also, with the same Structured Wiring setup, if I have a DirecTv Tivo (non-HD) in 1 room & I want to run that same signal to another room, can this be done through the Structured Wiring plates? In the room with the Tivo, wouldn't I have to use the 2 coaxs for the Tivo & if so then where will I run the signal that I split from the TV in that room back out to the other room? Or, is it possible to use 1 coax on the wall plate & split that to the Tivo receiver fo rhte 2 coax inputs, freeing the other coax on the wall plate up as a return to the other room? Am I making sense?

I am about 1-2- weeks away from going over all of this with my installer & electrician & I need to know what I am talking about.

Basically, what I want in the house is this:

- Home Theater Room with a HD Tivo

- Family Room with a Tivo (future expandable to HD Tivo

- Kitchen with the feed from the Family Room (but future expandable for its own Tivo, even HD)

- Office with a DSS receiver

- 4 Bedrooms all capable of running a Tivo, possibly HD Tivos in the future & all capable of running feeds to other bedrooms

- Master Bedroom with the feed from the Master Bedroom (future expandable fo rits own receiver)

- Garage, Basement & Rear Deck all capable of running their own receiver, possibly Tivo, & capable of running feeds from one to the other.

Does it sound like tructure Wiring will allow me to do everythign I want or will I need some additional runs of coax? I have read so much & talked to so many people but I cannot get a truly concise, decisive answer that makes me feel confident. After reading here I feel like this might be the place to steer me in the right direction & give me confidence! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bagger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 09:53 PM   #834
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Structured wiring provides flexibility, but you have to account for the multiple uses you expect to have to decide how many runs you want from/to each location. I'd suggest you use a separate coax run for each signal you need to send, giving you the flexibility later to double things up where possible, rather than relying on doubling things up now.

For instance, you can share a coax line for a satellite signal with an antenna, cable or RF modulated signal, so you could manage to get things around in that manner, but since you can run separate lines for each now, that makes it all simpler to follow. Later if you needed to do other things, you could combine two cables into one where the signals are compatible and free up a line for that other use.

From your description of what you desire, though, I think you need to be looking at more professional methods of whole house video/audio distribution. The wiring alone is really only part of it, and from what I can see, you're going to have a nightmare figuring out how to control everything from various remote locations. Such whole house audio/video systems often can use things like CAT5 wiring or even optical fiber to distribute things, so your wiring requirements could be very different.

But if you're just trying to get the wiring in place for the ultimate in flexibility, I'd run as much wire as you can afford. Take your major viewing locations and run extra wiring. I'd consider 2 coax and 2 CAT-5 to be a good starting point for remote locations, but for the prime ones, you'll probably want more. Consider additional satellite services you might want to subscribe to, or even the concept of using cable TV in addition to DirecTV -- who knows what the future may bring.

And don't forget the wiring from your satellite dish location(s) to your central wiring point -- DirecTV has big plans for adding more satellites to provide HD content; this'll mean more wires to your multiswitch(es), so run them now while it's easier. Then run 4 or 5 more.

Old 10-23-2004, 10:16 PM   #835
Bagger9

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Structured wiring provides flexibility, but you have to account for the multiple uses you expect to have to decide how many runs you want from/to each location. I'd suggest you use a separate coax run for each signal you need to send, giving you the flexibility later to double things up where possible, rather than relying on doubling things up now.

For instance, you can share a coax line for a satellite signal with an antenna, cable or RF modulated signal, so you could manage to get things around in that manner, but since you can run separate lines for each now, that makes it all simpler to follow. Later if you needed to do other things, you could combine two cables into one where the signals are compatible and free up a line for that other use.

From your description of what you desire, though, I think you need to be looking at more professional methods of whole house video/audio distribution. The wiring alone is really only part of it, and from what I can see, you're going to have a nightmare figuring out how to control everything from various remote locations. Such whole house audio/video systems often can use things like CAT5 wiring or even optical fiber to distribute things, so your wiring requirements could be very different.

But if you're just trying to get the wiring in place for the ultimate in flexibility, I'd run as much wire as you can afford. Take your major viewing locations and run extra wiring. I'd consider 2 coax and 2 CAT-5 to be a good starting point for remote locations, but for the prime ones, you'll probably want more. Consider additional satellite services you might want to subscribe to, or even the concept of using cable TV in addition to DirecTV -- who knows what the future may bring.

And don't forget the wiring from your satellite dish location(s) to your central wiring point -- DirecTV has big plans for adding more satellites to provide HD content; this'll mean more wires to your multiswitch(es), so run them now while it's easier. Then run 4 or 5 more.
Thanks for the answer - I definately hear you about more runs from the roof - I am thinking 6 would be good - 4 for the Dish, 1 OTA & another for future use.

SO, in the rooms, what you are saying is that I should take my prime viewing areas (Home Theater, Family Room & Master Bedroom) & in addition to the 2 coaxs on the Structured Wiring setup run an additional coax as well?

My biggest confusion deals with the Directv HD Tivo - do I need 3 coaxs for this - 2 Tivo & 1 OTA - or does the OTA combine in 1 of the 2 for the Tivo?

I appreciate all your advice on this as I can see from reading that you are a guru!
Bagger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 10:26 PM   #836
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by Bagger9
Thanks for the answer - I definately hear you about more runs from the roof - I am thinking 6 would be good - 4 for the Dish, 1 OTA & another for future use.

SO, in the rooms, what you are saying is that I should take my prime viewing areas (Home Theater, Family Room & Master Bedroom) & in addition to the 2 coaxs on the Structured Wiring setup run an additional coax as well?

My biggest confusion deals with the Directv HD Tivo - do I need 3 coaxs for this - 2 Tivo & 1 OTA - or does the OTA combine in 1 of the 2 for the Tivo?

I appreciate all your advice on this as I can see from reading that you are a guru!
The HR10-250 needs two separate coax lines; you can use a third for OTA or you can distribute OTA combined with the satellite coax lines (OTA uses 50-800MHz, the satellite side uses 950-1450MHz, hence why they can coexist). A 5x8 multiswitch combines an OTA or cable signal with all 8 satellite outputs, for instance, or you can use diplexers to add the OTA or cable signal to individual satellite lines.

I'd suggest 4 or 5 coax runs to your prime viewing areas, plus any additional runs you need if you're going to try to distribute video back from there to other places. I'd also suggest you think about OTA issues, like controlling an antenna rotator, requiring 3 or 4-conductor wiring, for instance. A phone line, a network connection, and maybe additional CAT-5 to send HD video back to other locations.

I don't think it's impractical to believe at some time you'd consider having 2 DVR's in your prime viewing locations; often enough we hear about people who have conflicts with just 2 tuners when attempting to record things, so that alone would mean 4 lines run just for satellite signals (and possibly OTA too). Then having some extra in addition to what you can conceive of using is always good to cover those things you cannot conceive of needing.

The cost of running extra cable now is minor compared to the cost and labor of adding it later. You'll live if wire goes unused, but if you need something you didn't plan for and it's not there...

Old 10-25-2004, 03:38 AM   #837
TivoMo

Any update on these problems yet? I want to get one of these at my local Best Buy but maybe I should just wait.

Makes me wonder what the guys on ebay that sell 'upgraded' units are doing to fix the issue for their customers since they will not be warranteed.

TivoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:08 PM   #838
IT_Dave

Conduit

Quote:
Originally posted by Bagger9
Hi all,

I have been reading & reading & now I have a stupid question to which I think I already have the answer but I am looking for confirmation here:

If I am getting Structured Wiring put in my new home build (2 RG6 Quad shield & 2 Cat5 to each room) & I want to go with the Directv HD Tivo in 1 room, will the 2 coaxs be sufficient or do I need 3?

Also, with the same Structured Wiring setup, if I have a DirecTv Tivo (non-HD) in 1 room & I want to run that same signal to another room, can this be done through the Structured Wiring plates? In the room with the Tivo, wouldn't I have to use the 2 coaxs for the Tivo & if so then where will I run the signal that I split from the TV in that room back out to the other room? Or, is it possible to use 1 coax on the wall plate & split that to the Tivo receiver fo rhte 2 coax inputs, freeing the other coax on the wall plate up as a return to the other room? Am I making sense?

I am about 1-2- weeks away from going over all of this with my installer & electrician & I need to know what I am talking about.

Basically, what I want in the house is this:

- Home Theater Room with a HD Tivo

- Family Room with a Tivo (future expandable to HD Tivo

- Kitchen with the feed from the Family Room (but future expandable for its own Tivo, even HD)

- Office with a DSS receiver

- 4 Bedrooms all capable of running a Tivo, possibly HD Tivos in the future & all capable of running feeds to other bedrooms

- Master Bedroom with the feed from the Master Bedroom (future expandable fo rits own receiver)

- Garage, Basement & Rear Deck all capable of running their own receiver, possibly Tivo, & capable of running feeds from one to the other.

Does it sound like tructure Wiring will allow me to do everythign I want or will I need some additional runs of coax? I have read so much & talked to so many people but I cannot get a truly concise, decisive answer that makes me feel confident. After reading here I feel like this might be the place to steer me in the right direction & give me confidence! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds to me like you should get some good conduit installed which would provide adequate shielding and pulling of new cables into all rooms/locations. That sounds like the best bet!

Dave
www.ForLowerBills.com
IT_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 08:20 PM   #839
mattnaz

I am new to this forum and just started looking into this unit. I figured I would wait for them to fix the bugs before I made the purchase. I have a couple of questions.

1. Should I purchase now or wait?

2.I will need to coaxs from the dish to run this receiver? I currently have one to the receiver I have now but I am guessing 2 are required to record sat and watch another channel on sat?

3.With my current set up, I have 2 receivers so I can do Picture in Picture and send out a signal to other rooms. Would I have to give up this option if I don't want to run another line from the dish?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by mattnaz : 11-18-2004 at 09:00 PM.
mattnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:42 AM   #840
feldon23
MythBuster

Why would anyone ever need more than 4 coax runs to a room? You can always put a 4xX multiswitch, right?