Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-12-2004, 09:48 PM   #91
loco_ped

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff_hanna
Loco_ped,

A Series 2 is definately wireless compatible. The 240 series can actually use more adapters (notably the Linksys WUSB 12) than other series 2.

Check your TiVO software version # in the settings menu. If it still shows 4.01 you might need to power down your TiVO and reboot it. Any new software update that is downloaded will not become available until after the TiVO reboots.
I'm still showing 4.0.1 and I've powered down many time yet it still won't recognize the D-Link 120 V.F1 usb adapter. I decided to go ahead and buy the Linksys adapter since it seems to be the recomended one, the only issue I have is that now I have a D-link adapter I don't need and I can't return because I bought it off Newegg. Oh well Maybe I'll use it when I buy my next tivo. Thanks for your help though. I'll see if the software changes anytime soon.
loco_ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:48 AM   #92
srea

I have a USB200M on my TiVo 2.
Can I connect this to a 801g ethernet to wireless bridge (DWL-G810) and operate 801g. It doesn't seem like the TiVo needs to know anything about the bridge since only the USB200M is connected via USB. The bridge seems to work fine with eveything else I've connected. Thanks, Steve
srea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:31 PM   #93
AtlCub

srea: yes you can, that's EXACTLY how I have mine hooked up.. same exact part #'s for the wired and the G adapter.
AtlCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:57 PM   #94
Ron90069

NetGear MA111 shuts off

I bought a NetGear MA111 (v1) adaptor and a WGR614 router mid-June. Hooked 'em up, and TiVo worked perfectly right off the bat.

HOWEVER, for the past two weeks, the MA111 powers down (green light goes off, it gets cold) within 1-6 hours. TiVo shows no connected adaptor.

I unplug and replug it, and all is well - for a few hours.

I have tried both USB slots, tried an extension cable (to get it away from the unit), and as a last resort called NetGear. Their tech support ran through some tests, and indeed, when the MA111 is plugged into my COMPUTER (though still using my wired connection normally), the thing stays powered up perfectly. Move it back to the TiVo, and it's off in a few hours.

NetGear of course says it's a TiVo problem; TiVo support (2 levels) today says it must be a NetGear problem.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

-- Ron
Ron90069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:44 PM   #95
synergy3000

Question Toshiba and Linksys

I just bought and setup my Toshiba Tivo unit. Looking at the system info it looks like I have system 5.1.1. I did run at least one phone line update.
My Toshiba does not recognize my Linksys WUSB11. The Linksys is version 2.8.
Any ideas on how to get the Tivo to recognize the WUSB11?

Thanks
synergy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:07 AM   #96
mobetta

Smile awesome wireless connection!

i'm new to this so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place but wanted to share news.
i've just purchased and installed a Pioneer Elite DVR-57H DVD Recorder / Player which i then hooked up to my home network(wireless) via two apple airports(i'm a designer using G4 laptop). i plugged in a D-Link USB Adapter(802.11B) and it is smooth sailing!!!
no wires, no worries and life is sweet!
mobetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 08:40 AM   #97
BetterYeti
Looks like chicken.

I'm in a similar predicament to Loco Ped. I'm switching to wireless networking because my unit's modem has failed and an external modem hasn't been able to work either. Basically, I have to try to do this without having to make a phone call.

The unit is an AT&T 40 hour running 4.0.1b. I have connected a Linksys WUSB11 (v2.8) to the unit (the network router is a Linksys W54G).

My problem: The Settings page menu gives an option for "Phone & Network Settings" but when selected, it brings me to a page that only offers phone settings, with no selections for changing connection or editing network settings. It does have a yellow star option that takes you to directions on how to connect to a network which, essentially, directs me back to the pages and options that I don't have access to. Suggestions? Any suggestion that requires making a phone call is off the table.

Unit is working fine otherwise (a lot of manual recordings), but I don't want to be left with a dumb DVR.
BetterYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:49 PM   #98
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BetterYeti
The unit is an AT&T 40 hour running 4.0.1b. I have connected a Linksys WUSB11 (v2.8) to the unit (the network router is a Linksys W54G).
That software version is fine. Check your physical connections: make sure the USB cable isn't backwards, try both USB ports, and so forth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:41 AM   #99
BetterYeti
Looks like chicken.

Quote:
Check your physical connections: make sure the USB cable isn't backwards, try both USB ports, and so forth.
Thanks. I did all that without success. Then, I connected the adapter to my PC running XP and was informed the adapter malfunctioned. Got another adapter, checked that one on the PC, and it was recognized. Hooked it up to the Tivo and everything worked first time through.

It has been working pretty much perfectly for two days, even sharing photos. The last thing I expected the cause would be a hardware problem right out of the box. Reading these threads, it seems Linksys might have a little QC problem with these adapters?
BetterYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 05:30 PM   #100
lisafab

SDH-400/MA111 Wireless

Quote:
Originally posted by ejeckert
I have a Toshiba SD-h400 and I need to update the software on my tivo before I could get it to work. I am a network admin by trade so I was hoping my knowlegde of computer would help me. It did. But I needed to have my Tivo at 5.1.1b to detect my Netgear MA111...which someone mentioned in this thread that it is a g/b USB adapter...It is only a 802.11b. I have my card setup with WEP (128-bit) and my access point is mac address filter (cant have enough security) as well as the SSID is no broadcasting..hey it comes with the trade. It works excellect and the MA111 is small and comes with a 18" usb extension cord...oh and best buy has it for 49 before a 20 dollar rebate so its a good deal!! Just remember the toshiba must be updated to 5.1.1b the 5.1.01 doesnt see any USB adapter...at least mine didnt! Good luck. I like the MA111 it seems to work well and if you use WEP make sure your key in the router is HEX as well as HEX in the Tivo. The Alpha keys dont work with the MA111...at least I couldnt get it to work so stick with the HEX key for WEP!! Good luck
Yes! I have the same setup as you and was going crazy. Thought I had the latest software after I did the phone setup. Took me a while to realize my mother had inadvertantly switched off the box then turned it on again. Software update was incomplete!

After reading your post I checked the software version and it was only 5.1.01. Re-connected phone line, downloaded the latest software (5.1.1b) and voila! (pardon my French) Everything is fine.

Remember Toshiba SDH400/MA111 users, make sure your software is 5.1.1b!

Thanks so much,

Lisa

PS Now if I could only pick your brain on another wireless network issue...:-)
lisafab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 05:39 PM   #101
lisafab

Quote:
Originally posted by loco_ped
I'm still showing 4.0.1 and I've powered down many time yet it still won't recognize the D-Link 120 V.F1 usb adapter. I decided to go ahead and buy the Linksys adapter since it seems to be the recomended one, the only issue I have is that now I have a D-link adapter I don't need and I can't return because I bought it off Newegg. Oh well Maybe I'll use it when I buy my next tivo. Thanks for your help though. I'll see if the software changes anytime soon.
I'm a newbie and don't know if it'll help but please check out my post #101.

Lisa
lisafab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 02:03 PM   #102
rijo

also having trouble connecting

i have a series 2 tivo 240 -- 80 hour and a d-link dwl-122 and am unable to connect to tivo also using my wireless network. i have tried dropping my wep key and renaming my network. i am using a ppoa and have it set to find an ip address automatically. tivo shows my wireless network and is connected at 76% and also shows an ip address. however, when i try to connect i get the message gateway not found or failed while negotiating. i am not sure what other ways to make it work. if anyone has any ideas that would be greatly appreciated!

thanks.
rijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 02:25 AM   #103
jushen1

Hi, just want to post my configuration which finally works:

I have a Toshiba SD-H400, and Netgear MR814v2 wireless router. Therefore naturally I got the Netgear MA111 USB adapter in the first place, thinking it would go happily with the router. Unfortunately, although the USB adapter was recognized immediately since I plugged in, the signal died a couple of minutes later. Tried numerous times and it was always so. Forced TiVo connected back to center to get the latest 5.1.1.b, also updated the Netgear router firmware, but MA111 still died on me every couple of minutes (and never woke up).

Finally I went back to store today to exchange a Linksys WUSB11 v2.8. It was a breeze to install. I was able to listen to my MP3 and view my photos in 1 minute.

Note: The Netgear MA111 I got was v.1. I have no idea if v.2 would work or not. You can know which version it is from the box. Small print somewhere on the box.
jushen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:19 PM   #104
Ian
TBLBITW

Hi all-

Last night I was able to set up my TiVo to a new wireless network using a Netgear b wireless router and the MA111 (little compact USB adapter).

It works like a charm, photos and music transfer and play fine, and I'm able to connect to the TiVo service without problems.

One small question - I have a 2.4 GHZ (new) Panasonic phone, and so far, so good. I've got the phone and router in very close proximity, and my signal doesn't drop past 55%, (it usually hovers at 85% when my router is more than a foot away), and even when I'm on the phone, the music keeps playing normally.

So... does this mean I don't have the dreaded "interference problem?" In other words, assuming music plays well and signal strength doesn't drop too far when I'm on a call (even if the router and phone are within one foot of each other), should I be OK?

I know, if what I'm using NOW works, I AM OK... but I always think ahead, and I may get a laptop one day, or decide to stream video from the TiVo with TiVo to Go.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2004, 06:25 PM   #105
jushen1

Re: SDH-400/MA111 Wireless

Quote:
Originally posted by lisafab
Yes! I have the same setup as you and was going crazy. Thought I had the latest software after I did the phone setup. Took me a while to realize my mother had inadvertantly switched off the box then turned it on again. Software update was incomplete!

After reading your post I checked the software version and it was only 5.1.01. Re-connected phone line, downloaded the latest software (5.1.1b) and voila! (pardon my French) Everything is fine.

Remember Toshiba SDH400/MA111 users, make sure your software is 5.1.1b!

Thanks so much,

Lisa

PS Now if I could only pick your brain on another wireless network issue...:-)
Lisa, just curious, what's the brand of your wireless router (name and version, including hardware and firmware). I had the same equipments as yours -- except the router (which I don't know) and the MA111 didn't work, but Linksys works.

Thanks.

JT
Old 09-22-2004, 06:27 PM   #106
jushen1

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Hi all-

Last night I was able to set up my TiVo to a new wireless network using a Netgear b wireless router and the MA111 (little compact USB adapter).

It works like a charm, photos and music transfer and play fine, and I'm able to connect to the TiVo service without problems.

One small question - I have a 2.4 GHZ (new) Panasonic phone, and so far, so good. I've got the phone and router in very close proximity, and my signal doesn't drop past 55%, (it usually hovers at 85% when my router is more than a foot away), and even when I'm on the phone, the music keeps playing normally.

So... does this mean I don't have the dreaded "interference problem?" In other words, assuming music plays well and signal strength doesn't drop too far when I'm on a call (even if the router and phone are within one foot of each other), should I be OK?

I know, if what I'm using NOW works, I AM OK... but I always think ahead, and I may get a laptop one day, or decide to stream video from the TiVo with TiVo to Go.

Thanks!
If you want your post to be more helpful to others, you should indicate the

brand, hardware version, firmware version of

your TiVo, wireless router, and USB adapter ...
Old 09-22-2004, 09:15 PM   #107
Ian
TBLBITW

Thanks... actually, everything works perfectly unless the router is literally within 1 foot of the cordless phone, while I'm on it... then, music will stop streaming. Of course, since it's recommended to keep the router AWAY from the phone base station, this should normally be a problem!

I have a Netgear 814 router with MA 111 wireless adapter, and a Panasonic 2.4 GHz phone (new model).

I'm thrilled with the wireless connection to my TiVo... wish I had done this ages ago!

Thanks!

-Ian
Old 09-22-2004, 09:33 PM   #108
jushen1

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Thanks... actually, everything works perfectly unless the router is literally within 1 foot of the cordless phone, while I'm on it... then, music will stop streaming. Of course, since it's recommended to keep the router AWAY from the phone base station, this should normally be a problem!

I have a Netgear 814 router with MA 111 wireless adapter, and a Panasonic 2.4 GHz phone (new model).

I'm thrilled with the wireless connection to my TiVo... wish I had done this ages ago!

Thanks!

-Ian
Thanks ... but still ...

Netgear 814 has TWO versions, v1 and v2. For v2 (don't know about v1), there are several different firmware versions as well ...

For MA111, there are two versions as well ... look at the box for some very small prints. If it's v2, it will tell you somewhere.

For TiVo series 2, there are also a handful different variants ... TiVo 2 standalone, Toshiba ... also the version of the systemware ...

From the posts across the forums, I've seen some people reported success, some others not. I suspect it's due to these minor details.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:37 PM   #109
Ian
TBLBITW

OK...

Tivo 540040
Netgear MR814v2
Netgear MA11 (does not say v2)

Thanks!

-Ian
Old 09-22-2004, 09:46 PM   #110
jushen1

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
OK...

Tivo 540040
Netgear MR814v2
Netgear MA11 (does not say v2)

Thanks!

-Ian
Thanks. It would be even perfect if you can post the firmware version of your router.

Maybe someone could complie a list of "Would Do" and "Wouldn't Do" of all the combinations?

For my combination:

---------------------------------------------------------------
TiVo: Toshiba SD-H400, latest systemware: 5.1.1b
Router: Netgear MR814v2, firmware 5.3 (latest)
USB: Linksys WUSB11 v.2.8

Used Netgear USB MA111 v1 at the beginning, but failed.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Old 09-23-2004, 12:02 AM   #111
wizzy
S1, (2) S2, TivoHD

Tried a Hawking HWU300 w/ a refurb series 2 (4.01b), no luck. I thought since my wired Hawking worked fine, and the HWU250 had been reported as working, that I'd be fine, but no luck. The tivo doesn't see the wireless adapater. Plugged in the wired Hawking, and it found it right away.

Oh, well. Back to the store.

Last edited by wizzy : 09-23-2004 at 09:15 AM.
wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 04:00 PM   #112
dbpaddler

I'd like to say I'm a bit peeved that I have to upgrade my SDH400 twice to get it wireless. Over the phone it takes frickin' forever. And who knows, the the MAG111 might have worked at that point since it's B&G compatible. Instead I just assumed it wasn't compatible and went with the MA111. Difference of $10 to $20 after rebate at CompUSA, but I'd rather have the better one if it would be beneficial in the long run.
dbpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 04:09 PM   #113
jushen1

Quote:
Originally posted by dbpaddler
I'd like to say I'm a bit peeved that I have to upgrade my SDH400 twice to get it wireless. Over the phone it takes frickin' forever. And who knows, the the MAG111 might have worked at that point since it's B&G compatible. Instead I just assumed it wasn't compatible and went with the MA111. Difference of $10 to $20 after rebate at CompUSA, but I'd rather have the better one if it would be beneficial in the long run.
People, this might also have something to do with the specifc details of your wireless router. Please also post the brand, firmware version of the router if you'd like your post to be more helpful ...
Old 09-25-2004, 04:26 PM   #114
dbpaddler

gotta get to that point though. I'm still trying to get the SDH400 to recognize the adapter first. Then when I get it all going I'll worry about that. I'm not technically declined so I was just trying to post my frustration. Seriously, Toshiba should have an insert or something about the whole wireless thing. Don't know why the initial TV firmware upgrade couldn't be to the .b version. And nowhere in the initial setup did it ask if you were going to network your setup at all.

I think the setup should initially ask how you're setting it up if it determines what firmware version is installed. I think that's my point. Then I'm all for giving my tivo/adapter/wireless setup and if it works or not. baby steps......haha.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:32 PM   #115
jushen1

Hi, as you can see from my previous post, I couldn't get MA111 to stay connected for more than a couple of minutes. I tried two wireless adapters and Toshi could recognize them in seconds. You might want to try other adapters to see if your Toshi can recognize them ... From the threads in this forum, it seems most adapters can be recognized ... Please post back your result. Post your symptoms, maybe some other members can help.

Have you tried to force Toshi to connect back to the central server to upgrade?

Also, in my case, Toshi detected the wireless card as soon as I plugged it in.

Still, what's the brand of your router?
Old 09-25-2004, 05:19 PM   #116
bedelman
Call me Bob

In regard to trying to get the MAG111 to work, it would not have worked. Currently, no 802.11g adapters are supported at all. The list of adapters that work can be found at www.tivo.com/adapters

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 05:29 PM   #117
jushen1

Note

Quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
In regard to trying to get the MAG111 to work, it would not have worked. Currently, no 802.11g adapters are supported at all. The list of adapters that work can be found at www.tivo.com/adapters
So the expert spoke ..

Do you think it a good idea that asking people to post their successful/unsuccessful configuratoins, with details (model, hardware version, firmware version ... etc), and collect them in one thread?
Old 09-25-2004, 05:42 PM   #118
dbpaddler

gotchya. figured if it works on b and g that it would work. guess that's not the case. I guess you're the one to complain to......why did I have to update the firmware twice to get the networking going? why didn't it upgrade to the .b firmware the first time around, especially if that's the latest version. It takes forever to download so I'm spending way too much of my Saturday getting this going. If it's not going to automatically download the .b version of the software initially, then it should at least ask you how you plan to set it up so it can determine which version to give you. Just a royal PITA. I'd feel better at this point if my service was updated. I paid by credit card last night, and the transaction still isn't complete so I still can't set it and forget yet. Never had this problem with Bank of America (not completing the transaction) so I don't know where the problem truly lies. But I'm connected:

Wireless Router is a D-Link DI-624 Version C, Firmware v2.42 (the newest one is in beta)
Adapter: Netgear MA111
And of course the Toshiba SDH400(for only a $100 after rebates)

got rid of my g/f's cheap Sungale DVD player and aging non-hifi vcr. And I can stream music from my pc so I don't have to have my Rio Karma or Carbon connected all the time. Can only imagine the streaming getting better with an upgrade to G.

Quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
In regard to trying to get the MAG111 to work, it would not have worked. Currently, no 802.11g adapters are supported at all.

Old 09-25-2004, 05:47 PM   #119
jushen1

Quote:
Originally posted by dbpaddler
gguess that's not the case. I guess you're the one to complain to......
No, he is a nice experienced forum member who has warmheartedly helped many other members, attested by many posts accross the forums ...
Old 09-26-2004, 10:13 AM   #120
dbpaddler

I wasn't trying to be mean there. I'm on quite a few product's forums where engineers and such hang out from the company. Very helpful. Got me into beta testing for the one company. Wasn't trying to sound mean there so I hope I didn't. Was just frustrated at the time

Quote:
Originally posted by jushen1
No, he is a nice experienced forum member who has warmheartedly helped many other members, attested by many posts accross the forums ...