TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2004, 08:24 PM   #301
Bardman

I guess I forgot to mention that part. I have my moto box wired between my Cable Modem and my Router

Cable modem - vonage box - Linksys router - computer & Xbox

Maybe the moto box NOT going thru the router makes a difference for my HDVR2s???
H24 receiver
HR21 receiver
Bardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:14 PM   #302
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally posted by Bardman
Maybe the moto box NOT going thru the router makes a difference for my HDVR2s???
Probably. Your config is more likely to give Vonage pretty much all of the bandwidth that it needs. Putting the Moto after the router doesn't, unless the router does QOS, which I don't think most home ones do.
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:13 AM   #303
scottt
Macintosh Guru

Had my Vonage box upgraded to ver 17 and set to 10ms. No luck with my HDVR2. T-60 is still dialing fine.
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:14 AM   #304
F18fxr
RETIRED US NAVY

Quote:
Originally posted by ibleedblue
Plug your ethernet cable from the NIC to the PC port on the moto box. You need to bypass the router (leave the moto box hooked to router) 192.168.102.1 is the IP addy for the moto box. This will get you into the ATA setup. You should be able to find the software version from there. Can't be more specific because I'm at work and the ATA is at home.
I still have software v 16e. I had emailed support at vonage for an upgrade like another poster had done, but they haven't upgraded me yet. I'll play with my external modem today and see if I can get that to work.
F18fxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:28 AM   #305
pigvig
TiVo Underling

Well, I had my Motorola MTA "upgraded" to firmware version .17 yesterday. When I get back from vacation next week I'm going see if my Phillips unit will dial sans external modem. We shall see!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
connected!
pigvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:17 AM   #306
F18fxr
RETIRED US NAVY

Quote:
Originally posted by pigvig
Do you have a cable to connect the modem to a PC? You can use the Windows program Hyperterminal (Programs...Accessories...Communcations on Windows XP) and use the command ATDT to get a dial tone. Make sure you set the COM port in Hyperterminal accordingly. If that command works, most likely the modem is fine.

It sounds like you are taking the dip-switch approach to programming the modem. I suggest setting the back to default and program the modem using the soft codes. Here are the codes that I used:

AT&R1
AT&S0
AT&N10
AT&U6
AT&W0

NOTE: AT&N10 sets the modem at 19,200 - you'll want to use AT&N6 for 9600 baud. Also, make sure that the #1 DIP switch is set low (down).

Keep the ",#319" code on the Tivo - this tells it to use an external modem.

Also, keep in mind that the slowdown code ",#396" only works on a series 1 DirecTivo. If you are using a series 2, then you'll have to use an external modem.
I get an error when i plug in the code AT&U6.

I'm also not able to change any switches unless I open the modem case. I'm using the cable with the jumpers as described in the OP.

I did test the modem using different codes from another post and got it to connect via my computer, but when I hooked it back up to the TiVo it said "no dial tone". I'm using a Sportster 14.4 faxmodem.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:31 AM   #307
pigvig
TiVo Underling

The code AT&U6 sets the minmimum link rate. You might want to try U3 instead (2400 baud). Maybe it is a problem to set N & U the same. I don't know.

Here is a good modem command reference:

http://www.usr.com/support/756/756-ug/six.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
connected!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:42 AM   #308
F18fxr
RETIRED US NAVY

Quote:
Originally posted by pigvig
The code AT&U6 sets the minmimum link rate. You might want to try U3 instead (2400 baud). Maybe it is a problem to set N & U the same. I don't know.

Here is a good modem command reference:

http://www.usr.com/support/756/756-ug/six.html

Just to make sure we are on the same page, I have a HDVR2, using the cable described in the first post with the jumpers. I've been reading that I may not need some of these codes if I have the jumpers.

I tried using N5 code which takes me down to 7200 baud. But I still get MODEM NOT RESPONDING.

Last edited by F18fxr : 08-18-2004 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:01 AM   #309
pigvig
TiVo Underling

Yes, you are correct.

You might have to open the case up and check the DIP switch settings (if you have them). I was having the same problem as you and I had to change the #1 switch to low (down) which fixed it.

connected!
Old 08-18-2004, 01:53 PM   #310
F18fxr
RETIRED US NAVY

I don't know why I can't get this to work....I didn't find any switches inside the modem.

Guess I'll have to buy one of the ebay specials.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:02 PM   #311
pigvig
TiVo Underling

When the Tivo is trying to dial do the modem lights blink at all? When I was having problems, mine kind of "twitched".

connected!
Old 08-18-2004, 02:26 PM   #312
F18fxr
RETIRED US NAVY

No nothing, I observed the lights while it was hooked to my PC and it worked fine.

Maybe it's the codes?

(BTW, thanks for the continued help)
Old 08-18-2004, 02:40 PM   #313
pigvig
TiVo Underling

I would try to borrow a modem from someone and see if that works. Preferably, a US robotics 56k (with DIP switches).

connected!
Old 08-18-2004, 04:23 PM   #314
SecureTalk

Quote:
Originally posted by scottt
Had my Vonage box upgraded to ver 17 and set to 10ms. No luck with my HDVR2. T-60 is still dialing fine.
How do you fdetermine the SW version running on the ATA?

BTW my ATA from Vonage is a Cisco 186

Thanks
SecureTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:27 PM   #315
pigvig
TiVo Underling

Depending on how you have it configured in your network, you can access a configuration web page.

I just emailed Vonage support and they told me mine was not up-to-date.

connected!
Old 08-18-2004, 04:53 PM   #316
aristoBrat

Is your Vonage box in-front or behind your router?

I'm wondering if they can push an ATA update to a box behind a router... Hmmmmm
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:09 AM   #317
SecureTalk

My Cisco ATA 186 is behind a Cisco 1710 security router. Vonage wanted to sell me a router, but I opted to use my existing router. Vonage was promoting a Netgear router.

I'll contact Vonage to see if there is a way to access the ATA.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:41 AM   #318
F18fxr
RETIRED US NAVY

Quote:
Originally posted by tbeckner
Agreed, but at the end of last week a few people started reporting that with the installation of the new firmware, version 17, and a change in the packetization rate to 10ms, from the standard 20ms, that they had no problems getting their Series 2 DriecTivo's, including the Hughes HDVR2 from making trouble free calls. This has been reported on numerous sites. I am not saying that it is true, I haven't tried it myself.
I got the upgrade today and lowered my pack rate to 10ms. I'm able to fully dial now, but it still fails to negotiate. Any more suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by F18fxr : 08-19-2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:50 PM   #319
slideways

This may be off topic to the thread at hand. But can you run the Vonage line back through the main phone lines in the house?
here's why I ask: my computer is in one room and my DTIVO (Philips) is on the other side of the house. So I'm wondering if I run the vonage back through the house phone lines if that would work?

slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:10 PM   #320
lairc
I need FOLDERS!!!!

Yes you can.

michigantelephone.mi.org/distribute.html
lairc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:28 PM   #321
ibleedblue

Just make 110% sure that the lines are NOT connected to the phone company's lines still. If they are still connected and the line rings, it will fry the ATA. The best way is to disconnect the little RJ11 jack in the phone box where it mounts outside the house. That's what I've done and I backfed every line in my house to the Vonage ATA.
ibleedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 05:52 PM   #322
lairc
I need FOLDERS!!!!

I even went so far as to remove said RJ11 jack from the network interface box.
lairc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:32 PM   #323
F18fxr
RETIRED US NAVY

Anyone else having luck with dialing straight through with the v17 upgrade??
Old 08-20-2004, 01:24 AM   #324
GDN

Sorry to hear of the problems different folks are having. Don't want to rub this in (in fact - knock on wood) but I've never seen anything much easier than getting Vonage installed and working.

I'm a new Vonage customer - about a month now - the service is great and my Directivos dial and work great through the system.

I don't know for sure - but equipment/hardware may have something to do with this. I know Vonage no longer ships the Cisco ATA (at least that is what I've read - maybe it just didn't have the quality for modem calls) - I've got a Motorola VT1005 running v17 of the firmware. You can connect to the "PC" side of the VT1005 with a PC running DHCP and then http:\\192.168.102.1 and see the status page - click on help - you'll see the version number. You can do this from the "WAN" side.

To further clarify - my Moto is behind a Linksys WRT54G running the latest version of their firmware (actually the modified HyperWRT). I'm using QOS in the router to dedicate some bandwidth to the Moto box and I use 90kb on the "Bandwidth Saver" option in Vonage.

I'll attach a drawing that I did for a friend of my wiring. It's basic - but lays it all out - I looked forever for something that showed all the connections when I first started this and couldn't find it. When you are learning or just starting out - it can be confusing - once you follow it through and see it all together - it's rather simple.

As others mention - I've disconnected SBC from the premise box outside - and the connection you see from Vonage (after it passes through my Brinks alarm) is plugged into one of my normal existing house outlets. I then have my new Vonage phone available and working at all of my existing outlets.

The alarm - was the biggest issue I had - it used to connect out at the premise box - I couldn't get that to seize the line - so I did rewire that portion in the RJ31X box after some research and much trial and error and testing.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:28 AM   #325
GDN

The attachment didn't show up with that last post - here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg voipalarmwiring.jpg (59.2 KB, 302 views)
Old 08-20-2004, 10:21 AM   #326
The Bird

Alarm systems generally have low speed modems so vonage should work fine with them. The problem here is series 2 DIRECTV TiVo's have higher speed modems that cannot be slowed down.

Your diagram does not show a DVR nor do you say what type of DVR you have.

RJ31x wiring, incoming line to pins 4&5 and house wiring to pins 1&8 then the alarm system plugs into the modular jack. House phones should work with both the alarm system plugged into the jack and not plugged into the jack.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:02 AM   #327
GDN

You are right on the RJ31X wiring - I've got a picture of it with the cover off - can post it later if anyone is interested - don't have it at work with me. I mentioned Directivos - specifically - both of mine are Samsung 40hr. I didn't put the DirecTivo's on the diagram because they are simply other devices that plug into the house wiring once I get the Vonage signal to it. Maybe it would make sense if they were on there - but didn't think much of it - since the real problems seem to be with the way people get the Vonage signal to the house wiring. Will work on an update this weekend and post the picture which you described for us - that is what is going on inside of the RJ31X.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:13 PM   #328
F18fxr
RETIRED US NAVY

SUCESS....

After much work I was able to get my oldest TiVo to make a test and daily call, it is now updated.

My newest TiVo is still struggling to download the latest software. It has never made a phone call until now. The longest it was connected was about 30 minutes, I have to keep forcing a call.

I got Vonage to upgrade to v17, packetization of 10ms. For a while it worked with no prefix, but then I hit a wall and it would not work. So I added the ,#401 prefix and it now works. I have to use an adsl filter though, otherwise it wouldn't connect.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:19 PM   #329
SecureTalk

Quote:
Originally posted by F18fxr
SUCESS....

I got Vonage to upgrade to v17, packetization of 10ms.
What brand ATA did Vonage give you? My Vonage service came with a Cisco ATA 186.

How can you determine the version of the software?

Thanks
Old 08-23-2004, 09:56 AM   #330
F18fxr
RETIRED US NAVY

Quote:
Originally posted by SecureTalk
What brand ATA did Vonage give you? My Vonage service came with a Cisco ATA 186.

How can you determine the version of the software?

Thanks
Originally posted by ibleedblue
Plug your ethernet cable from the NIC to the PC port on the moto box. You need to bypass the router (leave the moto box hooked to router) 192.168.102.1 is the IP addy for the moto box. This will get you into the ATA setup. You should be able to find the software version from there. Can't be more specific because I'm at work and the ATA is at home.