TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2004, 04:18 PM   #61
AtlCub

Well I got my TurboNet/CacheCard in my series 1, got it on the wired network, and it too won't connect. The test call works, just like the Series2, but a real call gets part way thru, then hangs, then eventually comes back failed.

Being hardwired that eliminates my wifi network, so it must be my Netgear FVS318. I've even tried setting the DMZ port to the IP of the Tivo, still got same thing, so now I'm really stumped unless the dmz setting somehow just didn't take.

I tried the web sites to see if I'm behind a caching server, I am not.

My only other hardware is my Alcatel 1000 DSL modem, straight to bellsouth.

Does anyone know of MTU comes into play here ? As a kludge with the Alcatel 1000's, there is a malformed packet issue with them, that is corrected if you put a dumb plain ole 10mb hub inbetween the Alcatel and the FVS318, it fixes the problem. I was told it was either a packet header issue, or an MTU issue.

But why would the test call connect, configure, set clock, and hang up cleanly, then the daily call would not. ??

So all this effort is worthless to me for daily calls.

Sure I love ripping the 190hours of video off my Series1 tho

And HomeNetworking option is a waste, everytime it tries to get a directory from my mp3 server (win2000 Server), it tries for a while, then bombs and never finds the server again on the list of Tivo Servers.

What a great use of money.
AtlCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:46 PM   #62
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AtlCub
Does anyone know of MTU comes into play here ?
It's not supposed to, but it can with bad equipment or improper configuration.

The reason MTU can affect real calls and not test calls is because big chunks of data are downloaded in the real calls.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:27 PM   #63
rosemaryil

Need Wireless Setup Help

Warning up Front: I'm a wireless novice!

I just got a Series 2 TIVO DVR and I was hoping to hook it up through my current wireless network. Not sure that this is possible with my current equipment. I have a D-Link 802.11g Wireless Router (model DI-524) which does not have any USB ports, only LAN "ports". Is it possible to get a USB adapter and so "convert" a LAN port on the router so I can use it with my DVR?

Since I don't have a phone line close to the DVR, and if the USB adapter idea doesn't work for my wireless router, my next option is a wireless modem jack. Does any know how far away you can have the base unit (unit you plug the phone line into) from the extension unit (unit that plugs into the AC outlet and into which you plug the DVR)? The phone outlet I'd need to use is in another room..

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!
rosemaryil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:46 PM   #64
bedelman
Call me Bob

First -- if you want to connect your TiVo DVR to a network, you'll need to get the appropriate adapter. The officially supported adapters can be found at www.tivo.com/adapters

The adapter goes into the USB port on the TiVo -- you would not connect the USB port of your TiVo to anything other than one of these adapters

Second -- To use some of the newer adapters, you might need a software update. If your TiVo is brand new, the initial guided setup is really only done with a phone line (although TiVo does give you a 50 foot phone cord). Any software update will come down on the phone call that is made after guided setup is complete.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:33 PM   #65
frobey

Well, I must say, that getting a wireless adapter to work properly on a Tivo has not been a very fun experience...first I bought a Linksys WUSB11 that wasn't a V2.6 or V2.8. I returned it and bought an SMC 2662W that apparently isn't a v.2 since my Tivo doesn't recognize it. I have 4.01b on my Series2 so I don't think that's the problem.

I'm just curious if there are any plans to allow customers to go out and force a software upgrade and allow them to select the adapter they have (just like you can do with a PC right now?) It's much too difficult to try to find the right version of an adapter that is supposed to work in this Tivo, especially if you try to buy things off the Internet.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Frank
frobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:19 AM   #66
JS N New Orleans

What About Cell Phones?

Can anyone tell me if there is an adapter for the Hughes dual Direct TV box so that I can do my daily calls via a Cell Phone? I have had it set up for about a year via phone line, but if there is a way to use my cell phone that would be great.

Thanks!!
JS N New Orleans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:17 PM   #67
gmh

I'll have to agree with frobey, connecting through wireless is surprisingly frustrating.

I purchased a 40hr Series 2 last weekend ($50 rebate, whoohoo!). It's been amazingly easy to set up, except for when I tried to connect to my wireless network. I bought a D-Link DWL-122, and have an Apple Airport (regular ol' Airport, not Airport Extreme) conencted to SBC DSL through a Speedstream modem. When I go through the wireless setup, the tivo sees the network, but is never able to connect to it (it gives me something like "couldn't locate network" after trying to set it up). The status screen shows the network name, but says there is no signal (the adapter is about 2 inches from the base station, so I don't think signal strength is the real problem). The IP address area is also blank.

After searching through the forums here I thought it might be the Hex/Password problem. I found the hex version of the password in the Airport setup utility, but no go. I tried disabling WEP but got the same problem. The odd thing is, I was able to connect to a neighbor's unprotected network and everything worked fine, which makes me suspect it's either the Airport or the DSL. I don't have any special setup on the Airport, just the normal password protection. Is there some trick to getting it to connect to an Airport? Was the DWL-122 just a bad choice? Any other suggestions?

thanks!

Graham
gmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:48 PM   #68
bedelman
Call me Bob

Check to see if you have any entries in the Access List on your ABS. If you do, you'll need to add the MAC address for the adapter connected to the TiVo.

Note that I use a "regular ol' Airport" base station as well. FWIW -- it has a lot better range than the NetGear wireless router that I have in the same room.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
Old 06-23-2004, 02:18 PM   #69
gmh

Hmm, no, the Access Control list is empty.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:06 PM   #70
bedelman
Call me Bob

When was the last time you re-booted your ABS? If it's been a while, you might want to give it a shot. Also make sure that it's set to dole out enough IP addresses for your network (via DHCP). Another approach you might want to take is to use a static IP address for the TiVo -- which should be outside the DHCP range on the ABS

Old 06-23-2004, 10:02 PM   #71
gmh

I rebooted the base station a bunch of times while trying different settings. That's actually the one problem I've had with my Airport. Every couple of weeks it just kind of gets stuck and I have to restart the base station and the DSL modem to get it to work again. Otherwise it's been great.

I had the base station set to "Share a single IP address (using DHCP and NAT)." Is that wrong? When I try to change it to "Share a range of IP addresses (using only DHCP)" and try to upload it gives me a sheet saying "Sharing a range of DHCP addresses requires the base station to be configured using Ethernet and static IP addresses."
Does that mean I have to use an ethernet cable to upload the changes?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:02 AM   #72
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by gmh
Does that mean I have to use an ethernet cable to upload the changes?
I don't know, but I can describe how mine is configured and I do manage it via either a wired or wireless connection.

My ABS is connected to a LinkSys 4-port cable/dsl router which is what connects to my ISP. That LinkSys router's IP address is 10.0.1.254. The IP address of my ABS is 10.0.1.1

In "Show all settings"...

Internet Tab --
     Connect using: Ethernet
     Configure TCP/IP using Ethernet section
       Configure: Manually
       IP address: 10.0.1.1
       Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
       Router address: 10.0.1.254
       DNS servers: (two IP address for the DNS at my ISP)

Network Tab --
     Distribute IP addresses is checked
     Share a range of IP addresses (using only DHCP)
       Beginning: 10.0.1.2
       Ending: 10.0.1.50
       DHCP lease: 365 days
     Enable DHCP server on Ethernet is unchecked

Old 06-24-2004, 11:32 AM   #73
gmh

Ah, "configured using ethernet" must have meant the I had to choose "Connect using: Ethernet" under the internet tab. Once I did that it didn't give me that warning sheet. Unfortunately after I made that change I couldn't connect to the internet.

Oh well. I'll try again tonight to make sure I did everything right (I hadn't yet had my coffee when I tried it this morning).

I really appreciate your help though, Bob.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:52 PM   #74
bedelman
Call me Bob

One big difference we might have from one another is that my ABS doesn't connect to my ISP directly. It only connects to the LinkSys 4-port Cable/DSL router. It is the LinkSys that actually handles the connection to the Internet.

Old 06-24-2004, 01:00 PM   #75
gmh

Yeah, my base station is just connected to the cheap modem they gave me when I signed up.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:12 PM   #76
bedelman
Call me Bob

Do you know if it uses PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) or just a regular Ethernet connection? Depending on which it is determines how you need to have the setting under the Internet tab configured.

With PPPoE you'll need to provide your account name and password as well as put in the values for the DNS servers and Domain name (these come from your ISP).

With just Ethernet, you should have it set to configure itself using DHCP. Again you should put in the DNS servers and Domain name that come from your ISP

It's very important that you have the Enable DHCP server on Ethernet unchecked in the Network tab. The ABS you have only has a single Ethernet port and you could end up pushing DHCP services back to your ISP -- and they won't be happy with you. They should be blocking this so it doesn't happen, but they may not be doing so.

(They still talk about me at my ISP and how my little old ABS took down a major client of theirs about two years ago -- part of the reason why I have a LinkSys 4-port Cable/DSL router on my network now)

BTW -- back to your original post, do you have a space in your wireless network's name? Is it an open or closed network? The wireless network name is case-sensitive (which you need to key in if your network is "closed") and spaces cause trouble with some devices.

Last edited by bedelman : 06-24-2004 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:35 PM   #77
gmh

Quote:
Do you know if it uses PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) or just a regular Ethernet connection?
I don't really know. All of the setup things I've found on SBC's support site say to use PPPoE.

I think I may have let it configure automatically when I tried changing the "connect using" option to ethernet this morning. I'll go back through and try it manually.

Quote:
They still talk about me at my ISP and how my little old ABS took down a major client of theirs about two years ago -- part of the reason why I have a LinkSys 4-port Cable/DSL router on my network now)
Sweet. Show them who's boss.

I tried turning on "Enable DHCP server on Ethernet" just to see if it changed anything, but it didn't, so I turned it back off.

Quote:
do you have a space in your wireless network's name? Is it an open or closed network?
It's an open network, and it shows up in the Tivo's network list, but it does have spaces in the name (My network's name is "radio waves go right through you"). I'll try changing it to one word.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:18 PM   #78
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by gmh
(My network's name is "radio waves go right through you"). I'll try changing it to one word.
That's an awfully long SSID -- I've heard that some of the USB wireless adapters can't handle a SSID that long. I think odds are pretty good that that's the problem.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:37 PM   #79
gmh

Huzzah! Eurkea! Whoo Hoo!

Yeah, yeah, I just renamed it "inductioncoil" and it works! I knew it was going to be something absurdly simple.

Remember that kids, don't try to be clever and name your base station like you're writing War and Peace.

Thanks so much Bob, you rock.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:23 AM   #80
matguy

Just wanted to let people with early Series 2 Tivos (specifically the infamous 60 hour) know that I plugged in a Dell TrueMobile 1700 USB Wireless B addapter and it picked it right up. The Tivo pages list that as working with the newer (Service tag starting with 2) models, but it seems to work just fine with the early ones too.

On the bonus side of the addapters, they're good looking and cheap on Ebay.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:05 AM   #81
matguy

More on the TrueMobile: I finally got my second Tivo going, and the TrueMobile adapter is working great. Medium quality shows (what we record about everything in) come through at roughly 1.5x speed. From about 35 feet, with 3 walls and a refrigerator in the way, we get "good" %57 signal. The other Tivo is hard wired with a Linksys USB100M adapter.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:10 PM   #82
JennaEG

Hi. I recently purchased a TiVo series2 80 hour. I have no idea whether it is 4.0 or if that matters.
I am trying to hook it up through my internet. I have no land line. Is there anyway to do the initial guided setup throught the internet, or do I have to do this at someone else's home?
I am very frustrated and I really want my TiVO to work, but I have just about had enough of it. I have tried the ,#401 and I have switched the cords, reset the internet, nothing seems to work. I have a Liknsys Wireless G router and A Linksys USB100M (?) adaptor.
I am not very tech savvy so any suggestion would be appreciated if described in baby steps. I am capable but need some detailed explanantion about how to go about doing things.

PLEASE HELP!

JennaEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:30 AM   #83
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JennaEG
I have a Liknsys Wireless G router and A Linksys USB100M (?) adaptor.
For initial guided setup, you must have the router set to be a DHCP server (but the manual probably won't use that phrase and will call it something else), which is likely the default behavior. Furthermore, you must be sure the primary DNS server broadcast from your DHCP server (which in turn is likely fetched from your ISP) is working.

TiVo

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:09 PM   #84
bedelman
Call me Bob

Make sure you're not setting this up as a "peer to peer" networking option on the TiVo -- that's only used for connecting two TiVo units together without a network that's already in place.

Also really long SSID values will cause trouble sometimes.

Do you have any wireless security enabled such as WEP? What are you using as your wireless access point or router?

Old 08-11-2004, 05:48 PM   #85
mangler103

Quote:
Originally posted by JennaEG
Hi. I recently purchased a TiVo series2 80 hour. I have no idea whether it is 4.0 or if that matters.
I am trying to hook it up through my internet. I have no land line. Is there anyway to do the initial guided setup throught the internet, or do I have to do this at someone else's home?
I am very frustrated and I really want my TiVO to work, but I have just about had enough of it. I have tried the ,#401 and I have switched the cords, reset the internet, nothing seems to work. I have a Liknsys Wireless G router and A Linksys USB100M (?) adaptor.
I am not very tech savvy so any suggestion would be appreciated if described in baby steps. I am capable but need some detailed explanantion about how to go about doing things.

PLEASE HELP!
Jenna
Do you have the new silver Tivo? (Model TCD5400***) I ask because I can't force my Tivo to use broadband for guided setup on my new one either.

I'm planning on taking mine to a friends house who has a landline if I can't get it to work.
mangler103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:43 PM   #86
jeff_hanna

Help, please

I have a new (refurb) 40 hr black TiVo that has gone through the initial setup and has software 4.01b installed. It is on my wireless network via a Linksys WUSB11 (v2.8).

My router sees it, recognizes that it has the correct SSID name (3 chars), and no WEP encryption. The DHCP server has issued it a valid IP address. The TiVo shows a signal strength of 70% (excellent) and shows the IP address that the DHCP server has issued it. The TiVo is set to use the network for it's communications.

Yet, I can not complete a call with it. When I try the system cleans up, attempts to "dial", and then tells me "(Failed. Unknown Error.)"

Additionally, it can not see any PC on the network with the TiVo Desktop installed and those PCs can not see the TiVO on the network as a valid access point.

It all works if I hardwire the TiVO into the router with a Linksys USB200M, but that's not optimal as the router and the TV are on seperate floors. I am at a complete loss as to why everything looks good for a wireless connection, yet an error is generated and it fails. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by jeff_hanna : 08-11-2004 at 11:56 PM.
jeff_hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:26 AM   #87
Callipygian1

You people had me all scared! It ended up being a breeze getting set up on wireless, though it took more time just waiting on downloads than I anticipated. I'm really glad I researched this prior to buying, though, to ensure that I had the right wireless access... thingie. The most complicated piece of information I had to supply was the password typed on the bottom of my SBC 2Wire wireless... other thingie.

Hope the rest of my experience is as smooth.
Callipygian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:29 PM   #88
loco_ped

I have a Tivo Series 2 240 model DVR, my question is everytime I go down to Settings/ Phone/Network settings I see the edit phone option but not the edit network settings. I have a D-Link DWL-120 not plus but I noticed the model is V.F1, when I plug it in I don't get any option to update the firemware or even that it is installed. I don't have a phoneline near my Tivo so I had to disconnect it and move it to a different room so that I could connect. Now my question is Now that it has connected and downloaded what ever it is that it downloaded, how long will I have to wait to see if it fixed anything, or more importantly is this model Wireless adapter compatible?
loco_ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:03 PM   #89
jeff_hanna

Loco_ped,

A Series 2 is definately wireless compatible. The 240 series can actually use more adapters (notably the Linksys WUSB 12) than other series 2.

Check your TiVO software version # in the settings menu. If it still shows 4.01 you might need to power down your TiVO and reboot it. Any new software update that is downloaded will not become available until after the TiVO reboots.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:05 PM   #90
jeff_hanna

I fixed my "(Failure. Unknown Error.)" problem. I have a D-Link AirPlus router that does some funky 22Mb mode with compatible D-Link wireless cards. It is *supposed* to allow regular 11Mb connections for other devices. That doesn't seem to work properly, though. Once I set the router to only work in 11Mb mode the TiVO was able to dial out.

Now to try the HMO PC software.