TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-28-2004, 07:50 PM   #121
rp1688

a new satellite box code workaround posted ...

Hi:

I've posted a new satellite box code workaround posted here:

www-tivocommunity-com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=156230

... Credit goes to Gary Sargent @ www-tivoportal-co-uk
(sorry can't post a link yet, replace '-' with '.')

It's for a STB "Fortec Star". It's a satellite box which I use to receive FTA channels from T5 and AMC4.

Gary is very helpful on setting the new code to work. For new STB box owners - capture your code and send it to Gary, chances are he'll make it to work !

RP.
rp1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 06:52 PM   #122
Mike20878
Jake & Adam's dad

Quote:
Originally posted by VinceA
Found out today that the latest firmware pushed to Scientific Atlanta 4200 boxes by Cablevision added a new option that allows the box to be turned on when a channel change is sent to the box. This means that if the box powers down (on purpose or accidentally) it will power back up when the TiVo changes the channel. In the settings look for "setower on keys" and select "Power and Numeric". I tried it out here and it seems to work pretty well.
Oh, man, any chance this will be incorporated into the Motorola 6200?
Mike20878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:27 PM   #123
nicbeast

I have the Dish Network 322 Box. I was having a hard setting it up. I called Tivo and they said to use the Echostar Selection and use code 10001. It works kinda slow...does anyone else have a better idea?

Thanks!

P.S. Thanks for the help on the previous question!
Old 05-23-2004, 07:29 AM   #124
Sid2.0

IR Port Test

Is there a way to check the IR port with a meter? I did the cam test and i see no ir field from the 2 IR probes that come with the TiVo..I see IR from the remote.. I hooked the probes up to my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3200 IR port and nothing there too. So i was warending if the IR probes that came with the TiVO are bad or the TiVO IR port was bad.... I just got the TiVO yesterday and had truble setting up the chanal changing with the TIVO remote to the cable box.. It worked on code 18 fast and med after a hour of playing with the probes then it stoped then after 2 hours, got it to work again then it stoped again....Now i can not get it to work. There is no searil prot on this cable box so i cant do it that way....Please can anyone help me? Thank you for reading my rant....
Sid2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:09 AM   #125
ccwf
国際化 Member

I'm not aware of any confirmed cases of the IR port itself being bad, so most likely the IR emitter cable was damaged or is not plugged in all the way. Also, note that the IR from the emitters is faint, so you need to look carefully when checking with a camera.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 11:35 AM   #126
willmw
Former Tivo User

DRD435RH

Quote:
Originally posted by mohanram

I too am one of the new owners of the RCA model DRD435RH. I bought this unit, after the reading the posts here which said that any of the new RCA receivers would support serial control from a TiVo. Has anyone got this working? Is IR the only way to control this box ? I hope not.
After much hair pulling, I finally decided to try something that made the DRD435RH work with my Series 1 units. I had read here that the APG setting was a must, so I tried it exclusively with no luck...after a while I decided nothing was to be lost by trying the MPG setting...well it DEFINITELY DID NOT WORK...giving erratic results... BUT!!!! somehow it caused my receivers to realize that I was trying to get their attention and upon switching back to APG I have had flawless channel changes for 2 weeks now.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:57 PM   #127
gl9500

dish 322

Finally got fed up w/ comcast cable and got a dishnetwork 322 receiver a week ago.

After doing some reading here and a few other googled websites, it works great. Albeit w/ the necessary workaround to awaken the 322 after it's daily update.

But I have not yet seen the supposed "4-hour screensaver" some have mentioned. Perhaps that was a problem w/ earlier software versions, but does not appear to happen w/ mine (v157 if I read the sysinfo screen correctly). I was away most of the day a couple of days ago and my 322 never went into screensaver mode.

If it does happen to surface, I believe I have a perfect workaround: simply add a manual VCR timer on the 322 that starts, say, 30-60 minutes after the daily update, that lasts for 23 hours or so. That should take care any screensaver.

I use Echostar code 10001-Fast. Works flawlessly so far, except for when my SA Tivo (series 1 Phillips), does the FIRST channel change after the manual VCR timer (after AutoTune timers, my tivo changes fine). The first digit tivo sends via IR blaster seems to get eaten up by the dish 322. Simple workaround. Just add a manual daily 5min Tivo SeasonPass a couple of minutes after the VCR timer starts. Voila.

My tivo came w/ twin IR blaster "Y-cable". So I just attached both about one-inch away in front (to the left and right) of the 3 IR ports on the 322.

I have to add the 322 is a nice little dual-tuner receiver. From what info I've gathered, the daily update should only take a few seconds (or few minutes at most). The 322 needs to be in standby mode (both TV1 and TV2) to switch to the Sat channel to download guide data, then it leaves itself in standby mode (screensaver mode), which is why you need to add the manual 322 timer to "awaken" it for Tivo.

I also disable the front-panel (up/down) buttons via the 322 menus; which unfortunately does not disable the front-panel "power" button. So I use a 322 VCR timer (instead of AutoTune) just in case someone has hit the power off, having the Tivo manual 5-min daily SeasonPass, keeps the 322 out of standby mode after the daily update. However, if someone hits the power-off any other time and the Tivo wants to record, of course you're screwed.

Hope this is of use to someone.

[edit: I should have mentioned... Enter key: NO]

Last edited by gl9500 : 06-17-2004 at 04:45 PM.
gl9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:22 PM   #128
tyrob

Sony A65 and Home Control Cable

For anyone after me.... I just received my home control cable from Tivo and hooked it up to my Sony A65 receiver coming from a Sony SVR3000. Changed options and bingo - works like a charm. $6.99 + shipping well spent.
tyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:54 PM   #129
Britlion

We have two tivos, both on direcTV receivers.

Pioneer 57 onto a RCA DRD450RG I believe. This receiver has a low speed data port, but no option in the system setup to activate it. When plugged into the Tivo in MPG mode, the thing resets and gets guide data from the satellite again. In APG mode, it simply ignores it.

Same cable put between a pioneer 810 and an RCA DRD420RE box. Again this has no option to activate its low speed port. In MPG mode the receiver blanks the screen for a couple of seconds, and then comes right back to the same channel with no channel banner. In APG mode, it is ignored.

I noticed earlier that someone posted success with at least one of these boxes, and post #1 implies they both can work, though it's a little unclear. (Sorry ccwf; you're doing a sterling job here.)

Is there anything I'm missing here, or am I stuck with IR and losing a show or two each week?
Britlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:57 AM   #130
Rockin02

I have the Dish 322, It is not connected to a phone line, as my Tivo is connected to the phone line. I don't know if this is part of my problem, but I keep getting that dreaded screensaver, and I was never able to get a cod to work for the channel changing, although the tivo remote does seem to be changing channels for me, I just get that black screen with the dish network screensaver, that says press select to continue. I tried the workaround thing, but when I try to put a stop time for the auto tune, it doesn't give me that option. It gives me the option for a start time, but not an end time. I really want to be able to get this tivo to work with my dish network, but It's been almost 2 weeks now and no one has been able to help me. Dish says they know nothing about tivo, and can't help out, Tivo is more helpful, but nothing has worked that they have told me to do. Someone Please help. Thanks.
Rockin02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:48 PM   #131
mjpfeffer

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone who posted stuff about the Dish 322, I got mine up and running with my SA Series 2 with NO problems.

--Matt
mjpfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:55 PM   #132
opedog

Big Grin Motorola DCT6200

Here's a quick question. On the back of my Motorola DCT6200 is an IR outlet. I'm not sure what it does, but since the cable receiver itself doesn't have a serial input, I was wondering if this could be used to change the channels instead of the IR blaster (which I may have lost).

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks,

ope
opedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 12:02 AM   #133
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Motorola DCT6200

Quote:
Originally posted by opedog
On the back of my Motorola DCT6200 is an IR outlet. I'm not sure what it does, but since the cable receiver itself doesn't have a serial input, I was wondering if this could be used to change the channels instead of the IR blaster (which I may have lost).
Except in the rare cases noted in the main U.S. list at the start of this thread and in Gary's UK list, IR ports cannot be used to control a cable/satellite box. They are IR output ports, used to control a VCR. The same is true for some serial-like ports.

Now, there is one U.S. satellite box with an RF-input port and many UK boxes that take IrDA.

As for replacement IR emitters, for Motorola cable boxes, Xantech stick-on IR emitters are generally recommended over the type TiVo supplies. They can be bought on-line (see the main post) and from some specialty stores.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 07-30-2004, 04:01 PM   #134
crisis

Setting up Dish 322 with 2 Tivos

Just wondering if it's possible to set up 2 tivo's with the Dish 322 using the dual tuner. I have a series 2 and series 1 Tivo. Thanks!
crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #135
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Setting up Dish 322 with 2 Tivos

Quote:
Originally posted by crisis
Just wondering if it's possible to set up 2 tivo's with the Dish 322 using the dual tuner.
There are no reports of anyone having modified the RF remote controlled tuners to work with TiVo. That's not to say it might not be possible (see the link to instructions for how to modify older RF-only DISH receivers), but no one has reported trying it.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 07-30-2004, 10:39 PM   #136
crisis

Re: dish 322

Quote:
Originally posted by gl9500
Finally got fed up w/ comcast cable and got a dishnetwork 322 receiver a week ago.

[edit: I should have mentioned... Enter key: NO]
I, too, got fed up with Comcast, and ordered Dish Network. I received the Dish 322 dual tuner. I have two tivo units i want to use and was wondering if there's a way. I want my Series 2 tivo hooked up to TV1 and my Series 1 tivo hooked up to TV2. However, TV2 channels are controlled by a UHF remote. Is there an easy way I can get the tivo to control this?

I have my Series 2 set up fine, and followed the tips on keeping it out of Stand By mode (Thank you!) Now I just need to figure out how to get the series 1 to control the channels on TV2.

Is it possible? Or will I need to just get another receiver with IR in order for the Tivo to control the channels.

Thanks for your help.

Crisis

PS I did get the reply from ccwf at the end of this thread, but wasn't exactly sure where to go.

PPS. both Tivos are stand alone units.
crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 03:02 PM   #137
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: Re: dish 322

Quote:
Originally posted by crisis
I received the Dish 322 dual tuner. I have two tivo units i want to use and was wondering if there's a way. I want my Series 2 tivo hooked up to TV1 and my Series 1 tivo hooked up to TV2. However, TV2 channels are controlled by a UHF remote. Is there an easy way I can get the tivo to control this?
No, there's no easy way. I would just get an additional DISH receiver.

For those good with electronics and brave enough to attempt modifying, with a soldering iron, their DISH 322's to accept IR, see the IR upfit procedure. Note: The procedure is for older DISH receiversit might or might not work for the DISH 322.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 07-31-2004, 03:53 PM   #138
gl9500

I believe most (all?) 322's are under the DHA or "lease" plan, so probably not a good idea to mess w/ the hardware directly. BWDIK.

Sounds like a good idea to just get a 2nd 322 receiver. One could try finding an external UHF to IR converter, but then you'd have to make sure the IR codes the Tivo would feed it would be compatible.
gl9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:52 PM   #139
mkdawnt

Vortex

Any codes for cable box "Vortex View"?
mkdawnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:27 AM   #140
classicsat
Astute User

There are two versions of the Motorola DSR410, the current "DS" version (is a suffix), has a small indicator display in the upper left of the box (the IR sensor is to the riget of the clear display plastic). The older DNA version (actually Next-Level branded), is larger, and has a channel display in the middle.
Both work 100% (in my experience) with IR blasters. (note I don't have a DS version, but a DSR301, that is based on the same core design).

I also have a General Instruments DSR421CNM, which internally is based on the 410 DNA, but with the externally the smaller design of the 410DS and 470, although no panel buttons apart from power. The 421BNM has panel buttons. The 410 DNA, 421BNM and 401/405 have an input for a UHF receiver which MAY be able to be used for direct input from the IR jack, but I haven't tried.

The yet smaller DSR305 works too.

The DSR470 is based on the same core design as the DSR410DS.

All those Motorola/GI/Nextlevel receivers I have used use General Instruments 10035 Medium, with the remote address set to 000

I subscribe tothe Starchoice satellite service in Canada BTW, which is why I have, and know all about the Motorola satellite boxes.

Oh, and about the Next Level name and the RGxxxx boxes:
General Instuments began calling themselves that around the time they started digital cable and satellite (and their remote is sthe samt designt as one for some GI/NextLevel satellite boxes). Later NL changed their name back to GI, whoms sold out to Motorola. I m not sure exacly how NL fits into Motorola or GI otherwise.

Technologically, the RGxxxx units receive up to 3 channels of SD video over a DSL like phone connection, and connects to one TV at the box controlled by an IR connection, and two other sets over RF coax with UHF remotes.

Addition:
Got a brand new DSR315. Uses the same 10035 medium as the rest. IR receiver is between the satellite and mail indicator on the box.

Last edited by classicsat : 10-04-2004 at 10:14 AM.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 03:05 PM   #141
Rwood

For the record, I have a Motorola DTC-2524 on an Adelphia Cable system. It works great using the serial port with a TiVo Series 2.
Rwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 03:17 PM   #142
lajohn27
Fanboi.. So what?

I can double confirm that code 00093 works best for the Motorola DCT6208 HD PVR STB. The only problem I've encountered is the odd channel change seems to cause the TIVO to lock up - can't yet ascertain why.

John

As discussion progresses in any TCF thread where the thread resembles trolling from the first post; the likelihood of the original poster bringing up stock data nears 1.
lajohn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:30 AM   #143
ccwf
国際化 Member

Thanks for the info, classicsat, Rwood, and lajohn27. I've updated the list with your info.

classicsat, are you using TiVo's stock IR emitters, or are you using stick-on emitters? Also, with so much info, I slightly rerganized that section, cited some of the most vital stuff in the main post, and then included multiple links to your post for more info. If I've misread any of the info in your post, if you want me to include some specific language, or if you want me to create more entries for particular cable boxes you listed, just let me know.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 08-05-2004, 10:22 AM   #144
classicsat
Astute User

I am using an emitter I cobbled together from the PCB from an old remote with wires connected to the LED, and a headphone plug at the other end. The opposite end of the remote is stuck between the satellite receiver and the box above it (another satellite receiver, not involved with the Tivo), so that the emitter illuminates the IR sensor on the receiver.

EDIT: I should add I bent the LED backwards so it pints towards the box.

Another way to change the remote address is to simultaniously pressing the up and down arrow on the receiver, where a box in the upper right of the screen should come up with Ax, where x is the remote address. Press up or down to adjust it, and select to set it.

The boxes I gave were my experience, but it would be safe to say all 3xx/4xx Starchoice/Motorola/GI/NextLevel boxes (you can include the 401,405, and 421B in that list), will work fine, since they are all derivatives of each other, and run basically the same software.

alansh has the RGxxx boxes pretty well covered, I just opined on the origin of the brand name and the works of the box I heard about.

Last edited by classicsat : 08-06-2004 at 01:43 PM.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:07 PM   #145
nick2003

I just wanted to add that the 10011 medium code didnt work for my Dish 811 hd reciever but the 10011 fast code did work. Thanks
nick2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 04:30 PM   #146
dennya

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
I just wanted to let everybody know that our engineers put in some long hours to make us compatible with the newer versions of Philips' DSX5500 & 5540 models. IR codes 10064 & 10065 are now available but will only work properly if the Enter Key is set to "Yes".
I have one of these Philips DSX5500 boxes -- got it yesterday on a DirecTV install, but don't see those two codes listed under Philips.

My Tivo is a Series 1, running v3.0-01-1-000. Do I not have the codes since Tivo isn't updating software for us early supporters? Or is there a way to enter the codes manually?

Any help greatly appreciated!
dennya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:58 PM   #147
edmartin

My GAEBOA does not have a data port, I think you have a GCEBOA. My Toshiba SD-H400 cannot change my GAEBOA using the IR port. Can anyone get this to work?
Ed
edmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:06 AM   #148
dennya

Quote:
Originally posted by dennya
I have one of these Philips DSX5500 boxes -- got it yesterday on a DirecTV install, but don't see those two codes listed under Philips.
Just to post the solution I discovered myself in case anyone else is searching on the problem... The codes for the DSX5500 don't show up if you go into the Remote Configuration screen. But if you go through Guided Setup, they're there, and they work just great.
dennya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:44 PM   #149
edmartin

tsiehta,
My GAEBOA does not have a data port. My manual say the GCEBOA has a data port. Is that what you have?

Does anyone have a GAEBOA working with a Toshiba SD-H400? Mine doean't switch or select channels at all with the Tivo remote.
Ed
Old 08-18-2004, 12:59 PM   #150
edmartin

ccwf,
I don't think I got an RF remote cable with my SD-H400. Are you talking about the RF cable that brings in the video? Sorry I'm confused, I was thinking about switching channels on my GAEBOA, and it had to be the serial or IR port that does that. Please explain in more detail. I can't find any reference to GAEBOA in your list or first post.
Ed