TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2004, 08:59 AM   #1
keefer37

Series 2 TiVo with a Scientific Atlanta HD box?

I'm really tempted to get my parents a TiVo with the $50 AR offer at TiVo.com, but wanted to confirm that it would work with their cable box.

They're using Time Warner cable and have a Scientific Atlanta HDTV cable box. Obviously, it can't record the HD channels, but wondering if it would be able to control it ok.

TiVo Series 2 DT: Stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
keefer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:12 AM   #2
bkdtv

It should, so long as it is the SA 3250HD.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
markandjenn

I can confirm that my Series 1 TiVo works with my SA3250HD. It also worked with my SA8000 (not HD), but one would assume that it would work with the SA8000HD as well, but everyone knows what happens when you assume...
Series 2 (540) 227 Hours (Lifetime)
Series 1 HDR212 193 Hours - Unsubbed
markandjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:28 PM   #4
Stanley Rohner

You should be even more tempted to get your parents a DIRECTV/TiVo combo unit for $79 so they can get rid of that awful cableTV service.
Stanley Rohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:34 PM   #5
keefer37

I've always wanted them to go back to DirecTV. They had DirecTV at their old place and had bad reception when the trees were full in the spring/summer. They've never gotten that bad taste out of their mouth.

TiVo Series 2 DT: Stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
keefer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:49 PM   #6
Stanley Rohner

Sounds like the dish at the old place needed to be re-aligned or mounted in a different location. Get them a DIRECTV system for their new location. They'll luv you for it. They're no doubt paying way to much for the cabletv service they have now.

If they still don't want to switch to DIRECTV tell them they must be senile and that you'll put them in an old folks home.
Stanley Rohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:24 PM   #7
dirtypacman
Coming and going

Quote:
Originally posted by keefer37
I've always wanted them to go back to DirecTV. They had DirecTV at their old place and had bad reception when the trees were full in the spring/summer. They've never gotten that bad taste out of their mouth.
Though off subject-and ranting for no reason but--- Everybody I speak with tells me to go satellite.

I guess Im just a young fool they wont budge but I have tried dish at 3 locations and none have been acceptable.

People from this forum _no names mentioned_ just do not believe you can be happy with cable and not interested in sat. I guess its an on going debate (and well should be) but I have to say I have received over 150 post replies asking me to go satellite and then badgering me when I tell them its just not right for me.

Btw-- Tried satellite in Ipswich, MA- Haverhill, MA- Salem, MA
Friends have had it and got rid of it in Lexington, MA- Arlington, MA- Newburyport, MA

Must have been the installer though right..lol!
3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:48 PM   #8
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markandjenn
It also worked with my SA8000 (not HD), but one would assume that it would work with the SA8000HD as well, but everyone knows what happens when you assume...
Really? I thought some had posted that the SA8000 or SA8000HD didn't work with TiVo. If it does work, does it use the standard SA IR codes?

I would appreciate it if you would double-check and post to the Cable/Satellite Box Compatibility & Codes List with a definitive answer on whether or not TiVo works with the SA8000.

Thanks!

TiVo

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 04:50 PM   #9
bkdtv

The SA8000HD doesn't output through both HD and SD outputs simultaneously. You've have to disable the HD output to use it with the Tivo.

Even in SD (480i) only mode, the SA8000HD doesn't output a 480i signal to s-video and composite in some versions of the software. It will always output these signals to component, though, so worst case, you buy some sort of 480i component -> s-video converter.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:58 PM   #10
markandjenn

Charles,

I did indeed have the SA8000 and it did work. I returned it when the SA3250HD became available. I will, however, be returning the 3250HD for the 8000, as my TV does a bad job at decoding HD signals (it was a first generation HDTV-capable TV).
Series 2 (540) 227 Hours (Lifetime)
Series 1 HDR212 193 Hours - Unsubbed
markandjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:02 PM   #11
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

I would think that the problem with the SA8000 is if it ends up in a screen that can not be cleared by a simple channel screen. This is more likely to happen if you are using the box's DVR functions.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:45 PM   #12
ccwf
国際化 Member

Thanks for all the SA8000 info. I've added that info (with credits) to the compatibility list. I would still like to get the IR code if someone can figure it out.

Thanks again.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 07-22-2004, 06:29 AM   #13
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally posted by ccwf
Thanks for all the SA8000 info. I've added that info (with credits) to the compatibility list. I would still like to get the IR code if someone can figure it out.

Thanks again.
Has anyone successfully used the IR Blasters with a SA 4200HD?

Has anyone tried to simutaneously use the component outputs with the S-Video output?

Is the serial port on the back of the unit only for use with SA "blasters"?

Thanks
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 05:16 PM   #14
angel35

You can not use s-Video or compose output on 8000HD only the compnent works. This is from Time Warner in New York city.I tried all kind of ways to get TIVO to work.I could not do it

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:29 AM   #15
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally posted by angel35
You can not use s-Video or compose output on 8000HD only the compnent works. This is from Time Warner in New York city.I tried all kind of ways to get TIVO to work.I could not do it
No clue about your particular cable operator / box / software version ... but this is certainly not accurate for all 8000HDs.

On my 8000HD, and on most versions of the SARA software ... specifically v.1.83.4.a8 (Cox, Fairfax) ... there's an 'SD Mode' which fully enables SVideo, composite, and coax all the time. All content, all functionality, etc. are all available. Fully usable with Tivo ...

1. Make sure cabling is hooked up appropriately. Run component to your TV. Run SVideo (if you've got it), composite, or coax to the TV/Tivo. Don't use composite from the 'Out to VCR' outputs ... use the standard 'Out to TV' composite outputs (which is actually one of the component connectors so that probably won't be usefull in this example).

To switch to 'SD Mode':
1. Turn on TV/Tivo
2. Make sure TV/Tivo is on the correct input (SVideo, composite, or Ch. 3 if using coax)
3. Tun off 8000HD
4. Press Guide and Info at the same time on the box.
5. Note - if you've got your TV on the component input, you'll see a message box with something to the effect of "Currently in HD Mode, press [A] to continue" ... don't press anything (but switch TV/Tivo to appropriate input ... SVideo, composite, or Ch. 3).
5. Wait ...
6. Wait ...
7. You'll eventually see a message (on the TV/Tivo) "Currently in SD Mode, press [A] to continue".
8. Press [A] to use 'SD Mode'
9. If you've got your TV on component input, the display will be black/white/fuzzy. This is normal because the top composite output will be active.
10. Turn box on ... you're good to go. SVideo, composite, and coax will all always be active. It's just like running a normal SciAtl 8000 (SD).

To switch to back to 'HD Mode':
1. Turn on TV/Tivo
2. Make sure TV is on the correct input (component)
3. Turn off 8000HD
5. Note - You'll see a message box with something to the effect of "Currently in SD Mode, press [A] to continue" ... don't press anything. On component input the message will be black/white/fuzzy. On SVideo, composite, or coax ... the message will be clear.
6. Don't press anything yet
7. Wait ...
8. Wait ...
9. You'll eventually see a clear message (via component) "Currently in HD Mode, press [A] to continue". Via SVideo, composite, or coax ... you wouldn't see anything.
10. Press [A] to use 'HD Mode'

You're now in the 'HDTV Setup Wizard' (which you can exit out of ... press exit or turn box on). But ... it's good to know and described here (with several errors / ommissions / things not applicable to your software):
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/exp...d/4003114B.pdf

11. Turn box on ... you're good to go

Notes:
1. Exact details may vary with exact software / version. I've heard later versions of SARA have potentially 'disabled' the wizard used above ... but I can only confirm the software I have. No clue if this works with Passport.

2. There's also feedback on the front panel LED which would allow you to switch modes w/o looking at the screen. I forget exactly what it is (I think 'HD' and 'SD) ... but ... you may want to make a note of that if you're going to do this often.

3. I think there's a shorter way of doing this using a specific combination of buttons on the front of the box ... but I forget the details at the moment.

4. When in 'HD Mode', SVideo, Coax output, and the 'Out To VCR' composite outputs are active when using PIP and 'Save To VCR'. For some this isn't helpfull (can't ff/rw/list/etc ... wouldn't work well with Tivo) ... but it's good to know. For example, it'd be a way to dump a show to a Tivo (in the background) while watching something else on the 8000HD. An HD source + TivoToGo ... you could actually make some pretty good-looking DVDs.

5. 'SD Mode' is DIFFERENT from being in 'HD Mode' with output format set to 480i. In 'SD mode' ... SVideo, composite, and coax are always active. In 'HD Mode' at 480i ... component is output at 480i ... but SVideo, composite, and coax are NOT active.
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:22 PM   #16
ehagberg

Quote:
Originally posted by dt_dc

5. 'SD Mode' is DIFFERENT from being in 'HD Mode' with output format set to 480i. In 'SD mode' ... SVideo, composite, and coax are always active. In 'HD Mode' at 480i ... component is output at 480i ... but SVideo, composite, and coax are NOT active.
But this does mean that you have to manually set your box back to HD mode in order to record an HD show, right? Or can you have the box in SD mode - so that Tivo can record from Svideo or composite - and still record HD versions of shows, for viewing later?

As far as I can tell, this setup is a step backwards from what the 3100HD (non DVR) does - all outputs are active, except when an HD channel is selected... then the SD outputs go blank. It looks like the 8300HD DVR also does this, but the 8000HD doesn't.

Bummer.

I was told today that only the 8000HD is available from TWC in NYC.
ehagberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 01:22 PM   #17
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally posted by ehagberg
But this does mean that you have to manually set your box back to HD mode in order to record an HD show, right?
No. The 8000HD will happily record HD content when in 'SD Mode'. It will even play it back (and output) HD content ... in SD over the regular outputs. You just need to be in 'HD Mode' to actually watch HD content ... in HD.
Quote:
Or can you have the box in SD mode - so that Tivo can record from Svideo or composite - and still record HD versions of shows, for viewing later?
Exactly.
Quote:
As far as I can tell, this setup is a step backwards from what the 3100HD (non DVR) does - all outputs are active, except when an HD channel is selected... then the SD outputs go blank.
They're each goofy in their own ways. I also don't like how the 3100HD is locked in to 1080i via component ... or the lack of DVI. The 3250HD (with appropriate software) fixes many of these issues ...

Personally, I've hooked my SA Tivo up via coax and use it only for analog channels. That's what works best for me. But I did want to point out that is is POSSIBLE to use a Tivo with an 8000HD ... and what's required to do so.

As always ... exact software / version / cable system / etc. can lead to different results. I'm on Cox Fairfax SARA 1.83.4.a8.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:29 PM   #18
mattboom

One thing no one is talking about is the fact that the SA8000 turns itself off every night. It has an power save feature that turns it off at 1 a.m. each night and it stays off until you turn it back on.
If it's off, the Tivo can't change the channel or turn the box on, so that means a lot of missed shows.

Matt
mattboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:27 PM   #19
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally posted by mattboom
One thing no one is talking about is the fact that the SA8000 turns itself off every night.
Good point.

v 1.83.4.a8 was the first software version I had with this "feature". Previous versions didn't do this. Hadn't thought about what this would cause.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:33 PM   #20
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Good point.

v 1.83.4.a8 was the first software version I had with this "feature". Previous versions didn't do this. Hadn't thought about what this would cause.
Thanks for this news. This certainly wasn't the case before; else we would have seen posts about it.

If this problem is affecting all SA8000 owners now, please post here to let me know. If the problem is indeed widespread, I'll add a warning to the SA8000 entry in the Cable/Satellite Box Compatibility & Codes List.

There's no way to turn off this "feature", I take it? What if you schedule the SA8000 to make a recording at 1am?

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-29-2004, 11:37 PM   #21
ehagberg

Is there no way to make the SA8000 turn itself back on at a predefined time (like at 1:01am)? Even the SA2000 has that functionality.
ehagberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:39 PM   #22
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Is there no way to make the SA8000 turn itself back on at a predefined time (like at 1:01am)? Even the SA2000 has that functionality.
Good point, ehagberg. The SA3100 and SA3000 and can turn themselves on once a day, too.

Also, the newer firmware on some Scientific Atlanta Explorer boxes lets you set an option that tells the box to turn on when it gets a channel change. Set it if you have that option.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-29-2004, 11:57 PM   #23
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

The Auto-shutoff is on all SciAtl DVRs (8000, 8000HD, 8300, 8300HD, etc) running SARA after a certain software version. Don't know the exact version ... but I seem to remeber it first getting rolled out / mentioned in May / June.

The Auto-shutoff is for a certain time-frame ... 1:00 AM - 5:00 AM (or something like that ... maybe 6:00 AM). The box will turn off after a certain period of time with no activity.

So, you could set a "wake-up" timer (the DVRs have this standard SARA feature) for 1:01 AM ... but that won't do any good because after a certain period of inactivity ... the box will turn off.

The SciAtl DVRs still record even when they're "off" (just like Tivo) ... they just don't output any video (just like Tivo).

Yes, the "turn on for channel change" would probably fix this ... don't have that feature with my software.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:52 PM   #24
sc2nc

Quote:
Originally posted by markandjenn
I can confirm that my Series 1 TiVo works with my SA3250HD. It also worked with my SA8000 (not HD), but one would assume that it would work with the SA8000HD as well, but everyone knows what happens when you assume...
Just browsing, and I don't know how old this thread is, but had to answer. I was disappointed to find out that all of the really neat outputs on the SA 8000HD (S-video, "VCR archive," digital audio) except the Component Video and L/R audio are not functional at this time. No "off loading." Get the DVR version of the SA box, and watch it while you can.
sc2nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:13 PM   #25
goony

Quote:
Originally posted by mahermusic
Yes, so they can go with the even worse directTV that craps out every time it rains.
My DirecTV doesn't do this... perhaps someone allowed children or a drunkard to install their DirecTV.
goony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:21 PM   #26
angel35

Quote:
No clue about your particular cable operator / box / software version ... but this is certainly not accurate for all 8000HDs.

On my 8000HD, and on most versions of the SARA software ... specifically v.1.83.4.a8 (Cox, Fairfax) ... there's an 'SD Mode' which fully enables SVideo, composite, and coax all the time. All content, all functionality, etc. are all available. Fully usable with Tivo ...

1. Make sure cabling is hooked up appropriately. Run component to your TV. Run SVideo (if you've got it), composite, or coax to the TV/Tivo. Don't use composite from the 'Out to VCR' outputs ... use the standard 'Out to TV' composite outputs (which is actually one of the component connectors so that probably won't be usefull in this example).

To switch to 'SD Mode':
1. Turn on TV/Tivo
2. Make sure TV/Tivo is on the correct input (SVideo, composite, or Ch. 3 if using coax)
3. Tun off 8000HD
5. Note - if you've got your TV on the component input, you'll see a message box with something to the effect of "Currently in HD Mode, press [A] to continue" ... don't press anything (but switch TV/Tivo to appropriate input ... SVideo, composite, or Ch. 3).
5. Wait ...
6. Wait ...
7. You'll eventually see a message (on the TV/Tivo) "Currently in SD Mode, press [A] to continue".
8. Press [A] to use 'SD Mode'
9. If you've got your TV on component input, the display will be black/white/fuzzy. This is normal because the top composite output will be active.
10. Turn box on ... you're good to go. SVideo, composite, and coax will all always be active. It's just like running a normal SciAtl 8000 (SD).

To switch to back to 'HD Mode':
1. Turn on TV/Tivo
2. Make sure TV is on the correct input (component)
3. Turn off 8000HD
5. Note - You'll see a message box with something to the effect of "Currently in SD Mode, press [A] to continue" ... don't press anything. On component input the message will be black/white/fuzzy. On SVideo, composite, or coax ... the message will be clear.
6. Don't press anything yet
7. Wait ...
8. Wait ...
9. You'll eventually see a clear message (via component) "Currently in HD Mode, press [A] to continue". Via SVideo, composite, or coax ... you wouldn't see anything.
10. Press [A] to use 'HD Mode'

You're now in the 'HDTV Setup Wizard' (which you can exit out of ... press exit or turn box on). But ... it's good to know and described here (with several errors / ommissions / things not applicable to your software):
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/exp...d/4003114B.pdf

11. Turn box on ... you're good to go

Notes:
1. Exact details may vary with exact software / version. I've heard later versions of SARA have potentially 'disabled' the wizard used above ... but I can only confirm the software I have. No clue if this works with Passport.

2. There's also feedback on the front panel LED which would allow you to switch modes w/o looking at the screen. I forget exactly what it is (I think 'HD' and 'SD) ... but ... you may want to make a note of that if you're going to do this often.

3. I think there's a shorter way of doing this using a specific combination of buttons on the front of the box ... but I forget the details at the moment.

4. When in 'HD Mode', SVideo, Coax output, and the 'Out To VCR' composite outputs are active when using PIP and 'Save To VCR'. For some this isn't helpfull (can't ff/rw/list/etc ... wouldn't work well with Tivo) ... but it's good to know. For example, it'd be a way to dump a show to a Tivo (in the background) while watching something else on the 8000HD. An HD source + TivoToGo ... you could actually make some pretty good-looking DVDs.

In York city Time warner 8000HD box will not do that. IT runs on passport. In the manual it says s video and others are for future use
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #27
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally posted by angel35
In York city Time warner 8000HD box will not do that. IT runs on passport.
As always with the cable boxes ... YMMV with your particular cable company / software / vendor / version.
Quote:
Exact details may vary with exact software / version. I've heard later versions of SARA have potentially 'disabled' the wizard used above ... but I can only confirm the software I have. No clue if this works with Passport.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:31 AM   #28
preachermanx

8000HD SciAtl IR Code

Is there an IR code or way to make either serial or IR work with this box? Using a Pioneer 810 TiVo/2.. I tried all the standard IR combo's and none seemed to work.

Thanks for the assistnace.

preachermanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:51 PM   #29
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: 8000HD SciAtl IR Code

Quote:
Originally posted by preachermanx
Is there an IR code or way to make either serial or IR work with this box? Using a Pioneer 810 TiVo/2.. I tried all the standard IR combo's and none seemed to work.
People have reported in the compatibility list that it does work but not what IR code they used. Also beware the reports about the auto-shutoff and HD/SD output.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 03-15-2006, 06:52 PM   #30
JoeyImage

Ok here goes. I have a Scientific Atlanta 4200HD digital cable box, a surround sound receiver, and a series2 Tivo. Is there a way to get them all to work together correctly? I currently have the Tivo hooked to the receiver's Input 1, and the receiver hooked to the TV's input 1. So as long as both are set on Input 1, or Line 1, I can ge Tivo on-screen, which brings me to another problem. The Tivo doesn't change the channel. The digits on the SA4200HD box change, but on-screen, there's no change. Which essentially means that the Tivo is always on the same channel, so if it records anything, it doesn't seem to realize that the channel isn't actually changing. This essentially makes the Tivo useless. The SA4200HD is hooked to the TV through the Component cables, so that all works fine. But I still have to switch to both Input 1's in order to see the Tivo stuff on-screen, but then I have the problem I mentioned above. Any ideas at all about this? I've tried seemingly every configuration..to no avail. I'm stumped...

http://www.joeyimage.com
JoeyImage is offline   Reply With Quote