TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #751
mrmrlawrence

Wide-Band Capability for HD DVR?

I am having trouble getting information out of all of the Direct TV support personnel as to whether the HR10-DVR-250 can support a Wide-band input.

I have access to Direct TV and Terrestrial HD through a distributed system installed in the condominium building in which I live. There is one huge dish on the roof, and apparently local terrestiral HD is modulated into the system from a yagi on the roof too.

I also understand that the terrestrial HD is modulated in such a way that only Direct TV receivers that can accept wide-band (like the Hughes HD-HTL) will work in my building.

Does anyone have any idea whether the Direct TV HD Tivo can do this?
mrmrlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:59 PM   #752
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
You are getting your DirecTV signal stacked. You only need a destacker to separate the 2 signals. The problem is that you're only getting signals from one satellite so you won't be able to get to 2/3rds of DirecTV's HD programming, since it's evenly spread right now across all 3 satellites.

The terrestrial HD is just included on the same cable; it's highly unlikely it's being remodulated in any way; that'd work with a regular diplexer to separate the stacked signal from the terrestrial signal.

But your main decision is figuring out if you can live with satellite HD channels only from the main 101° satellite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #753
mrmrlawrence

Direct TV HD DVR Redux

dswallow thanks for the reply.

A couple of questions and confirmations:
1. You are correct that Terrestrial HD is on the same cable. Currently, all I need is a diplexer to split my signal to access the terrestrial.

2. What is a destacker and where do you normally get one?

3. As I understand it currently, the building which has the stacked Direct TV only has regular Direct TV (so the only HD program accessible at the moment is terrestrial). Apparently something has to be added to all the risers to get a full HD system. So all I want to do is ensure that if I buy the HD Tivo, it will work on the existing system. It sounds like the Hughes HD-HTL has an internal destacker, and you are telling me that the Tivo does not have one internal, but I can just add one to the signal path between wall and the HD Tivo and I should be good to go?

You are getting your DirecTV signal stacked. You only need a destacker to separate the 2 signals. The problem is that you're only getting signals from one satellite so you won't be able to get to 2/3rds of DirecTV's HD programming, since it's evenly spread right now across all 3 satellites.

The terrestrial HD is just included on the same cable; it's highly unlikely it's being remodulated in any way; that'd work with a regular diplexer to separate the stacked signal from the terrestrial signal.

But your main decision is figuring out if you can live with satellite HD channels only from the main 101° satell
Old 07-08-2004, 04:45 PM   #754
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: Direct TV HD DVR Redux

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmrlawrence
dswallow thanks for the reply.

A couple of questions and confirmations:
1. You are correct that Terrestrial HD is on the same cable. Currently, all I need is a diplexer to split my signal to access the terrestrial.

2. What is a destacker and where do you normally get one?

3. As I understand it currently, the building which has the stacked Direct TV only has regular Direct TV (so the only HD program accessible at the moment is terrestrial). Apparently something has to be added to all the risers to get a full HD system. So all I want to do is ensure that if I buy the HD Tivo, it will work on the existing system. It sounds like the Hughes HD-HTL has an internal destacker, and you are telling me that the Tivo does not have one internal, but I can just add one to the signal path between wall and the HD Tivo and I should be good to go?
A stacked signal has the 2 signals (odd & even transponders) from 101° combined, with one set of them block-shifted up above the first set (which'll be the 950MHz-1450MHz range). A destacker just does the opposite, providing either 2 distinct outputs, one of each group of signals (and then requiring a multiswitch), or combining the functionality of a multiswitch to allow the one output to be connected directly to a regular DirecTV receiver.

You should be able to get it through whoever installed that system, or whoever manages it. But you can also pick them up online, such as from http://www.9thtee.com/dssstuff.htm. The receiver you mentioned simply has this functionality built in. To enable both tuners, you'll need to provide two outputs for the receiver; so that means either destacking to separate outputs and using a multiswitch, getting the destacker with 2 receiver outputs, or getting a high frequency splitter and 2 destackers each with 1 receiver output.

You will be able to get the HD material broadcast on the 101° satellite, which is mainly just the CBS feed (if you qualify to get it) and 2 NFL HD feeds. My guess is at least some of whatever new HD channels DirecTV adds will end up on 101° as well, since that's where they're freeing up space currently used by locals. But you won't be able to get HBOHD or SHOHD or the HDNet channels or DISCOVERY HD without signals from 110° and 119°.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:04 PM   #755
mrmrlawrence

thanks again for the understanding. The local personnel responsible for the building had a disincentive to share this information because it removes the need for the condominium to purchase $10K of work to rewire the condo system.

Now I know personally, I can use a destacker and use any box compatible with direct tv (not just those with an internal destacker like the HD_HTL).

Curiously, as I make the decisions for the condo, they have stated that at minimum, to carry Direct TV's HD channels (not just terrestrial/OTA), we need a second run of cable into the risers on each floor. Additionally they state that you then need an extra run of cable for each HD box you use beyond one. I don't know enough about stacked systems to understand the riser one (but from what you stated, I would hypothesize that to turn the condo into HD, they need a second satellite, so this new run into the risers is just carrying the new satellite signal into the multiswitcher/stacker in each closet), but their advice about needing a second run of cable if you have more than one HD tuner seems specious. You could destack a single cable feed multiple times depending upon how many tuners you have rather than having to have a direct line from the riser closet.

Perhaps this sounds like blabber from someone who knows enough tech to sound dangerous, but really has no such background, or maybe I am on track here?
Old 07-08-2004, 05:11 PM   #756
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah, they'd need to at least run another cable to everyone, where they could stack the remaining 2 signals (a combined 110°/119° odd & even), then those people needing those signals would destack the 2 signals from that cable and connect all 4 destacked signals from the 2 cables to a 4xN or 5xN multswitch to feed their receivers. They would need 2 more satellite dishes as well, since it sounds like they use a larger-than-normal dish, and one of those would require a special LNB since the 110° signal gets shifted a bit before getting to the receiver.

Such is life; if a company commits to feeding a complex with the signal themselves, they need to be prepared to accomodate technological changes, too.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:32 PM   #757
mrmrlawrence

After spending a good amount of time in the community studying tone generators, I think I fully understand what you are telling me.

1. Given the way HD works, you always need two lines minimum to carry HD signal since a set top box can only call for channels one of two ways: voltage differential, or tone differential. (I assume all current HD stb's including the HR10-250 has its own tone activated switch)

2. The way a stb calls for channels on 101 is exactly the way it is called for 110/119, thus you can't run it all on one line, but need two lines to do so.

3. However, in a condominium setting, what you could do is run the second line into the master cable jack junction point at each condo unit at which point you would install a multiswitch that would control the STB calls from inside the unit coming off of one internal cable line and stb.

4. This means you have only one line at inside the apartment at the stb (i.e. the HR10-250). However, you need a destacker between the wall line and the HR10 so that the stb sees all the signal coming from the 3 satellites. This also means that if you want multiple HD boxes, you need to have an extra line for each box since a stacked system could not handle multiple different HD calls coming from the same unit.

What do you think?
Old 07-11-2004, 03:42 PM   #758
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
After spending a good amount of time in the community studying tone generators, I think I fully understand what you are telling me.

1. Given the way HD works, you always need two lines minimum to carry HD signal since a set top box can only call for channels one of two ways: voltage differential, or tone differential. (I assume all current HD stb's including the HR10-250 has its own tone activated switch)

2. The way a stb calls for channels on 101 is exactly the way it is called for 110/119, thus you can't run it all on one line, but need two lines to do so.

3. However, in a condominium setting, what you could do is run the second line into the master cable jack junction point at each condo unit at which point you would install a multiswitch that would control the STB calls from inside the unit coming off of one internal cable line and stb.

4. This means you have only one line at inside the apartment at the stb (i.e. the HR10-250). However, you need a destacker between the wall line and the HR10 so that the stb sees all the signal coming from the 3 satellites. This also means that if you want multiple HD boxes, you need to have an extra line for each box since a stacked system could not handle multiple different HD calls coming from the same unit.

What do you think?
I think you've generally got it. The stacking confuses things a bit, but if you ignore that for a moment, there are 4 different signals that must be provided to a multiswitch so that a receiver can request the one signal it needs to tune the requested channel. A combination of DC voltage and a 22kHz tone (or lack of tone) is what is currently used to control which signal the multiswitch delivers to the receiver.

It's possible to stack the 4 signals fed to a multiswitch using 2 cables, if cabling is a limitation, though this does require a lot of extra equipment. In a condominium/apartment setting, there are decisions to be made as to how to provide the signal to each unit. One can provide the 4 different signals and allow a multiswitch to be used in the apartment to feed any number of receivers, or one can provide the multiswitch output to the apartment, potentially limiting the apartment to a maximum of 3 or fewer tuners.... Though with 4 feeds from a multiswitch, you can feed another multiswitch.

The choices made in expanding a single satellite system can limit you in the future. DirecTV is going to be experimenting with Ka-band delivery of HD locals in the near future and this will require additional feeds to a multiswitch (likely a new design of multiswitch), so in rewiring a building for the 110°/119° satellite, some consideration should be given to making it easy to expand further, since it's often a whole lot cheaper to run additional cable at the same time than it is to come back a year later and add more.

Old 07-17-2004, 10:46 AM   #759
mrmrlawrence

Even Transpoders, where are they?

Doug:

A shot in the dark here. After your very helpful thoughts, I went out to set up an HD Tivo on my condominium's stacked system. The system has one round sattelite dish with one LNB it looks like....this is a very large dish that serves all 50 units in the condo. The system is not fully HD. All Direct TV channels are non-HD, and only the terrestrial antennae that is also stacked into the system is HD (our conversation helped me understand what we need to do to get it fully HD).

In the Satellite closets there appears to be a switch which takes the odd and even transponders and stacks them onto one cable drop....it appears that this drop is the one that is split and amplified multiple times to distribute to units. (I don't know if this helps, but the only recommended high-def receiver from our satellite providers is the Hughes HD-HTL, and previous to my troubles here, I was using a Sony Sat B-50).

The problem I am having is after installation of the HD Tivo with the use of a double destacker I found at 9thtee.com, the HD Tivo cannot seem to get any even transponder signal but for number 18. So install never completes as the unit can never pull the full satellite system. The install fails and says that it can't get the right side of 101(A).

Any thoughts on what I need to do to the system so that this does not occur and I can start using the HD Tivo, albeit primarily for the non-HD Direct TV programming that I get?
Old 07-17-2004, 12:12 PM   #760
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: Even Transpoders, where are they?

Quote:
A shot in the dark here. After your very helpful thoughts, I went out to set up an HD Tivo on my condominium's stacked system. The system has one round sattelite dish with one LNB it looks like....this is a very large dish that serves all 50 units in the condo. The system is not fully HD. All Direct TV channels are non-HD, and only the terrestrial antennae that is also stacked into the system is HD (our conversation helped me understand what we need to do to get it fully HD).

In the Satellite closets there appears to be a switch which takes the odd and even transponders and stacks them onto one cable drop....it appears that this drop is the one that is split and amplified multiple times to distribute to units. (I don't know if this helps, but the only recommended high-def receiver from our satellite providers is the Hughes HD-HTL, and previous to my troubles here, I was using a Sony Sat B-50).

The problem I am having is after installation of the HD Tivo with the use of a double destacker I found at 9thtee.com, the HD Tivo cannot seem to get any even transponder signal but for number 18. So install never completes as the unit can never pull the full satellite system. The install fails and says that it can't get the right side of 101(A).

Any thoughts on what I need to do to the system so that this does not occur and I can start using the HD Tivo, albeit primarily for the non-HD Direct TV programming that I get?
What you describe as to how the signal is put together and distributed sounds exactly like it should. When you installed the dual destacker in your home did you use any splitters? In some respects it sounds like the upper block of signals from the dish is being blocked. If you used any splitters and they weren't rated for signals up to 2GHz (typically "regular" splitters are rated up to 1GHz then there's significant drop-off above), I'd expect to see half the signals missing. But I'm surprised to see you say transponder 18 gets through; presuming it's really transponder 18.

Looking at the spec sheet for the destacker, it's not clear if there's a DC block on the antenna side of the diplexer that's built in.

Many people have reported strange behaviors using Terk diplexers which pass DC voltage to the antenna input, when using them with the HR10-250. They have to use a DC Block at the antenna input to the HR10-250. It might be that this is what's going on with yours. I believe if you disconnect the antenna from HR10-250's antenna input, and you can complete guided setup, then you would know this is the problem you're having and can get a DC Block at Radio Shack to place there. If you could give that a try and let us know how it goes, then we can go from there.

Old 07-17-2004, 02:21 PM   #761
mrmrlawrence

Destacker Redux

Thanks again. No splitters with the destacker. I did detach the antennae connection and reset the satellite on the unit. Transponder 18 no longer registers, so that must have been some sort of late night anomaly. Still, no right side of 101(A) the unit states, so no functionality.

If you think it helpful, I can also go into the closet and get the names and types of stackers and in line amps and splitter that are used on the way to my units wiring. When I looked last night, they were wide band splitters. What also is odd is that the Sony B-50 worked fine win the set up, so I am not really sure what the HD DVR is sensing that is different.

In the meantime, I will open up the wall and see if there is a non-wideband splitter used to feed the second cable connection internal to my unit somewhere in the signal path.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:22 PM   #762
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: Destacker Redux

Quote:
Thanks again. No splitters with the destacker. I did detach the antennae connection and reset the satellite on the unit. Transponder 18 no longer registers, so that must have been some sort of late night anomaly. Still, no right side of 101(A) the unit states, so no functionality.

If you think it helpful, I can also go into the closet and get the names and types of stackers and in line amps and splitter that are used on the way to my units wiring. When I looked last night, they were wide band splitters. What also is odd is that the Sony B-50 worked fine win the set up, so I am not really sure what the HD DVR is sensing that is different.

In the meantime, I will open up the wall and see if there is a non-wideband splitter used to feed the second cable connection internal to my unit somewhere in the signal path.
If the same connection is used successfully with the Sony B50 receiver then it should work with this destacker.

If you reverse the two connections from the destacker do you see the same problem? If you have the B50 receiver, or there's a neighbor you know with one, can you check the feed coming into your unit to be sure it works OK with a known-good receiver working elsewhere? If it works, then the same receiver should also work connected to the destacker, and then if that works there must be an issue with your HR10-250. If it doesn't work, then the destacker is at fault.

Old 07-17-2004, 03:43 PM   #763
mrmrlawrence

What do you mean by reverse the connections on the destacker? I will trouble shoot accordingly, and I have a known working B50, so I will install and check what its read says on antennaes,
thanks..
Old 07-17-2004, 04:01 PM   #764
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
What do you mean by reverse the connections on the destacker? I will trouble shoot accordingly, and I have a known working B50, so I will install and check what its read says on antennaes,
thanks..
Your dual destacker has two outputs, one for each tuner; I was just wondering if you get the same problem when you have the outputs wired to opposite tuners from where you tried originally.

Old 07-17-2004, 07:52 PM   #765
mrmrlawrence

Troubleshooting exemplar

Doug: I appreciate your input. I have put together every possible permutation using the destacker, the hr10-250 and the Sony B-50.

What I have found is that if I attach the cable from my wall directly into the B-50, I get most of the transponders. Also, if I use a diplexer (2 mHz) and use the satellite output from the diplexer, I get the same result.

However, if I plug the B-50 into one of the outputs of the destacker, and input into the destacker the direct wall feed or the diplexer feed, I only get the odd transponders.

Further, if I plug the HR-10 to the destacker or directly to the wall, I only get the odd transponders.

All this leads me to believe that maybe the stacking is going on in some odd frequency range. A range that the B50 or the HD-HTL can handle, and the destacker or HR10-250 cannot?

Not sure how I would proceed. FYI, also, I checked both the A and B outputs of the destacker.......
Old 07-17-2004, 09:14 PM   #766
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Your dual destacker has two outputs, one for each tuner; I was just wondering if you get the same problem when you have the outputs wired to opposite tuners from where you tried originally.
Doug. Your knowledge of sat systems seems endless. Do you work in the business?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:57 PM   #767
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
What diplexer brand/part are you using? Have all your tests had the diplexer between the wall and the destacker? Does your Sony receiver work with the destacker between the wall and the Sony satellite input? Just want to make sure the destacker you have is passing the high frequencies.

Your Sony A55/B55 works. If the destacker worked, the Sony would work attached to the destacker output. I'm wondering if you need to rerun through the satellite dish setup though, since it'd have last been configured to see a stacked signal. The manual isn't clear (they mention a "signal seeker pop up" but don't say what that's about, however since it's only popping up when a round antenna is selected, I'd bet this is the step), but I'd guess it needs to decide how to access the satellite signal.

If you're using the cables enclosed with the destacker to connect between it and the receiver, maybe trying a different cable is worth a go. But I'd be hard pressed to think both are bad or that a bad cable could prevent the even transponders from getting selected. But you've come this far trying things...

Old 07-17-2004, 09:58 PM   #768
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by DCIFRTHS
Doug. Your knowledge of sat systems seems endless. Do you work in the business?
No, I don't work in the business, however I've always had a high interest in satellite systems, dating all the way back to my first C/Ku-band "big dish" system, so I've had a lot of experience, and love gadgets so am always interested in such things; and if you're interested in something, you suck the knowledge up everywhere it comes.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:57 AM   #769
mrmrlawrence

Troubleshooting hits a barrier

Doug: Your expertise has allowed me to continue this much further than I would have alone. Equipment:
I am using an ASKA 40-2150 MHz diplexer which has both a SAT and an ANT output.

The dual destacker I tried to use (from 9th Tee) was a D575D. As I mentioned, while my B-50 worked either connected directly to the wall or from the SAT output of the diplexer, it did not work when connected to the destacker.

I tired resetting the HR10-250 after connecting only the output of the diplexer to the HR10, but still only getting the odd transponders. I also did the same reset when directly connecting the HR10 to the wall. Same issue.

To summarize: It seems like certain high frequencies are not passing through the destacker, as the B-50 won't work with it.

Further, it seems the HR-10 can't pick up certain frequencies, as it will not work with the same feed that the B-50 does work on.

Any thoughts? Could this still be a DC issue, or is this an issue whereby I need some specialized destacker?

Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:21 PM   #770
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Did you rerun the satellite dish setup on the B50 when the unit was hooked up to the destacker? I think it needs to detect that the signal isn't stacked; right now, your B50 is configured for a stacked signal, so it won't work right with a regular unstacked signal.

Here's another way you might be able to ensure it's configured for a regular unstacked signal:

(got this online, and the info was sketchy, so I might be missing something) go into the hidden menu (press down arrow and menu -- I guess on the front panel -- maybe hold them down for up to 15-20 seconds); there's a setting on the antenna menu that'll be "wide". Change that to whatever the other setting is (maybe "narrow"). This should change the receiver to work with a non-stacked signal. Verify it by hooking it up directly to the wall and you should not get the even transponders. Then hook it up to the destacker and see if the receiver can get all transponders.

I've never heard of a customized/properietary stacking setup so I'm still of the mindset that the issue here is the destacker you've got isn't working. The D575d is definately doing the same thing the built-in destacking of the Sony receivers. I see lots of people referencing them online, so I'm confident that in general the D575d works if a B50 works on the stacked signal. So I just want to find out if we can get the B50 to work with the destacker. If we can, then the HR10-250 you have has a problem. If we can't, then I think the destacker you have isn't working.

If all else fails, I suppose it's worth a look at what stacking equipment is in use. If you have access to wherever it's installed, can you get the manufacturer/model #'s on that equipment?

Old 07-18-2004, 07:48 PM   #771
mrmrlawrence

follow up question

Doug: I will try to access the service menu tonight on the B-50 so that we can determine whether the destacker or the HR10-250 is at issue. quick question as I am away from the unit at the moment, does the hr10-250 have a service menu that may be helpful in resolving this issue?

Last edited by mrmrlawrence : 07-18-2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:56 PM   #772
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: follow up question

Quote:
does the hr10-250 have a secret menu?
Pressing INFO & RIGHT on the front panel brings up the system diagnostics menu.

Old 07-18-2004, 10:47 PM   #773
mrmrlawrence

Interesting

Doug:
Went to the B50 diagnostics menu, set it to the non wideband setting, and voila, only the odd transponders. Hooked up the destacker, and it helped none. So I am assuming that the destacker must be the issue here? Do you agree?

Too bad the HR10 does not have an internal destacker. I am assuming that I either have a bad destacker or that this destacker is inappropriate because it is not passing wideband? Any thoughts?

This experience has been a real learning experience thanks to you. Thank you.

As an aside, do you know (can you explain) why diplexers extend to 2150 MHz, but the destackers tend to cut off at 2025 MHz? Why the extra headroom in the diplexer?

Last edited by mrmrlawrence : 07-18-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:36 PM   #774
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'd say your destacker is bad. I do believe if the destacker were working, it'd function properly on your system. I'd suggest getting it replaced. It *might* be worth calling the manufacturer's tech support... it's a stretch, but maybe you need to place a DC block between the wall and the destacker.

I doubt there's much rhyme or reason to the extra range of the diplexer; probably just a factor of the choice of components inside, or playing it safe to ensure there's no premature cutoff/degradation of the signal that needs to be passed. I suppose there might be cases where there's a little wider range of signal from some LNB's used on other satellite bands, too.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:46 PM   #775
mrmrlawrence

I will keep you informed. It sounds like the first order of businesses is to get the replacement destacker. I will follow up with tech support to see if a DC blocker might help.

Why, btw, would DC present a problem to the external destacker, but not create a problem with the Sony B-50? Logic would dictate, per what I am learning from you that if no dc blocker is required for the B-50, it would not be needed for the destacker, no?

Thanks for the troubleshooting.

Last edited by mrmrlawrence : 07-19-2004 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:47 PM   #776
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

I have faint memories of destacker posts where the two outputs of the destacker (don't recall which type or brand) had to be fed into a multiswitch to make the even and odd transponders available to each output tap of the multiswitch.

IIRC, each destacker output is EITHER even or odd transponders, not both. The Sony receivers were built to handle this internally. Other receivers needed the help of a multiswitch to make all transponders available.

I could be WAY off here, but perhaps you need a 2xN multiswitch between your destacker and any receiver except the Sony that was made to work directly with the stacked signals.

You may want to do a search here on the TiVo forum for Feldon or feldoncentral, since I believe he is using a stacker/destacker arrangement (or used to). He published some diagrams showing how to connect everything together successfully.

Sorry if my memories are weak here, but I read through the posts because they were interesting, but I had no personal need for stacking/destacking, so I did not commit things to memory like I might have if I had actually used the equipment myself.

Good luck!
Old 07-19-2004, 04:02 PM   #777
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Why, btw, would DC present a problem to the external destacker, but not create a problem with the Sony B-50? Logic would dictate, per what I am learning from you that if no dc blocker is required for the B-50, it would not be needed for the destacker, no?

Thanks for the troubleshooting.
The receiver could have a DC block built in that's active in wideband mode. I did say it was a stretch. The HR10-250 does suffer problems when the antenna connection has DC voltage present, and a DC block is required there (the Terk diplexer being the only diplexer I've ever seen that doesn't have a DC block built in).

Anyway I'd doubt DC voltage could be an issue on the satellite inputs, since the configuration of the typical stacked setup would likely effectively isolate DC anyway, via the splitters used to distribute the stacked signal.

Old 07-19-2004, 04:53 PM   #778
mrmrlawrence

Hmm

I would assume that what is output from a destacker is dependent on the destacker itself. For example, the Sonora dual destacker I am using should be outputting even and odd transponders?

What I can't reconcile with the post with Budget HT is why the Sony failed to work with the destacker in standard mode.

Actually, I think I am lost really. Not sure what a multiswitch gets you....
Old 07-19-2004, 05:01 PM   #779
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: Hmm

Quote:
I would assume that what is output from a destacker is dependent on the destacker itself. For example, the Sonora dual destacker I am using should be outputting even and odd transponders?

What I can't reconcile with the post with Budget HT is why the Sony failed to work with the destacker in standard mode.

Actually, I think I am lost really. Not sure what a multiswitch gets you....
There are destackers that simply separate the original two signals back to their original frequencies. These would then be fed into a multiswitch.

Your Sonora D575d essentially has a built-in 3x2 multiswitch and the outputs to each receiver will send out either of the two source satellite signals based on the voltage the receiver sends. If it worked right.

I think the safe bet is your D575d destacker is broken.

Old 07-20-2004, 03:03 PM   #780
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Doug:

Based on your clarification of the internal multiswitch in the Sonora D575d, I now understand your description and opinions and agree with your assessment of the problem.

Thanks for clearing it up for me. I knew there had to be a multiswitch function, I just never realized that it was provided internally in the D575d.