TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2004, 04:23 PM   #661
MichaelK

huh?

If you have Directv just get the HD Directivo with an OTA antenna- its out now?

Supposedly D* has significant plans for HD in the next year or 2 so the content will only get better.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:10 AM   #662
steveru

MickaelK,

Well, as I said earlier, less than a year ago, I did months of research to pair up the perfect HD receiver with my HD Monitor. I have already dumped over $1000 into the receiver and it would be a waist of my hard earned money (not to mention the time and effort that went into pairing up the perfect combination of receiver and monitor) to "just get the HD Directivo".

The perils of being on the bleeding edge, I guess.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
steveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:04 PM   #663
MichaelK

Bleeding edge can hurt...

I think its cheapest though just to bite the bullet and get the HD Tivo- the standalone units would probably cost the same as the price of a HDTivo minus selling your current box on ebay.

of course you might not get the perfect match though...
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:59 PM   #664
chickenscratch

I have to subscribe to the HD package to get CBSHDW (81)?

That makes no sense.

I pay for HBO, so I get HBOHD.
I pay for local channels, so I should get local channels HD, or at least the closest to it I can get.

Yes, I am in a CBS O&O market.

Am I the only one who complained to DirectTV about this?
chickenscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:07 AM   #665
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by chickenscratch
I have to subscribe to the HD package to get CBSHDW (81)?

That makes no sense.

I pay for HBO, so I get HBOHD.
I pay for local channels, so I should get local channels HD, or at least the closest to it I can get.

Yes, I am in a CBS O&O market.

Am I the only one who complained to DirectTV about this?
CBD HD is part of local channels (or distant networks), not part of the HD package; some have reported only having the HD package and being in the O&O area and getting CBS HD turned on, but the HD package is not required. Local channels or distant network CBS is supposed to be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:14 AM   #666
chickenscratch

I just spent 20 minutes arguing that with DirecTV.

But I couldn't past the person at DirecTV.

What is the magic key phrase to get this channel?

He said he checked elegibility and I am not eligible (again, I am, I am in San Jose).

What do I have to say to get this turned on?

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:19 AM   #667
chickenscratch

Quick follow up.

I was directly told I don't get 81 unless I get the HD package. Obviously this was incorrect. I'm just asking for a phrase to say to get past this with DirecTV.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:41 AM   #668
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by chickenscratch
Quick follow up.

I was directly told I don't get 81 unless I get the HD package. Obviously this was incorrect. I'm just asking for a phrase to say to get past this with DirecTV.
OK, apparently the HD package is an official way to get it, too. But if you read DirecTV's own page about it, it's clearly "part of the local channels package" too.

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/cbs_hd.html

If you go to http://directvdnseligibility.decisio...dressEntry.asp, you only see KPIX listed in the CBS stations when entering your address, right? If there's another one, then you need a waiver. But if KPIX is the only one, then you only need DirecTV to fix their problem. Supposedly there is a group of CSR's specifically handling CBS HD and eligibility; ask to speak to one of them if the first CSR can't help you.

Old 05-12-2004, 12:50 AM   #669
chickenscratch

asking for the CBS HD CSR did the trick

Thank you very much Doug.

It turns out that all the CSR has to do is try to add the channel (81 in my case), and the computer will reject it if you cannot have it.

The CBS HD CSR I talked to said that my area was blanket waivered, but that didn't always mean anything, he'd try to add it and the computer would act as a final arbiter.

The computer allowed it, and I am in business. Too bad it didn't happen when I first called, CBS isn't in HDTV at the moment.

So, the secret passphrase in the future may be simply to attempt to cajole the CSR into trying to add it.

Thanks again Doug.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:36 PM   #670
jjmpeters

Re: ** HD TiVo and HD DirecTV TiVo FAQ **

Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
[What hardware do I need from DirecTV?

Using a 2xX multiswitch to provide the 101 satellite to certain receivers and still having 2 outputs which can see all 3 satellites (101/110/119).[/b]

I want to feed the dual tuners on the HR10-250, the duals on my SD DirecTiVo, and two other DirecTV receivers. I've got the dish with the integrated multiswitch. Can I take two of the feeds off of this dish and run it into my external 4x4 multiswitch so I can now have 6 feeds? Or must it be a 2x4 like in the picture from the FAQ here?

Thx.
jjmpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:54 PM   #671
MCodanti

Re: Re: ** HD TiVo and HD DirecTV TiVo FAQ **

Quote:
Originally posted by jjmpeters
I want to feed the dual tuners on the HR10-250, the duals on my SD DirecTiVo, and two other DirecTV receivers. I've got the dish with the integrated multiswitch. Can I take two of the feeds off of this dish and run it into my external 4x4 multiswitch so I can now have 6 feeds? Or must it be a 2x4 like in the picture from the FAQ here?

Thx.
That should work just fine, just make sure that the HR10-250 gets two straight from the dish, and that you tell the SD DirecTiVos that you only have a single LNB with two cables.
MCodanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 07:42 PM   #672
jjmpeters

Thanks MCodanti

Another question. My 4x4 has 2 ports labeled as Sat A In 13v and 18 V, and 2 ports labeled as Sat B In 13v and 18 V.

Which two of the four ports should I hook up to?
Old 05-13-2004, 08:46 PM   #673
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by jjmpeters
Thanks MCodanti

Another question. My 4x4 has 2 ports labeled as Sat A In 13v and 18 V, and 2 ports labeled as Sat B In 13v and 18 V.

Which two of the four ports should I hook up to?
You want to feed two signals to the Sat A inputs; then the outputs of this 4x4 multiswitch will distribute the 101° satellite signals to any/all of the 4 tuners connected to the outputs.

Old 05-15-2004, 05:26 PM   #674
darinp2

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but in looking through the posts I've seen a lot of talk around this, but haven't seen a definitive answer.

If I use a 5x8 switch to wire 2 lines to one HR10-250, 2 lines to another HR10-250 and one line to a DTC-100, do I need to worry about conflicts? I think that the answer is, "Yes, I need to worry about conflicts if one receiver is trying to select something on 110 and one on 119, but not if they are on the same LNB." However, I'm not sure and figured I should find out before I consider buying another HR10-250. Also, years ago I thought there was a limitation about watching different channels in different rooms and then there was a limit of 2. Is that limitation now gone and down to the LNB level (or was it never there)? That is, can you now watch 8 different channels at one time with a 5x8 switch and 8 receivers?

Thanks,
Darin
darinp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:48 PM   #675
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by darinp2
Sorry if this is an obvious question, but in looking through the posts I've seen a lot of talk around this, but haven't seen a definitive answer.

If I use a 5x8 switch to wire 2 lines to one HR10-250, 2 lines to another HR10-250 and one line to a DTC-100, do I need to worry about conflicts? I think that the answer is, "Yes, I need to worry about conflicts if one receiver is trying to select something on 110 and one on 119, but not if they are on the same LNB." However, I'm not sure and figured I should find out before I consider buying another HR10-250. Also, years ago I thought there was a limitation about watching different channels in different rooms and then there was a limit of 2. Is that limitation now gone and down to the LNB level (or was it never there)? That is, can you now watch 8 different channels at one time with a 5x8 switch and 8 receivers?
Darin, you're probably remembering WAY back before DirecTV had multiswitches and they sold two different 18" dish configurations, one with an LNB with a single output, and one with an LNB with two outputs. The latter was the most they had, so you were limited to two receivers without installing another dish.

The 5x8 multiswitch provides 8 completely independent outputs to feed tuners with; there will be no conflicts or limitations at any tuner.

Old 05-15-2004, 07:30 PM   #676
Tom in OH

Quote:
Originally posted by darinp2

If I use a 5x8 switch to wire 2 lines to one HR10-250, 2 lines to another HR10-250 and one line to a DTC-100, do I need to worry about conflicts?

Thanks,
Darin
Be sure to use a "cascadeable" multiswitch such as the Terk

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...=&PROD=SPBMS58
Old 05-16-2004, 09:15 PM   #677
steeler

HR10-250

Does anyone know when 4.0.1.b will be available for the HR10-250? I would really like to get the USB Wireless Connectivity I enjoy with my series 2 SD Tivo
steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:32 PM   #678
Joe Q

Dual Tuner Clarification

Just a clarification please.

When I was getting ready to sell my DISH 921 HD DVR and get the HD TIVO,
folks were saying that the HD TIVO had one up on the 921 because the HD TIVO had dual OTA tuners.

Did I get incorrect info?

My now sold 921 had ONE OTA input and TWO Satellite inputs.

The HD TIVO that I am now in the middle of hooking up has ONE OTA input and TWO Satellite inputs.

Not a big deal because I have an IR switch for my two OTA UHF roof antennas but just wanted to make sure that this model of the HD TIVO is supposed to only have ONE OTA input.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:35 PM   #679
BrettStah

Joe Q, the OTA input is split internally inside of the HD-Tivo.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 02:27 PM   #680
Joe Q

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
Joe Q, the OTA input is split internally inside of the HD-Tivo.
Okay, now you really lost me.

What is split?

I have 2 UHF antennas which point to 2 different cities so I can get the digital stations from either city.
I currently do that with my dual tuner PC HDTV card.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:31 PM   #681
BrettStah

The HD-Tivo has one input for OTA, and that one input is split internally. You will need to look into combining your two different cables from your two antennas into a single input.

Old 05-17-2004, 05:39 PM   #682
Joe Q

Quote:
The HD-Tivo has one input for OTA, and that one input is split internally. You will need to look into combining your two different cables from your two antennas into a single input.

I have been fooling with OTA digitalfor 3-4 years now so I have a petty good idea of what I am doing.

You can not just combine 2 antennas as the frequencies tend to cancel themselves out. It can be done if you put attennuators that notch out chunkcs of frequencies around the stations you don't get.

In my case that won't work because between DC and Baltimore several are very close to each other. EG. I get a channel 39 from DC and 38 from Baltimore.
Guess what - 38 is CBS who is the HD leader
Would not do to lose that station

For the past 2+ years, I have been using a MYHD PC card that accepts dual RF inputs and worrks seamlessly in the program guide. The SW is about as simple to use as a TIVO and I have 'unlimted' disk space since it is PC based.
Besides, I can dump the recordings out to my D-VHS.
BTW, the antenna RF switch which is IR controlled via my remote that I mentioned is hooked up AFTER the MYHD card.

I probably will not even use the OTA capability on the HD TIVO because of what I said about my MYHD PC card and not use up that valuable 250 GB disk on the HD TIVO.

I was only curious about all the great reports about the tuner in the HD TIVO and wanted to see if it was true because I have 3 troublesome channels from DC and Bmore.
I got confused when hooking up because I only saw a single RF connector for OTA.

[/i]Okay to the point cause no one is explaining to me what 'splitting internally' means.[/i]

Is this internal split actually splitting the 8VSB signal from the NTSC signal so you get the digital and analog stations so that the TIVO shows the digital stations and the analogie stations?

If so, then I guess calling that a dual tuner system is a play on words and I have no use for wasting disk space on analogue stations on the HD tivo.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 05-17-2004, 06:23 PM   #683
BrettStah

The single OTA ATSC input is internally split to feed two tuners inside. I don't know how else to word it. The HD-Tivo does not receive nor record NTSC at all.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:43 AM   #684
Joe Q

Quote:
The single OTA ATSC input is internally split to feed two tuners inside. I don't know how else to word it. The HD-Tivo does not receive nor record NTSC at all.
Sorry for being so dense. I get it now.

My problem was a mindset from 3+ years of using OTA PC HDTV cards and OTA HD STB's which supported signals from 2 antennas on dual RF connections,BUT only tuned to a single channel at a time.

That was what I had stuck in my brain as dual tuners.
Those accepted dual inputs but only a single channel cold be tuned to.

The TIVO analogy is like PIP on a TV where the TIVO tunes to 2 different stations on the same feed.

Sorry for the confusion. Sometimes once I get an idea in my head as to how something should work, I don't see the obvious.

I appreciate your not losing your patience with me.

Joe, Sheepeshly signing off.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:17 AM   #685
timatraw

Will the HD Tivo be able to record OTA HD shows with an antenna hookup?
Tim
timatraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:36 AM   #686
Tom in OH

Quote:
Originally posted by timatraw
Will the HD Tivo be able to record OTA HD shows with an antenna hookup?
Tim
yes, it can even record two different HD channels at the same time from your antenna.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:19 AM   #687
dreaux

remote question

Is it my imagination but there is not on/off button on my HD tivo remote.
I see one for the TV but not one for the HD tivo. Is it now to stay on all the time?
Jim
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:24 AM   #688
jjmpeters

Re: remote question

Quote:
Originally posted by dreaux
I see one for the TV but not one for the HD tivo. Is it now to stay on all the time?
Jim

TiVo's always need to be on, or they won't be able to record programs. I even have mine on a small UPS since it takes several minutes for it to synch up with the satellites if there is a power loss.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:23 AM   #689
arxaw

Re: remote question

Quote:
Originally posted by dreaux
Jim
Most satellite and digicable boxes when "off" are really still on, and consume roughly the same amount of power either way. Only the output is turned off. The only way to turn them completely off is to remove the power source. But most will have to reboot and re-acquire program guides when power is reapplied, so it's best to leave them on all the time.
arxaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 10:30 AM   #690
vikesman

I am looking at possibly getting the HD Tivo. My question is: I have also looked at some of the DVD Burners that have Tivo with them (Pioneer Elite), Tivo Basic comes free with them, and you can pay to upgrade to Tivo + with season pass. If I get the new HD Tivo, will Tivo basic be free there as well. I am already a Direct customer, but as of yet to experience Tivo.

Thanks.

paul