TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2004, 07:26 PM   #241
strange_69

Ok, here is the situation, I had a US Robotics External Modem hooked up and was able to make about half of my semi-daily calls successfully. I heard that getting a DSL Phone Filter would help but figured that I didn't need one since I was using a cable modem. Well, I was wrong. I figured "what the heck" one day while I was at Walmart and picked up a six dollar RCA DSL Phone Filter. I tried it out and things started to get better. So then I went to Radio Shack and bought a 2-line DSL Filter for $18s and tried it out. Better still. Just for S&Gs I took off the ,#319 dialing prefix and tried a test call. Jaw drop. It made it past the Dialing Phase!!! Next I plugged the filter into my DirecTiVo and made a successful test call!!! And then a successful daily call!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that this helps everyone.
strange_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:03 AM   #242
ChiTownTimmay

So you were able to completely bypass the external modem and make successful phone calls thru the DTIVO using the DSL filter? And I'm curious as to why the 2 line filter....is there a significant difference between the one line and 2 line filter? Thanks!
ChiTownTimmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:32 AM   #243
skaeight

Quote:
Originally posted by strange_69
Ok, here is the situation, I had a US Robotics External Modem hooked up and was able to make about half of my semi-daily calls successfully. I heard that getting a DSL Phone Filter would help but figured that I didn't need one since I was using a cable modem. Well, I was wrong. I figured "what the heck" one day while I was at Walmart and picked up a six dollar RCA DSL Phone Filter. I tried it out and things started to get better. So then I went to Radio Shack and bought a 2-line DSL Filter for $18s and tried it out. Better still. Just for S&Gs I took off the ,#319 dialing prefix and tried a test call. Jaw drop. It made it past the Dialing Phase!!! Next I plugged the filter into my DirecTiVo and made a successful test call!!! And then a successful daily call!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that this helps everyone.
So does this mean that dtivo users no longer need an external modem? I'm very tempted to get a dtivo now. I currently have a SA, and no POTS line, just vonage.

It would be nice to be able to record 3 shows at once.
skaeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #244
strange_69

Quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownTimmay
So you were able to completely bypass the external modem and make successful phone calls thru the DTIVO using the DSL filter? And I'm curious as to why the 2 line filter....is there a significant difference between the one line and 2 line filter? Thanks!
Yes, I was able to get rid of my external modem. I don't have a good reason why I used the 2-line filter. I guess maybe because I though that it would be better but now that I think about it, that does not make sense since I do not have 2-lines. I don't think that this is a fix for everyone but, to me, it would be worth spending less than $20 to not have to use an external modem. Daily downloads are fast again.
strange_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:35 PM   #245
ChiTownTimmay

Thanks for the feedback. I guess i'm more concerned about just getting it to complete its calls before I worry about the speed. I'm anxious to get home and try this out now, thanks again. Here's hopin.
ChiTownTimmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:42 PM   #246
strange_69

Please let me know....
Old 05-08-2004, 06:23 PM   #247
vipergts450

Is it possible that this DSL Filter method will work on a Hughes HDVR2? If it does, I am immediately jumping ship to Vonage.

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. - I'm pretty new here, so I am unsure of how to tell what series Tivo I Have. I am assuming a series 2 because of the "2" in "HDVR2". I know i have software version 3.1.1c.
vipergts450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:57 PM   #248
strange_69

HDVR2 is what I have. I am not making any guarantees either. I was just saying that the DSL Filter worked for me. The other option is using an external modem, of course. You might wait until some other people have tried it.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:47 AM   #249
terminaldawn

Hi.

This is my first post. I have been reading this forum for several days now and have searched this topic but however have not seen a clear answer any help would be appreciated.

Is there a way to get a Series 2 DirecTivo (SD-DVR40) to connect using Vonage WITHOUT the external modem and using a straight serial connection to my pc???

I just read a few posts also about how some people are using DSL filters, is this working for anyone else?

Thanks for any help!!!!
terminaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #250
farleyruskz
Nunya

Quote:
Originally posted by terminaldawn
Is there a way to get a Series 2 DirecTivo (SD-DVR40) to connect using Vonage WITHOUT the external modem and using a straight serial connection to my pc???
Yep - check out this link or search the forum for "serial PPP" for details.

http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tivo...ki.net/33.html
farleyruskz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:22 PM   #251
StephanWolf

Note Just got mine working with DSL Filter

I just now got Vonage, and have spent the last couple of days trying to get my Directivo to make a successful call. Thanks Strange_69 for your info, it has been a life saver. I got my Vonage ATA (Motorola) from Best Buy, and thought why not get a DSL Filter while I'm here to save some time. They had the Linksys BA2LF Ver. 2 DSL Filter. I got it to successfully do the Test Call once, and never got it to successfully do the Daily Update or Retrieve Local Numbers. I finall gave up and went to Radio Shack. I got the one line DSL Filter (Strange_69 has the 2 line Filter). It successfully made the first Test Call, but failed the first Daily Call. I tried the Test Call again, which succeded, and the tried the Daily Call again. This time is also succeded. I have not tried the Retrieve Local Numbers.
Here is my configuration

Directivo model: HDVR2
Software Version: 3.1.1c-01-2-151
Dialing Prefix: *70,*99,1918 (918 is my area code)

ADSL Filter: Radio Shack single line.

Vonage ATA: Motorola
Vonage Call Quality/Bandwidth is at highest setting.
ATA is behind a router. I had the ports forwarded, but this was interfering with my VPN connection, so I turned them off. Vonage is still working without any port forwarding.

Netgear 814 router.
Cox @Home Broadband Cable service.

Hope this helps. It is looking very promising.
StephanWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:30 PM   #252
terminaldawn

Re: Just got mine working with DSL Filter

Quote:
Originally posted by StephanWolf

Dialing Prefix: *70,*99,1918 (918 is my area code)

*70 is to disable call waiting i know, what is *99 for??? Just wondering becuase i am curious if this has something to do with why it is working for you?
terminaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:00 AM   #253
StephanWolf

Sets the ATA in fax mode.
StephanWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:59 PM   #254
skaeight

Quote:
Originally posted by StephanWolf
Sets the ATA in fax mode.
Do you have to pay vonage for a fax line to use this?
skaeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:44 PM   #255
CegaRazoR

Help! please

Does anybody know what code or prefix should I set in my Dtivo RCA DVR 40, in able to work with vonage ip.

Thank you very much.......

CegaRazoR
CegaRazoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:59 PM   #256
CegaRazoR

how does it work DTivo DSR 6000 with ( VoIp ) on Internet Satellital Conection... it is posible..?? thanks

CegaRazoR

Last edited by CegaRazoR : 05-12-2004 at 02:18 PM.
CegaRazoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:22 PM   #257
tivocat99
It's the beach!

Quote:
I heard that getting a DSL Phone Filter would help but figured that I didn't need one since I was using a cable modem. Well, I was wrong. I figured "what the heck" one day while I was at Walmart and picked up a six dollar RCA DSL Phone Filter. I tried it out and things started to get better. So then I went to Radio Shack and bought a 2-line DSL Filter for $18s and tried it out. Better still. Just for S&Gs I took off the ,#319 dialing prefix and tried a test call. Jaw drop. It made it past the Dialing Phase!!! Next I plugged the filter into my DirecTiVo and made a successful test call!!! And then a successful daily call!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that this helps everyone.

So just to confirm... you are running phone cord from DirecTiVO to DSL filter, then from DSL filter to phone jack/Vonage?
tivocat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:12 PM   #258
strange_69

At first I plugged the filter into my DirecTV Tivo, which worked. Then I tried plugging the filter directly into my MTA (Moto Box) which also worked.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:57 PM   #259
astribli

Wow, I'm gonna have to try this. What an easy solution!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
astribli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 03:14 PM   #260
tivocat99
It's the beach!

Quote:
At first I plugged the filter into my DirecTV Tivo, which worked. Then I tried plugging the filter directly into my MTA (Moto Box) which also worked.
Thanks strange_69.... I saw your reply also under another thread where they were talking about plugging the DSL filter in backwards. Is that what you've done? Or does it work both ways for you?
Old 05-13-2004, 03:50 PM   #261
Billy66
Again with shoelaces

I plug it into the Dtivo backwards because I only have one to worry about. If you have multiple units, one filter can handle the entire house on the back of the MTA.
Billy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 03:53 PM   #262
tivocat99
It's the beach!

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy66
I plug it into the Dtivo backwards because I only have one to worry about. If you have multiple units, one filter can handle the entire house on the back of the MTA.
Backwards or forwards when hooked to the MTA? Or does it seem to matter? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:02 PM   #263
vipergts450

I don't think you can plug it into the ATA backwards.

If we're talking about standard DSL filters (the ones that have an RJ11 plug on one end, a wire from the jack to a small box with an RJ11 jack in it) then I think you would put the plug end into the ATA and then all your phones into the filter.
vipergts450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 06:54 PM   #264
tivocat99
It's the beach!

Quote:
Originally posted by qposner
I have all the phone jacks in my house wired for Vonage. I assume the wireless modem adapter is not necessary if I run a phone cord to a nearby jack (either from the DSR6000 or external 28.8 modem)? Let me know if I am missing something!

Thanks,
Quinn

Would appreciate any advice/input from those of you who have successfully connected Vonage to your existing telephone wiring. How complicated is this? What is the process? Seems like it would be the easiest way to accomplish DirecTiVO hookup AND get my Vonage to work with my alarm system. OK to email me direct at ccox29@myway.com . THANKS!
Old 05-13-2004, 10:53 PM   #265
strange_69

Basically all you need to do is find where your POTS wires connect with your home phone wires and disconnect them. You could unplug outside in your junction box but just be aware that someone (telephone man) could plug the wire back in and cause damage to your MTA. Once you have disconnected from POTS then check the voltage on you home phone lines. If there is no voltage then you are good to go. All you have to do then is plug your MTA into you home phone lines. Hope that helps.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:42 PM   #266
astribli

Well, what a disappointment. Tried both the single and dual DSL filters from Radio Shack to no avail.

Actually seems like it connects worse using the dual line filter.

Can pass the test call, but making the daily call either hanges up on Getting Account Status, or downloading messages.

Even tried using the filter with the external modem and it doesn't help reliability at all.

So, don't know what the DSL filter is doing for some of you but it isn't helping me at all.

What phone numbers are you dialing?

Was thinking that since Vonage has to first go over the Internet to their local site, then out to the various phone switches around the country, I wonder if it makes a difference in what phone number Tivo is calling. Maybe it is possible that some of you are dialing a phone number that is pretty close (distance and number of hops) to Vonage's main site. This would reduce the latency of the signal and therefore increase effective modem bandwidth.

Thoughts ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:28 AM   #267
astribli

Arrow

Wow, no responses. That's sad.....

Old 05-20-2004, 05:52 AM   #268
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by astribli
Wow, no responses. That's sad.....
There is nor reason the DSL filter SHOULD do anything, unless you have DSL (which a Vonage customer wouldn't have by definition -- if he did he would have a POTS line available). I can only speculate that some few portals have far better characteristics that other -- I'm using PPP at some effort and expense because I could find NO magic bullet at my location, including the use of external modems.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:37 AM   #269
astribli

But others say it has helped them. Maybe due to quantization noise errors in Vonage's digitizer circuitry? Using a filter helps reduce the amount of noise on the line and therefore the better quality of digitizing an analog signal?

Old 05-21-2004, 05:31 AM   #270
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by astribli
But others say it has helped them. Maybe due to quantization noise errors in Vonage's digitizer circuitry? Using a filter helps reduce the amount of noise on the line and therefore the better quality of digitizing an analog signal?
But when it helps in a non-reproducible way it illustrates that what was being helped is unusual and possibly unique to that case. An example would be induced spikes from being too close to a fluorescent balast -- a filter might help, but it is rare to have such spikes at a problematic level, and removing them doesn't affect the fundamental BW problems of modem-over-VOIP, but it might improve success at that one site.