TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2004, 09:04 PM   #631
BrettStah

Ken, currently software updates and the initial setup require a phoneline. Future software updates AFTER the next big update (4.x) will most likely also come via satellite. You will get "reminders" after awhile letting you know that the call didn't go through. Pressing SELECT on the remote clears this reminder, and you don't lose any functionality.

So see if you can go through the initial setup at a friend's house (or maybe at the store that you buy it from, if you buy it locally). And order your PPV via the web instead of with your remote, and that isn't an issue either. Then when you find out that the software has been updated, bring your Tivo to a friend's house with a phoneline, and let it dowload the update. Then no future phone calls should be required.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:54 PM   #632
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I believe at least one person successfully used PPP over serial to setup and install a unit. SO if that is the case, and you can deal with supporting PPP over serial in your environment, you may get away without a phone line at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:40 AM   #633
MGreen

My Review

Hi all, Ive posted a quickie review if anyones interested, So far my customer couldnt be happier with his HR10-250

http://www.electronicdecor.com/reviews/hdtv-tivo.htm

Last edited by MGreen : 04-26-2004 at 10:00 AM.
MGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:00 PM   #634
mag249

I currently have a round dual LNB dish. I am not going to get the triple until I receive my unit. I assume that I can connect everything (with the understanding that I will not get certain channels) as I would with the triple without damaging my unit? Once I get the triple I simply go through guided setup again?

Thanks guys (and gals) for all the great info on this BBS, it has been very useful in getting me up the learning curve.
mag249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:12 PM   #635
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by mag249
I currently have a round dual LNB dish. I am not going to get the triple until I receive my unit. I assume that I can connect everything (with the understanding that I will not get certain channels) as I would with the triple without damaging my unit? Once I get the triple I simply go through guided setup again?

Thanks guys (and gals) for all the great info on this BBS, it has been very useful in getting me up the learning curve.
Yes, you'll identify what sort of satellite dish you have when running through guided setup. Later when you get the 3-LNB dish, you will just rerun guided setup to change the satellite dish selection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:24 AM   #636
hongcho

I guess I will just ask it here instead of creating a new thread since it could be a FAQ...

So, when watching live, is there a way to go back to the previous channel of the same virtual tuner? I know there is a way to change between the virtual tuners, but I was wondering if there was a way.

Hong.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:01 PM   #637
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally posted by hongcho
I guess I will just ask it here instead of creating a new thread since it could be a FAQ...

So, when watching live, is there a way to go back to the previous channel of the same virtual tuner? I know there is a way to change between the virtual tuners, but I was wondering if there was a way.
Doesn't "Enter" function as a Last-Channel button? Not sure what the interaction is with two tuners. On the SAT-T60s, I always remember it wasn't quite what I expected.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:20 PM   #638
steveru

It's been a while since I have been on here to check updates, so please forgive me if I appear to beating a dead horse, but I for one will be very disappointed with TiVo if they do not offer a stand alone HD unit. I spent months of time researching the "perfect fit" HD receiver for my monitor and don't want to have to settle for the unit that comes with DirecTv. I have been a loyal TiVo fan since year one, but, if someone else beats TiVo to the punch on a standalone unit, I will be first in line to switch from TiVo.

steveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:29 PM   #639
acroswel

Quote:
Originally posted by steveru
It's been a while since I have been on here to check updates, so please forgive me if I appear to beating a dead horse, but I for one will be very disappointed with TiVo if they do not offer a stand alone HD unit. I spent months of time researching the "perfect fit" HD receiver for my monitor and don't want to have to settle for the unit that comes with DirecTv. I have been a loyal TiVo fan since year one, but, if someone else beats TiVo to the punch on a standalone unit, I will be first in line to switch from TiVo.
Zenith has had a standalone HD recorder out for months now:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...41524?v=glance
acroswel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:40 PM   #640
BrettStah

Check out the AVS Forum - HDTV Recorders Forum for more details on current HDTV recorders. There are a couple of standalones, but the last time I delved into them, they were lacking considerably when compared to Tivos. You can't watch a recording while something else is being recorded (deal-breaker for me), can only record one thing at a time, only buffers live TV when you press a specific button on the remote, only 8 hours of space, etc. Some/all may have been addressed via software/firmware updates or newer models, so check that forum for the most recent info...

Old 05-03-2004, 08:01 PM   #641
feldon23
MythBuster

Quote:
Originally posted by steveru
I for one will be very disappointed with TiVo if they do not offer a stand alone HD unit.
No such beast, nor will there likely ever be.

If you are just recording off rabbit ears, then look at the Zenith and other HD OTA recording options.

If you are a cable TV customer, then I expect TiVo to introduce a universal HDTiVo for cable using the OpenCable CableCard standard within the year.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:31 PM   #642
hongcho

> Doesn't "Enter" function as a Last-Channel button?

That worked. Thanks.

Hong.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:17 PM   #643
Todd76

Hong,

ENTER doesn't actually do exactly what you asked (previous channel on the same tuner). It will switch to the previous channel, which could be the same tuner or the other tuner. At least that's how it works on my DSR6000.
Todd76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:56 AM   #644
BBobley

FAQ Update: Ratio Doesn't work with 1080i

Feldon23,

Here's a possible update to your FAQ:

The Tivo manual (p. 30) indicates that by selecting the "panel" mode with the Ratio button on the remote, you can letterbox 16 x 9 material. This is very useful if you have a 4 x 3 HDTV display. But I think I now have confirmation that this feature doesn't work when your output mode is 1080i. It works fine with 480p output. I can't test 720p, because my display doesn't do 720p. I don't know if this is a bug or an oversight or what.

See this thread for more info:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=173377

Brett
BBobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:09 AM   #645
hongcho

> ENTER doesn't actually do exactly what you asked (previous channel on the same tuner). It will switch to the previous channel, which could be the same tuner or the other tuner. At least that's how it works on my DSR6000.

Yeah, I noticed that. But that's good enough for me.

Thanks.

Hong.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:16 AM   #646
kcwhitney

I have an SD level DTV Tivo, and will get the HD version as soon as it gets in stock around here. I want to use both in the same room. My question involves remotes. Will there be confusion between the units, or can I specifiy one remote for the SD unit and another remote for the HD?
kcwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:00 AM   #647
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by kcwhitney
I have an SD level DTV Tivo, and will get the HD version as soon as it gets in stock around here. I want to use both in the same room. My question involves remotes. Will there be confusion between the units, or can I specifiy one remote for the SD unit and another remote for the HD?
Haven't tried that yet, but it shouldn't be a problem. I will be trying it this weekend, I have a Hughes GXCEBOT and an HR10-250 in the same wrong; you can change the remote codes for these units by just going to the System information screen and just selecting "1" "2" or "3" on our remote, from what I recall...

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 08:06 AM   #648
BrettStah

Here's how to use two Tivos in the same room:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/tivo...lic/tv1087.htm

Old 05-07-2004, 10:07 PM   #649
stugrief

I've just hooked up my HR10-250. I am using an HDMI connection to a Pioneer Elite plasma. I have 2 satellite inputs and an off-air input connected to the HR10-250. Everything works fine when I am watching satellite stations: both the video and audio signals are passed to the Pioneer through the HDMI cable. But when I tune to an off-air station, only video comes through. No sound.

Any ideas why this may be happening?
stugrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:36 PM   #650
jautor
Also wants a pony

I'm guessing that your Pioneer isn't supporting Dolby Digital over HDMI... You can change the TiVo's audio output to be PCM (haven't tried this to see how it handles ATSC streams).

And if that doesn't work, run the analog L/R audio to the plasma, and keep the Toslink for your receiver...

Jeff
jautor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:35 PM   #651
bloozeman

Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23

If you are just recording off rabbit ears, then look at the Zenith and other HD OTA recording options.

If you are a cable TV customer, then I expect TiVo to introduce a universal HDTiVo for cable using the OpenCable CableCard standard within the year.
Okay now I'm bummed. I haven't checked on the status of the OTA standalone unit that Tivo debuted at CES last year since I knew they were planning on releasing it after the HDDirectTivo unit. I've held off buying a HD STB because I was waiting for the Tivo unit. I have no desire to pay my current DBS vendor (E*) nor D* for HD programming and I also have no desire to dump E* for D* SD programming.

Why do you think they'll do a cable version but not a standalone? They obviously already had a prototype and could use the same ATSC tuners in the one they have released now for DirectTV.

-Ray
bloozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:40 AM   #652
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by bloozeman
Why do you think they'll do a cable version but not a standalone? They obviously already had a prototype and could use the same ATSC tuners in the one they have released now for DirectTV.
TiVo's said many times they don't want to be in the hardware business. So a manufacturer has to consider the market worthy of producing TiVo's reference design and marketing and supporting it. I think that's mostly the reason. People don't really consider OTA-only as a complete solution for anyone, so it's not perceived to have a big market. And further since there's pretty small penetration of ATSC receivers in general, is that much smaller.

The promises of what the CableCard standard will bring in terms of being able to use it with most any cable system is a significantly different potential market. So I think there'll be much more interest from manufacturer partners than there possibly could be with OTA-only.

Old 05-08-2004, 05:29 PM   #653
gilcart

Bose 3-2-1

Guys,

I am anticipating my arrival Monday, getting ready...

Any ways I have a Bose 3-2-1 system, with Optical in, should I be using that connection with my HDTV TiVo? If so I have to pick up a cable tomorrow....

Any help would be appreciated, then, I then run the DVI to my Samsung 4235edtv for 780p......

Also, with my Bose, I will run a S - cable to my plasma for DVD playback, correct?

Thanks much
gilcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 06:36 PM   #654
Tom in OH

That sounds right Gil. At this page: http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/F...ma_SPN4235.htm

it shows your Samsung plasma will accept 480i/p, 720p, & 1080i but then at the bottom of the page it shows only 480i/p & 1080i. You might wanna try setting the HDTivo to output 720p and 1080i to see which looks best. What's the native format for your model? If it's 720p, that would be the best choice.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:44 PM   #655
gilcart

Thanks!!!

Yes, in my manual it says my plasma is best for 780p so that is whay i will try, only the eyes will tell!!
Old 05-08-2004, 07:09 PM   #656
Tom in OH

It says 780p? or do u mean 720p? It looks like a Very nice tv. The HDTivo should look fantastic! Enjoy. My HDTivo should be in within a week or so. I can hardly wait. If I hadn't already shaved my head, I'd be pullin' my hair out
Old 05-09-2004, 09:28 AM   #657
gilcart

Thumbs up

Meant 720p sorry, it was sat night and a beer was in my hand
Old 05-10-2004, 12:51 PM   #658
david(dallas)

Sorry if this has been asked. I did a search and found that their is a stand alone HD TIVO there.
But now that the DirecTV HD-TIVO is out (and I'm very disappointed in the HD PQ versus my Sony HD200), will there be any other companies coming out with a HD-TIVO? Or is DirecTV the only version due to whatever reasons?
david(dallas) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:19 PM   #659
leftcoastdave

[quote]Originally posted by david(dallas)
[b]....and I'm very disappointed in the HD PQ versus my Sony HD200...

I too was disappointed in the PQ of the 10-250 compared with my DTC100. I connected the DTC100 to the VGA port of my Pioneer Elite 620HD and had to connect the 10-250 to the component port using the supplied component cable because the Tivo has no VGA out.

On the Elite, the Pioneer locks the video controls and optimizes the color correction on the VGA port but does not do so on the component inputs.

When I first looked at the HD Tivo picture it was very dark compared to the DTC100. I initially suspected the supplied component cable was low quality but after tinkering with the TV's settings, I got the image to look a lot better. I had to raise the black levels substantially, increased the contrast slightly, and lowered the color setting a few notches. I have the sharpness, SVM, and tone controls all turned off.

I am going to take another look when I can flip between DirecTV and Expressvu to see how the PQ matches up on common programming, but right now it looks a lot better than it did initially.
leftcoastdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 02:39 PM   #660
steveru

Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23

The standalone units that are available don't cut it for me. And, I have DirecTv so the universal units for cable won't work for me. So, I guess I will be watching Replay to see if they come out with one. I hate to dump TiVo, but will in a heartbeat if Replay comes out with a standalone unit.

steveru is offline   Reply With Quote