TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #211
qposner

I am using #319 for the external modem setting. Is there another setting that will help it continue to negotiate? While I can easily complete a test call, my daily calls are not going through and I cannot force a daily call. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Quinn
qposner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 11:50 AM   #212
Lenco

Quinn,

I assume that since you are posting in this thread that you are using Vonage.

Have you checked the bandwith setting on your Vonage account? Set it to maximum.

Also, have you tried different TiVo phone numbers? If using Vonage, long distance should not matter.

Make sure that the number being dialed always starts with the number 1, ie, 1-123-456-7890. this is an option when you select a new dialing number.

Remove all but the ,#319 from the dialing options.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:33 PM   #213
qposner

I just bumped it up to the highest bw setting. I'll try to force a call later tonight to make sure the change takes place.

Thanks for the advice Lenco.

Quinn
Old 04-04-2004, 12:24 AM   #214
qposner

Well, the BW is set as high as possible but I still cannot complete a daily call. Its gets about 30min into its download before I get a "call interrupted message". I have tried various other area codes, but with the same result.
Any further thoughts/insights?
Thanks,
Quinn
Old 04-04-2004, 05:23 PM   #215
Lenco

Hang in there Quinn!

I just went through the same thing!

I took me most of an afternoon to get that download to complete. Just keep making the daily call. I believe that each time you connect you get more and more of the download. It should be downloading 3.1.1c (if you are at 3.1.1b now). When complete you will see "Pending".

Do a restart, the software will automatically install.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:36 PM   #216
cactus46

Quinn,

Try a slower modem speed with a Dial Prefix of ,#396. See if that will work better for you.

John

Quote:
Originally posted by qposner
Well, the BW is set as high as possible but I still cannot complete a daily call. Its gets about 30min into its download before I get a "call interrupted message". I have tried various other area codes, but with the same result.
Any further thoughts/insights?
Thanks,
Quinn

cactus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #217
qposner

I MIGHT be in. When I awoke this am, I checked the status. It said the system is "pending restart". I assume that means it downloaded everything and is waiting until 2am tonight to restart. Correct?

Thanks again,
Quinn
Old 04-05-2004, 01:19 PM   #218
Lenco

Actually, you can restart anytime! No need to wait.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:30 PM   #219
qposner

I assume a restart will retain all of my SP's, etc?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:33 PM   #220
aristoBrat

Yup. The only thing that should happen after your restart is that you have a newer version of software than you did before you start. The process is supposed to be seamless for the average person (unlike us TiVo freaks that are always poking around the menus) -- they more than likely wouldn't even know that it happened.
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:27 PM   #221
ckelly5
Denny Crane

For some sort of update on this sitch. I received the Mot ATA from vonage, and proceeded to hook up my Philips DSR704 to it. it tried to dial out, but no dice. I checked the vonage bandwidth setting, and tried several of the prefixes to no avail. For some reason the 9600 setting would appear to make the most progress, but would still give a "can not connect" error. I am going the route that dallas4u tried, and ordered an external kit from eksys.com. hopefully I will have that by the end of the week and can see how that works.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:19 PM   #222
dallas4u

Just to give you an update... it seems my unit has been trying to download the C update for around a month now and nevers finishes. I can update dialing numbers and make test calls fine but never finish the daily call... I use to be able to, but now it seems it states "Failed... Call Interupted" after around 20 minutes after every call. I have tried changing the number to different numbers throughout Oregon, plus the 212 number posted earlier, and 972 in Texas.

I will keep trying, hoping eventually it will finish the download.
dallas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:29 PM   #223
Lenco

dallas4u - " ... now it seems it states "Failed... Call Interrupted" after around 20 minutes after every call ..."

I went through the same thing dallas4u. It does not matter what phone number you use. I believe that every time you connect you get a little bit more of the software update. Eventually it WILL complete. When it does you will see "Pending system restart", or something similar.

I manually forced the call, waited for it to time out, just like you described, forced the call again. I repeated this until the download completed. You can then restart the unit so the update can install.

Hang in there and good luck.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:42 PM   #224
Lenco

ckelly5,

I spent a lot of time trying different things to get it to work and finally relalized that it was a waste of time. A quick trip to the "Shack" and an hour later I had a working solution.

Don't forget to try slower modem speeds with a Dial Prefix of ,#396 or ,#319.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:43 PM   #225
qposner

Dallas, I finally got everything working and it made its most recent weekly call with no problem. I am in Vancouver, WA (assuming you are in OR and thats why you are using OR #'s). I used a NY # and am not going to change anything. Just keep trying. It will work.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:58 AM   #226
dallas4u

Yup, I'm in Portland, and I used the 212 (NY or somewhere in Baltimore?) a few times with the same problem. I didn't have a problem completing the daily calls before it began the LONG downloads (which I am assuming at the C update). I thought that it was downloading pieces of the update and over time would install them and state "Pending system restart", but after complete call attempts not failed ones.

I have been using ,#319 which I believe is 19.2k baud. I have tried ,#311, #396 and both dialed and connected but would still fail. I thought maybe the ,#311 would fail because it was trying to connect too high (I believe ,#311 is 115k), but it doesn't look like it matters.

I guess I'll change it to ,#396 for a while and see if it will make a difference.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:59 PM   #227
qposner

#396 with the Vonage bandwith set to max is what I am using. The quality of my calls has not changed either when I am on the computer.

Off topic, how did that new Multnomah County tax feel? ;-)
Old 04-19-2004, 12:07 AM   #228
dallas4u

How did it feel? I feel like I want to move to Seattle!
Old 04-19-2004, 02:24 AM   #229
ckelly5
Denny Crane

well, after several attempts (and thinking that vonage was broken - turns out I had some of the key ports blocked via my router), I was able to get it working over vonage via the external modem. I am currently using the ,#319 setting, and it is downloading something big, hopefully the "C" upgrade. I have seen the "Call interrupted" message once already, and am using a 212 number (new york city) Time will tell as to if I get the "C" or not. All in all, mark this one a success via the external modem route.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:04 PM   #230
pigvig
TiVo Underling

Quote:
Originally posted by qposner
#396 with the Vonage bandwith set to max is what I am using.
What does #396 do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
connected!
pigvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:57 PM   #231
cactus46

It slows the communications speed with the external modem to 9600 baud and the string should be ,#396. It won't work without the comma-pound-3-9-6.

Quote:
Originally posted by pigvig
What does #396 do?

cactus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:20 PM   #232
pigvig
TiVo Underling

On a series 1 unit right? I didn't think the modem slowdown codes work on series 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
connected!
pigvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:25 PM   #233
voodoovid
TiVoholic

Just to confirm:

Tivo modem calls a LOCAL access number for all it's updates (and requires an external modem to work with Vonage)

Directv modem calls an 800 number to upload PPV etc (and doesn't require an external modem to work with Vonage)

Do I have it right (ie. Directv never uses LOCAL numbers)?

Thanks,

voodoovid
voodoovid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:27 PM   #234
strange_69

Yes, you have it right. Just plug a phone cord from your Tivo to the phone connection on your external modem and then plug you external modem into your phone jack. Then use the info in this thread and you should be good to go. Since most VOIPs do not charge extra for long distance you can play around with phone numbers until you can find one that works
strange_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 04:57 AM   #235
Sytar

A solution to try

Well with a bit of testing I found that I got my HDVR2 is the following:

First change the dialing prefix to be 1 - this is because Vonage needs 11 digit dialing.

Second add two pauses (a total of 4 seconds) by adding ",," to the Call Waiting Prefix - This gives the modem enough time to pick up before dialing.

Third change the Set Dial Tone Detection to OFF - This will allow the Tivo to attempt to dial even if it dosn't hear the specific tone that it expects for a dial tone.

That is all I needed. I didn't have to change any of the speeds or anything else. It worked fine.

Jerry T
Sytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 02:13 PM   #236
dem0n2001

i have a direct tv tivo..(phillips)i have seen so many post with so many different ways (and tried a few already) can somebody post the best steps to using it with vonage.?
dem0n2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 02:45 PM   #237
aristoBrat

Yeah, it would be cool to get a FAQ for this and have it stickied at the top of the forums...
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 02:50 PM   #238
chippyt

Sytar-

Is your solution without an external modem, just adding the 1 for 11 digit dialing, two commas and setting the Dial Tone Detection to OFF?

Has anyone else had luck with this?

I want to get Vonage, but the DirecTIVO issue and the fact that they don't have my area code are holding me back. If one or the other gets solved I may try it out.
All of them TwEaKeD out!!
chippyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 03:12 AM   #239
Sytar

Well this is kind of a strange setup. I am not exactly sure how it works, but with one unit, my Sony T-60 it completed the call with the internal modem and those settings. With the HDVR2 it was a bit more touchy. I was able to complete the test call about 3/5 of the time, and have yet to complete the full call. I am going to set them all up on the phone line even though I know I don't need to, and see if they can make the phone call work at some time.

I really don't want to use an external modem at all, so I think I will go with no call then add another peice of hardware that I don't want.
Sytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:54 AM   #240
ChiTownTimmay

I have the Moto ATA and hooked up a 33.6 external USR modem, i can dial out and connect but thats it. It will just sit there and make the annoying analog modem sounds and then disconnect. I'm not sure where to go with this. I took my Philips DVR704 over to a house with an analog line and completed the initial setup but in bringing it home and trying it out, no dice. QUESTION: For those of you who say you have used a different area code and number to dial since long distance service is included with Vonage, how did you get to change the number without having to put in the area code and having it dial the 800 number to search the database? Is that the only way? If thats the case then I'm dead in the water as well because I cannot complete a call.

I would imagine there has to be a fool-proof solution out there somewhere since it seems like a 50/50 ratio as to whether or not this works. Some people have absolutely no problem, and others, like myself, just cant get it to work. I do appreciate everyone's help thusfar though!
ChiTownTimmay is offline   Reply With Quote