TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2004, 09:05 AM   #181
deltwalrus

I see that auction you referred to, dallas4u. I think I have all that stuff, except for the TiVo serial cable. Does the particular model of modem matter? The one I have laying around at home is an old US Robotics 56k modem, not sure of the model #.

Last edited by deltwalrus : 03-23-2004 at 09:25 AM.
deltwalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 01:06 AM   #182
ChromeAce
Early Adopter

Dump Vonage. If you wanna save money for real, get a TurboNet in your TiVos so they can do their daily calls over the Internet directly. As for PPV, use DirecTV's website. It's free, and will save you some money. As for voice calls, use your cell phone.

I got Vonage over a year ago when no one else had it. It was cool. But I knew that converting a digital signal to analog so it could be carried acoustically on a digital network was insane. I got my T60s to call in a few times just to succeed at the challenge. I think I used ,#096 to force 9600bps.

DirecTV doesnt check caller ID (ANI) records anymore to see where the receivers are calling from unless you raise suspicion. I have 10 receivers in 2 different states (at 2 homes) both under one account in one city, all have access to the local channels of my home city. None call in, I order PPV on the web, and the DirecTiVos connect via broadband.
ChromeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:14 AM   #183
deltwalrus

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll keep Vonage, since I'm paying a third of what I paid SBC. And the TiVo calls are local calls, so how do you figure that makes any difference?

But I digress ...

If anyone has extra parts for this external modem setup, please PM me.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:19 PM   #184
ChromeAce
Early Adopter

Quote:
Originally posted by deltwalrus
Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll keep Vonage, since I'm paying a third of what I paid SBC. And the TiVo calls are local calls, so how do you figure that makes any difference?

But I digress ...

1/3 of SBC is still 100% too much if you don't need it. One less bill to pay. Use your cell phone for voice calls.
ChromeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 12:25 PM   #185
deltwalrus

... isn't this a TiVo board?
Old 03-25-2004, 01:50 PM   #186
astribli

Yup, and we are discussing using Tivo with Vonage phone service.....

Quote:
... isn't this a TiVo board?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
astribli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 02:11 PM   #187
deltwalrus

...not whether I should switch all my calls to my cell phone, which I may or may not have. Let's stay on topic.

So to summarize, the consensus seems to be that external modems are hit and miss, using the bare Vonage setup with no modification is nearly always unsuccessful, and going through a TiVoNet or other LAN method is easiest.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:21 PM   #188
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:

So to summarize, the consensus seems to be that external modems are hit and miss, using the bare Vonage setup with no modification is nearly always unsuccessful, and going through a TiVoNet or other LAN method is easiest.
I've found (as I think others have reported) that pay-per-view calls seem to go thru OK on Vonage, even though the daily calls won't. Is there consensus on that?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:28 PM   #189
bonscott87
Done.

My HDVR2 dials out to DirecTV just fine to report PPV and or keep my NFL Sunday Ticket on that box. But it doesn't dial out to Tivo obviously. But again, YMMV and it's possible that yours won't connect to DirecTV.

(2) DirecTivo's (R10, HDVR2), HR20, H21, Fortec Mercury II FTA receiver (Glorystar system)

HR20 help found at http://www.dbstalk.com
bonscott87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 02:05 AM   #190
astribli

Just the opposite. Using my external US Robotics 28.8 modem works like a charm every time with Vonage.

Quote:
...not whether I should switch all my calls to my cell phone, which I may or may not have. Let's stay on topic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
astribli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 10:11 AM   #191
dallas4u

Quote:
My dip switches on my external USR 33.6 modem are set up like the following:

1.\/ 2./\ 3.\/ 4./\ 5.\/ 6./\ 7./\ 8.\/

To recap, that's 1-down, 2-up, 3-down, 4-up, 5-down, 6-up, 7-up, 8-down.

Here's an interesting development. It's had no problems dialing out for around a month... until yesterday. I tried forcing a call (as I don't keep a phone line plugged in 24/7). It dialed out, connected, and started downloading. It looks like it's trying to download something large ("C" maybe?) as it stays connected, downloading dor around 15 minutes... then the "Phone in Use" light on my phone goes off. The status still shows "Downloading" on the DTivo, and "Phone in Use" on the DTivo as well for another minute or two, then I get the dreaded connection failed, call interrupted error. I tried 4-5 times and got the same error lastnight and this morning.

Not too sure what to do now but keep trying.
dallas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 10:35 AM   #192
wolftroy1

I'm having the same problem. I'm not too concerned at this point though. It will make the test calls with no problems but will not keep connected for a long period of time.
wolftroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 03:07 PM   #193
Rombaldi
MPEG Packet Picker

Quote:
Originally posted by SonyPlanet
Dump Vonage. If you wanna save money for real, get a TurboNet in your TiVos so they can do their daily calls over the Internet directly
Soon as you figure out how to put a TurboNet card in a HDVR2, ya'll let us know, 'k?
Rombaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 03:53 PM   #194
cactus46

A few weeks ago my stand-alone began experiencing problems dialing in with Vonage. An idea occurred to me about reducing some of the delay in the call by calling an access number in NYC, 212 area code. Since I'm using Vonage with 500 minutes a month, using an out of area number isn't a major consideration.

So far all of my calls for the past few days have been completing about 90% again. If you want the 212 access number, just ask. My HDVR2 is doing ok on the external modem dialing in on a local number.

John

Quote:
Originally posted by dallas4u

Here's an interesting development. It's had no problems dialing out for around a month... until yesterday. I tried forcing a call (as I don't keep a phone line plugged in 24/7). It dialed out, connected, and started downloading. It looks like it's trying to download something large ("C" maybe?) as it stays connected, downloading dor around 15 minutes... then the "Phone in Use" light on my phone goes off. The status still shows "Downloading" on the DTivo, and "Phone in Use" on the DTivo as well for another minute or two, then I get the dreaded connection failed, call interrupted error. I tried 4-5 times and got the same error lastnight and this morning.

Not too sure what to do now but keep trying.

Last edited by cactus46 : 03-27-2004 at 09:49 PM.
cactus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:45 PM   #195
pigvig
TiVo Underling

Quote:
Originally posted by tivoremedies
I got permission from Ryan M.(the tivo modem guy) to post his email address for you guys who are interested: tivogod@smgcommodities.com
I ordered a cable from Ryan, but I can't get it to work. When I try to dial out (using prefix ,#319) the modem blinks a couple of times but then fails.

I sent Ryan several emails but no response. His website seems to be offline as well. Do you have any additional contacts for him?

thanks,

connected!

Last edited by pigvig : 03-29-2004 at 09:18 PM.
pigvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:35 AM   #196
wolftroy1

Trying the suggestion of cactus46 I set my dial in number to Baltimore, MD (I live in Tacoma, WA). Prior to this I had software version 3.0.0, after a succesful early morning call and next day reboot, I now have software version 3.1.1b.
So it seems best to long distance the call with Vonage.
wolftroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 12:32 PM   #197
pigvig
TiVo Underling

Update: I finally got the modem to dial by setting the #1 dip switch low (down). There was no problem with the cable. FWIW, I took it apart and inspected it - very professional product.

Subsequently, I had reprogrammed the modem (connected to COM2 on my PC with Hyperterminal connected directly to COM2) using these codes:

AT&R1
AT&S0
AT&N10
AT&U6
AT&W0

At first, this setup worked over my POTS line, but now seems to disconnect as it is negotiating a connection (both Vonage and POTS).

A friend with Vonage had to get a setting on his account modifyed to work with his ADT security system. The setting is "packetization period" and the value is 10ms. This was late last night, and I have not had the opportunity to do any more testing.

Boy how I wish I could just network this machine....

connected!
Old 03-31-2004, 05:15 PM   #198
Lenco

My Vonage Experience ...

Ever since 3.1.1.c was introduced into the pipeline last month my unit could not complete a call successfully. Prior to this it would complete approximately 80% of the calls. Coincidence? I was still running 3.1.1.b.

After some deliberation I decided to make the serial cable using instructions found in this thread (Thank You!) and connected it to a spare US Robotics 56k modem.

My first test was a bit confusing. I made the cable, connected it to the unit and tried a test call. Every time it went Off Hook and heard the dial tone it would just stop and never dial.

I re-examine the cable and found it to be correct. I started the test process again and this time I picked up on the fact that I was hearing the “Stuttering” dial tone. Meaning a voice-mail message was waiting for my intervention.

I took care of this new message. Repeating the test process I heard the “Solid” dial tone. This time the modem dialed properly, connected and life is good again.

I did all of this about two weeks ago. Finally, today I received the 3.1.1.c update. It took many calls, approx 12 to finish the download but it worked!

Thanks to all for the information, reading and entertainment!

I also noted that TechTV had planned on having a host on talking about TiVO. Their web site made reference to this forum, very cool!

Old 03-31-2004, 08:53 PM   #199
pigvig
TiVo Underling

I tested the modem again tonight, and it is still disconnecting during the dialing process - right when the "negotiation" gets to the static sounding part. This happens on both POTS and Vongage, so I think this is a modem or Tivo issue.

Anybody got any ideas???

FWIW, my DSR-7000 was upgraded to 3.1.1c a few days ago.

connected!
Old 03-31-2004, 09:28 PM   #200
Lenco

Quote:
Anybody got any ideas???
Do you have access to another modem? Just for Shxts & Grins to test?

Don't want to see you beat up yourself just yet without testing!
Old 04-01-2004, 06:50 AM   #201
pigvig
TiVo Underling

Yes, I have another. I just need to reprogram it and test.

Thanks!

connected!
Old 04-01-2004, 12:58 PM   #202
PrimusSucks
It's a band...

Any FWD (freeworlddialup) success stories?

They let you call 1-800 numbers without any plan. I tried yesterday, no success though.
PrimusSucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 01:05 PM   #203
cactus46

I'm glad that using an NE Coast access number worked for you, wolftroy. My reasoning for using NYC was because I figured that the Vonage main switch was in or around Edison, NJ. Using a local Phoenix access number would introduce twice as much delay since the call would have to go through twice as many routers/switches to go from Phoenix via the Internet, to NJ, and then back to the Phoenix local access number.

And therefore, using a number close to NJ would eliminate much of delay introduced by the Internet.

Just my theory.

John

Quote:
Originally posted by wolftroy1
Trying the suggestion of cactus46 I set my dial in number to Baltimore, MD (I live in Tacoma, WA). Prior to this I had software version 3.0.0, after a succesful early morning call and next day reboot, I now have software version 3.1.1b.
So it seems best to long distance the call with Vonage.

Old 04-01-2004, 01:30 PM   #204
pigvig
TiVo Underling

Are you saying/thinking that Vonage calls in Phoenix travel through the internet to a POTS switch in New York?

connected!
Old 04-01-2004, 04:32 PM   #205
cactus46

All calls made on Vonage travel via the internet to Vonage's main switch which I believe is in New Jersey. How it goes from the Vonage switch on to the Public Switched Telephone Network, PSTN, I don't know.

However, using Vonage to make the TiVo Daily Call using a local Phoenix number would at the very least route over the Internet to NJ and either via the PSTN or over the Internet back to the local Phoenix access number. The receive data from TiVo would then travel to the local access number back to the Vonage switch and come back over the Internet to my TiVo.

These delays caused by the Internet are tough for 56k modems with send and receive data. So by cutting the distance traveled by the Daily Call and slowing modems down with the external modems, for instance, many of us have found success with Vonage. Overall, slower external modems are more tolerant of the Vonage/Internet delays. My HDVR successfully completes its calls with a USR 33.6 external modem and the local Phoenix access number.

And on my series 1 TiVo after it quit working with local Phoenix numbers with its internal modem and then trying with the NYC number, it began completing its calls again. There are so many variables on Internet connections though, it is hard to say that one size fits all.

I hope this overly simplified explanation is reasonably clear?

John

Quote:
Originally posted by pigvig
Are you saying/thinking that Vonage calls in Phoenix travel through the internet to a POTS switch in New York?

Last edited by cactus46 : 04-01-2004 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:27 PM   #206
pigvig
TiVo Underling

Yes, the clarification helped. I had no idea Vonage had only one main switch into the POTS/PSTN.

BTW/FYI - I tried another modem today (56k instead of a 28.8) and my calls are working now! Hopefully this ordeal is behind me.

Now I just need to replace the 56k modem I borrowed from a friend

connected!
Old 04-01-2004, 07:56 PM   #207
qposner

I have my external modem set-up and ready to go. It will dial out to the access # programed into the DTivo, but I get a "you've reached a disconnected message". Therefore, I cannot connect to anything. Does anyone know an access # I can put in? If so, how do I change the faulty one already there?

Thanks,
Quinn
qposner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:14 PM   #208
qposner

OK, I got it to dial out and connect (I was putting a ,#319,1360" and got rid of the ",1360" (area code). Anyhow, it has sat on "negotiating" for 5 minutes now. How long does it take to get the local #'s????
Old 04-01-2004, 09:10 PM   #209
pigvig
TiVo Underling

I had this happen once. For some reason the call just got stuck. I reset the modem, waited for the Tivo to time out, tried again and it worked.

I bet most Tivos dial out multiple times to complete calls sometimes.

connected!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:15 PM   #210
qposner

Yeah, it finally connected and I received my local #'s. I tried to force 2 daily calls and it will not connect stating it is still dealing with the last call and then goes into "Housekeeping" mode. It had a call scheduled for 7:15pm PST but it ailed. Another one is set for 12:15 tonight. I guess I will see how that goes tomorrow morning.