TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2004, 04:37 PM   #571
Tom in OH

Ed, glad u came thru your antenna aiming without any injuries, sounds like it was quite a job. It reminds me of aiming the Phase 3 dish last Spring on my roof. I held the cordless phone w/earpiece and the wifey watched the signal meter. Sort of fun in a way but tedious.

I guess being in the attic will help prevent corrosion and u certainly won't have any trouble with wind but I bet your signal strength would jump if the antenna was outside. U must've been acting as a reflector to the signal given your different results while moving about.

It's lucky u don't have to worry about picking up any VHF signals. I only have one VHF (NBC channel 2)which required a much bigger antenna than a UHF only(all the rest are UHF). I'm about 70 miles from the towers so I've got to get that baby high and directed perfectly but it should work. I just hope the wind doesn't blow it down. I just brought home the RS VU-190XR - almost 14 feet long. Supposed to bring in UHF from 100 miles. We'll see..... (I might have to ask Doug to hold the ladder and catch me if(when) I fall...
Old 03-30-2004, 05:00 PM   #572
edrock200

Good luck Tom! Let us know how it goes. The attic install was more for convenience. After looking through teh baltimore/dc thread at AVS I might move it to the roof but I'm not sure. There are occasional glitches in the signal that would probably go away if it were mounted on the roof...
Old 03-30-2004, 05:18 PM   #573
Tom in OH

I bet your signal would be much stronger outside and also being in the attic, u might lose the signal completely if it rains, is foggy or snows. I can see your point on the convenience factor. I wish the attic idea would work here.

All u'd need for a roof instal is a tripod from Radio Shack ($27), a 5 foot mast(~$10) and ground cable.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:21 PM   #574
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom in OH
All u'd need for a roof instal is a tripod from Radio Shack ($27), a 5 foot mast(~$10) and ground cable.
and... a ladder, maybe some rope anchored to a fixed structure to tie around your waist, cleated shoes (if a very sloped roof -- old tennis shoes with screws driven into them can work), a drill (and long drill bit) to make a hole to get the cable inside, and some caulk or putty to seal the hole around the cabling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 05:28 PM   #575
Tom in OH

official catcher

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
and... a ladder, maybe some rope anchored to a fixed structure to tie around your waist, cleated shoes (if a very sloped roof -- old tennis shoes with screws driven into them can work), a drill (and long drill bit) to make a hole to get the cable inside, and some caulk or putty to seal the hole around the cabling.
yes, yes, yes, but that's stuff guys like us have lying 'round the house from previous projects...

u forgot to mention he'll also need U for roof catching.....
Old 03-30-2004, 05:41 PM   #576
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: official catcher

Quote:
yes, yes, yes, but that's stuff guys like us have lying 'round the house from previous projects...

u forgot to mention he'll also need U for roof catching.....
And then there's the "Real men don't need rope or special shoes" factor if you're being watched while you install it by neighbors/family...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:48 PM   #577
Tom in OH

official tools

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
And then there's the "Real men don't need rope or special shoes" factor if you're being watched while you install it by neighbors/family...
expected u to say u didn't have a 'long drill' lying around the house... but I wouldn't believe u... I bet u have plenty of caulk too...
Old 03-30-2004, 05:51 PM   #578
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: official tools

Quote:
expected u to say u didn't have a 'long drill' lying around the house... but I wouldn't believe u... I bet u have plenty of caulk too...
Having just remodeled my kitchen a little over a year ago, I have almost every necessary (and unnecessary) tool to rip any size or shape hole in almost any type of material. And I have the supplies to seal it back up again.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:08 PM   #579
Bigg

For those with a VHF channel, if the VHF channel is like 30 mi away, can you just take a pair of rabbit ears for VHF and a UHF only rooftop and then combine the signal with a bakcwards cable splitter? Or am I totally off???
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 07:32 PM   #580
Tom in OH

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigg
For those with a VHF channel, if the VHF channel is like 30 mi away, can you just take a pair of rabbit ears for VHF and a UHF only rooftop and then combine the signal with a bakcwards cable splitter? Or am I totally off???
that might work just fine since VHF is supposedly easier to receive than UHF, especially if someone is close. Unfortunately many of us are much further away than 30miles. But good idea. A smaller antenna outside on the roof would be much less susceptible to winds.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:45 AM   #581
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Any signal combination like that will result in a ton of interference, and an almost unusable end result. You need to filter each half before merging them.

For example, you could filter all UHF from the VHF cable, and all VHF from the UHF cable, and then try that. Or even better get a modulator, take the VHF channel you want, and modulate it to a specific spot on the UHF cable (rather than merging the entire feed from both).

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:31 AM   #582
Tom in OH

I've never tried combining the UHF and VHF signals from 2 different antennas but u might be right about the interference. How then do VHF/UHF/FM antennas deal with this issue?

Thx, Tom
Old 04-01-2004, 08:42 AM   #583
Darin
Way Left

If it's all coming from a single antenna, its' not an issue because there's only one source. It's not that VHF interferes with UHF, it's that there are two sources that could be picking up the same signal, and if they're out of phase in the slightest they interfere with each other. But you can easily and cheaply combine separate UHF and VHF antennas with a joiner meant specifically for that purpose, such as the 0549 shown at the bottom of this page. I'm doing that now with a separate VHF and UHF antenna on my roof, and I also have one of the jointennas to merge in a signal from a third antenna for a single station in the opposite direction.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:57 AM   #584
Tom in OH

Thx Darin for the input. I might need that webpage in the future. Your roof must look very kewl(if u ask me) but also u must have a Very easy going wife. Mine has complained ever since she saw the size of the ota I brought home and it's not even on the roof yet....
Old 04-01-2004, 09:17 AM   #585
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Yup, that'll do the trick. Those Jointenna's are performing the filtering before merging, so you don't get the cross interference. I like the ones on the top of the page that do it for a specific channel, much better than modulating out through some other device.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:45 AM   #586
Darin
Way Left

Quote:
Your roof must look very kewl(if u ask me)

Heh, well, it does look kinda funny. I've got a mast in the middle at the very peak with the UHF and VHF antenna on it (the third OTA is in the attic), a Dish500 at one corner for 110 & 119, and a 30" at the opposite for 101. I've thought about putting flashing lights on them for kitch factor, but that's another project I'd never finish.
Quote:
but also u must have a Very easy going wife.
You still have much to learn.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 10:20 AM   #587
edrock200

Quote:
Originally posted by Darin

You still have much to learn.
LOL!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:22 AM   #588
Toeside
Circa Dec 2005

Quote:
Originally posted by Darin

You still have much to learn. [/b]
He must me a newbie. I was wondering how you'd reply to that statement.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:18 PM   #589
Bigg

Nice sounding anetnna setup. thx for the info on UHF and VHF combing. The UHF and VHF antenna combiner will be useful when I get HD, with NBC and CBS on UHF aways away, and ABC on VHF practically right next door (I get their analog with a coathangar).
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 05:54 PM   #590
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Hey guys, need a little help. I got a new Phase III dish. I want to run Feldon's first scenario where I have 2 outputs of the dish go into a 2x4 multiswitch and 2 going to the HDtivo when I get it. (in the mean time I will have an HD receiver plugged in). However the Phase III dish has no labels for the outputs. How do I know which ones point to what satellites?

-DTF

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:00 PM   #591
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidTigerFan
Hey guys, need a little help. I got a new Phase III dish. I want to run Feldon's first scenario where I have 2 outputs of the dish go into a 2x4 multiswitch and 2 going to the HDtivo when I get it. (in the mean time I will have an HD receiver plugged in). However the Phase III dish has no labels for the outputs. How do I know which ones point to what satellites?
It doesn't matter. The Phase III dish has a built-in multiswitch. The 2x4 multiswitch you have will send 13v to whatever is connected to one input and 17v to whatever is connected to the other input. The voltage will tell the built-in multiswitch what signal to pass through to it. All will work as designed.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:20 PM   #592
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Ahh thank you doug!

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 02:25 AM   #593
Special_Ed21
TiVo Geek

Re: yet antother use for native output

Quote:
Originally posted by mjones
Another good use for native output from an STB is the ability to have a specific device do the scaling.

For example, the Samsung HLN617w DLP set will accept both 720p and 1080i signals. The display is a 720p native display, but uses a Faroudja for signal conversion. That chipset is arguably one of the best available for signal conversion in the digital domain.

In my setup I have a Samsung SIRT165 STB which has a physical output selector switch for a single output resolution connected to my Samsung DLP. Nearly every HD program I watch is on CBS which broadcast a 1080i native signal. If I set the STB to output 720 (which most people would recommend because it is the native resolution of the display) CBS looks 'horrible' compared to the following alternative. Set the STB to output 1080i (native resolution of the broadcast) and let the DLP do the side-conversion to 720p via the Faroudja chipset, this method looks far superior.

The problem then works in reverse. With the STB in 1080i and watching ABC (720p native), the STB performs the conversion (from 720p to 1080i) then the TV converts it again (from 1080i back to 720p) and ABC also looks 'horrible.'

Fortunately for me, I pretty much only watch CBS and NBC (1080i native) so I leave the STB set to 1080i letting my DLP side-convert to its native resolution of 720p. With the switch on the back of the STB, I almost never even bother watching 720p native shows.

Therefore, I would love to have native passthrough, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either (due to my viewing habbits)

Mike
I have the Samsung HLN617w DLP and have pre-ordered the HR10-250 HD. It looks like I will be switching resolutions often using the up arrow on the remote or the front panel switch. Unfortunately my mother is very tech challenged and will be very confused as to which resolution to use and will probably just watch whatever setting it happens to be on.

I want to know if the SD signals will look better with the DVI output than my current Hughes HDVR2 S-video output. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Special_Ed21 : 04-06-2004 at 02:31 AM.
Special_Ed21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:41 AM   #594
matL

detail on cables?

from the FAQ, I see cables are included :-) All this waiting is getting to me & I was thinking I could go buy something - to be 'ready'.

Anyone have details on the supplied cable size/ quality (subjective) that come with?
Thanks

*edit* found the types withing this post - still wondering if anyone has LENGTH and 'quality'?

Last edited by matL : 04-06-2004 at 11:38 AM.
matL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:57 AM   #595
Tom in OH

Re: Re: yet antother use for native output

Quote:
Originally posted by Special_Ed21

I want to know if the SD signals will look better with the DVI output than my current Hughes HDVR2 S-video output. Any thoughts on this?
The HDMI-->DVI cable will strip the audio but will keep the video signal in all its digital glory. I've heard the DVI output refered to as a "bit bucket" which means it sends a uncompressed digital signal to your display device. It certainly would be well worth a try using the DVI input on your DLP opposed to the s-video for SD channels. My bet is they'll look much better.

Last edited by Tom in OH : 04-06-2004 at 10:13 AM.
Tom in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:11 AM   #596
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Re: Re: yet antother use for native output

Quote:
Originally posted by Special_Ed21
I currently let my Samsung TS360 HD receiver scale my HDVR2 to 720p (from S-video) to drive my HLN467W. While the black level is incorrectly elevated on the HDVR2 compared to the TS360's own video, there appears to be no other issues, and the HD TiVo would not have the Black problem. I would also note that while my TS360 supports Native output I stopped using it because the HLN blanking and flashing when clicking thru stations (as it tried to scale each differently) was very annoying. Sharpness on the HLN seems to be a significant factor on SD -- I've settled on 30, since it seems to to affect HD much no matter where it's set.

So I'm planning to just let the HD TiVo output 720p, except when watching in the bedroom via a modulator.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:24 AM   #597
bkdtv

Re-posted from another thread...

Quote:
The layout on that motherboard does look darned close to the current SD series 2 in your EZ-Bracket photos. But that extra RF cannister up front is certain to be in the way if that exists on the production units too.
We know that the current DirecTivo uses the Broadcom BCM702x chip for its graphics and PVR functionality. This chip supports HD, when supplied with the appropriate memory and output circuitry (which obviously the Series2 does not have). Dish Network uses the BCM702x in their Dish 921 PVR.

From this press release back in January, we know that the HDTV DirecTivo uses a newer-generation BCM7037 chip. Unfortunately, Broadcom doesn't provide documentation on the BCM7037.

Broadcom does provide information on the BCM7035 and BCM7038. The BCM7035 offers comparable functionality to the BCM7020 used in the current Series2 Tivo, but with a dedicated 3D engine. The BCM7038 offers a number of key improvements over the BCM7035, including 3/2 pull-down with automatic scene detection, built-in DVI-HDMI transmitter, an Ethernet MAC/PHY, dual USB 2.0 and dual SATA controllers, and a 3D comb filter for SD analog outputs.

It's not clear what features the BCM7037--used in the HDTV DirecTivo--is missing from the BCM7038. What is obvious: the BCM7037 in the HDTV DirecTivo is a significant step-up from the BCM702x used in the SD DirecTivo and the Dish 921 HD PVR.

Another interesting bit...

The BCM7038 product brief mentions a BCM3520 VSB/QAM demod. There is no other mention of the BCM3520 on Broadcom's web site.

The 2+year old BCM3510 is the VSB/QAM demod used in the Dish 921HD PVR. It delivers acceptable off-air reception for local signals, but doesn't equal the reception performance of the newest DirecTV HD STBs. It is at least possible that the HDTV DirecTivo uses the unannounced BCM3520 part, but it's not clear what improvements this will offer.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:13 PM   #598
Hootydog

Quote:
Originally posted by edrock200
Yes thanks to DSwallow's advice I got a CM 4228 antenna and a CM 7777 pre-amp. This combination got me the big 4, PBS and the WB in HD and I live far from the towers. My other antenna and preamp just couldn't do it.
Same set up here with great results from 30 miles away from Sutro tower behind the East Bay hills.
Chappy
Hootydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 05:36 PM   #599
midas
I heard that

What's the difference between a regular amp and a pre-amp?
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #600
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by midas
What's the difference between a regular amp and a pre-amp?
I can kind of answer that.

Read this: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/basics.html

A weak signal traveling through a length of coax loses some of its power for every foot it travels (about 1db per 18 feet or so, depending on the cable); that is the noise floor and the signal peaks become closer together. When you get to your receiver there can be little difference between the two, and the receiver is unable to do anything with it.

For that reason, you want to amplify the signal as close to the source as you can and use a pre-amplifier that adds as little noise to the signal as possible. The job of the pre-amp is to boost the signal to offset loss down the transmission line.

The most important factor is the signal-to-noise ratio; you need a certain ratio or higher for a receiver to be able to do anything with the signal. So by amplifying as close to the antenna as you can, you have the best chance of actually improving the ratio so that it can survive any loss through the rest of the transmission system.

An amplifier (or really, a distribution amplifier) is designed to boost the signal sufficiently along the transmission path to deal with loss through splitters or longer runs of cable.

Is there any real difference beyond the usual differences in design between models and manufacturers? I don't think so -- of course those differences between models and manufacturers are important. But amplifying a signal at the receiver is practically useless since there's nothing it can do the receiver couldn't do itself; there's no loss to pre-compensate for at that point; you've already lost your signal.

The antenna's gonna get you all the signal you can get. Now the job of the pre-amp, any other amplifiers is to get as much of that signal as possible to your receiver; without decreasing or only minimally decreasing the signal-to-noise ratio.