TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-28-2004, 03:38 PM   #541
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by chadfetter
When is the latest date that these will be released to the public?
The first shipments begin 3/31. It'll probably be towards the end of April or early May when they're more readily available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 06:23 PM   #542
hongcho

Tom, I am about 40 miles off, I think.

Hong.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:56 PM   #543
whsbuss
Advanced Member

HD Formats

Does anyone know if the HR10-250 will indicate the format source (480i/730p/1080i) being received? If so, will the front panel LEDs indicate the format or maybe on-screen?

Its hard to remember what locals broadcast what format (ABC,NBC,PBS.etc.)
whsbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 06:03 PM   #544
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Do you really care about the source format? Won't you just fix it so the HD Tivo outputs at 720p or 1080i?

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 06:06 PM   #545
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: HD Formats

Quote:
Originally posted by whsbuss
Does anyone know if the HR10-250 will indicate the format source (480i/730p/1080i) being received? If so, will the front panel LEDs indicate the format or maybe on-screen?

Its hard to remember what locals broadcast what format (ABC,NBC,PBS.etc.)
It would appear the front panel has lights to indicate the output format selected: http://www.cesweb.org/shared_files/i...nphoto2787.jpg

Old 03-29-2004, 06:09 PM   #546
whsbuss
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AbMagFab
Do you really care about the source format? Won't you just fix it so the HD Tivo outputs at 720p or 1080i?
Well if I set the default HD Tivo output format to 720p and my local OTA CBS is broadcasting in 1080i I would want the output in 1080i, right?

THe HLN-467W is a native 720p display.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:10 PM   #547
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by AbMagFab
Most will; those that want to let another device do stretching on 4:3 material would more than likely be the ones needing to switch between format.

The same would apply to those that want another device to handle the output format conversions for 16:9 material, though I'd expect there'd be less benefit for most people over just letting the HD DVR do it.

As an example, my Fujitsu P50 plasma display can do non-linear stretching on 480i and 480p signals only; so unless I want to watch all 4:3 material with sidebars or linearly stretched (and I don't), I'll be switching formats depending on the source material that was recorded.

Old 03-29-2004, 06:12 PM   #548
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by whsbuss
Well if I set the default HD Tivo output format to 720p and my local OTA CBS is broadcasting in 1080i I would want the output in 1080i, right?

THe HLN-467W is a native 720p display.
No you won't have to switch, the TiVo will handle that sort of conversion. Whatever the unit receives will be sent to the display device in the output format you select. If your HLN-476W is a native 720p display, you'll probably want to leave the DVR outputting 720p. If your display can do conversions on the signal on its own, and those conversions are different than what are built into the DVR, then you might want to switch output formats at times.

Old 03-29-2004, 06:12 PM   #549
whsbuss
Advanced Member

Re: Re: HD Formats

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
It would appear the front panel has lights to indicate the output format selected: http://www.cesweb.org/shared_files/i...nphoto2787.jpg
Yea, it sure looks that way. And using the UP arrow on the peanut would toggle through the LEDs.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:19 PM   #550
whsbuss
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
No you won't have to switch, the TiVo will handle that sort of conversion. Whatever the unit receives will be sent to the display device in the output format you select. If your HLN-476W is a native 720p display, you'll probably want to leave the DVR outputting 720p. If your display can do conversions on the signal on its own, and those conversions are different than what are built into the DVR, then you might want to switch output formats at times.
The HLN-467 uses the Faroudja Film mode to do all format conversions. I gotta believe this is a better system than the HD Tivo has. So I would want any 1080i source fed directly to the HDTV DVI input.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:25 PM   #551
hongcho

> Does anyone know if the HR10-250 will indicate the format source (480i/730p/1080i) being received?

I am not sure about the source format (is this important?). It is supposed to indicate what the output format is.

Hong.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:26 PM   #552
hongcho

> So I would want any 1080i source fed directly to the HDTV DVI input.

Then set your HR10-250's output format to 1080i.

Hong.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:32 PM   #553
whsbuss
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hongcho
> So I would want any 1080i source fed directly to the HDTV DVI input.

Then set your HR10-250's output format to 1080i.

Hong.
That's my point. When the source format is 1080i, I would want the HD Tivo output format to match, i.e. 1080i. But when the source format is 720p, I want the output format to match. That's why it would be helpful for some sort of source format indicator. My current Moto OTA receiver has it on the display screen.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:39 PM   #554
hongcho

My Toshiba DST-3000 didn't have one. And I haven't seen any report of HR10-250 having one for the source format.

There have been several requests from others about adding some sort of source-format-to-output-format mapping configuration, but I doubt we will see that soon from DirecTV/TiVo.

Hong.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:00 PM   #555
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by hongcho
My Toshiba DST-3000 didn't have one. And I haven't seen any report of HR10-250 having one for the source format.

There have been several requests from others about adding some sort of source-format-to-output-format mapping configuration, but I doubt we will see that soon from DirecTV/TiVo.
For that we have the TiVo Underground. I'm sure someone will figure out a way, if it's possible at all.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:56 AM   #556
webini

Here's a question that I have not seen an answer for. I apologize in advance if it has already been answered!

What about a cable input? I still use basic cable for the local channels that are not yet broadcasting in digital. So I would have 2 D* inputs, one OTA input. What about the cable input? Is there one? Or do I diplex?

Mark
webini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:01 AM   #557
midas
I heard that

Nope, can't hook up your cable to it.
midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:29 AM   #558
webini

Not even through a diplexer? This is a show stopper for me (WAF).
webini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:33 AM   #559
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by webini
Not even through a diplexer? This is a show stopper for me (WAF).
The HD DVR has no way to encode analog signals. It can only deal with OTA digital and DirecTV inputs since those are already encoded. Remember, even "live TV" on the DVR is actually recorded on the hard drive and played back immediately, so an encoded signal is an absolute must.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:43 AM   #560
Tom in OH

tv tuner

Quote:
Originally posted by webini
Here's a question that I have not seen an answer for. I apologize in advance if it has already been answered!

What about a cable input? I still use basic cable for the local channels that are not yet broadcasting in digital.

Mark
can u connect your analog cable directly to your ANT input on your tv and use the tv's tuner for cable channels?
Old 03-30-2004, 11:02 AM   #561
feldon23
MythBuster

Keeping in mind that the Channel Master 4228 is an awesome antenna. It more than makes up for any limitations in the Toshiba.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:05 PM   #562
edrock200

Yes thanks to DSwallow's advice I got a CM 4228 antenna and a CM 7777 pre-amp. This combination got me the big 4, PBS and the WB in HD and I live far from the towers. My other antenna and preamp just couldn't do it.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:15 PM   #563
Tom in OH

ota

edrock200 -

I'm installing an ota also, how far away are u from the towers?... just curious.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:27 PM   #564
midas
I heard that

Just remember, the CM4228 is a UHF only antenna. If you need VHF, it won't do it.
midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 12:38 PM   #565
rogelah

How are the OTA channels distinguished from the local channels. On my Sony SAT-HD100 locals are just 2, 4, 6,... and the OTAs are 2.1, 4.1,6.1,...
rogelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 12:45 PM   #566
feldon23
MythBuster

Analog locals are just 2, 4, 6
Digital locals are just 2.1, 4.1, 6.1

Or if they get really fancy, 2-1, 4-1, and 6-1.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:54 PM   #567
Tom in OH

uhf

Quote:
Originally posted by midas
Just remember, the CM4228 is a UHF only antenna. If you need VHF, it won't do it.
good point, I had to go with a gigantic 14 footer just to pick up NBC (channel 2). I much would've rather bought the smallish uhf type.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:58 PM   #568
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by midas
It can be good enough up around VHF12 and VHF13 though. If the signal is sufficiently strong from the transmitter.

Old 03-30-2004, 03:57 PM   #569
edrock200

Re: ota

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom in OH
edrock200 -

I'm installing an ota also, how far away are u from the towers?... just curious.
Well I just looked it up again and I'm not as far as I thought, about 30 miles or so. I had a heck of a time getting the WB, just ask DSwallow about my PM harassment. I had a VHF/UHF antenna in my addic, not sure which model, and a winegard ap-8700 preamp and the WB would not come in, the big 4 would but with problems.

Once I got the CM7777 the big 4 came in fine but the WB was still a no go. Once I got the CM 4228 antenna I got the WB, PBS and several other local digital channels in addition to the big 4.

The biggest time consumer though was aiming. It took me forever to get it right and it could still use some tweaking. I will order a mount with rotator so I can tweak it at my tv. For me aiming was hard because being in the addic seems to affect the signal.

My wife was downstairs watching the TV (the signal meter on the ts360 is crap so we had to actually watch the channels) and I was in the addic aiming. Sometimes standing in certain parts of the addic would make a channel come in whereas standing in other parts would weaken it. And it's not areas you would think, I wasn't standing in front of it or behind it, I would be off to the side or far in the corners. I'd get all the channels to come in, then I'd leave the addic and and soon as I exited the signal would get blocky. So it took a lot of guessing and checking. I almost fell off my ladder like 3 times.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:07 PM   #570
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: Re: ota

Quote:
Originally posted by edrock200
Well I just looked it up again and I'm not as far as I thought, about 30 miles or so. I had a heck of a time getting the WB, just ask DSwallow about my PM harassment. I had a VHF/UHF antenna in my addic, not sure which model, and a winegard ap-8700 preamp and the WB would not come in, the big 4 would but with problems.

Once I got the CM7777 the big 4 came in fine but the WB was still a no go. Once I got the CM 4228 antenna I got the WB, PBS and several other local digital channels in addition to the big 4.

The biggest time consumer though was aiming. It took me forever to get it right and it could still use some tweaking. I will order a mount with rotator so I can tweak it at my tv. For me aiming was hard because being in the addic seems to affect the signal.

My wife was downstairs watching the TV (the signal meter on the ts360 is crap so we had to actually watch the channels) and I was in the addic aiming. Sometimes standing in certain parts of the addic would make a channel come in whereas standing in other parts would weaken it. And it's not areas you would think, I wasn't standing in front of it or behind it, I would be off to the side or far in the corners. I'd get all the channels to come in, then I'd leave the addic and and soon as I exited the signal would get blocky. So it took a lot of guessing and checking. I almost fell off my ladder like 3 times.
What kind of insulation was in your attic, Ed? You sound a little stuffed up; you keep saying addic.