TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2004, 01:02 PM   #481
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by Baracuda
Hitachi just announced a 400gig Deskstar. The article specifically mentioned PVRs as it's target :-)
I'm not sure I'll ever buy a Hitachi (aka IBM) drive again in my lifetime. Way too much experience recently with Deskstar drive failures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 01:19 PM   #482
Baracuda
Large Member

Well, the HD makers all have their day in the sun, then overproduce and go to hell. I agree with you. I would not want to buy a "DeathStar" at this point.
Baracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 12:19 PM   #483
Tom in OH

Can anyone confirm if the HD DVR250 will record and play back DD 5.1 if it's broadcast with the event?
Old 03-14-2004, 01:01 PM   #484
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom in OH
Can anyone confirm if the HD DVR250 will record and play back DD 5.1 if it's broadcast with the event?
No reason to think it won't given that DirecTV/TiVo combo boxes to date have had that capability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 01:01 PM   #485
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom in OH
Yes it can. It really can't help but do so as it's recording the digital stream as-is from DirecTV or OTA ATSC. For that matter, the DirecTV SD DVR's can do it too.

Last edited by dswallow : 03-14-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:44 PM   #486
Tom in OH

excellent -- was hoping it would.... thx

I'm also hoping it will output the 5.1 stream though the HDMI and the optical out at same time. I'm not sure which connection I'll be using for audio with my system.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:51 PM   #487
stugrief

Note Now eagerly waiting like the rest of you...

After all the help from this and the pre-order thread, I've now ordered the $99 HD upgrade from DirecTV, and placed a deposit on the HR10-250 at Tweeter.

DirecTV insisted that I commit to the HD package for 1 year, but when I told the CSR that I really didn't want a higher monthly, she agreed to give me the HBO and Showtime parts of my service free for 6 months each, which pretty much covers the HD package for the year.

The Tweeter CSR told me they're expecting an initial shipment of 80 HR10-250s on April 15. Doesn't seem realistic, but one can hope. I am #30 on their list. Price is $999.99 but they have a price guarantee for 30 days. Although they won't match web prices, they will match other retailers like CC.

Thanks to all for the amazingly helpful info in these threads!
stugrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 04:53 PM   #488
feldon23
MythBuster

FAQ Update:

-Added quote about standalone TiVo from TiVo.com.
-Changed model # from Hughes HD-DVR250 to DIRECTV HR10-250.
-Added Zenith Silver Sensor antenna
-Updated CBS/Fox national HD/ED comments
-Updated 'Programming' section to mention NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA TV, Spice HD
-Added Spice HD to 'What's available in HDTV' section
-Reworded Fox 'Programming' section
-Split HBO and Showtime into 2 sections under 'Programming' section

Keep the suggestions rolling folks.

Last edited by feldon23 : 03-14-2004 at 05:47 PM.
feldon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 01:19 PM   #489
dlott

FCC pushing for faster DTV conversion

Looks like the FCC is going to push digital a little faster than most of us have thought:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...igitaltv_x.htm

"The plan would require the pay-TV (Cable/DBS) services to convert digital signals to analog so they could be viewed on analog TV sets, the kind most people now have, FCC officials told USA TODAY.

That would let the government reclaim broadcasters' analog TV channels in 2006 so they can be auctioned to wireless firms, paving the way for new and improved services and raising billions for the U.S. Treasury. Also, police and fire agencies are expected to use the airwaves to improve spotty radio systems."

"Under the plan, the government in 2006 would immediately reclaim broadcasters' analog channels in the dozens of markets where cable and satellite serve 85% of homes. The "must-carry" rules would then apply to broadcasters' digital signals. And the pay-TV systems would be required to convert digital signals to analog for consumers with analog sets.

The providers would still be able to supply pure digital signals to people with digital sets, FCC officials say.

Broadcasters, though, worry that consumers who don't have cable or satellite would have to shell out more than $100 for a digital-to-analog converter box, though FCC officials say a subsidy program could be arranged."
dlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #490
feldon23
MythBuster

Have to think about this one, but it seems like what I've been hoping would happen. When I first read it, I thought they meant that cable companies would be required to put more digital channels back on the analog tier but now I think they mean making sure that analog TVs can always pick up a good package of local and national channels.

This also pushes Must Carry for digital AND analog local TV stations a step further.

For everyone with a regular TV hooked up to analog cable or rabbit ears let's sell them a heavily subsidized $30-50 adapter box that lets them watch a good chunk of channels on that TV. And don't charge them a monthly fee for those TVs.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:08 PM   #491
Todd76

Re: FCC pushing for faster DTV conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by dlott
Looks like the FCC is going to push digital a little faster than most of us have thought:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...igitaltv_x.htm
For those who didn't follow the link, this is only a plan being considered at this time.
Todd76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:29 PM   #492
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

And remember, analog is just 480i. Pretty much any set-top box has some form of 480i output, including every HD box out there.

Not such a big deal.

Cable companies, however, have adopted a "give away free" model, which is great for consumers, but will kill the cable companies in the long run. They can't possibly pay for all this hardware at $0-$10 per month, now including DVR's in some markets.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:54 AM   #493
Chris Gerhard

A great thread, thanks to Feldon23. After reading this I am confident that DirecTV/TiVo will introduce a product that works well right from the start as the standard definition version did. My only complaint is no firewire but maybe the second generation will add that if the Dish Network PVR921 with firewire outperforms this PVR in the marketplace.

Now to search for the best place to put my order in.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:51 AM   #494
feldon23
MythBuster

FAQ Update:

-Added logos for each category
-Split Standalone and OpenCable
-Improved # of tuners in DirecTV section
-Added 'simultaneous output' comments.
-Improved visibility of 'No HMO' comments
-Corrected 'American Television Standards Committee' to 'Advanced Television Systems Committee'

I guess I need to start writing a little FAQ about what cable and other providers are offering.

Last edited by feldon23 : 03-17-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:11 PM   #495
martialman7

HD Tivo w/HD compatible

I have an "HD Compatible" tv that would ordinarily need a receiver. Will the Hughes HD-DVR250 act as a receiver as well or would I also need a receiver along with the Tivo?
martialman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:14 PM   #496
neilaevans

The HDTivo IS the receiver.
neilaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:14 PM   #497
slocko

Martial,

The HD-Tivo would not be able to record HD, if it wasn't an HD receiver.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:15 PM   #498
martialman7

HD Tivo w/HD compatible

Good news! Thanks.
martialman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:38 PM   #499
feldon23
MythBuster

A DirecTV with TiVo HDTV receiver is the only equipment (other than a dish with appropriate multiswitch) you need to receive and record HDTV programming.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:55 PM   #500
Bigg

What is the real deal with the digital broadcasting? i've heard about an 80% number that is it is not reached, the law will not happen. It is quite ridiculous though to stop broadcating in a way that has been used for 60 years. All of those little 2.6' tvs will be unusable, PIP and other functions will be unusable, and there aren't even any digital boxes out there that aren't HD and have a pricetag to reflect it. Requiring all stations to broadcast in digital, and giving them the option to get rid of the analog makes sense, but outlawing it? Someone needs to send some drug dogs to sniff out the marajauna these guys at the FCC are smoking. VCRs, TiVos and pc tuner cards would need converter boxes. these would have to be ir blasted without the possibility of twin channel watching w/o multiple boxes. AND the range of these digital is in many cases shorter, so people would no longer be able to watch the news from 5 different cities. Although many people will have digital sets, most of those willl still have analog second and third sets. THIS LAW IS RIDICULOUS!!!! maybe HD for 10% of all channels, but not THIS.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:58 PM   #501
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigg
What is the real deal with the digital broadcasting? i've heard about an 80% number that is it is not reached, the law will not happen. It is quite ridiculous though to stop broadcating in a way that has been used for 60 years. All of those little 2.6' tvs will be unusable, PIP and other functions will be unusable, and there aren't even any digital boxes out there that aren't HD and have a pricetag to reflect it. Requiring all stations to broadcast in digital, and giving them the option to get rid of the analog makes sense, but outlawing it? Someone needs to send some drug dogs to sniff out the marajauna these guys at the FCC are smoking. VCRs, TiVos and pc tuner cards would need converter boxes. these would have to be ir blasted without the possibility of twin channel watching w/o multiple boxes. AND the range of these digital is in many cases shorter, so people would no longer be able to watch the news from 5 different cities. Although many people will have digital sets, most of those willl still have analog second and third sets. THIS LAW IS RIDICULOUS!!!! maybe HD for 10% of all channels, but not THIS.
In sufficient quantity the digital tuner won't be very expensive at all. But getting to the point where this happens is the problem; in a price-competitive industry with very small margins, manufacturers aren't usually interested in being the first out there to force people into a new tuner. But if everyone has to do it at the same time, it might be possible.

Yes, equipment will become unusable without a separate receiver; that's why a phase-in period was established. Digital television is not something brand new sprung on us today and given 2 yearsw to completely replace analog broadcasts; this stuff has been in existence for years, and many stations have broadcast digitally for years. We're just now reaching a period where people can actually believe a critical mass can occur.

Old 03-18-2004, 03:04 PM   #502
Bigg

Certainly people are getting digital receivers and watching it in digital, but there are still millions of people who want to use NTSC tuners.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:36 PM   #503
hongcho

I think cable companies will still do NTSC (analog), looking at how OpenCable specs are written.

And "the real deal" as far as the intent of the transition is for the better utilization of the air wave frequencies. That usually translates to more money for some people.

Hong.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:03 PM   #504
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I hadn't thought much about the little portable television receivers; that's probably one device that's just gonna be obsoleted. I doubt anyone's going to produce a little portable ATSC receiver for them.

Old 03-18-2004, 04:09 PM   #505
feldon23
MythBuster

Well already ATSC receivers are pretty damn small. 5 inches by 3 inches by 3/4 inch surface mounted on an HDTV tuner PCI card.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:11 PM   #506
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
Well already ATSC receivers are pretty damn small. 5 inches by 3 inches by 3/4 inch surface mounted on an HDTV tuner PCI card.
That's a lot bigger than many little portable TV's I've seen.

Remember Seiko's watch TV, for example? It had a little battery pack with the tuner, but still was tiny compared to 5x3x3/4".

Old 03-18-2004, 04:12 PM   #507
Bigg

Who wants to pay them for a few channels to pip and such. Anyway, this new regulation is UNFAIR to every person in this country who owns an NTSC tuner. Which is like 250 million of us. theres probably like 400million or more tuners in the country. the numbers just don't add up for this regulation to work. I hope that there are not enough people with cable/sat to make this work, or someone stops the pot smoking i the FCC offices.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:16 PM   #508
feldon23
MythBuster

Bigg,

You're completely full of crap. There are not 250 million people watching TV with rabbit ears. Something like 25% have a TV that depends on OTA and something like 15% have their primary TV depending on OTA. For those people, a $30-50 adapter should be made available to tune in ATSC.

85% of the population has cable/satellite.

Last edited by feldon23 : 03-23-2004 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:17 PM   #509
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I own at least 6 NTSC tuners, and I can't wait for NTSC to go bye bye. So make that 249,999,994.

Old 03-18-2004, 06:53 PM   #510
Bigg

there are 250million people with NTSC tuners that will be obsolete. A LOT of people have rabbit ears in combo with D*/ E* or on a second TV that they don;t want to pay mirroring on, or they don't want to run a cable to. Also, a LOT of people have those little 5" tvs that have antennas, or the little LCD ones. if you don't like NTSC, don't use it. simple as that. if you do, do.An adapter that adds another ugly thingy to your entertainment center, doesn;t allow pip and is herder to control than the integrated tuner in a tivo or vcr.