TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2004, 11:59 PM   #91
ccwf
国際化 Member

I think you are the first TiVo owner here with that box, unfortunately. I would try asking your cable company if your box works with any universal remotes (other than their own), and, if so, what type of box should you tell the universal remote you have.

I know for the UK TiVo owners, if you have a Pronto remote (preferably) or a Palm PDA (or friends or neighbors with such), you can capture the IR codes from your cable box's remote and send the captured codes to TiVo, who will then send out the new codes for the box to everyone. I would imagine they do this for U.S. TiVos, too, although I don't know this for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:26 AM   #92
Subbacultcha

Thanks, Charles.

I'll give TiVo a call and see what they say about capturing codes. I have a Handspring Visor running Palm OS, will that work?

Also, there is no serial port on the box, but there is a rj45 pass thru marked "PC", another rj45 marked "SMP", and a pair of usb ports... Any chance of controlling the box trough those?

-Subbacultcha
Subbacultcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:22 PM   #93
ccwf
国際化 Member

Yes, the Handspring Visor should work. The easiest way to capture codes is with the OmniRemote program from Pacific Neo-Tek. (You can capture codes with the trial version.) Based on the experience of this Brits and Aussies, OmniRemote might not result in quite as a clean a capture as with a Pronto, but it should be good enough, possibly with a little manual hand-holding.

Here is moderator Gary Sargent's page on how to get codes added to UK TiVos with a link on how to do the captures. If TiVo is unable to handle the resultant captured data in CCF format directly, then we'd also need to get Gary or someone else's assistance with converting the CCF data into TiVo format.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 03-04-2004, 02:25 PM   #94
Subbacultcha

Thanks again.

Still trying to get my cable co to do some legwork and call the manufacturer, but if all else fails...

I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:53 PM   #95
ccwf
国際化 Member

Note: You can often use a floodlight or bright flashlight to locate the IR sensor in your cable or satellite box.

If the main post does not indicate otherwise, place the emitters according to the following diagram from TiVo's article How Do I Verify Cable and Satellite Box IR Cable Connections?:

However, some boxes work better with other placements for the IR emitters. For example, the DCT2000 series works best with the emitter attached directly to the face of the box over the IR sensor inside an IR fort/tent. Special instructions for boxes that need them are included in the main post.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 03-05-2004, 12:11 AM   #96
Subbacultcha

I can see the sensor, and i tested it with the cable remote. it's not that it is misfiring and switching to the wrong channel, it's not responding at all...

Hehe, called the regional sales dude for Myrio corp, and he actually called back... Said he'd ask the tech guys if they'd had any feedback about this box and TiVo.

Myrio main office and i3 Micro's US office, both in WA, let the machine pick up...
Old 03-05-2004, 07:35 AM   #97
Peterod

In re: to the Dishnetwork 322. Setting up the timer is a one time deal. Make sure that once you setup the timer you leave the timer on when you exit the screen. Leaving the screen without turning on the timer will not reset the 322. By default the timer is not turned on when you set it up.
Peterod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:49 PM   #98
Subbacultcha

My bad, Charles. Surfing impaired...
Old 03-08-2004, 06:38 PM   #99
blabes

Time Warner Cable of Dayton, Ohio, uses this Pioneer Voyager 3510HD set-top-box:

www dot pioneerbroadband dot com/products/voyager3510hd.asp

The unit has an "IR CONTROL jack" and a "Serial Port connector" on the rear. I don't suppose that either of these are inputs to which I could connect the TiVo's IR output, eh? Sure would be nice to get rid of those IR emitters that hang over the set-top-box...
blabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:44 AM   #100
icanhangout

Vision 20/20

My cable box is a Vision 20/20 box made by Alpha Products inc. It also goes by vx4000 (at least thats what it says on the bottom). The only code that I could find that worked was 10017 which can be found under the Orbit Brand name in the manufacture list. Hope I saved someone else the trouble of going through the list manually.
icanhangout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:42 AM   #101
dudemac

here is my problem, the channel will not change, i have done a tent and tried many codes, i have a GI cable box that looks like its clearview made

Clearview GI DCT1134/1151: 10021 Also, try the tips for the Motorola tips.

Found this info in the begining of this post. However, this code did not work on my tivo, and i tried all the things for moto cable box, can someone help?

Tivo Series 2 model 240040

Cox Cable, college station, texas

Last edited by dudemac : 03-23-2004 at 12:04 PM.
dudemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 06:34 PM   #102
mjp

Recently switched to Cox digital cable from dish network and the Tivo IR out to Motorola serial in works like a charm. This is Motorola DCT2524. It hasn't dropped a change yet, whereas the old Echostar box with IR blaster and foil tent dropped one in 25 changes (and that after many days of testing/optimizing).

Granted this is only after a couple hundred changes and not months or years of use, but so far I'm impressed.
mjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:45 PM   #103
dudemac

well i am going crazy, i have redone the tent/fort to alum foil. done what another forum suggests and taken on of the IR blasters and put it behind the cable box.

I have also tried every code for Moto, Clearview, and GI and nothing.

No serial connection here, but i am wondering if it could be my cable box.

any ideas?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:10 PM   #104
ccwf
国際化 Member

dudemac, are you getting absolutely no response at all? Is it possible that your IR emitter cable is not plugged in all the way or is damaged? (The emitter cable can stop working if badly bent.) There are posts earlier in this thread on how to use a digital camera to see if IR is coming out of the IR emitters.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 03-24-2004, 08:16 PM   #105
dudemac

well i feel like a moron and then some, the wifi usb card was pushing on the ir cable and i guess not making a connection.

Thanks ccwf, i never saw the post about that but the info really helped.

well now i look forward to many hours of tivo fun.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:40 PM   #106
mohanram
TiVo CraZy

SIR-TS360 IR Code

I have a Samsung SIR-Ts360 HDTV reciever and my Tivo is unable to change channels on this receiver properly. It misses the first few digits of the channel on most occassions. So changing to channel 506 results in changing to channel 06 or sometimes 6

Does anyone know of the correct IR codes for this receiver. I am using 10062. But I am having all the above problems with this code. This code worked fine on the SIR-TS160

Raj

Proud Owner of ~250 hours Series2 TiVo & 150 Hours Series1 Sony TiVo
mohanram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:56 AM   #107
gkovler

can't find cable box setup

i see the instructions but can't find the cable box setup....i do not get that option in my setup and so i cannot tivo any channel that is not showing on the box.....what am i doing wrong? thanks....gail
gkovler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 06:27 PM   #108
s.u.p.e.r.d.a.d

Philips DSH D800R

Hughes 10020 (Medium) works!
s.u.p.e.r.d.a.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 03:59 AM   #109
alansh

Just in case someone wonders what a Motorola RG2200 is, Next Level has been bought out by Motorola. The RG2200 is now a Motorola product. However, TiVo will still list it as "Next Level" for now, and it's possible Qwest is still providing equipment with the Next Level name on it rather than Motorola.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:10 AM   #110
mjp

Quote:
Originally posted by ccwf
You mean the TiVo serial out to Motorola serial in? So, you're not using an IR code with that, right?
Correct. My bad - yes, it's the serial out to the Motorola serial in. Still haven't dropped a channel change!
mjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:58 PM   #111
imtigger2

Exclamation Help! Don't have a serial menu option...

Hi all...

I've been searching these forums and Tivo help for HOURS now and can't find my answer, so here goes:

Equip: Sony SVR-2000 Motorola DCT2224

I hooked up the serial cable correctly, double-checked that it was in. Then, changed my Tivo setup for the Digital Cable Ext. service, etc.

All my connections are correct, but I don't have the option in my menu's to change to a serial cable connection! It only shows (or allows) an IR connection. I'm baffled by this.

I have software ver: 3.0-01-1-010

Per the Tivo site, I should be able to go to it from TiVo Central, select Messages & Setup; then Recorder & Phone Setup; then Cable/Satellite Box, then Control Cable Setup; then Cable Box; then Serial Cable.

When I get to the Cable Box option and click it, there's no "Control Cable Setup" option to select to go to Serial Cable. I get only these two options; "Connection to Recorder" (which brings me to my video/audio connections... which are correct and working) and "Cable Box Setup" (which brings me to the IR setup... which code to select) there's NO option for Serial Cable.

Am I missing something??

Thanks,

Dan Bejma
Carlsbad, CA
TivoHD w/ 1TB Internal 1241hrs SD / 142hrs HD
Sony SVR-2000 203hrs, 1st retail unit.
Sony SVR-2000 265hrs
Sony SVR-2000 485hrs
imtigger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:40 PM   #112
imtigger2

Quote:
Originally posted by ccwf
First, the cable box's serial port must be enabled by the cable company (instructions are in the main post). Second, non-Series2 TiVo DVRs must have a hack applied to enable serial control in the TiVo (link to instructions are in the main post).
Well... I confirmed that the port is enabled through my cable company. Does it take the software to detect that the port is enabled before it will show the serial option?

As for the hack... sorry, I didn't see that small link for what I needed to do there... I found the thread I needed there (which I couldn't find before for some reason). I don't understand why a hack is needed because on the Tivo site (TiVo's articleChanging Channels on a DCT2000 Series Cable Box Using the Serial Control Cable), it shows that serial communication is immediately available through software ver. 3.0 and higher on a Series 1 Tivo, which is what I have. Doesn't make sense.

Anyway... sucks ta be me. I was hoping for a remote-control code or something, not a Linux hack. Now I have to tear apart my Tivo if I wanna use Serial.

Thanks for all your help, and the speed in which you did it!

Dan B
Carlsbad, CA
Sony SVR-2000 265hrs
Sony SVR-2000 485hrs
Old 04-17-2004, 11:47 PM   #113
ccwf
国際化 Member

The article you referenced indicates serial control is possible with 3.0 if your service number begins with 130 or 230. Does your service number begins with either of those numbers?

TiVo

中日韓
Old 04-18-2004, 12:14 AM   #114
imtigger2

I saw that (and more confusion ensued... ha!)

My number starts with 010, not even close. I figured I just couldn't find the number they were talking about.

Silly me.

Sony SVR-2000 265hrs
Sony SVR-2000 485hrs
Old 04-19-2004, 12:39 PM   #115
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Charles,

You may want to add a notation to the entry for the Dish 301 regarding the unsubscribed channels compatibility issue. If the "Channels You Receive" preferences are set incorrectly, the TiVo can get stuck on the "You do not subscribe to this channel" error message, from which a "channel up" or "channel down" keypress on the Dish remote itself is required to recover.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:11 PM   #116
ccwf
国際化 Member

There was already an orange warning on this in the general notes for DISH receivers. I've now made the warning more verbose and added a sentence about using the DISH remote channel up/down to recover.

On my TODO list is creating a web version of the main post that will, when a cable/satellite box is selected, automatically show the general notes for the manufacturer of the box in addition to the notes for the specific model. Right now, people have to look those up separately, and I worry that most people may not realize that general DISH notes exist in addition to the specific entries for individual DISH receivers. Yet, the general notes are too lengthy to duplicate in each individual entry.

Hmmm. I should probably add a sentence to each individual DISH receiver entry saying to also look at the general DISH notes.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 04-19-2004, 01:34 PM   #117
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Shoot. Can't believe I missed that, and I was scanning for it too. It might have been the orange highlight; it's a bit hard to read against the yellow forum background.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:37 PM   #118
stars67

Phillips DSX5500

Okay - it is late, I'm tired and my Phillips DSX5500 which we just had installed today is really starting to irritate me!

I have it set for 10038, medium. It seems to work fine if I am sitting right in front of the box, but whenever I move back to the couch, I get spotty success. This doesn't make any sense to me!

Do I need to contact our installer and tell them the Philips just won't work with our TIVO and I need something else?

It's bad enough we've lived without cable/satellite for the last four days - thank God we had a small selection of items to watch off of our TIVO.

Any advice on how to make this Phillips receiver work would be appreciated!

Becky
stars67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:59 PM   #119
Mike20878
Jake & Adam's dad

DCT6200 Section

Can you please fix the links to the specific referenced posts? They currently link to the beginning of the thread instead of the specific posts.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike20878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:50 PM   #120
VinceA

Found out today that the latest firmware pushed to Scientific Atlanta 4200 boxes by Cablevision added a new option that allows the box to be turned on when a channel change is sent to the box. This means that if the box powers down (on purpose or accidentally) it will power back up when the TiVo changes the channel. In the settings look for "setower on keys" and select "Power and Numeric". I tried it out here and it seems to work pretty well.
VinceA is offline   Reply With Quote