TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-29-2004, 02:04 PM   #31
r1ngx

Quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
At present no 802.11g USB adapter is supported. A list of the supported adapters can be found at http://www.tivo.com/adapters -- The router you have will work with one of the supported 802.11b adapters
FYI: if you connect any 802.11b adapter to your 802.11g network, your ENTIRE network becomes 802.11b.
r1ngx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 02:56 PM   #32
tralfaz

You cannot connect an 802.11b adapter to an 802.11g network. They aren't the same protocol. The router must support the protocol you are connecting with. The Linksys wrt54g router supports both 802.11b and 802.11g.

However, connecting an 802.11b adapter does not in any way impede 802.11g connections to the same router.

I have the Linksys wrt54g router. My TiVo uses the the Linksys wusb12 wireless USB adapter, which uses 802.11b protocol. My centrino laptop works with 802.11a, b, or g, and when I am home, it connects via 802.11g at 54Mb. My TiVo is obviously using the 802.11b protocol on the same network and both work just fine at the same time.
tralfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:43 PM   #33
CJDOG

During setup I only had the option for 10 or 26bit key or entering a passphrase. Neither will working in my wireless network config. I have a 40 bit key but the field is locked at 26! Is anyone doing 64 or 128 WEP on their Tivo USB adapters?
CJDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:19 AM   #34
bkeith

I don't understand why support wasn't implemented for the Prism chipset, which would have automatically enabled a wide range of adapters. Netstumbler, Knoppix and PHLAK did so, albeit for different reasons, but it seems like one way to go that would get a lot of people up and running, without having to hunt around for a few specific models.

Is this likely to come any time soon?
bkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:32 PM   #35
GeoBau

So I've set up four Tivo boxes for friends and family, and now I get to do one for myself. a) WOOHOO! b) DOH! I never set up a phone line when I moved in here (how 1900s is that? sheesh). I've got a cable modem, but haven't set up a network yet. I've got a Linksys USB100M adapter that will allow me to plug an ethernet connection into USB, but will I need to get a router, etc. first? Am I able to unplug the connection from the computer, and run it through the adapter into the USB? I'm guessing not, but I'm quite a neophite at networking... I set up a wireless network at home, but so far I've not had to deal with the theory behind it. Any help/links? I've searched the site quite a bit, and will continue to do so. Many thanks in advance,

G
GeoBau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:38 PM   #36
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoBau
Am I able to unplug the connection from the computer, and run it through the adapter into the USB?
Some ISPs let you just unplug your computer and plug in something else instead. Others need you to inform them first whenever you switch. But you need to plug into the cable modem's Ethernet port, not the USB port, and you might need a crossover cable instead of a regular Ethernet cable. If you have further questions, you should start a new thread to ask them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:01 PM   #37
GeoBau

Thanks for the quick reply. I recall the lady on the other end of the line saying "Now, this will only work for one computer" when I called to set up my cable modem. *sigh* I should just get a phone line again...

G
Old 03-02-2004, 09:20 PM   #38
bedelman
Call me Bob

Many cable modems automatically "learn" the MAC address of the computer to which they're connected when the cable modem is powered up. When this is the case, connecting the cable modem the way you want it and then powering the cable modem off and then back on takes care of this. Just remember to power up the cable modem last.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:29 PM   #39
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoBau
I recall the lady on the other end of the line saying "Now, this will only work for one computer" when I called to set up my cable modem. *sigh* I should just get a phone line again...
That just means one at a time.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 03-02-2004, 09:49 PM   #40
GeoBau

I plugged the cable modem into the Tivo via the adapter, then rebooted the modem. #401 didn't work after rebooting Tivo as well (didn't expect it to. God doesn't like me that much). Anyway, I then plugged the ethernet cable back into the comp. and noticed that it didn't work until after I reset it. It had to learn the MAC address... I'll plug it into my laptop and see if it works with other devides, as well.
Many thanks,

G
Old 03-06-2004, 02:43 AM   #41
davidsigep

Quote:
Originally posted by tralfaz

However, connecting an 802.11b adapter does not in any way impede 802.11g connections to the same router.

I have the Linksys wrt54g router. My TiVo uses the the Linksys wusb12 wireless USB adapter, which uses 802.11b protocol. My centrino laptop works with 802.11a, b, or g, and when I am home, it connects via 802.11g at 54Mb. My TiVo is obviously using the 802.11b protocol on the same network and both work just fine at the same time.
I would copy a large file on your network with the 802.11b device (tivo) connected and time it. Then disconnect tivo, power cycle the router to reset it (some wrt54g firmware does not properly reset back to the higher 54mbps speed when the b device is disconnected unless it is reset). Then perform the same test copying the file across the wireless net. You'll find your speed is reduced to b-speed ~11mbps, despite what the driver tells you.

It's an unfortunate limitation of the 802.11g protocol that the speed is slowed when a b device connects.
davidsigep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:26 PM   #42
sshepherd

I'm kinda of confused about the home networking with Tivo.

My situation right now is I have no phone service, just a cell phone, and a cable modem, plus Adelphia Cable.

What I would like to do is setup a Toshiba Series 2 DVD/Tivo Combo to use a linksys wireless adapter to get scheduling/updates.

Can I do this with the new Tivo update by just entering in some number like #400 or whatever is the dialing out settings?

Also is this a free feature as part of the Tivo update? Or do I have to buy the home media flag for $99 which I refuse to do, all I want is to update over my internet service.

I am planning on buying the Toshiba so I'm not locked into this, I'm just worried Tivo will want a bunch of extra money beyong the $299 plus $13/mo when I'd be saving them money using my broadband and not their phone lines.

I do currently have a older Sony 2000 series tivo collecting dust too, but from what I understand it'd cost about as much to 'hack' to get networking and more space than just buying a new tivo.

Any help is appreciated.. I miss my DVR!
sshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:32 PM   #43
drusoicy

You dont need to buy home networking to use your wireless network to connect to the Tivo service.

However, you do need to set up your Tivo using a phone line if you dont have the right adapter.
drusoicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:33 PM   #44
sshepherd

That's nice to know!

I'm reading up more but since I never even got to really use my Sony 2000 series I'll probably to get that working with one of the $8 serial cables connected to my WinXp computer for updates over the 'net.
sshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:46 PM   #45
Jim89523

I just hooked up a TiVo yesterday and struggled through a problem that might be of interest to other newbies! While trying to connect the TiVo to my network today, I could not see "Edit Phone and Network Settings". I had noticed that after going through the 'Guided Setup', the software version was shown as 4.0.1 rather than 4.0.1b! After failing to find information, FAQ says that the TiVo should update after making a connection over the phone, I phoned Tech Support. I was advised that it takes several connections and several days to fully update to the latest version, unless the user forces the phone connections until the software version is updated on the 'System Information' page.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:46 AM   #46
ruc2827

Quote:
Originally posted by tralfaz
However, connecting an 802.11b adapter does not in any way impede 802.11g connections to the same router
While adding a 802.11b client to an 802.11g WLAN does not impede (meaning prevent from working) other 802.11g client connections, its does significantly degrade performance of all client connections, both 802.11g and 802.11b.

While technically all 802.11g equipment supports an interop mode with 802.11b clients and vice versa, the former causes the WAP to go into a compatibility mode which effectively reduces the throughput of all connections from the normal 22mbs max throughput (yes 22mbs kids) to a max throuhput of approx 11mbs. This can be avoided by adding a separate 802.11g WAP or wireless router (you can connect multiple routers together; you just need to create two separate subnets, e.g. 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x), and setting the 802.11g WAP/router to only allow G clients to connect, ensuring that the full max 22mbs transfer rate is preserved.
ruc2827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 02:44 PM   #47
thailife

Hello All. Just got a Tivo yesterday, the 40 hour series 2 model. Hooked it up easily, Sony tv, dvd, reciever and General Instruments cable box. Was a little mad that I had to use a phone line at first. Did the setup, no problem. The message said, 4 to 8 hours to process the info. I waited 4 hours then had the Tivo connect to the Tivo service. The Tivo downloaded for about 40 minutes then I restarted it. As soon as it restarted it found my Linksys wusb11, version 2.8, I configured it and WOOHOO, wireless conection. No problems for me so far. Less than 6 hours from the time I opened the box to the time all updates were done and I was using the Tivo with wireless. From what I read here, I am lucky.
thailife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:37 AM   #48
scguidry

WUSB11 ver 2.8

OK, My frustration level is high
New Tivo Series 2.
Software version 4.0.1-01-2-240
WUSB11 - ver 2.8

Tivo is not recognizing the network adapter. Works with my laptop. I go to phone and network settings and I only see phone options.

What gives? What can I do to make this work?

SCG
scguidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:50 AM   #49
ccwf
国際化 Member

As indicated by TiVoOpsMgr in the link in the very first post in this thread, you will need to use a phone to upgrade because the v2.8 WUSB11 wasn't supported until 4.0.1a. The current software, 4.0.1b, should get downloaded in the first phone call after completing initial guided setup. Then, force a reboot or wait for your TiVo to reboot itself, and your WUSB11 v2.8 should be recognized.

TiVo

中日韓

Last edited by ccwf : 03-16-2004 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #50
scguidry

WUSB11

Done

Thanks

SCG
Old 03-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #51
scguidry

WUSB11

Done

Thanks

SCG
Old 03-25-2004, 09:34 AM   #52
r1ngx

Quote:
No, you are wrong.

[LiNK]
r1ngx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:00 PM   #53
fly_records

Re: So pissed off.

Quote:
Originally posted by HalcyonGT
So I bought the Pioneer Series 2 Unit only because I was told I could utilize it without a phone line and upon reading the setup instructions find this to be a complete lie. I've read the countless posts of entering ,#401 in the dial prefix during guided setup....it does NOT bypass the phone setting and the unit does not detect the D-Link USB adapter! Now my only option is to spend additional money to either get a wired USB adapter and have an unsightly ethernet cable going from one side of the room to other. Or calling Qwest to re-establish my land line that I worked tirelessly to get rid of and pay an additional $15 a month. Which BTW, they can't even do it for another week!!!

Furthermore, where in the process does the unit even detect the wireless USB adapter? After Guided Setup or before?!? This by far has got to be the most frustrating device I've ever had to configure/install/setup; and I engineer LAN/WANs for a living!!
Hey man, I felt your pain cause I have the exact equipment you have, and encountered the exact same issue. It WILL work - but you have to leave it plugged into the phone jack for a few days until it gets the full on update it needs to provide you with the usb options. Then you'll have the option to connect with the d-link usb and update its firmware for tivo and unplug that darn phone cord! This all happenes after guided setup - you just have to wait til to see the magic message pop up on your tivo screen saying its ready for all that. But it should only take a few days of leaving your phone line plugged into it.

I hope this is a help to anyone else who experiences this, as I was running around in circles over this issue myself!
fly_records is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 01:38 PM   #54
Cyberg

Thanks Everybody in this Forum!!!

I'm a very happy new owner of a 40hr S2, thanks to this forum I was able to configure my Tivo on my wireless network w/o sweat, not having a land line at home, I took my Tivo to a friends house, it took about 4 hrs to download all the updates and detected my wireless NIC, after that only had to take it home and plug it to the TV and power, when I relized that I forgot the power cord and had to drive back to my friends house, that was the only bad experience.

I decided to buy the Tivo finally when I found that Circuit City has it for $180 - $50 mail-in rebate = $138 w/tax

A quick tip here, after Tivo downloads the programing guide, it shows that the indexing process can take from 4 to 8 hrs, mine took about 90 min. I found that you can see the progress of the indexing process, you can find that on the option where you force the call to Tivo services (don't remember the name, anyone can correct me if I'm wrong) I only play with it for a couple of hours last night ;-)

I have a W-base MS MN-500, using 128 bit WEP and MAC filtering, no problems there.

Thanks Again!
Old 04-01-2004, 03:42 PM   #55
bedelman
Call me Bob

The amount of time that indexing takes depends on the number of channels in your lineup. More data --> More time to index.

Welcome to the TiVolution!

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:26 PM   #56
AtlCub

WiFi Partially working.

Good Afternoon,
Just finally bought a Series 2.. had an upgraded Sony Series1 for ages. Got the 4.0.1b update, it recognizes my LinkSys version 2.6 usb card fine, the Test Connection works, connects, updates clock, then disconnects. But when I try to do a daily call, it hangs at the Configuring...... prompt for about 2 minutes then fails.

I have a Netgear WRT624 B/G wap running in mixed mode, Tivo is on DHCP and receives an IP just fine, DHCP server sees Tivo come in and gives it an IP so I think I'm ok that way, else I figure the test connect would fail as well.

I've tried giving it a static IP with all the related info for my network, I've tried soft boot, cold boot, unplug/replug the NIC. I'm getting 90% signal (excellent) so I don't think that's the issue.

I read on the forum on the tivo.com page where at least one other is having the exact same hang at Configuring... but no one has answered him there.

Any clue ?

Thanks.
AtlCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:17 AM   #57
olivejuice

anybody tried using Netgear MA111 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter with tivo?

i asked because this is currently cheaper than the netgear MA101 wireless usb adapter for it's rebate.

thanks
olivejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:43 PM   #58
ejeckert

I have a Toshiba SD-h400 and I need to update the software on my tivo before I could get it to work. I am a network admin by trade so I was hoping my knowlegde of computer would help me. It did. But I needed to have my Tivo at 5.1.1b to detect my Netgear MA111...which someone mentioned in this thread that it is a g/b USB adapter...It is only a 802.11b. I have my card setup with WEP (128-bit) and my access point is mac address filter (cant have enough security) as well as the SSID is no broadcasting..hey it comes with the trade. It works excellect and the MA111 is small and comes with a 18" usb extension cord...oh and best buy has it for 49 before a 20 dollar rebate so its a good deal!! Just remember the toshiba must be updated to 5.1.1b the 5.1.01 doesnt see any USB adapter...at least mine didnt! Good luck. I like the MA111 it seems to work well and if you use WEP make sure your key in the router is HEX as well as HEX in the Tivo. The Alpha keys dont work with the MA111...at least I couldnt get it to work so stick with the HEX key for WEP!! Good luck
ejeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:10 PM   #59
ccwf
国際化 Member

At this point, basically all the wireless manufacturers use different methods for converting alpha keys to hex for WEP. Consequently, alpha WEP keys generally are useful only when dealing with other equipment from the same manufacturer.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 05-10-2004, 12:31 PM   #60
ejeckert

Exactly!
ejeckert is offline   Reply With Quote